Ban Smurf Accounts

Competitive Discussion
12/09/2017 07:22 AMPosted by dunc
The rigged MMR system encourages smurfs, for one specific reason.

It does the opposite of that. .
Smurfs are not a problem. If they aren't throwing to go down the ladder and then go back up. If they simply play there placements on another account they most likely belong there. Usually end up at the same level they originally are. So the idea of banning smurfs in general isn't a realistic solution.
Really the only way for blizzard to deal with smurfs properly (if they become too much of a problem to higher rank/level players) is to bump up the minimum level to get in ranked so that smurfs and noobs need to work harder for it... Otherwise Blizzard cannot just ban accounts just because they bought the game again. It's like getting really good at the Bop it toys and then buy a new one with friends and pretend that you have no idea how to shake it. It just seems pointless and a waste of money after that. It hurts more for smurfs to pay another $20-$60 than for you to lose 1 ranked game with them in it.
Lol u mad?

Good luck getting blizzard to ban smurf accounts it wasnt against the rules when those accounts were purchased and they arent against the rules even now. so you might as well ask blizz to refund game+lootboxes bought+compensation if they suddenly change their rules and ban.
12/09/2016 09:27 PMPosted by Texas
the point of a smurf account is to troll lower rated players seriously they should be banned they make this game worse

Not true. Sure there are those who do it. My smurf (this account) was solely used for the purpose of learning characters at the skill level I could perform with those characters. My main is a big higher because there I play characters I know how to play.
I have a "smurf" that is higher than my main presently. Just because you lose to someone that is low level doesn't mean they took the time to derank just to kick your !@#. You probably just lost. Even if you get rolled. That doesn't mean I'm a "smurf".
As you can see, many of the smurf accounts have the mentality of responding in "lolz, lool, u mad bro?"

Enough said.. not the brightest light bulbs...
12/09/2016 07:28 PMPosted by Texas
It is really easy just ban multiple accounts linked to the same ip and computer etc... Smurfs are more frustrating than hackers and trolls combined.

No! Everybody thought I was a smurf when I started playing, but this was the first Xbox game I've ever played. My boyfriend also plays overwatch, so multiple IPs could mean multiple people in the household playing.
blizzard will never ban smurf accounts. they like money too much.
It is really easy just ban multiple accounts linked to the same ip and computer etc... Smurfs are more frustrating than hackers and trolls combined.

Smurfing is a good business model and sets them up for success. Why would they ruin that model, it works, it brings money. Also, lets dive deeper the MMR, in this game particularly is enough to get ppl to buy an account just to get a rank higher. Unless you are a high diamond or above, its really difficult to get the 300 + SR you want if your high gold low plat, i'm sure in the lower ranks it works that way as well.. idk for sure, esp if you have a long history on your account, really doesn;t matter how much you improve that track record of old play will haunt you, hence ppl buy new accounts and get higer MMR and typically have a better experince, not everyone, but you get the point.

Despite Blizz's reputation, and everything they release on the PR side... they are the forefront of the industry, everything is curtailed to money.. think about it.

Also, this "skill based matchmaking" really is everything but, a lot of factors stray away from it...
smurfs are for practicing heroes without ruining the rank of the main account, but that may mean losses for your team
"smurfs wont be banned they are more profit for blizzard" well no it isnt because the majority of smurfs buy cheap keys on other websites so the profits dont go to blizzard. They only allow it to save money on a team already stretched thin having to ban people through toxicity etc. Its the only way they can keep up this smug "we are the toxicitybusters of gaming"! So we suffer so Blizzard can build up a fake eco friendly appearance whilst snorting their own farts like all them Hybrid drivers do!
I think people need to clarify that there’s a difference between smurf and people buying alternate accounts to plays as good as they can for various reason
12/09/2016 07:43 PMPosted by PotusPanda
A, any good smurf is going to be in GMs+ so you should have nothing to worry about. B if there is a "smurf" at 2800rating then he sure isn't a good smurf lol.

Not really the only definition, I've had quite a # games where someone is smurfing on someone else's account to boost them up. It's quite frustrating when you're getting stomped by a gold/plat that is playing like he has an aimbot at godmode level. Sometime's they'll even type in chat "...I'm playing on my little brother's account...etc...".
I got this account to see what would happen if I wanted to play another role type instead of "YOU HAVE x HOURS ON <THOSETHINGS> YOU SHOULD PLAY THOSE".

Not even level 10 before I was placed with people with people in Mid plat/Diamond/Masters and people in the 400s to whatever gold border is.

I was briefly playing against bronzes. For a couple hours.

