Tracer is gay/bi confirmed

General Discussion
Prev 1 173 174 175 438 Next
12/22/2016 12:59 AMPosted by Kelmaro

Can you explain what agenda these 'savages' had for making a religion that got them persecuted? Also, bias doesn't equal falsehood. I guarantee you that victims of the holocaust were biased against the actual holocaust, they doesn't mean they were all inclined to lie about events.

If anything it helped make them more honest. Last I checked, we aren't throwing out all Jewish accounts of the holocaust.

Not sure we are on the same page here so lets just move on....
12/22/2016 12:55 AMPosted by Kelmaro
12/22/2016 12:48 AMPosted by Rhiza
OOOOH, I GET IT NOW.

You're one of those people who think that morals are founded in religion, right?

So that's why you were so fervent about defending your intolerance from "intolerance" and leading the discussion towards moral nihilism; your idea of "moral" standard comes from the Bible and you believe that those who do not follow the same religious script have no moral founding.

Am I right?

Let me put it this way, then I'm heading out for the night.
If all morality is just based on what we believe then it's essentially nonexistent. We could spend all day discussing why such and such action may be right or wrong but it's just opinion.

The only way to know if something actually is wrong is to have a standard of some sort.
CALLED IT.

I'm sorry you don't have the intellectual or moral capacity to figure things out for yourself.
Can someone please explain to me what the point of all this discussion is?
someone have to put the focus on Reaper in the comic,he is so lonely
The one thing I don't like about this whole thing is that I agree that this entire thing feels like a publicity stunt. The reveal is clearly structured for maximum shock value - despite the game being out for a long time now, we haven't heard a single word about Emily until now (compare, say, Ana and Sombra, who were teased for months before they appeared), and on the very same page we find out that she exists we get a big snog between her and Tracer. That was designed to be controversial and get people talking about the game, at a time when Overwatch not coincidentally happens to be on sale.

I just hope Emily isn't just a one-note character who will be immediately shoved to the side and never given any development now that she fulfilled her purpose.
Can someone please explain to me what the point of this discussion is? Because its not like it matters.

If it doesn't matter to you, you can simply go read other threads.
It matters to some people..doesn't matter to me that shes gay.

But reading this thread just shows how intolerant people still are.
12/22/2016 01:11 AMPosted by KrTheMaster
Can someone please explain to me what the point of all this discussion is?

To argue..

About pixels
12/22/2016 01:13 AMPosted by Kefka
Can someone please explain to me what the point of this discussion is? Because its not like it matters.

If it doesn't matter to you, you can simply go read other threads.
It matters to some people.
I just want to hear what people are thinking about when saying all this....
gay
@Rhiza

Ibcan figure things out just fine, I do pity you though. It's clear you have a lot of opinions but no way to justify them. That has got to be rough.

Night folks

What is sexual about a simple kiss between consenting adults? What aspect of that qualifies as sexual? Does that mean all the times children's cartoons show parents kissing, that's sexual? Every time a straight couple out in public simply kisses one another on the lips, that's sexual? When your parents in your own home simply kiss on the lips, that's sexual? What, precisely, makes that in any way, shape, or form, sexual.

It was clear the kiss was not on the same level as a peck on the cheek. Otherwise they couldn't have done that. Instead they where drawn in a much more intimate kiss. If I saw anyone doing it that I'd consider it sexual.

Right, yes, not a peck on the cheek. That would be why I specifically never once used that as an example, instead using examples of kissing on the lips.

So your parents never kissed on the lips in front of you? Nor grandparents? Nor aunts and uncles? You've never been to a wedding as a kid? Never watched Disney cartoons? All of those quite specifically have same-sex couples kissing one another in full on the lips. Not a French kiss, which is certainly not implied in the comic (note how the lips are not open, and no tongue is shown?).

That you are interpreting that as crossing the line from intimate to sexual is...well, it's fascinating, honestly. Nothing about a traditional kiss on the lips is sexual. No sex is involved. At all. In any way. Hence why it parents do it all the time in front of kids. Why princes and princesses in cartoons, including Disney, do it all the time, yet it's completely age appropriate for kids to see pretty much around the entire planet, across cultures, with few exceptions.
Thanks God at least in Russia this degeneracy is banned and comic cant be viewed.

Putin also traveled to Japan few days ago to met with Prime Minister and ensure that Hibike Euphonium does not have yuri end, and that Yuri on Ice gayness is played off as a joke.

Thank you, Putin!
12/22/2016 01:13 AMPosted by Terotrous
The one thing I don't like about this whole thing is that I agree that this entire thing feels like a publicity stunt. The reveal is clearly structured for maximum shock value - despite the game being out for a long time now, we haven't heard a single word about Emily until now (compare, say, Ana and Sombra, who were teased for months before they appeared), and on the very same page we find out that she exists we get a big snog between her and Tracer. That was designed to be controversial and get people talking about the game, at a time when Overwatch not coincidentally happens to be on sale.
I'd argue that Blizzard revealed it in the most low-key way they could, actually.

Ana and Sombra were massive, long-term announcements because they directly impacted the game - the product. They are tangable parts of the playable game, and interactable to some degree. They have mechanics, code and substance.

Tracer being gay/bi is just another peg in her background, a relatively small part of the overall lore of the Overwatch universe, in a comic that came out on a special occasion and featured the personal lives of several other main characters, and the comic only being accessable from the media section of the website. In comparison to everything else, Tracer's sexuality reveal is actually incredibly small and spaced out from the game actual. It isn't referenced, mentioned or otherwise bought up if all you are interested in the game of Overwatch itself.

