Hook 2.0 is bad (From Roadhog main)

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next

Because it looked buggy, doesn't mean it was. I'm sick of having to explain this to people.

Yes, I'm sure his Hook was meant to pull people through walls and into the fifth dimension.

"Working as intended."

Seriously if you think that's a fair and balanced mechanic then I pray you never become a game developer.
It only pulled people through walls because of a completely seperate mechanic. If you're g oing to !@#$% about something, at least learn how it ^-*!in' works.
I will love to see when everybody stop complaining about every character and we get to the part where you complain about Reinhar Slide killin' you instantly.. those crybaby post will be insane <3
01/06/2017 06:25 PMPosted by Skrimiche

Yes, I'm sure his Hook was meant to pull people through walls and into the fifth dimension.

"Working as intended."

Seriously if you think that's a fair and balanced mechanic then I pray you never become a game developer.

90% of the time you were hooked before you went behind cover, but because the stun mechanic doesn't stop momentum it looked like you were behind cover as you were pulled to Roadhog, because you moved behind cover as you were hooked.

What matters is how it feels because that is what pays the bills for a developer, though. That is why changes to the hook are going through.
01/06/2017 06:28 PMPosted by Tailand
01/06/2017 06:25 PMPosted by Skrimiche

"Working as intended."

90% of the time you were hooked before you went behind cover, but because the stun mechanic doesn't stop momentum it looked like you were behind cover as you were pulled to Roadhog, because you moved behind cover as you were hooked.

What matters is how it feels because that is what pays the bills for a developer, though. That is why changes to the hook are going through.
Yup, it didn't matter if it was actually buggy or not. People felt like it was buggy so they felt like like it needed to be fixed. If it stopped momentum or dragged them around corners, no one would've been !@#$%ing, but alas apparently that was too hard to do.
01/06/2017 06:21 PMPosted by Dracosquid
01/06/2017 05:43 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
We have a fix for this coming soon onto the PTR, as well as other fixes (such as being able to throw people behind you if you spin before the hook lands).

I'm also playing around with the ability for the hook to slow down a player when it impacts them, especially if they are in the air. This should help some of the more extreme cases where a player was strafe jumping and got hooked, but just before they get pulled they traveled a good 3-4 meters before breaking LOS, causing the hook to fail.

Please dont remove the Dumping people, Its the only good aspect about Roadhog now.

You'll still be able to move people somewhat (right now its +/- 70 degrees from the starting hook angle).
I would rather have the original hook but instead of pulling ppl in front of you from hell it should sling the person out of position. I say this because the hook has a chain with no curve to it.
01/06/2017 06:30 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
01/06/2017 06:21 PMPosted by Dracosquid

Please dont remove the Dumping people, Its the only good aspect about Roadhog now.

You'll still be able to move people somewhat (right now its +/- 70 degrees from the starting hook angle).
Please rethink the LoS issue, the main complaint of being hooked through walls is related to latency. If we could just get the hook to stop momentum than that should pretty much make getting hooked through walls disappear. As it is right now, from watching GIFs and videos, the slightest particle that blocks a hero disengages the hook. If I can see a character and land a hook, there's no reason why it should break after I've already connected with a hero.
01/06/2017 05:45 PMPosted by Vekete

Why gut a character's only gimmick in the first place? I honestly don't get the point.

Some people just don't get it lol
We have a fix for this coming soon onto the PTR, as well as other fixes (such as being able to throw people behind you if you spin before the hook lands).

I'm also playing around with the ability for the hook to slow down a player when it impacts them, especially if they are in the air. This should help some of the more extreme cases where a player was strafe jumping and got hooked, but just before they get pulled they traveled a good 3-4 meters before breaking LOS, causing the hook to fail.

Can we have the same slow on impact for McCree's Flashbang? Strafe jumping often sends Genji's and Tracer's flying off into the distance.
01/06/2017 06:33 PMPosted by Hobotripin

Please rethink the LoS issue, the main complaint of being hooked through walls is related to latency. If we could just get the hook to stop momentum than that should pretty much make getting hooked through walls disappear. As it is right now, from watching GIFs and videos, the slightest particle that blocks a hero disengages the hook. If I can see a character and land a hook, there's no reason why it should break after I've already connected with a hero.

There's no reason why someone who as tracer blinks behind cover, hears "click" and gets pulled by a hook either due to that latency. It's better this way because it gives specific heroes the ability to actually get away as they should.
01/06/2017 06:37 PMPosted by AngelofLife
... Please rethink the LoS issue, the main complaint of being hooked through walls is related to latency. If we could just get the hook to stop momentum than that should pretty much make getting hooked through walls disappear. As it is right now, from watching GIFs and videos, the slightest particle that blocks a hero disengages the hook. If I can see a character and land a hook, there's no reason why it should break after I've already connected with a hero.

There's no reason why someone who as tracer blinks behind cover, hears "click" and gets pulled by a hook either due to that latency. It's better this way because it gives specific heroes the ability to actually get away as they should.
Roadhog is basically their only counter other than Mei, why should their counter be nerfed to not counter them?
I despise Roadhog, but I can sympathize. Maybe if Roadhog can see half the character model, he can still pull them. I don't think it's fair to make a character prebuff sym.
01/06/2017 06:37 PMPosted by AngelofLife
... Please rethink the LoS issue, the main complaint of being hooked through walls is related to latency. If we could just get the hook to stop momentum than that should pretty much make getting hooked through walls disappear. As it is right now, from watching GIFs and videos, the slightest particle that blocks a hero disengages the hook. If I can see a character and land a hook, there's no reason why it should break after I've already connected with a hero.

So latency is good when its in favor of you but bad when it isn't, I understand your position but that's a horrible example especially because you didn't blink and then get hooked unless the hog anticipated your blink which he probably did.
btw, it's not just LoS breaking the hook. Hit a tracer in the wide open with one, got the hook hit sound but they used blinked at the same time, the hook broke.

Add the slowdown effect to Mccree's flashbang while you're at it.

Yesssssssss

Sorry, i had to.
I dont see any problems in the video. THe hooks works perfectly fine as intended. A person is in cover, you can't hook him he would get stuck on the wall if you would try instead of moving around it like it did before. No problems here, lets move on.
what needed fixing was the inconsistency of the hook and the way it worked behind corners

what blizzard did makes it pretty much unusable outside of large open areas that overwatch maps doesn't even have outside of ilios well

Can Lucio get a special exception/rework on the Line of Sight check, since he has really weird animations?

https://gfycat.com/LividFragrantClam

Each time Lucio passes behind the wall or tree, he ACTUALLY IS interrupting line of sight because his first-person camera is going behind the environment geometry.

The only thing that the above GIF proves is that Lucio's animations are weird, and show a disconnect from his actual first-person position.

His body "lags" behind his first-person camera.
01/06/2017 06:20 PMPosted by Lucavex
01/06/2017 05:57 PMPosted by Vekete

Because it looked buggy, doesn't mean it was. I'm sick of having to explain this to people.
Even pro Hog mains are saying the hook was broken.
And now pro Hog mains are saying he's trash now

Harbleu, arguably the best Hog player out there, says he refuses to play this new Roadhog. It's not fun.
01/06/2017 06:43 PMPosted by Dave
btw, it's not just LoS breaking the hook. Hit a tracer in the wide open with one, got the hook hit sound but they used blinked at the same time, the hook broke.
This has actually been the case since launch

Pretty sure it's a latency thing.