So, Realistically, Will I Ever Be Able to Play the PTR?

PTR Bug Report
I get the "unexpected server error occurred" message any time I try to log in. I got it when Sombra was released, and eventually gave up. I saw that Blizzard said at the time that they were fixing accounts and figured it would be fixed soon enough, and just accepted that I could try Sombra when she went live.

So now I want to play with Roadhog before he goes live. Except I get the same message. And then I see a post by Jeff Kaplan that states how incredibly few people actually play the PTR, so now I'm not just annoyed, I'm frustrated and kind of mad.

I'm not playing the PTR because I literally can't play the PTR. So I look here, and I see a post at the top of this forum about the problem.

Okay, so no workaround, but you're performing account fixes regularly when possible.

What the heck does that even mean? "Regularly" and "when possible" are two very different measurements of time.

At this point, I accept that I probably won't get to test Roadhog at all. But last time, I accepted that I wouldn't get to test the thing I wanted, but figured it'd be fixed the next time around... and it wasn't.

So yeah. Realistically, will I ever be able to play the PTR, or should I just uninstall it and save a little space on my hard drive?
01/06/2017 10:03 PMPosted by GeneralSith
So yeah. Realistically, will I ever be able to play the PTR, or should I just uninstall it and save a little space on my hard drive?

Yeah... I suppose I knew my answer already.
i get into ptr, but i don't find games because i get connected to korean servers :( i was in queue for 15 mins yesterday, so i didn't bother ever since.
Welcome to my world, I'm gunna uninstall for the disk space.
I get the "unexpected server error occurred" message any time I try to log in. I got it when Sombra was released, and eventually gave up. I saw that Blizzard said at the time that they were fixing accounts and figured it would be fixed soon enough, and just accepted that I could try Sombra when she went live.

So now I want to play with Roadhog before he goes live. Except I get the same message. And then I see a post by Jeff Kaplan that states how incredibly few people actually play the PTR, so now I'm not just annoyed, I'm frustrated and kind of mad.

I'm not playing the PTR because I literally can't play the PTR. So I look here, and I see a post at the top of this forum about the problem.

Okay, so no workaround, but you're performing account fixes regularly when possible.
What the heck does that even mean? "Regularly" and "when possible" are two very different measurements of time.

At this point, I accept that I probably won't get to test Roadhog at all. But last time, I accepted that I wouldn't get to test the thing I wanted, but figured it'd be fixed the next time around... and it wasn't.

Its really pisses me off that Blizzard doesn't ever respond. People take 15 minutes to write something informative and no one responds. Not a "Thanks for bring that to our attention, we are working on it, thank you for being patient. " Or a "Hey there this is so and so, I am going to email you and walk you through a few things to see if this fixes your issue."

Just crickets over and over.... #Discouraged100% #Frustrated100%
Hey folks, apologies for the frustration. Unfortunately the error stems from a data migration problem when copying data from the live database to the ptr database. The underlying cause and fixes for accounts are complicated, but we regularly look for account loading errors and write data fixups when it's possible.

Longer term, hopefully for the 1.8 ptr, we'll have an updated process for transferring accounts which will not only allow us to keep accounts closer in sync (updated near the start of each ptr) but also reduce or eliminate the data migration problems that cause this login error.

Thanks for your patience, as always any new details will be posted in the sticky thread in this forum. We prefer to keep this issue in that topic so it's easier to find details when we make changes and this issue doesn't bury any other ptr bug reports.