Blizzard, how do you expect me to play the PTR?

General Discussion
I saw a post the other day by Jeff Kaplan, it said that only 0.26% of players actually used the PTR, and i'm not in that 0.26%, why?

1- If you want me to play the PTR and get my opinion on the new changes, I need to have a good experience playing, having ping that ranges from 200-500 will make the experience bad, unplayable and not useful to get my opinion out of.

2- If you want me to play the PTR and get might opinion on the new changes, I need to be able join a game and not stay in skirmish forever, today I tried to get into a match, and found myself in skirmish for 30 minutes, and nothing happened, I'm not the only one either, when I talk to people in the chat they say the same, can't join a match.

And for people that don't have to go through these problems, try to encourage them with rewards for testing the PTR, try giving them a loot box, I don't know, just do something.

EDIT: http://prntscr.com/dtgmto proof that I was on skirmish for 30 minutes.
EDIT 2: http://prntscr.com/dth1vy 1 hour;
EDIT 3: Jeff, I know that the PTR experience my not always be smooth, but it has always been like this, ever since the Symmetra changes went to the PTR, I can't play on it anymore, for example I played when the arcade went to the PTR, everything was fine.
Free loot box for 2 wins on PTR?

I'd do it.
I was upset by this too.
As a D.va main I saw the specs and panicked then decided to play it out.
Installed PTR and hey - Unexpected server error. Still cant log in.

Hard to blame the community when the product is inaccessible.
My luck hasn't been nearly as bad as yours, but hey, maybe I'm the 0.26%.
I was having a terrible time on the PTR.

Lagging, wierd glitches, super high ping like you said, etc. I managed to get through one game, and that was it.
It just wasn't working worth a flip.

My freind went to play with me and couldn't even get on the PTR, though I don't know what exactly was preventing him from getting on.

One of our other freinds was playing while we were offline and said he got two games in, but both had an issue where like half the people in the game never had their character models load in. He also said he was having a ton of other odd visual glitches.

As much as I'd like to jack around on the PTR, it is far too unstable for my friends and I. I hope to see them look into this.
Am I the only !@#$ing one who gets games immediately on PTR and what sucks the most is I want to play PTR for the hour long skirmishes yet I keep getting put into games immediately.
Added a print as proof that I'm on skirmish for 30 minutes.
I've never had issues with the PTR.

I guess the point Jeff was trying to make is that these forums normally make up a very vocal minority of players.
I saw a post the other day by Jeff Kaplan, it said that only 0.26% of players actually used the PTR, and i'm not in that 0.26%, why?

1- If you want me to play the PTR and get my opinion on the new changes, I need to have a good experience playing, having ping that ranges from 200-500 will make the experience bad, unplayable and not useful to get my opinion out of.

2- If you want me to play the PTR and get my opinion on the new changes, I need to be able join a game and not stay in skirmish forever, today I tried to get into a match, and found myself in skirmish for 30 minutes, and nothing happened, I'm not the only one either, when I talk to people in the chat they say the same, can't join a match.

And for people that don't have to go through these problems, try to encourage them with rewards for testing the PTR, try giving them a loot box, I don't know, just do something.

Just to clarify, my post the other day wasn't trying to force all players to play on the PTR. But rather I was trying to help people formulate better feedback. It's important to contextualize your feedback and also clarify if you had played with the changes for an extended period or not. We were getting a lot of feedback based on gut reaction from reading patch notes or from a single match. This feedback is still really good and useful. But it was also a little misleading and people started to ask questions like "Is the sky falling" when in reality, most of the feedback was emotional. Again all of that feedback is still good an important -- it's just not helpful to us or to the community if it's misrepresented as informed.

Regarding the PTR experience, it won't always be a smooth platform. Obviously, the things on PTR aren't ready to go live yet and that's the whole point of the PTR. So if it's not working out for you, don't feel obligated to keep trying. We have some ideas to make the PTR feel more rewarding but these are significant development tasks that would directly take away from development time on the core game.

Hope this clarifies my statements from Friday.
I felt like I was in Skirmish for 5-10 minutes everytime myself, and some games were pretty laggy. But I still managed to get around 10-15 games in I think, or at least it felt like it. I opened maybe 3-4 lootboxes.

I'll just say that playing as D.va felt horrible.

