Hook 2.0 is bad (From Roadhog main)

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
01/06/2017 05:24 PMPosted by Adderite
I would be with you. But the problem is they didnt want BS hooks to be a problem. SO even if it is the majority of the body. if it hits a wall, it breaks.

The other problem is the fact there are 0 comments and you hid the like/dislike bar.
Sorry but dont just hide the dislikes your video is getting just cause "its my opinion"

The issue is that there was no bull!@#$ hooks, just bull%^-* momentum, and janky animations.
01/06/2017 05:11 PMPosted by cyx
So about 30% of a players model must be out of LOS of the Roadhog in order for the hook not to register? Doesn't make much sense to me.
The hook displayed in the video absolutely should've registered, but as iSinner said, it's like the McCree ultimate. It must be center mass.
Anyway, Roadhog is pretty much a dead hero, cause if the enemy team knows that there is a Roadhog on the other team, they can just exploit the center of mass by just peaking a corner and shooting the hog, or just pressing A-D constantly and shooting him behind a wall, and the hog won't be able to do a thing due to the two factors I mentioned.

Hogs will learn to avoid people in cover and focus on those in open areas (which there will be plenty of). Combine that with the fact that the new combo does more damage now and things might ballance each other out.

I get that the partial cover is not ideal but I see it less unfair than the previous iteration
01/06/2017 05:08 PMPosted by Malmström
...And what about the thousands of completely illegitimate hooks that have worked so far?

Pull through walls, floors, buildings, and so on.

Hell, a couple of games ago I got hooked while I was standing on the Roadhog's HEAD and he just fired it off in a random direction and got me. This is a welcome change. At least now when I watch a killcam of a Roadhog hooking me and blasting me in the face, I won't have to watch him COMPLETELY MISS THE HOOK yet still get me.

How many !@#$ing times do I have to explain this to people who don't %^-*ing play Roadhog? The hook lands before you go around a corner, and because of a mechanic that isn't Roadhog's fault (it affects McCree's flashbang too) you get a small amount of extra momentum to get around that corner for no reason (when abilities like Reinhardt's charge aren't affected by it). There's also a small delay between the hook landing and it pulling. So because the chain has no hitbox, the game has to try and figure out the best way to move you to Roadhog, and it generally thinks that through walls is the quickest way to keep up with the speed of the game. If it went around walls, you wouldn't be !@#$%ing, even though you'd wind up with the same result. Yet here we are.

The issue of him hooking you while he was above you was because they needed to nerf the hitbox, which they didn't.

+1
01/06/2017 05:26 PMPosted by Mirkea
So about 30% of a players model must be out of LOS of the Roadhog in order for the hook not to register? Doesn't make much sense to me.
The hook displayed in the video absolutely should've registered, but as iSinner said, it's like the McCree ultimate. It must be center mass.
Anyway, Roadhog is pretty much a dead hero, cause if the enemy team knows that there is a Roadhog on the other team, they can just exploit the center of mass by just peaking a corner and shooting the hog, or just pressing A-D constantly and shooting him behind a wall, and the hog won't be able to do a thing due to the two factors I mentioned.

Hogs will learn to avoid people in cover and focus on those in open areas (which there will be plenty of). Combine that with the fact that the new combo does more damage now and things might ballance each other out.

I get that the partial cover is not ideal but I see it less unfair than the previous iteration

So the only counter to people in cover, other than Junkrat, should be nerfed because people don't want their only strategy to be counterable?
I have said it in another thread, if this goes through as it is, Roadhog will be F tier, in fact I don't see him being picked at all.

Roadhog needs way further testing and fixes. This fixes the wall hook thing but ends up only benefiting the victim. He is just an ultimate feeder now unless Blizz fixes his hook even more.
01/06/2017 04:58 PMPosted by Mirkea
So it doesn't work when the victom is partially in cover
good
So it's ok for Widow and Hanzo to one shot when they can barely see them, but Roadhog doesn't?
Blizzard, making Roadhog hook useless is not the solution... To fix a previous problem you should not create another bigger.
I played PTR today in another account an hour of quick play with Roadhog and also custom game against AI and I can say the hook is now completely broken.
01/06/2017 05:36 PMPosted by BT160919
01/06/2017 04:58 PMPosted by Mirkea
So it doesn't work when the victom is partially in cover
good
So it's ok for Widow and Hanzo to one shot when they can barely see them, but Roadhog doesn't?
Because they don't like Roadhog. It's as simple as that. They're just butthurt because he's in the meta because of another hero. No one wants to stop the cause, just the symptoms.
01/06/2017 05:26 PMPosted by Mirkea

So you're saying that Hog will now only be good in wide open areas?
That's a really good way of making Roadhog to a "Uhhh... Are you trolling?" pick.
We have a fix for this coming soon onto the PTR, as well as other fixes (such as being able to throw people behind you if you spin before the hook lands).

I'm also playing around with the ability for the hook to slow down a player when it impacts them, especially if they are in the air. This should help some of the more extreme cases where a player was strafe jumping and got hooked, but just before they get pulled they traveled a good 3-4 meters before breaking LOS, causing the hook to fail.
01/06/2017 05:43 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
We have a fix for this coming soon onto the PTR, as well as other fixes (such as being able to throw people behind you if you spin before the hook lands).

I'm also playing around with the ability for the hook to slow down a player when it impacts them, especially if they are in the air. This should help some of the more extreme cases where a player was strafe jumping and got hooked, but just before they get pulled they traveled a good 3-4 meters before breaking LOS, causing the hook to fail.

Why gut a character's only gimmick in the first place? I honestly don't get the point.
Highly Rated

Woah

You guys are.....changing sometime on PTR?

:O

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate you paying attention to the issue!
Highly Rated

Add the slowdown effect to Mccree's flashbang while you're at it.

Thanks you for responding, Geoff.
Looking forward to testing this fix in PTR.

Hope you have a nice day.
If enough of you is showing that you can get shot by a normal weapon, then you should be able to be hooked.

It makes sense that the hook has a little bit of give when hooking people behind corners. Chains will go around an edge, they don't just snap. Have you played around with doing a trace around the wall and just distance checking how far the player is around the corner. Maybe letting Roadhog's hook people who have not gone to far past the corner is a great solution.

Also you could make it so the hook doesn't break until their entire model breaks LOS with roadhog. Right now it looks like the hook breaks when the center point(hook location) breaks LOS, which feels kind of janky.

This is all opinion, but I am worried about these changes because roadhog just isn't fun anymore. Call of Duty had huge negative feedback on shotguns because they felt cheap to die to(getting one shot can feel not fun), but they are actually pretty balanced. It is more frustrating for me personally to hook someone and know I landed the hook, but have it break because they are too close to the wall. Especially because the map designers probably didn't have that functionality in mind when designing maps, so breaking on light poles/objects in the map feels even worse.

My biggest concern is Roadhog just being enjoyable to play. Negative feedback aside, it does effect enjoyment of landing hooks and makes them feel unpredictable.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.
Also the slow thing is definitely what is needed and has been for the most part what everyone has been asking for

Can't wait to see how the new hook is
01/06/2017 05:45 PMPosted by Vekete

Why gut a character's only gimmick in the first place? I honestly don't get the point.

Because it was buggy as hell.
01/06/2017 05:56 PMPosted by Skrimiche

Because it was buggy as hell.

Because it looked buggy, doesn't mean it was. I'm sick of having to explain this to people.

Because it was extremely anti fun and buggy?