Sombra Changes

General Discussion
Sombra is a relativity unexplored character in both Ranked and Tournament play. And while there’s strong arguments to be made for why this is. I thought id just throw my two cents in.

I think Sombra is a strong hero who is very unique and rewarding to play. And although overall I would say that she’s on a power level with most other flankers, there’s a couple things about her that really hurt the playstyle she’s best at. For this I want to look at both Genji and Tracer, two powerful and effective flankers and compare them to Sombra.

I wont be going into the numbers and statistics because all three heroes are so diverse, but I do want to look at something Sombra lacks that Genji and Tracer have. Without the ability to reliably get healed when behind the enemy or far off from the choke/point, Flankers need to find ways to escape from a nasty situation. For Genji, he has his reflect, wall climb and dash. All effective ways to put distance from the enemy(s) and retreat back to the front lines for heals or to a health pack. Tracer has her recall that not only quickly changes her positioning but also heals her, and she has her blink. Sombra can hack health packs or heroes like Mccree allowing her to minimise risk, and with her Translocator she can teleport far from trouble. Strong tools, especially her Translocator. But, it comes with a heavy downside. If she’s in a fight and needs to throw her Translocator to blink away and escape, she not only has to turn away from the enemy, throw it and wait a second for it to fly far enough away but teleporting also leaves a particle trail notifying enemies which way she went. While none of this is a problem if youve placed your translocator down before you engage, often times the 15s timer on it will run out before you need to escape (iv found its much safer to hold onto the translocator as long as possible, to stop premature teles). Because of the strength of the Translocator I dont think it should be changed much at all. BUT what I do think should be changed is her Camo. Sombra’s Camo is another powerful tool, but unfortunately its often terrible when enemies have you in their line of sights because of how long it takes for Sombra to turn fully invisible or for the speed buff to kick in.

Basically what im trying to say is that Sombra could become a lot more viable if she had a very slight buff to the speed she turned invisible when she activates her Camo, allowing her to escape situations quickly like the other Flankers.

Some other ideas iv heard for Sombra are:

Hack stops enemies from being healed?
This could be too powerful with how prevalent healers are.

Hack lasts longer or is faster to finish?
Her Hack isnt a problem and, while a slight buff (under a second) could help a lot, it isnt fully needed to make her more viable.

Translocator could last longer or start countdown when it touches ground?
I do like the idea of the Translocator starting its cooldown when it touches ground, itd probably be way to powerful, basically adding seconds onto the up time which already is very good.

When Camo’d and tossing a Translocator, the Translocator is invisible for a short while.
Another idea im not opposed to, but it might just be icing on the cake and not anything meaningful.

TL:DR:

She could use a very slight buff to the speed she turned invisible when she activates her Camo, allowing her to escape situations quickly like the other Flankers.

<3
Bump
Would like some feedback on this
Sorry, nothing will make her viable until she can do the one thing all heroes in the game need to do.

Kill other players.
I'd play her more and enjoy her if
-She didnt announce her presence
-Her healthpacks can be seen through walls for both her and teammates (am i really supposed to count to 30 in my head to remember if that pack is still hacked?)
-Her gun was more accurate

It's just annoying to me that even in short bursts her spread is just all over the place and you have no reliable way to get those crit shots (which she desperately needs to get since her damage is so low) Her damage is fine being low though, since she does have other utility with her hacking and seeing enemies through walls and being able to invis and teleport. I think her damage should for sure be lower than most if not all the other offense, I just hate that the spread on the gun is so crazy that it makes it honestly a gamble if I land my critshots from any range other than near point blank. I can aim at heads, but only 1 or 2 bullets are likely to hit the head no matter how well you aim.

Basically, I'd just like it if I was rewarded for aiming well. Sombra isn't tracer, she cant just zip in and out of point blank range like tracer can. And even then tracers damage is head and shoulders above sombras as well. The least you could do is tighten the spread on sombras gun so that players who aim well can start doing work with her instead of just spraying and praying like they are now (and most those prayers go unanswered)

I see what they were going for, in that instead of giving her backstabs and such. She could instead just get up close behind someone and empty a clip into the back of their head, but it just doesnt work. She can't reliably get that close behind someone and she definitely doesnt want to be that close in front of them. She seems best used from a medium raange, but unfortunately her gun really doesnt work from that range.
She does need work, and I'm sure they will get to her in time.

The points for some fixes I found when playing her;

1. No 'HERE I AM' from de-stealth. The noise indication alone should be sufficient.
2. Lower delay to shoot/hack out of stealth
3. Lower hack time
4. Remove hack interuption

That alone should provide a bit more viability to her kit and capabilities. See how that plays on PTR, then consider other option if she is still not being picked.

