DPS, who are your priority targets?

General Discussion
I'm here to bust some balls.

Maybe tank meta is here now because DPS aren't rewarded for shooting the first person they see anymore now that healers can easily fix poorly thought out DPS pushes. You have to be a cohesive team and have cohesive damage.

"Will someone please kill the X" is a phrase you read when DPS can't do their one job. One person on the other team is able to take out your key targets: your healers. And there's not the first DPS there to help.
I cannot at all understand why a 200 HP mercy should be able to live as long as she does if our flanker could just flank the right target.

No, no. Shoot at the 150 HP tracer running circles around you. Your DPS is skyrocketing right now. Hey look you got her to 50 hp whups she recalled it.
Could have used you in that team fight there, buddy.
when I play soldier I focus tanks, rein's shield, and pharah if the other team is running her.

If the other team is running pharah, I ask Zen to put discord on her cause my aim sucks.

shield melts, tanks melt, ez aimbot ----> ez gg
Priority targets should be supports > low hp targets > dps > tanks > rein shield
Healers are priority No. 1.
12/21/2016 09:30 AMPosted by Widowbaeker
Healers are priority No. 1.

Thanks for your input.
While I didn't specifically ask for it, could you follow up like the others? What targets would you be looking for after you've taken out the healer.
Playing mostly healer and tank, I'm inclined to agree with you.
The healer is my heartbeat, even of I'm playing the second healer. When I die as a healer or our healer goes down, the rest of the team follows.
Healers, then any of Pharah, Roadhog, turret, Bastion
Basically anything that can stop a good push

Pharah needs to be dealt with early or she will keep spamming your entire time with rockets
Roadhog will continue to pick off your team if left unchecked (and also heal himself if you leave him alone)
Turrets (if they go Molten) and Bastion can ruin or stop a push entirely
12/21/2016 09:37 AMPosted by Gilthas
Healers, then any of Pharah,

Outside of "Can one of our useless DPS PLEASE pick off the mercy that heals the dreathhog when you can't finish killing him." I'm begging my team to please shoot the Pharah. We have soldier or mcree every game, one of them needs to take her out because she's making child's play out of your Healers.
When I play Pharah... My targets go in this order.

Widow Maker, and Ana : Yes... I hunt these !@#$ers down with a character they counter. She's the only one who can reliably flank while remaining completely out of their sight. They also punish squishies and can keep your team pinned down.

Mercy: Leaving this heffer alive will only spell bad times when you're trying to push.

Bastion: leaving him alive for more than a second is a bad idea. Forget about him, and you're good as dead.

Soldier: Main reason for targeting him above McCree, is that he's the only counter that doesn't take much skill to chase you off.

McCree: His position is iffy. If it's a McCree that can reliably land his shots I'm coming after him with the wrath of god. 9/10 I usually win.

Roadhog: No need to explain this one. Hook will rip me out of the sky.

Reinhardt: Shield is bad. Team does not understandhow to get around it most of the time.
D.VA: A bit of an annoyance most cases. A D.VA main that knows her well is more dangerous than soldier and McCree.

everyone else with no order.

With D.VA

Widow Maker, and Ana: They aren't a threat to me normally. But they are a threat to everyone else. especially if they can actually hit their marks.

Bastion: Leaving him alive spells trouble for everyone.

Reinhardt: Easily flank and pepper his !@#. Most cases, the reinhardt will be stupid and turn to shield himself opening up his team for damage.

Roadhog: Another large target that needs to be punished for existing.

Soldier: Again, DPS with minimal skill needed to be effective. He needs to be removed.

everyone else no order.
As Soldier I make sure I'm just unloading on whoever is in my team's way. If there's a Rein shield up I just spray the !@#$ out of it. Roadhog is easy headshots with Soldier. Most healers are usually easy targets if they're visible.

I think Soldier is pretty much capable of destroying any character in his team's way if the team is playing their roles and you are playing your Soldier safely.

EDIT: Whoops, obviously Pharah is always a primary target.
Pharah and Mercy. In Platinum, my tier, Pharah wrecks teams because most people can't aim, or never look up.

Mercy to stop rez, obviously.

I'll occasionally focus Road Hog for easy ult, but only if there aren't any high priority targets on the enemy team.
12/21/2016 09:42 AMPosted by TheLeoCat
When I play Pharah... My targets go in this order.

Widow Maker, and Ana : Yes... I hunt these !@#$ers down with a character they counter. She's the only one who can reliably flank while remaining completely out of their sight. They also punish squishies and can keep your team pinned down.

Mercy: Leaving this heffer alive will only spell bad times when you're trying to push.

Bastion: leaving him alive for more than a second is a bad idea. Forget about him, and you're good as dead.

