Zenyatta player/main, AMA :D

General Discussion
01/11/2017 06:54 AMPosted by Melson
01/11/2017 06:40 AMPosted by DexterousGek
What do you think about D.Va mains saying she melts with 600 HP when Zen used to have 150 HP?
I think it can't be compared. It's not Zen's job to attract enemy fire. D.Va is this huge mecha that is easily hit and that can engage enemies from all kinds of angles. IMO, Zen's main focus shouldn't be killing. I understand the D.Va players, but very often it's just a change that they have to find a new way in so they can adapt.

My strategy with Zen relies HEAVILY on discord orbs, back when he had 150hp his discords did 50% extra damage instead of the current 30% so I'd actually be quite happy is old Zen would return.

I'd take the old Zen back too. I actually liked his more glass-cannon type positioning of the old days because Discord was just SO punishing. It was almost a total death sentence and literally forced people to hide till it bled off. Now there is a bit less fear associated with it. Yeah, 1 v 1 battles are a tad easier now, but I'd still take the old Zen back.
01/11/2017 03:55 AMPosted by ELSTUPIDO
bbbbboring

You might want to leave and fix that speech impediment. Stuttering is a problem only you can fix little Jimmy.
01/11/2017 06:58 AMPosted by MetalWing
If you are Zen and the team needs a second healer - which hero would you recommend?
Hm. It really depends.

Lucio - Everyone receives a passive health bonus, harmony orb stacks with it and becomes more effective.
Mercy - Super fast health regen together with a harmony orb. Mercy's damage boost on a discorded hero is also devestating.
Ana - When Ana ults, all your discorded targets will most likely be defeated very quickly. A good Ana that focusses on the tanks more so you can focus more on the DPS + Discords.

So yea, depends on your playstyle. Since my strat relies heavily on discord orbs, I'd say Ana. But really, any 2nd healer is much appreciated.
01/11/2017 07:02 AMPosted by Ktenologist
01/11/2017 03:55 AMPosted by ELSTUPIDO
bbbbboring

You might want to leave and fix that speech impediment. Stuttering is a problem only you can fix little Jimmy.
Well his name IS El Stupido so yea. Kinda dropped the bomb there from the start.
Good to see another zen player. However as others have mentioned your damage output seems quite low. Good surviveability though.
Thanks for the tips. Really starting to understand how important not dying as zen is. 20 seconds of no discord/harmony is just massive considering how many fights he can swing and how quickly he gains ult charge
01/11/2017 07:22 AMPosted by Sanzen
Good to see another zen player. However as others have mentioned your damage output seems quite low. Good surviveability though.
I focus on assists! That's the strategy Ive been developing over the months.

Def assists - Most in game: 52 (Harmony)
Off assists - Most in game: 48 (Discord)

Defensive assists - 648 (Harmony)
Offensive assists - 652 (Discord)

(Funny how these seem to be in balance, coincidence?)

Eliminations - 568

It's about your team's damage, not Zen's!
I wished it showed how much extra discord damage I've helped my team do! As you can see my assists are significantly higher than my eliminations, thus the lack of personal damage.
01/11/2017 07:31 AMPosted by Keystone1
Thanks for the tips. Really starting to understand how important not dying as zen is. 20 seconds of no discord/harmony is just massive considering how many fights he can swing and how quickly he gains ult charge
You are very welcome!
01/11/2017 07:35 AMPosted by Melson
01/11/2017 07:22 AMPosted by Sanzen
I focus on assists! That's the strategy Ive been developing over the months.

Eliminations - 568

I wished it showed how much extra discord damage I've helped my team do! As you can see my assists are significantly higher than my eliminations, thus the lack of personal damage.

Hmm that's interesting. The difference in our play style could be due to our rank level. Where I'm at in gold (and playing with two new friends) I feel I have to contribute personal damage quite a bit. Where you are at you may not have that problem since they are better players (dps that is). Where I'm at dps does not always focus fire discords despite my callouts. So I take it into my own hands lol
01/11/2017 07:53 AMPosted by Sanzen
<span class="truncated">...</span>I focus on assists! That's the strategy Ive been developing over the months.

Eliminations - 568

Hmm that's interesting. The difference in our play style could be due to our rank level. Where I'm at in gold (and playing with two new friends) I feel I have to contribute personal damage quite a bit. Where you are at you may not have that problem since they are better players (dps that is). Where I'm at dps does not always focus fire discords despite my callouts. So I take it into my own hands lol
Been playing Zen since low platinum! Also, I dont count on focus fire since the lack of communication in soloQ is too heavy. I discord EVERY hero I see rapidly so every hero gets affected. Maybe I'll record it sometimes so you can see what I mean! Practice enough and prioritizing will become your second nature, just like harmony orb reflexes.
Good info so far. Thanks!

Any tips on how to deal with flankers?
Nice to see another Zenyatta user.
He is a true unsung hero.
2 Questions:

1: Do you ever use his secondary fire? And if so when do you use it/reconmend to use it?

2: At what range do you reconmend playing Zen at? Closer up to the main tanks and DPS, or further back into the backline?
....and discord the target of an ally Rein's pin so his kill is as good as confirmed.

Hm, I need to do this. Good tip, thanks.
01/11/2017 09:41 AMPosted by Matlock
....and discord the target of an ally Rein's pin so his kill is as good as confirmed.

Hm, I need to do this. Good tip, thanks.

I also do this to hooked targets. Discord my team mate's hooked targets and harmony my buddies being hooked by the enemy. Works well.

Been playing Zen since low platinum! Also, I dont count on focus fire since the lack of communication in soloQ is too heavy. I discord EVERY hero I see rapidly so every hero gets affected. Maybe I'll record it sometimes so you can see what I mean! Practice enough and prioritizing will become your second nature, just like harmony orb reflexes.

Yeah I try to discord a ton too. If nothing else it forces enemy team to shy away from battle.. either that or they die.
Congrats on Masters!

I just hit Diamond solo que this season and enjoying playing Zenyatta more than any other character. Unfortunately I feel like my team will not survive most of the time if I don't play Ana to carry heal or Lucio to speed them in and out of danger.

Q: Have you run into this issue, where your team either requests Ana/Lucio or Zen isn't working?

Also, as I read above you focus on assists, which is great, but I feel like my team often doesn't get it done unless I'm dealing a lot of damage and finishing blows that they fail to. I play an aggressive Zenyatta, as seen by the average deaths: 9.53 deaths (mine) vs 6.69 deaths (yours). My overbuff - https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/WarmasterCly-1355?mode=competitive

Q: What do you do if your team is not capitalizing on you assisting them?
Do you experience tranquility when playing Zenyatta?
Do you ever use your Transcendence to save only yourself, and if so, when?
Do you tap main fire or hold down for continuous?

Also have you changed any of your key bindings?

I have discord on left click and charged shot on E. allows me to discord and shoot quickly and !@#$ heal teammates. E is annoying but I use it so rarely