Overwatch Cross Platform Compatibility

General Discussion
I feel most Overwatch players face the saddening truth of not being able to play games with their console or PC friends. Blizzard had tried to add cross platform compatibility before, but PC users would have a slight advantage because of their control over their mouse versus the control of a console controller.
The technology for Xbox One to PS4 gameplay is in our reach, and has been stated to already exist, but is restricted due to politics with the consoles' creators. If the same technology could exist for console to PC gameplay, why should Blizzard halt the development of what could be one of the, if not, greatest feat in gaming history?
If Blizzard should choose to implement this suggestion, then console and PC users should have the option to enable gameplay with other platforms. This would eliminate the argument of PC players having an advantage, since all users could control who they play with at the flick of a switch.
The technology for cross platform play is a very feasible subject, and I feel if Blizzard, Microsoft, Sony, and the players all worked together, we could achieve spectacular heights with cross platform gameplay.
As a console player, I feel it's a good idea, but at the same time not. It can be a great addition to the game to play with friends and that. But you'll be playing vs Aimboters.
Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
01/21/2017 03:14 PMPosted by PorLaHorda
As a console player, I feel it's a good idea, but at the same time not. It can be a great addition to the game to play with friends and that. But you'll be playing vs Aimboters.
Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

Yes, unfortunately that is a problem in PC gameplay. Maybe there could be a way to add PC friends to a console group, and play on the console servers to assure there are no cheaters?
I don't see this working too well. Objectively speaking without any regard to control preference, a mouse has more aiming precision than a control stick. You have more fine control with your whole wrist rather than just your thumb(which is also why people who draw use their whole wrist while doing so).

That's not to say that there aren't games where a controller is just as good as KB+M or even better, but Overwatch simply isn't one of those games. And even if it did happen, I wouldn't expect it to be the case for competitive play.
Then arises the problem of PC cheaters joining console servers. Disabling cross platform play for console players could solve this problem, but having that option on would have to be a risk the console players would be willing to take (hence, it being an option, not mandatory).
01/21/2017 03:31 PMPosted by Air
I don't see this working too well. Objectively speaking without any regard to control preference, a mouse has more aiming precision than a control stick. You have more fine control with your whole wrist rather than just your thumb(which is also why people who draw use their whole wrist while doing so).

That's not to say that there aren't games where a controller is just as good as KB+M or even better, but Overwatch simply isn't one of those games. And even if it did happen, I wouldn't expect it to be the case for competitive play.

Well, in my times I have seen many console players with skill that would definitely be a match to PC players' advantage, which is why I left cross platform play as an option. Competitive play would probably be left absent from cross platform games, because of the mouse's superiority. Nonetheless, we should all still be able to enjoy a fun Arcade or Quick Play match with our console/PC buddies.
You cannot allow ranked queue though...unless you allow only 6 man queues or make a separate ranking
What console player would enable that?
Cross-play is actually politically viable nowadays, but there's a lot of logistical reasons to keep all platforms separate, especially between PC and consoles. Different server environments means the ability to have independent balancing, platform-specific promotions, and mitigating risk from blowing your server capacity (for instance, a free weekend on PS4 should not cripple Xbox and PC OW).
Maybe there could be a particular mode in the Arcade mode based around this.
A non-competitive mode where both PC and console can play together. MMR is adjusted seperate to console vs console play and vice versa. This allows people to play with their friends on PC, without having any real harm. Unfortunately I feel that this would be abused by PC smurfs, however the thing about Overwatch is that it doesn't matter what your aim is like, if a console player's situational awareness outmatches the PC player, the console player will almost always win. I feel that this can be implemented somehow, but not to be taken seriously, just a game-mode for shenanigans.
For Xbox and Ps4 maybe, but not console to PC. Cross platforming really depends on the game, shooters aren't particularly good for this. If it doesn't involve precision aiming with a mouse, then cross platforming could certainly work well.
01/21/2017 03:40 PMPosted by ArztDerpy
Well, in my times I have seen many console players with skill that would definitely be a match to PC players' advantage

Someone could learn how to draw while wearing boxing gloves, but it doesn't mean they'll ever be as good an artist as someone who isn't.

KB+M is so superior and accurate a control scheme that mixing console users in with controllers will just end in those console players quitting. Microsoft experimented with this. The console players in the test had no chance and even some of their test group started quitting on them.
01/21/2017 03:54 PMPosted by BortyTheBort
Maybe there could be a particular mode in the Arcade mode based around this.
A non-competitive mode where both PC and console can play together. MMR is adjusted seperate to console vs console play and vice versa. This allows people to play with their friends on PC, without having any real harm. Unfortunately I feel that this would be abused by PC smurfs, however the thing about Overwatch is that it doesn't matter what your aim is like, if a console player's situational awareness outmatches the PC player, the console player will almost always win. I feel that this can be implemented somehow, but not to be taken seriously, just a game-mode for shenanigans.

I strongly agree with this idea. I had the sensation that a separate Arcade gamemode could be created around the cross platform idea, with nothing too serious taking place.
The game is also balanced slightly differently on consoles to how it is on PC. For example, Torbjorn's turret does considerably less damage on consoles (33% if memory serves). This was done because of the limitations of using a gamepad - you can't instantly snap your viewpoint towards where you're being shot from when using a pad, like you can with a mouse & keyboard.

The turret, however, can still do this on console just fine.
01/21/2017 04:08 PMPosted by Mercury
The game is also balanced slightly differently on consoles to how it is on PC. For example, Torbjorn's turret does considerably less damage on consoles (33% if memory serves). This was done because of the limitations of using a gamepad - you can't instantly snap your viewpoint towards where you're being shot from when using a pad, like you can with a mouse & keyboard.

The turret, however, can still do this on console just fine.

It's been repeatedly said that the nerf to his turret was due to players stacking him until they eliminated that, then they never unnerfed it.

Same reason why Winston's shield sucks on PC. Players early on stacked him. Once limits were put in place, they never fixed him.
I appreciate the feedback you all have given me. I hope Blizzard will consider incorporating a way for PC and console gamers to play together, even if it's only something minor, like an arcade gamemode. Even that would be an amazing feat, and would provide fun for all players, and those who find this is a bad idea, then they could choose to not participate. I wish you all the best, (especially with the new update).
01/21/2017 03:33 PMPosted by ArztDerpy
Then arises the problem of PC cheaters joining console servers. Disabling cross platform play for console players could solve this problem, but having that option on would have to be a risk the console players would be willing to take (hence, it being an option, not mandatory).

True but it's not just a console issue, I'm a PC player and we need to deal with aimbotters, cheaters and hackers, if the console players need to deal with it too it's hardly an advantage for the PC players since other PC players in the same game are dealing with that very same cheater so I kind of see that point as being invalidated.
I play on both console and PC. I wouldn't want this at all. Aiming and movement on PC is so much more fluid, playing on console with PC players just wouldn't be fun.

Also from a tech perspective, having three large companies open up their servers like this is just asking to get hacked or DDOS'd. Just no.
If they can't do cross platform why don't they just give everyone that bought it for PS4 or Xbox the pic version also
It could be a thing for at the very least custom games. I mean if they could make it happen why not? It should be an enable/disable option for custom games, so at the very least friends could play with each other if they're on different platforms or it's just taking too long to get a full group so you enable to get a full house for a custom game quicker.