Soldier: Main reason for targeting him above McCree, is that he's the only counter that doesn't take much skill to chase you off.

McCree: His position is iffy. If it's a McCree that can reliably land his shots I'm coming after him with the wrath of god. 9/10 I usually win.

Roadhog: No need to explain this one. Hook will rip me out of the sky.

Reinhardt: Shield is bad. Team does not understandhow to get around it most of the time.
D.VA: A bit of an annoyance most cases. A D.VA main that knows her well is more dangerous than soldier and McCree.

everyone else with no order.

With D.VA

Widow Maker, and Ana: They aren't a threat to me normally. But they are a threat to everyone else. especially if they can actually hit their marks.

Bastion: Leaving him alive spells trouble for everyone.

Reinhardt: Easily flank and pepper his !@#. Most cases, the reinhardt will be stupid and turn to shield himself opening up his team for damage.

Roadhog: Another large target that needs to be punished for existing.

Soldier: Again, DPS with minimal skill needed to be effective. He needs to be removed.

everyone else no order.

Thanks for the insight! Quite a good set of information.
It's killing the highest-impact hero with the least risk.

Avoiding or killing heroes channeling ultimates comes first. Think Pharah, McCree, or Soldier.
Heroes on the verge of death usually come next, especially if you deal burst damage.
Healers usually come next, especially if you deal sustained damage.
Anybody with a discord orb on them is generally worth killing then.
If you can aim, killing DPS first is better. If you can't, killing tanks and turrets comes first.

This can change a lot depending on positioning and relative skill (if Reaper is carrying you counter and kill him).
The 3/4 tank meta is around because there isn't much of a reason to run DPS all the time. Ana's nade being the strongest ability that isn't an ultimate isn't helping this either.
I enjoy having a soldier on my team that'll just unload into reins shield. Outside of roadhog he's about the best one for it. Thanks for the help!

12/21/2016 09:48 AMPosted by Z3N05P4C3
As Soldier I make sure I'm just unloading on whoever is in my team's way. If there's a Rein shield up I just spray the !@#$ out of it. Roadhog is easy headshots with Soldier. Most healers are usually easy targets if they're visible.

I think Soldier is pretty much capable of destroying any character in his team's way if the team is playing their roles and you are playing your Soldier safely.
To be honest I notice a bigger difference when tanks die versus healers. When a tank dies you literally watch the other team scatter running for their lives. When a healer dies at least you have some time to survive because everyone will focus on the tank before everyone else.
12/21/2016 09:51 AMPosted by DSC00035
It's killing the highest-impact hero with the least risk.

Avoiding or killing heroes channeling ultimates comes first. Think Pharah, McCree, or Soldier.
Heroes on the verge of death usually come next, especially if you deal burst damage.
Healers usually come next, especially if you deal sustained damage.
Anybody with a discord orb on them is generally worth killing then.
If you can aim, killing DPS first is better. If you can't, killing tanks and turrets comes first.

This can change a lot depending on positioning and relative skill (if Reaper is carrying you counter and kill him).

I'm a pretty bad aim, which is why I've stuck to tanks and supports. Or soldier because he's easy. The thought of targeting mobile DPS first doesn't even register on my radar. Unless I'm roadhog because I love the guy but that hitbox is ridiculous. I've grabbed and been grabbed in so many bs instances.
12/21/2016 09:54 AMPosted by Apaolo
To be honest I notice a bigger difference when tanks die versus healers. When a tank dies you literally watch the other team scatter running for their lives. When a healer dies at least you have some time to survive because everyone will focus on the tank before everyone else.

I can see where you're coming from. Even if I just hear "BARRIER DESTROYED" I tend to go for it and get kills. This is just their shield down, Reinhardt is still alive.
12/21/2016 09:52 AMPosted by BranchedOut
I enjoy having a soldier on my team that'll just unload into reins shield. Outside of roadhog he's about the best one for it. Thanks for the help!

12/21/2016 09:48 AMPosted by Z3N05P4C3

This isn't necessarily wrong, but it kind of is too. Roadhog isn't the second best shield shredder. I'd give that to DVa. Road's purpose is rarely worrying about the shield to begin with. While this is also the case with DVa, she's more open to helping with the shield.

While 76 is unnecessarily great right now, he's somewhat being phased out by Zarya, which makes sense. Her bubble nerf screwed her a little, but she's incredibly strong in a way different than 76, while having arguably more survivability.
I definitely did say the roadhog bit without looking at the first numbers, so my bad on that! I just feel like I make a pretty hefty difference when it's really the only thing I can do when their team is doing their part and turtling behind reins shield.

I can belive Zarya but a lot because she's my favorite. But I can get higher DPS on her than any other character. Her and Mercy are my "this team needs carrying" hero. Doesn't always work, but those two have better chances than whoever I was playing.