As it stands she is jack of all trades, master of none. Genji or Tracer are a better pick.
If Thermoptic Camo is meant to be used as an in-combat escape, its not very effective.

its rather easy to deal any damage to Sombra as she disappears.

Her camo should not break for the first second while activating it, so she has a chance to get away.
I already suck at tracking, but the god awful spread doesn't help.

I've gotten the jump on plenty of people and tried to unload into the back of their skulls, only to not get nearly as many crit shots as I should.

It's aggravating when a Mercy kills me since her gun does more reliable damage than mine.
01/09/2017 12:33 PMPosted by DarkBubsy420
I'd play her more and enjoy her if
-She didnt announce her presence

"HERE I AM!!!!!!"
4. Remove hack interuption.

No. Awful idea. That would be so overpowered.
01/09/2017 12:37 PMPosted by Banicks
She does need work, and I'm sure they will get to her in time.

The points for some fixes I found when playing her;

1. No 'HERE I AM' from de-stealth. The noise indication alone should be sufficient.
2. Lower delay to shoot/hack out of stealth
3. Lower hack time
4. Remove hack interuption

That alone should provide a bit more viability to her kit and capabilities. See how that plays on PTR, then consider other option if she is still not being picked.

As it stands she is jack of all trades, master of none. Genji or Tracer are a better pick.

Getting rid of her announcing her presence is balance enough without also making her decloak delay faster. There needs to be enough counterplay that if you do see her decloak you can punish her for it with that second of delay she has. The unfairness comes from even if you use the ability properly sombras voice lines give her away anyways, making sneaking behind people with it about as effective as just decloaking in their face.

The hack time is already fairly low, again there is supposed to be counterplay to it so that if she does just try and hack you mid-fire fight you can try and hit her within 0.8 seconds to cancel it. The hack is mainly to be used when they don't see you or if theyre reloading or if you're just good at dodging bullets i guess.

And ofcourse that also goes along with getting rid of her hack being able to be disrupted. That would be a really stupid buff that would totally dumb down sombra. You could just walk up to people and get a guranteed silence on them without having to worry about positioning or if anyone saw you or anything like that. The whole point of being able to disrupt her hack is so that if she does just try and throw out a hack against you while you're fighting her you can hit her to make her stop, so long as you do that within a short 0.8 second window.
01/09/2017 12:15 PMPosted by Novaterra
Sorry, nothing will make her viable until she can do the one thing all heroes in the game need to do.

Kill other players.

I got 49 elims with her this morning. Sombra is a fantastic character. You guys need to learn how to play her.
I main with Sombra and don't run into any of the problems people complain about. Learn how to play the character instead of relying on using Roadhog and his hook, or D.Va and her mech. Sombra owns both of them. Utilize her properly and she's extremely dangerous. EMPs can easily turn the tide of battle.
getting hit and uncloaking is a pain in a game with so much splash dmg and stray bullets the invis should only flicker on dmg but uncloak fully if lets say you take burst amounts like getting hit by a helix rocket.

also can we not have a HELLOOOO after you come out of invis the uncloak make a sound already
I main with Sombraand don't run into any of the problems people complain about. Learn how to play the character instead of relying on using Roadhog and his hook, or D.Va and her mech. Sombra owns both of them. Utilize her properly and she's extremely dangerous. EMPs can easily turn the tide of battle.

lol has 30 minutes in competitive
If you're constantly using invisibility as an escape you're already playing her wrong.
01/09/2017 05:53 PMPosted by MeriliuM
I main with Sombraand don't run into any of the problems people complain about. Learn how to play the character instead of relying on using Roadhog and his hook, or D.Va and her mech. Sombra owns both of them. Utilize her properly and she's extremely dangerous. EMPs can easily turn the tide of battle.

I've had the game two weeks buddy.
01/09/2017 05:53 PMPosted by MeriliuM

Then how can you claim to have any degree of knowledge about what works/doesnt work? And tell us we need to get better? With 30 minutes where it really matters?
There is something wrong with the character, more than once half a second after i hack someone they can still use their ultimate

Then how can you claim to have any degree of knowledge about what works/doesnt work? And tell us we need to get better? With 30 minutes where it really matters?

I don't play competitive because I'm tired of being stuck with !@#$ teams, I can't carry a team myself. I pull my weight, I know what I'm doing, the game isn't THAT hard. Come to Xbox, party with me and help me rule the Galaxy.