My Comp Credo - Teams that switch, win

Competitive Discussion
Highly Rated
Say what you will about pro comp, skill, who's OP, who needs a buff/nerf... But it all boils down to this: Teams that switch, win. Simple. This is why that insta-lock Hanzo that never changes gets grief. This is why the tank plays their heart out, tilts, and loses. THIS IS WHY NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY HEALER.

It's a very simple principle. I don't care how good you USUALLY are playing a character. I don't care if playing a character is considered "situational". Here's a game changing philosophy: ALL GAMES ARE SITUATIONAL. Every team you're gonna face is unique like a fingerprint. There's no winning formula, no magic bullet, no comp that guarantees a win, no matter how well played.

The best you can do is to analyze the situations of the current game and switch accordingly.

I have won games with comps that didn't make any sense, but fit the situation at hand. Yes, there are certain comps that just make sense and maximize success. But maximize doesn't equal guarantee. You have to play what works in the game.

Game 1: I was playing Zenyatta to my friend's Reinhardt. We stomp the first KotH point. Our team is running some Lucio plus random damage, and it's working. But on point two, the enemy goes Pharah. Now, we're getting owned by rockets. I call for a change. Someone goes McCree, but it doesn't work. I watch the four other slots rotate in various permutations, and it doesn't work. My Rein even goes to Pharah to fight her in the sky. We lose an objective. Midway through losing the next objective, I announce, "Guys, I HAVE to play McCree. That Pharah has to die. Someone PLEASE take up the healing I leave behind." So, I go McCree. Every time I lay eyes on that Pharah, she is put in peril. I'm either killing her or getting her so dead that she's out of the fight. It's all for nought as we BARELY lose the objective. So now it's 1-2, but I've felt the winds of change - we BARELY lost. I pep up the team, "We've got it now, because we barely lost that one." And guess what happened? WE STOMPED THOSE KIDS FROM THAT POINT FORWARD. I think the Pharah even switched, because my McCree kept killing her. Someone picked the Zenyatta I changed from. I looked at our comp: our support/tanks went DPS, and our DPS was now healing. We literally turned our team inside out and we won. I congratulated our team: "You guys ROCK! You are all-stars, and you will keep winning because teams that switch, win!"

Second game: I have a semi-tilted Ana whom I've lobbied with in a cancelled game moments before. He's already upset at my insta-lock McCree, because two other folks insta-locked DPS. I said, "I will tank" and went D. Va. That game was cancelled, and we got reassigned to Nepal. We have a team of insta-lock damage. We lose the first objective. I said, "Guys, we need more help, we need more support. If you can't get eliminations, support your team in other ways." From that, we got a new Lucio pick. Our Ana went Zenyatta. I went Zarya. So now we have two heals, a decent tank, a Genji, and a few other folks. We go in to the big pit map, and the Genji is playing it safe. "I can't be the frontline tank guys," I said. "Play in front of me, and I WILL PROTECT YOU." The Genji now plays in front of me, and I bubble him as often as I can and cast damage to the folks doing him harm. The Zenyatta puts discord on enemies so that I can melt them with the charge. The objective changes hands multiple times, but I've charged my ULT. I emote that and I say on the mic, "I have graviton charged. If you want to hold onto your ULTS, be ready!" I head in, we retake the objective. And then the enemy starts to trickle in. I figure, time for crowd control. "Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"

"The dragon becomes me!" Our Genji listened! He goes into the enemy. He slices. He dices. He absolutely destroys them. "That Genji's doing a crispy emote," our Zen says. He deserves it. He waited for teamwork, and it payed off. It benefited him. It benefited us all.

From that point forward, I was just tank enabler. I said, "Mother Russia will protect you." I very nearly died at a crucial time. "EXPERIENCE -- TRANQUILITY." My Zen ulted to keep me alive. We absolutely destroyed them. Genji got PotG (of course, he knew it!) and we got the win. I got four votes, and the Genji got two. The Genji did the work, but my team knew who made that happen.

The point is, even when we were down, we switched, and we won. We made synergy without all of us having mics. My callouts as tank and the healer's call outs helped our DPS, who we enabled to do our damage.

Teams that switch, win. It's that simple.
I'm with you on this. I wish more people looked at the team as a whole and didn't just use their main because that's what they always do. I like to use Zarya as much as a can but in one instance someone else picked her. No biggie. I picked Pharah and when we both had our Ults ready to go, the player used Zarya's ult then I came in with Pharah's. It worked out beautifully, and resulted in a team kill and capturing the point.

I'm still blown away that most everyone in competitive does not use a mic? How can you work together effectively without communicating. Sure, sometimes it works.
I only see people switching to trollpicks.
You "suggest" you may need both a healer and a tank and neither of the 4 dps is going to anything. When manage a balanced game then one of the dps is generally clueless. When you have 2 competent dps and other 2 non braindead you win the game.

I strongly agree that being flexible and have knowledge of counterpicking and team comp situations is a skill generally ignored by most people. Even at high levels.
12/10/2016 06:00 PMPosted by Tiamat
I strongly agree that being flexible and have knowledge of counterpicking and team comp situations is a skill generally ignored by most people.
Yes. This, and focus fire. Why do so many people go into 1v1 skirmishes rather than work together as a team taking one enemy at a time?

