Can the developers address Bastion?

General Discussion
1 2 3 67 Next
Highly Rated
Bastion is the only hero that's been ignored ever since launch. He has recieved a handful of reworking in the beta, but has never been looked into ever since.

Bastion is currently in a pretty bad spot. He has the most counters out of all heroes in the game, including quite a bit of hard counters. He's big and immobile, and has no defensive or escape abilities, and requires the team to babysit him all the time.

The devs have already adressed every defense hero and heroes like Symmetra. Widowmaker has got a buff, Torbjorn has got a buff, Mei has got a buff, Junkrat has got a buff, Hanzo has got a buff and they even reworked Symmetra. What about Bastion? he hasn't gotten anything so far, not even a comment from the developers. A "We are currently looking into him, but have no plans yet" would at least be something.

So, could we possibly get a comment from the devs on the current state of Bastion? Could we get anything on the next PTR?

Edit: It happened! Geoff himself has responded!
True story, even every new hero released (ana, sombra) counter bastion. Ana can hit her sleep dart and anti heal granade, sombra can teleport behind him and shred him in his weak spot. Bastion definitely needs something to be viable.
01/22/2017 07:57 AMPosted by Aron
True story, even every new hero released (ana, sombra) counter bastion. Ana can hit her sleep dart and anti heal granade, sombra can teleport behind him and shred him in his weak spot. Bastion definitely needs something to be viable.

actually, Bastion have time to turn around and kill sombra before sombra kill him when she unloads the clip on him.
but what bastion have to worry about is her hack as it forces him out of turret mode and no selfhealing
01/22/2017 08:17 AMPosted by pikamaxi
01/22/2017 07:57 AMPosted by Aron

actually, Bastion have time to turn around and kill sombra before sombra kill him when she unloads the clip on him.
but what bastion have to worry about is her hack as it forces him out of turret mode and no selfhealing

This is true, although most of the time Bastion is left with 80 - 100 health after such an attack, so her team can easily finish him off. Hacking him on the other hand temporarily makes him completely useless, which allows for a quick push and easy kill, considering his self-heal ability and tank mode are locked for the duration of the hack.
I second this demand. Please give something to Bastion, dear devs. The only decision made by the dev team that I'm aware of and that I've disapproved since the start was the removal of Bastion's shield to simply rise his DPS (while increasing his HP a bit).

As the ultimate immobile hero in Overwatch, he needs to be able to stand his ground to actually be worthy of his name, unfortunately it is not the case right now since almost every hero can easily force Bastion out of position as soon as his location is revealed. My proposition would be to allow Bastion to deploy a frontal shield of more or less 1000 HP like he had during beta, during which his DPS would drastically decrease (something between 33-75%, to be tested of course). The idea is that like that Bastion can choose between high DPS and high protection, also allowing him to protect himself from flankers more easily. It makes his whole gameplay more reactive and strategic even while being stationary.

This frontal shield can be deployed in all situations (though maybe with a short transition period of something like 1 second before being able to fire while turning the shield on or off) and regenerates similarly to a Renihardt's, even while self-repairing. This means that Bastion would actually be able to use his selfheal now, unless his frontal shield is completely destroyed. That way, he can fight back against flankers so more easily, while not completely shredding them with his current normal DPS. The decrease in DPS while the shield is deployed makes it so flankers can fight him with less risk, yet more challenge and skills involved (Bastion would remain able to turn 360 degree, something he couldn't do during beta), though now they'll need to actually surprise and flank a Bastion to kill him. Right now, Bastion is in such a state that any character can kill him easily from medium to long range supposing they have access to attacks that can reach characters at at least medium range (basically, anyone except Winston). I believe that giving Bastion more protection would be the best course of change considering how he is the ultimate 'immobile' protection hero. If not his shield, something has to be given to him.

His themes are power and unmovable. Please find something to make him a real viable static hero.
Just a note: Please remember that Bastion shuold NEVER be a viable "main" pick.

That comes from how easy to use he is and the nature of his turret design. If you think its good game design to have a turret-hero like this be able to reliably beat all the skillful characters in the game, you're quite simply wrong.

Bastion is fine as a "niche" strategy pick.

However, it is true that that strategy barely ever works, so he deserves to be buffed. But he needs to be buffed in the spirit of a "bastion strat", not to make him a viable solo Q main.
Highly Rated
Can the developers address Bastion?
Yes they Can.

They Won't.
Wait 2-3 months and maybe they will see our poor little omnic :(
01/22/2017 07:19 AMPosted by Rarithlynx
Bastion is the only hero that's been ignored ever since launch.

That's the only thing you just had to say. This says more then enough.

(I'm not disagreeing with all what OP has said, I'm just trying to point out that the first phrase proves that Bastion is been completely ignored)
how does someone play bastion for 86 hours
01/22/2017 10:55 AMPosted by Delorean

Give me a while to play Bastion for 86 more hours and I'll get back to you.
01/22/2017 10:55 AMPosted by Delorean

Ah yes, silver Genji main is always the one to ask that.

