Who would you rather have, Reinhardt or D.Va?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
01/12/2017 12:09 PMPosted by Andy
I hear lots of arguments about whether D.Va is balanced, but when I ask on the forums about Rein, everyone says he's balanced. Logically, if Reinhardt is balanced, then every tank should be at his level.

So, if you could only have one on your team, would you prefer having a Reinhardt or a D.Va on your team?

It seems to me like Reinhardt is ubiquitous, an absolute top-tier must pick. If he's balanced, and he gets more play than any other tank, that means other tanks are underpowered. Certainly that's true for Winston.
I say it depends on the enemy team on what hero they are playing.
I know some you might hate this and since DVA is getting nerfed anyway so she can be less aggressive. Maybe we can make her the alternate to Reinhardt. Make her defense matrix almost as big as rein shield increase how long she can use it to around 10 sec and slightly reduce its cooldown. What you think good idea, too big of a playstyle change, or she just would be used in conjunction with rein and wouldn't change anything.
Since November, D.Va is the 3rd most played hero in Overwatch. Roadhog is 4.

Reinhardt is the 12th.

I know a lot of people base their opinion on the "Meta" reports coming out of the pro scene but if you're talking about the vast majority of Overwatch matches played, D.Va and Roadhog are the most picked tanks. If Reinhardt is considered a "must pick", he isn't being picked as much as people perceive.
Highly Rated
01/12/2017 06:38 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Reinhardt is the 12th.

I know a lot of people base their opinion on the "Meta" reports coming out of the pro scene but if you're talking about the vast majority of Overwatch matches played, D.Va and Roadhog are the most picked tanks. If Reinhardt is considered a "must pick", he isn't being picked as much as people perceive.
FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Reinhardt is the 12th.

Interesting.....
Highly Rated

Reinhardt is the 12th.

This just raises more questions about what you're balancing around, let's be fair. QP is a !@#$ing roulette wheel, as far as I can tell; high-SR comp has the meta... so... what's actually being balanced for? @_@

It frustrates me, as someone who's had to do too much statistics, to not have any idea of the data you're using. How can I have an accurate opinion? xD

Reinhardt is the 12th.

D.Va mains deKAPitated yet again
01/12/2017 12:11 PMPosted by RichC
01/12/2017 12:09 PMPosted by Andy

It seems to me like Reinhardt is ubiquitous, an absolute top-tier must pick. If he's balanced, and he gets more play than any other tank, that means other tanks are underpowered. Certainly that's true for Winston.

No that means Blizzard needs to expand their tank roster to include more "dedicated" tanks. Winston is not a true tank. Pick rate does not mean a hero is over powered, it means they are the most viable pick for the role that needs to be fulfilled.

To add, if you nerf Reinhardt, you will easily be indirectly nerfing other heroes, especially the supports.

If Blizzard added a second "true" tank every team would run those two and nothing else. A team running a 2000 HP shield on top of something different but equal would never lose to a team without as much shielding.
Highly Rated
If Reinhardt is considered a "must pick", he isn't being picked as much as people perceive.
You should take data from matches where the teams are actually trying. Seriously. QP is a !@#$ing cesspool of stupidity.

Reinhardt is the 12th.

Awesome Jeff. Thank you for this insight
Highly Rated

Reinhardt is the 12th.

who would have guessed that people dont like to be a shield bot.......

Reinhardt is the 12th.

Oh, I know why this is. Reinhardt has a 2000HP shield that is primarily used to block for his teammates. People know this, and pick Reinhardt. Then they realize their shield is useless with people who are not utilizing it and go to a more effective 1v1 hero in D.Va. Roadhog is already an effective 1v1 hero and thus has a high pick-rate.

Or they are tired of trying to shield for people who do not use it and skip straight to the last step.

Anecdotally, in every match that I've played 6v6, we have had a Reinhardt. We have not always had a D.Va.

Just out of curiousity, who are heroes #1 and #2 and are they receiving nerfs? I'll assume one of the two is Ana who is receiving a nerf. Is the other Mercy?
Rein himself is balanced, it's the fact that he's the only real tank that makes him popular.

Reinhardt is the 12th.

JEFF WITH THE SICK FACTS!!!
Highly Rated

Reinhardt is the 12th.

Jeff, is it possible that you make these stats publicly available? I honestly believe that the amount of understanding gained between the developers and the player base, is well worth the time investment to create the system to view these stats. For example, I've always thought that Reinhardt must've been the 2nd or 3rd most played character! This shows a fundamental disconnect between what your players see and what you guys see, and I think that everybody would react better to your development choices if we were all on the same page.

We understand that you probably have a lot on your plate already, but just be aware that (I think) a ton of players would love this feature sometime in the future!

Reinhardt is the 12th.

Reinhardt is absolutely more useful than D.Va if you have to pick between the two. It has nothing to do with the pro scene, and everything to do with the safety net he provides. The reason why he isn't picked as much is simply because he isn't as fun for as many people as D.Va (or Roadhog for that matter). Also, it requires you to coordinate more which a lot of people don't want to coordinate at all, as backwards as that sounds.
Yep, He's the only "true" tank. I think some people give way too much credit for hero specifications.

Reinhardt is the 12th.

Jeff, don't you know its bad form to bring facts to a feeling fight :p
Highly Rated

And in comp games 3500+? If you're including Quick Play that doesn't matter. Both sides frequently don't have a Rein because no one wants to play him.

Also who is 1 and 2?
Depends on the comp. If enemy comp is siege heavy, Junkrats, Symmetra, Pharah, then D.va. If there's nobody to cover (attack class is flank based, primaries are Lucio Zen) then D.va If map is more vertical than usual (ie: Oasis) then D.va.

So, like any hero in the game, it depends on the situation.