Two-Way Payload

General Discussion
Imagine the following: a symmetrical map, with a payload halfway along a track connecting the two spawns; it moves only when only one team is near it, and the objective is to get it to the *enemy* spawn - this reproduces the mechanic already present in existing modes of making things more dificult toward the end because their spawn is closer and yours is further away. Victory would still be achieved without reaching the end of the track, simply by being anywhere beyond the middle without contestation when the timer ended, so draws would be practically impossible because the payload would be extremely unlikely to still be at the exact mid point once the clock reached zero (this would only happen if nobody came in range of it throughout the entire match, which, as seen from the lack of draws in regular payload maps, is not something that happens in the serious game modes). In competitive, instead of just receiving the usually calculated reward or punishment with regards to SR, this should be calculated based on how far the payload got percentage-wise; as such, there should be a way to for instance "prime" the payload in some way when the timer runs out so you can keep pushing it instead of winning right away - this would serve to enlarge the reward, but would end, along with the match, as soon as an enemy came within range of the payload, so it wouldn't be too bad for the losers (a lone hero with good movement would be enough to force-end the match and thus prevent excessive cheesiness on the part of the enemy team - this would simply be a way of getting a little bit more of a reward : ) ).
As I typed this last bit, it occurred to me that, for balance, the first third of the track going each way (or the middle third of the track, however you think about it) should work slightly differently: priming would not be possible here, but instead you would get regular overtime and would have to push the payload to the end of this third to get acceptable rewards (if no-one was on the payload in overtime in this third, the overtime would run out and whoever got it their way would be credited a victory in name, but the SR gain would be practically insignificant, as would be the SR loss of the other team). Any frustration resulting from getting very even matches in competitive on this map type would be counterbalanced by the short duration of this mode (no need for mirror-matching in these maps). Perhaps the track could be S-shaped to avoid getting bogged down in the middle third too much.
I just read through the whole post and figured that "priming" might be a bit abstruse for some players and thus not a mechanic that the devs would want, but I have a solution: just have overtime work slightly differently in these maps - it would work in a recognisable way in the middle third, in that it would last as long as anyone was in range of the payload (the only difference here being that this would be true for both teams at the same time; this said, and considering I have removed "priming" from the equation, if the payload was in the middle third when the clock ran out, whoever got it to one of the checkpoints separating the thirds should immediately receive a small-ish victory (though not as small-ish as if overtime ended with the payload not reaching a checkpoint at all); as such, if the payload is in the middle third when the timer runs out, or is pushed back into it in overtime, it can no longer leave it), but its function would be reversed (relative to normal maps) in the outer thirds: when the clock ended, the team pushing the payload would have overtime, and the arrival of an enemy would end the match (the motivation for the enemies to hurry doing this would be that the penalty for losing would be smaller the further from their spawn the payload was when the match ended); if both teams were present on the payload when the clock ran out in an outer third, the match would end straight away and the rewards would be calculated relative to the position of the payload, as outlined above. If only defenders were present, perhaps they could be able to push it back into the middle third on overtime and still have a chance of winning, or at least of not losing so badly (if they were reached by an attacker before reaching the middle third, the match would end as outlined in this paragraph with regards to both teams being present on the payload on an outer third at the end of the timer)?
The checkpoints separating the inner third from the outer ones would of course be the gate-type-thingamajiggies that the devs like so much, and, together with Athena voiceovers and/or hero voicelines, would make the mechanics of this map-type really easy for players to understand, especially since I removed the concept of priming (I'm sorry to anyone who read the first bit of this post and got attached to the idea of priming a payload; I came up with it as I was writing, and, thinking about it further, it's exactly the kind of unnecessary complication that the devs do not like).
Thoughts? :)
I like payload maps and I approve of this mode.
12/21/2016 09:37 AMPosted by Erras
I like payload maps and I approve of this mode.
I remember the two-way payload maps from TF2. Those games were pretty epic. I imagine the same if they came to Overwatch.
There's a clone-ish version of Overwatch called Paladins that does this. It's not great. Maybe it would work better in Overwatch though. Who knows.
A tug-of-war or reverse tug-of war would be pretty neat where both teams are attack and defend. With either team retrieving (valuable item) or pushing (bomb) the payload from the middle of the map and whoever moved it more in their direction or over the goal line would win. Don't know about the timing of it all but Overtime would be the same.
There's a mode like this in Splatoon called Tower Control and it's the best. I really wish Blizzard would do something like this for Overwatch and just put a track on the KotH maps.
I would advise you to use paragraphs.
Would be interesting to try. My main concern is that in Overwatch, it's fairly easy for a team to snowball, and attacking teams usually have advantage. So I feel like this game mode would have a disproportionate amount of stomps compared to other modes.
Another possible alternative is a game mode that goes on for far longer then it has any right too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard already tested this idea internally. Wonder what the results were.
So KotH but slightly better because the losing team gets more of an advantage as the payload gets closer to them.