These are the two strategies that I see:

CoD: Everyone fans out to try to get kills, letting their teammates cap the objective. Problem is, since everyone fanned out for kills, no one sees it as their duty to cap the point. That's for the tanks and healers to do, right? But that's the issue. The tanks and healers can't support 4 people heading in 4 separate directions, and those 4 often get owned by the enemy, leaving the enemy team to turn on the few folks holding the objective as the DPS respawns.

Overwatch: The team sticks together, working as a team to focus fire one enemy at a time, and, when at man advantage, push to the objective together to victory. You don't need mics, just good situational awareness. Pharah's shooting rockets? D. Va uses defense matrix to protect the team. Enemy Mei coming in? Focus fire. Healer in the back? Pick that healer off.

One way wins games. The other playstyle has no business in this game.
And to continue, Overwatch doesn't have elimination STEALING, it has elimination SHARING. Meaning, if you've done some unhealed damage on an enemy, you get credit for the elimination. One enemy death could result in multiple eliminations. Only one scores the final blow (which is reported in the top right kill feed), but there isn't a medal for final blows and few people actually check the kill feed on a regular basis. So, why would you selfishly go for AN elimination when you can get ALL eliminations by just helping your team kill each enemy one at a time?
I strongly agree with the principle here from the OP. Teams that switch do win. I started in Silver, and just got to Platinum today. What was the key? I think it was switching and having teammates that switched.

In the game that got me to Plat, I started as D.Va but switched to Ana so that our other healer could play our second tank (they chose Winston). He did much better than I did as tank and I did better than him as healer. This was on offense. On defense, they had a Pharah that was wrecking us, so I switched to Widowmaker (from Ana) just until the Pharah was discouraged and switched. It worked, and then I went back to Ana. We won. It was a non-toxic game and people were willing to cooperate and encourage each other.
I wonder how long it'll take for plat and below to catch on to the 3tank+ana meta

I bet you'd steamroll the 2/2/2's with it regardless of skill gap
too bad 100% of my games have a Hanzo that just doesn't switch
My climb to plat has gone the same way tbh. I had to log after 4 straight losses, was starting to get too tilted. I like to wait and see what my team picks and fill the gaps, but that leaves me stuck in support more often than not, and when dps or tanks aren't doing their jobs its next to impossible to get them to switch most times. I'm not rude about asking either, but getting told to !@#$ off is really off putting. I just want to play with flexible people. You'd think by gold that %^-* would die off, but it doesn't.
12/12/2016 02:00 PMPosted by Staun
My climb to plat has gone the same way tbh. I had to log after 4 straight losses, was starting to get too tilted. I like to wait and see what my team picks and fill the gaps, but that leaves me stuck in support more often than not, and when dps or tanks aren't doing their jobs its next to impossible to get them to switch most times. I'm not rude about asking either, but getting told to !@#$ off is really off putting. I just want to play with flexible people. You'd think by gold that %^-* would die off, but it doesn't.
Interestingly enough, I play XBox and have the worst luck on the weekends. My best luck is weekday evenings, after about 10:30 EST. That's when I find the best teammates.
Yea, apparently mid day during the week gets you stuck with people who are barely above brain dead. Going to have to stop queuing at that time.
Last night I did fairly well: 3-1. The one loss was BARELY a loss - Dorado lost by a few feet. Problem was we had DPS quite content to sit back and let the enemy gain ground. Few challenged the objective. And what did I have? A tank that actually had a mic! That seems to be a key helper - if only two folks have mic, it's the tank and healer, and THEY call the shots and the DPS follows suit. That strat almost won us the game in spite of flabby DPS.
12/12/2016 10:38 AMPosted by Brick
I wonder how long it'll take for plat and below to catch on to the 3tank+ana meta

I bet you'd steamroll the 2/2/2's with it regardless of skill gap

Nope, unless you're a que it's not gonna work due to a lack of coordination.
12/10/2016 09:18 AMPosted by BauerPower24
My Rein even goes to Pharah to fight her in the sky.

????????
12/15/2016 01:34 PMPosted by Gosu
My Rein even goes to Pharah to fight her in the sky.

????????
My friend switched from Reinhardt to play Pharah. Those are his mains.
Listen to this guy, he is silver so he knows what he is talking about.
You should become a journalist because that was just 10/10 entertaining to read.
you know what sucks, when our only healer decides to switch in the middle of the game with out telling anyone.
There's no winning formula, no magic bullet, no comp that guarantees a win, no matter how well played.

True but there is a bunch of comps and heroes that makes your win chances higher. Tier list, meta... Have you heard of it ?

I have won games with comps that didn't make any sense

Me too. A pro team playing against a bunch of bronzes will win no matter what... They don't need to worry about comps because they are way better players.
The Matchmaking is bad in every single team game also in Overwatch a lot of people share their accounts. So if the enemy team is way worse they are probrably going to lose no matter yours or theirs comp.
12/19/2016 07:13 AMPosted by Understeer
you know what sucks, when our only healer decides to switch in the middle of the game with out telling anyone.
That person needs a mic to announce that.