Their hidden MMR for accounts in QP apparently thinks I should play with minimum midplat to masters. We'll see what I place in season once I get 25.

Honestly, the only way you are playing against smurfs that aren't at their level is if it's <SUPER fresh>, which I was with brand new accounts as well, and then placed with other, I assume, smurfs (as everyone under 25 was in the same games with the diamonds).

Remind me, what is the justification for banning "smurfs"? On my other account, all I see is people decayed out of GM/master. That's far more of an issue than smurfs are.
12/25/2017 08:39 PMPosted by GeffKaplan
12/09/2016 07:43 PMPosted by PotusPanda
A, any good smurf is going to be in GMs+ so you should have nothing to worry about. B if there is a "smurf" at 2800rating then he sure isn't a good smurf lol.

Not really the only definition, I've had quite a # games where someone is smurfing on someone else's account to boost them up. It's quite frustrating when you're getting stomped by a gold/plat that is playing like he has an aimbot at godmode level. Sometime's they'll even type in chat "...I'm playing on my little brother's account...etc...".

That's not smurfing.
That's account sharing.
That's against the ToS.

ITT: Literally asking to ban people who are performing bannable offenses but confusing it with "smurfing".

Please, seriously, learn the difference.

Smurfs aren’t the problem. Just because people smurf doesn’t mean they’re throwing. The entire point of low elo sbmm is to help smurfs get to their mains rank. I have multiple accounts and sure when I first got those accounts I wrecked low elo for maybe 5-10 levels in quick play. Then I started playing against people in masters until I hit 25. I then played comp and played my weakest heros and placed around 33/3400 and by the time I had played 20 matches my smurf was 3700ish. There are loads of people who make Smurf’s to just practice heros they’re not good with.
let me clear one thing.
There are types of smurfs in this game

- Otp smurf (playing for the win so he/she plays as his/her main in this account too. You can add the boosting accounts in this category too)
- Alternative smurf (Trying different heroes than his/her main)
- Adaptive smurf (Trying different heroes than his/her main but when he/she thinks he/she does not do well, he/she swaps to his/her main)

If you get an otp smurf in your team, it is most likely a team wipe to your enemy team. And there will be no fun at all because of the lack of the competition.

If you get an alternative smurf in your team, your team members will start to blame her/him for throwing as usual. You will most likely lose the match because of not adapting the picks.

If you get an adaptive smurf in your team, game will look like you are losing the match, then everything will turn around and you will most likely win the match.

In any cases, you can revert these 3 possible scenarios with your team and your enemy team. So smurf accounts harm the game mechanics and the fun of it. There is only one possible way to fix this issue which is ban all these accounts permanently.

You may think that if you are an alternative smurf, there is no way to improve yourself in your current account. Yes, there is. You can play qp. If you want to play comp then you should also do it in your main account. It is competitive game. if you dont lose match, it will lack the meaning of itself.
12/26/2017 02:34 AMPosted by Defaulticus
let me clear one thing.

- Otp smurf (playing for the win so he/she plays as his/her main in this account too. You can add the boosting accounts in this category too)
- Adaptive smurf (Trying different heroes than his/her main but when he/she thinks he/she does not do well, he/she swaps to his/her main)

If you get an otp smurf in your team, it is most likely a team wipe to your enemy team. And there will be no fun at all because of the lack of the competition.

If you get an alternative smurf in your team, your team members will start to blame her/him for throwing as usual. You will most likely lose the match because of not adapting the picks.

If you get an adaptive smurf in your team, game will look like you are losing the match, then everything will turn around and you will most likely win the match.

In any cases, you can revert these 3 possible scenarios with your team and your enemy team. So smurf accounts harm the game mechanics and the fun of it. There is only one possible way to fix this issue which is ban all these accounts permanently.

You may think that if you are an alternative smurf, there is no way to improve yourself in your current account. Yes, there is. You can play qp. If you want to play comp then you should also do it in your main account. It is competitive game. if you dont lose match, it will lack the meaning of itself.
Those aren’t banable offenses 1 & 3 will win the game and get more sr than everyone else in the game and climb to their real rank faster. Option 2 is the same thing as one tricking and that’s not banable either
12/26/2017 02:53 AMPosted by Nexus
12/26/2017 02:34 AMPosted by Defaulticus
let me clear one thing.

Those aren’t banable offenses 1 & 3 will win the game and get more sr than everyone else in the game and climb to their real rank faster. Option 2 is the same thing as one tricking and that’s not banable either

Yes. it is not bannable now. We are arguing here that these cases should be bannable ones. Because if someone breaks the fun of the game, what is the meaning of playing it?. It is a game which people play for getting fun with it.