They would definitely need to put a time limit on it.
What is this, payload race?

Jk I like it
GETS CRUSHED BY WALL OF TEXT
12/21/2016 09:36 AMPosted by AlmaLexia
Imagine the following: a symmetrical map, with a payload halfway along a track connecting the two spawns; it moves only when only one team is near it, and the objective is to get it to the *enemy* spawn - this reproduces the mechanic already present in existing modes of making things more dificult toward the end because their spawn is closer and yours is further away. Victory would still be achieved without reaching the end of the track, simply by being anywhere beyond the middle without contestation when the timer ended, so draws would be practically impossible because the payload would be extremely unlikely to still be at the exact mid point once the clock reached zero (this would only happen if nobody came in range of it throughout the entire match, which, as seen from the lack of draws in regular payload maps, is not something that happens in the serious game modes). In competitive, instead of just receiving the usually calculated reward or punishment with regards to SR, this should be calculated based on how far the payload got percentage-wise; as such, there should be a way to for instance "prime" the payload in some way when the timer runs out so you can keep pushing it instead of winning right away - this would serve to enlarge the reward, but would end, along with the match, as soon as an enemy came within range of the payload, so it wouldn't be too bad for the losers (a lone hero with good movement would be enough to force-end the match and thus prevent excessive cheesiness on the part of the enemy team - this would simply be a way of getting a little bit more of a reward : ) ).
As I typed this last bit, it occurred to me that, for balance, the first third of the track going each way (or the middle third of the track, however you think about it) should work slightly differently: priming would not be possible here, but instead you would get regular overtime and would have to push the payload to the end of this third to get acceptable rewards (if no-one was on the payload in overtime in this third, the overtime would run out and whoever got it their way would be credited a victory in name, but the SR gain would be practically insignificant, as would be the SR loss of the other team). Any frustration resulting from getting very even matches in competitive on this map type would be counterbalanced by the short duration of this mode (no need for mirror-matching in these maps). Perhaps the track could be S-shaped to avoid getting bogged down in the middle third too much.
I just read through the whole post and figured that "priming" might be a bit abstruse for some players and thus not a mechanic that the devs would want, but I have a solution: just have overtime work slightly differently in these maps - it would work in a recognisable way in the middle third, in that it would last as long as anyone was in range of the payload (the only difference here being that this would be true for both teams at the same time; this said, and considering I have removed "priming" from the equation, if the payload was in the middle third when the clock ran out, whoever got it to one of the checkpoints separating the thirds should immediately receive a small-ish victory (though not as small-ish as if overtime ended with the payload not reaching a checkpoint at all); as such, if the payload is in the middle third when the timer runs out, or is pushed back into it in overtime, it can no longer leave it), but its function would be reversed (relative to normal maps) in the outer thirds: when the clock ended, the team pushing the payload would have overtime, and the arrival of an enemy would end the match (the motivation for the enemies to hurry doing this would be that the penalty for losing would be smaller the further from their spawn the payload was when the match ended); if both teams were present on the payload when the clock ran out in an outer third, the match would end straight away and the rewards would be calculated relative to the position of the payload, as outlined above. If only defenders were present, perhaps they could be able to push it back into the middle third on overtime and still have a chance of winning, or at least of not losing so badly (if they were reached by an attacker before reaching the middle third, the match would end as outlined in this paragraph with regards to both teams being present on the payload on an outer third at the end of the timer)?
The checkpoints separating the inner third from the outer ones would of course be the gate-type-thingamajiggies that the devs like so much, and, together with Athena voiceovers and/or hero voicelines, would make the mechanics of this map-type really easy for players to understand, especially since I removed the concept of priming (I'm sorry to anyone who read the first bit of this post and got attached to the idea of priming a payload; I came up with it as I was writing, and, thinking about it further, it's exactly the kind of unnecessary complication that the devs do not like).
Thoughts? :)

I like it.