The only reason it's blowing up is because, despite being an incredibly small gesture, it means a lot to many people. Some of them positively, some of them negatively.

I seriously doubt many people would suddenly decide to buy Overwatch just because 1 character of 24 was depicted getting comfortable with and kissing another girl in a couple of panels in a comic that isn't even in the game itself.
Everyone keeps saying kisses aren't sexual when anyone who's kissed knows that is pretty much the beginning of the foreplay before things really heat up, you can't possibly tell me that kissing someone you love doesn't sexually arouse you, that alone should be indicative enough, and if kissing doesn't cause any kind of reaction whatsoever to you, then why do it at all?...
12/22/2016 01:18 AMPosted by Kelmaro
@Rhiza

Ibcan figure things out just fine, I do pity you though. It's clear you have a lot of opinions but no way to justify them. That has got to be rough.
You take your "justification" from an ancient book, written by ignorant men and re-translated, re-hashed, editted and split up numerous times over centuries to the current edition you take your life advice from now. How do you even begin to consider that reliable?

I have my justification, and it comes from my conscience. Because I'm mature enough to understand the simple concept of "you shouldn't hurt or diminish people who do nothing to you because they don't like it and there's no need for it". It's as simple as 2+2=4, and just as easily provable, unless you're looking for an excuse to circumvent morality.
The indifference the silent majority of gamers feel, gay or otherwise, isn't necessarily a toxic thing. Whenever people make a big deal about something, it also attracts the worst of the worst from the gaming community to come in and make a noise, complain, moooooan. But then ALL gamers are seen to be responsible for that noise and there's some pushback. Suddenly we have a controversial topic, yay.

Controversy that only further perpetuates itself because the next time an event like this happens, we can say - "hey, gamers are probably going to hate this but that's why we need to do this."

Meanwhile most gamers are scratching their heads in silence, going, "Okay, Tracer is gay. So what?" But that's not good enough. If you're not an 'ally', you're an enemy as bad as the worst of the bunch.

I'm not taking issue with the gay representation, I'm taking issue with how we're always surprised when there's a big fuss about this kind of social issue, and it usually devolves into petty squabbles. But it's blatantly obvious how these things happen.

I'm not doubting anyone's good faith when it comes to the decisions made, Blizzard's decision to make this canon, press outlets decision to make a big deal about it (because it is important, but at the same time... shouldn't be), and even the SJ community (even if their hardline stance of these things, with little wiggle room to be nuanced on topics like this irritates).

But you have to ask yourself, why does it always devolve into trolls, lols, and outrage?

Because we're all human. "Gamer" isn't a belief system. It's an element of what makes us fully fleshed out. You get nice people who are gamers, bad people who are gamers, trolls who are gamers, gay gamers, Brazillian gamers. Whatever, it's not a mass identity that covers everything - so when the trolls come out to play, they're gamers but that doesn't mean all gamers hate social issues.

Being gay (for some reason the longer more accurate word is censored by Blizz-forums) has been prejudiced against long enough that I understand how many may feel their sexuality is super duper important. Far too long has "CIS" (or straight, whatever) been the 'default'. But that will NEVER change if we keep making a fuss every time a character's sexuality is (pause for dramatic effect) 'revealed'.

Human should be the default (not straight, not gay, not gamer), sexuality an element, hobbies an element. Just don't judge all gamers as not being supporters of LGBT rights just because they don't see the big fuss - taken in good faith, that's a sign of acceptance. And certainly don't judge all gamers because of a minority of trolls and actual bigots; bigots can be gamers too, bigots can be gay too.

These labels only serve to dehumanise that default.
12/22/2016 01:21 AMPosted by Rhiza
I'd argue that Blizzard revealed it in the most low-key way they could, actually.

Clearly not, the most low-key possible way would be Jeff just saying something like "oh yeah, Tracer is gay" in an interview. This would be an even worse way to do things (hello JK Rowling), but it's just an example.

Alternatively, they could even have just shown Emily a couple pages before the kiss. For example, we could have a panel of her at home saying "I hope Lena's not getting into trouble out there again..." or something as she decides to stop the robber. Or even just break the page so that we meet Emily on one page and see the kiss on the next. But they didn't do this because they wanted to keep her hidden until the reveal.

Honestly, I don't really think this is debatable. The way to generate the maximum amount of shock in any form of writing is always to drop a big event / reveal on people with no buildup, because then there's no way readers can figure it out ahead of time.

I seriously doubt many people would suddenly decide to buy Overwatch just because 1 character of 24 was depicted getting comfortable with and kissing another girl in a couple of panels in a comic that isn't even in the game itself.

It's not that the kiss itself is going to move copies, but it generates a ton of publicity for the game and getting your product into the public consciousness is always one of the main ways to push units.

Though it's possible that LGBT representation might get a few people who were on the fence to try it out. A very similar thing happened with Undertale, for example.

The only reason it's blowing up is because, despite being an incredibly small gesture, it means a lot to many people. Some of them positively, some of them negatively.

Yeah, but some of the ppl who bought OW because they liked Tracer are smaked into the face.
And the best is, now ppl want to tell me *I* am a bad person, because i do not like a gay Tracer. In fact i am outraged about this change. And i do no want to back down for to oblige political correctness. I hate this decission.
- It makes Tracer Gay
- I am now a bad person because i do not like this decission.
- I am very angry at the LGBT crowd
- i am very angry at Blizzard

Ppl will say i am intolerant and have a problem with different sexuality. I don't have. I have a problem if you hold this crap into my face. Its like holding really dirty underwear into my face.

Ppl are NOT bad, because they hate Blizzards Kotau to the LGBT.
Great Job Blizzard!