Fighting against D.va was great, felt like a free kill with whoever I was playing just about. lol
Give us a reason to play PTR (exp with boxes) and you will get more people on it.
Right now, I have zero reason to play as its wasted time I could otherwise use on earning boxes and increasing my level.
01/09/2017 09:32 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

2- If you want me to play the PTR and get my opinion on the new changes, I need to be able join a game and not stay in skirmish forever, today I tried to get into a match, and found myself in skirmish for 30 minutes, and nothing happened, I'm not the only one either, when I talk to people in the chat they say the same, can't join a match.

Just to clarify, my post the other day wasn't trying to force all players to play on the PTR. But rather I was trying to help people formulate better feedback. It's important to contextualize your feedback and also clarify if you had played with the changes for an extended period or not. We were getting a lot of feedback based on gut reaction from reading patch notes or from a single match. This feedback is still really good and useful. But it was also a little misleading and people started to ask questions like "Is the sky falling" when in reality, most of the feedback was emotional. Again all of that feedback is still good an important -- it's just not helpful to us or to the community if it's misrepresented as informed.

Regarding the PTR experience, it won't always be a smooth platform. Obviously, the things on PTR aren't ready to go live yet and that's the whole point of the PTR. So if it's not working out for you, don't feel obligated to keep trying. We have some ideas to make the PTR feel more rewarding but these are significant development tasks that would directly take away from development time on the core game.

Use this post to surrogate like or dislike the original blue post.
01/09/2017 09:32 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Hello Jeff, as a D.va main with 0 hours on PTR I feel like Thorbjorn should be able to mount his turrent on D.va´s head.
The irony here is that the issues you are having can directly be traced to the problem Jeff is facing.

I.E., because the PTR has hardly anyone in it, you will get very long queue times waiting for people, and very bad ping as it tries to pair up people who have varying qualities of internet from differing locations.

Edit: Adding an incentive to play PTR sounds like a fantastic solution to both problems.
A lot of people, myself included, haven't been able to log in to the PTR since at least when Sombra was put on the PTR. We just get "Unexpected server error occurred" messages. Blizzard apparently knows this issue exists, and are "performing account fixes regularly when possible," whatever that means ("regularly" and "when possible" are two very different measurements).

Apparently others are crashing. Other people just get disconnected.

And then there's the actual part where it's mostly a massive waste of time. This isn't completely Blizzard's fault. It's just common sense.

1) Blizzard unfortunately has a reputation for not changing anything from PTR to Live. This gives people the idea that "Eh, why bother? It doesn't matter." And sure, your argument can be "Well, they have to bring it to live, because no one tests it on the PTR." It's a fun little cycle, full of disappointment and face-palming.

2) Queue times are crazy. It's not really surprising. There are far fewer people in the PTR, and leaver rate is probably much higher than in Live.

3) If someone is in the PTR to test Roadhog, and someone else chooses Roadhog, then there is no reason whatsoever to remain in the game. I mean sure, they could play for fun.. but hey, they could do that in the Live game, where the queue times are shorter and the player's progress (XP, lootboxes, etc) mean something. And yeah, No Limits exists. Except many people hate hero stacking, plus hero stacking makes it very difficult to test how something works in real gameplay.
So basically: "Oh, that guy chose Roadhog. Welp, time to leave and re-enter the queue!" Multiple people do this, and, what do ya know, everyone that had found a game is now back to waiting to find a game.

I'm willing to give Blizzard benefit of the doubt and assume that they will absolutely overhaul the system and make it much better... some day.

That said, I'm also probably uninstalling PTR today, because it's a waste of hard drive space for me.
Hopefully Jeff will see this:

If you want tons and tons more people to play PTR, change the way you have to access it. Having to install the entire game again (20ish gigs) is a completely insane requirement, particularly considering there's probably like 100 megs of changes at the absolute most. It should just be able to swap in the changed data files.
Didnt Geoff said that they are working on something that we will get portion of EXP from PTR to Live server?

because i think this could be good and i believe more people would play PTR with system like this
01/09/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Nitromethane
Hello Jeff, as a D.va main with 0 hours on PTR I feel like Thorbjorn should be able to mount his turrent on D.va´s head.

I know something else I want to mount on D.va's head

Two big bunny ears for her Easter skin WHICH SHE BETTER !@#$ING GET.
Can we get a PTR for us Console folks... Ijs gameplay is different across platforms and a PC nerf doesn't have the same effect on consoles
01/09/2017 09:55 AMPosted by Sveron
Didnt Geoff said that they are working on something that we will get portion of EXP from PTR to Live server?

because i think this could be good and i believe more people would play PTR with system like this

A portion?
No, exp is low enough. It needs to be full exp.