Proposal on how to avoid toxic players on comp

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
Dec 8 -137
What do you all think of implementing a vote system that allows teammates to vote against toxic to have them kicked? This system is used in dungeons on WoW and I think would be an effective way to eliminate toxic players. The only foreseeable problem would be kicking a player and being one player short. This could be fixed by adding a separate 'Looking for new member' timer that is longer than when a player leaves of their own accord. Thoughts?
Highly Rated
It's also abused on wow and leads to a lot of griefing, would be worse in Overwatch

People already abuse the reporting system, which is tame in comparison to this.

No thank you
Highly Rated
So that I can get kicked for playing Sombra ? No thanks.
Highly Rated
so basically you can kick anyone that isn't meta?
Dec 8 -175
12/08/2016 07:39 AMPosted by Understeer

Well the point of comp is to win, if you're playing non-meta or to 'have fun' then go to quick play.
Highly Rated
12/08/2016 07:45 AMPosted by Pewphorn

Well the point of comp is to win, if you're playing non-meta or to 'have fun' then go to quick play.

You don't get to dictate how people play the game. Sorry.

People are already getting silenced because they get reported for playing a character their team doesn't like, even when they play that character well and it helps the team.

This would lead to far worse.
12/08/2016 07:37 AMPosted by Koringul
It's also abused on wow and leads to a lot of griefing, would be worse in Overwatch

No thank you

That's not true, I have played WoW for 12 years and have always appreciated the kicking system. When you get a healer that doesn't heal, or a dps that pulls, then you vote to kick, simple. It's not like 1 person gets to decide if that player gets kicked. In OW if you are playing a meta team in comp but you have the one guy playing widow, torb, bastion etc on attack, then a unanimous vote could replace them with a player that will fit the team comp.
Highly Rated
Nope. That system is ripe for abuse.
Highly Rated
12/08/2016 07:49 AMPosted by Pewphorn
12/08/2016 07:37 AMPosted by Koringul

No thank you

That's not true, I have played WoW for 12 years and have always appreciated the kicking system. When you get a healer that doesn't heal, or a dps that pulls, then you vote to kick, simple. It's not like 1 person gets to decide if that player gets kicked. In OW if you are playing a meta team in comp but you have the one guy playing widow, torb, bastion etc on attack, then a unanimous vote could replace them with a player that will fit the team comp.
'

Yes, but you are not understanding what im saying

The INTENT of the system is to remove players who are actively griefing the game/not healing/not dpsing etc

The REALITY of the system is that people can and have abused it. People will vote kick players simply for their hero choice (regardless of their skill with that hero)

People will get kicked for trivial disagreements

People will get kicked for not living up to a teams standards even if those standards are over inflated

People will get kicked for having an off game even if they are an otherwise solid player

People will get kicked for not switching exactly when their teammates want them to, not being allowed to use their own judgement or, god forbid, LEARN

Anyone playing in a way that people don't like will get kicked, even if that is not actually hampering the game whatsoever.

So while your intent is genuine, the internet is not as altruistic as you would like to think.

If people are already getting banned/silenced due to abuse of the reporting system over things like hero choice, what do you think happens if that reporting system had active teeth?

God knows i've had an off game from time to time. I'm sure you have as well. How would you feel getting booted from a game before you could get into a groove and lose out on a competitive match and SR gain?

I'm sorry. It can suck sometimes, but you do not get to dictate who people choose to play as or how they play the game.

I don't play to the Meta, yet I'm 7W 1L (Assault map, no less: which we won the map I played Widow on, lost the rest where I switched out and we were more 'meta'. I should have just stayed confident and played her.) and 1D in Comp atm and NONE of our comps were ever 'the Meta', even less so with me as a Widowmain! I'd end up kicked at the start of every match with the sheer toxic nature surrounding Widow, despite at least 100% certain about rocking anywhere at or below gold, as I get more time to play I'd say with the same certainty, I suspect, still be valid all the way at least upto Master rank if not beyond: but until I have the spare time to 'test' it I can't just say it despite fully believing it.

Certainly, however, non-meta in general can work to any rank. "The Meta" is just what's trending, truth is : countering what's meta works better than using it, and countering what counters that: and counters that.. and counters that.

Toxic, rage-prone kick happy ash'hats would be happy to ruin people's day just 'cuz' : nevermind if someone tried something 'they' disagreed with even if it works.
No thanks.
No rofl it's fine the way it is, like I don't know just ignore the toxic people what can you do really people act like !@#$%^-s in real life all the time too and sometimes you have to work with them like lol are u gonna cry to your boss asking for a vote kick system?

wahh my co-worker is toxic as fuk pls kick
It's good to hear discussion around this topic and we're just as concerned about it as you guys are.

Our first step is reviewing our current reporting system. This is well underway and we have some changes to the design that we think will help. Once we can update the reporting design, we are also going to internally review all of our policies, including punishments.

I wish this was moving faster but at least it is making active progress.
Been seeing you pop into a lot of these report/punishment threads jeff, appreciate the attention
12/08/2016 08:10 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
It's good to hear discussion around this topic and we're just as concerned about it as you guys are.

Our first step is reviewing our current reporting system. This is well underway and we have some changes to the design that we think will help. Once we can update the reporting design, we are also going to internally review all of our policies, including punishments.

I wish this was moving faster but at least it is making active progress.
thanks for feedback jeff, good to hear you guys are working on this issue! there are some really mean people out there
Any plans on taking report functionality away from players that abuse it regular basis ? i'm sure you heard about tobjorn that climbed to master had 12 bans and all overturned by now.
12/08/2016 08:12 AMPosted by Arokhantos
Any plans on taking report functionality away from players that abuse it regular basis ? i'm sure you heard about tobjorn that climbed to master had 12 bans and all overturned by now.

It's cases like this that we're taking into consideration.
12/08/2016 08:10 AMPosted by Hiyoshi
No rofl it's fine the way it is, like I don't know just ignore the toxic people what can you do really people act like !@#$%^-s in real life all the time too and sometimes you have to work with them like lol are u gonna cry to your boss asking for a vote kick system?

wahh my co-worker is toxic as fuk pls kick

Ignore the toxic player that's causing the team to be 5v6? The player that causes the team to lose? Seriously? that's absurd.
This system exists on Cs:Go. You basically get kicked because the 4 guys with you are premade.. and actual trolls are never alone anymore, meaning you can't kick them.

No to this sentiment and no to the idea of a vote-kick in comp. It would be rampantly abused by this player base.