Edit: Crucifer, the man above my comment has 242 hours on Bastion. Everyone has their own preferences.
All I wanna see is some kind of buffs for him(that are fair) or a HUGE rework like Symmetra had then ill be happy for the rest of my life since this isnt May 2016 anymore and we are now in January 2017
Well make some suggestions. Don't just complain that you don't like him.
01/22/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Jake
Just a note: Please remember that Bastion shuold NEVER be a viable "main" pick.

That comes from how easy to use he is and the nature of his turret design. If you think its good game design to have a turret-hero like this be able to reliably beat all the skillful characters in the game, you're quite simply wrong.

Bastion is fine as a "niche" strategy pick.

However, it is true that that strategy barely ever works, so he deserves to be buffed. But he needs to be buffed in the spirit of a "bastion strat", not to make him a viable solo Q main.

Does that really sound fair to you? Bastiom should stay a niche pick just because people like you think he's to simple, despite most of the cast being simple.
01/22/2017 07:19 AMPosted by Rarithlynx
He has the most counters out of all heroes in the game

I mean, I'd be worried if something didn't counter a large, stationary target. His weakness comes from his fundamental design. For him to no longer have that weakness, you'd need to simply get rid of sentry mode entirely and figure out how to make him viable with something else. Else you're buffing sentry and creating a monster that would be difficult to kill at a high level of play, and gamebreaking in lower level play.
Bastion and winston need serious attention.
Take a look at my thread. I've climbed from 1489 to 2824 SR as attack Bastion solo queue. I have 42 hours played on Bastion in S3 competitive, I absolutely love the hero.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752441470

I'm also the 11th most played Bastion in US/PC Competitive

http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/hero/15/mode/ranked/category/time

Now, if you asked me how to buff Bastion, maybe slightly heighten his base movement speed (escaping D.Va ults is very difficult), give his recon gun a 2½ damage bump & lower recoil, while also adding 25 or 30 armor to the hero. Reduce the change time between turret/recon mode, or give back his Beta version 1,000 absorb frontal shield, but this time it only lasts for 5 seconds after deploying his turret, buying him time to do damage, but it has a longer internal cool down or diminishing returns. Also bring his healing ability in line with Soldier 76. Any other buffs I'm not creative enough to contemplate.

I also heard some neat suggestions about giving Bastion a "map awareness" type passive ability, similar to what Widowmaker's Ult is, only less powerful, as it would only detect threats in the immediate vicinity. Like sending out a ping from a submarine, or a fruit bat's echolocation.

What Bastion needs the most is to be able to be a viable pick when left to his own devices. To have a flexible enough kit that he isn't considered a "troll pick", and that he be able to compete with other dps in all map modes on offense/defense like Soldier 76, Reaper, Pharah, or McCree.

A pro Pharah can make a Bastion's life a living hell. I hope mobility/turret changing speed are at the very least, included in the rework.
01/22/2017 12:31 PMPosted by Thomas
Take a look at my thread. I've climbed from 1489 to 2383 SR as attack Bastion solo.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752441470

Now, if you asked me how to buff Bastion, I'd give his recon gun a 2½ damage bump, and add 25 or 30 armor to the hero. That's it.

Impressive, but there's already a mildly famous colorblind Bastion player who reached GM by playing only Bastion and achieved #1 ranking on Overbuff (Yes, only Bastion, both on attack and defense). Even that however doesn't mean Bastion is a viable pick. That guy just has some insane aimbot-like tracking skills and fantastic positioning, but he still tends to die a lot and even lose quite a bit.

01/22/2017 12:29 PMPosted by Voidaxell
Bastion and winston need serious attention.

And Widowmaker. And Junkrat. And Hanzo.

Widow's kit is really bad. While her rifle does great damage, the hook CD and Venom mine are just terrible. Hanzo has low survivability - no real way to escape. Before he even finds a wall to climb onto, he's probably gonna be dead. And Junkrat...well, there's not much to be said about him.

Impressive, but there's already a mildly famous colorblind Bastion player who reached GM by playing only Bastion and achieved #1 ranking on Overbuff (Yes, only Bastion, both on attack and defense). Even that however doesn't mean Bastion is a viable pick. That guy just has some insane aimbot-like tracking skills and fantastic positioning, but he still tends to die a lot and even lose quite a bit.

I can only speak from personal experience, and from what I've seen firsthand, as I have played 18 hours on the hero in comp S3. It is what dug me out of my SR hole.

As it stands, I've found that Bastion has an incredibly effective kit in the current tank meta. His ability to quickly dispose of full rein shields within seconds, and pick off enemy tanks/healers with little effort makes him a threat that requires enemy team resources to deal with. His ultra high dps comes as a great counter weight to an abundance of tank picks. If a team is uncoordinated or distracted, I can wipe out half of their players in the span of 9-12 seconds.

How I usually lay down his turret mode is while I am running in motion. I will dart out from a safe position and transform mid air, buying me half a second of time transforming into turret mode under complete anonymity. This can sometimes make the difference whether I am targeted right away or not. Another method is to wait for a heated battle to start, have your teammates engaged in a fight, and then enter into the middle of the fray. This is because usually people don't switch targets they're in the process of killing, and you can take them down rather quickly.