Solve two problems with 1 fix

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Problem 1: Tank Meta
Problem 2: Sombra

Fix: Sombra can hack through shields

Edit: the original thought of hacking through shields might (or not) be too much and too easy. But Sombra being a counter to Reinhardt's shield is something that I believe will benefit and make the game more fun.
It could be improved in several ways. Increased hack speed. Or no interrupts. Or hack while in stealth. I believe she is supposed to be in a unique position to counter Rein and end the stale meta (since Season 1, mind you) But her abilities don't line up to make that play and she will backfire dismally more often than not.
Sombra used to be able to hack through shields in the PTR but it didn't make it to live.

I think having that ability would kinda make Sombra a must pick against chokehold Reins because she can just stand around a corner and freely hack him.
As Kyaw mentioned she originally could do this, but it felt pretty broken to fight against it, especially as Zarya or Reinhardt. Sombra isn't in a super terrible spot but I agree she could use a bit of a boost.
It makes Sombra a must pick against Reins, and it also makes Rein not a must pick because of the added counters.
Most competitive games see 2 Reins so that really needs a fix.
I think it would help against the tank meta a lot
01/03/2017 06:42 PMPosted by chewbakkwa
It makes Sombra a must pick against Reins, and it also makes Rein not a must pick because of the added counters.

Yeah right now Reinhardt is a must have, even over Lucio or Ana, because he's simply so useful and nobody else can fill his shoes. Fixing that (with buffs of other characters, NOT nerfs) would be a good thing.
Sombra shouldnt exist solely to deny rein, all she needs is to not not be so easily countered by simply shooting in her direction
01/03/2017 06:40 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
As Kyaw mentioned she originally could do this, but it felt pretty broken to fight against it, especially as Zarya or Reinhardt. Sombra isn't in a super terrible spot but I agree she could use a bit of a boost.

I saw a suggestion the other day to make the hacked med pack visible to allies so they knew which one to use to boost her ult. Adding to that, maybe even make any enemies she hacks visible too. Since her kit isn't really about killing targets personally it's still a buff but not one that ups her damage.

Yeah, this would be nightmare for Reinhardt.

But srsly Blizz? On all of the threads dedicated to discussing the current meta and its issues, you respond to a thread whose OP has two sentences? C'mon, you guys are better than that.

I think the keyword is 'felt'. We should try it out live instead of just PTR.
Zarya and Reinhardt are one of the strongest and most-picked heroes in the game. Why are we being so scared of putting out counters to them?

Isn't a big part of the game about counterpicking? I don't see an issue if the enemy team commits 1/6 resources to switch a DPS to Sombra just to help a team counter a Reinhardt, because Sombra's damage output is less than the average DPS.
01/03/2017 06:42 PMPosted by Cleesus
I think it would help against the tank meta a lot

You'd effectively negate three tanks, Winston, Zarya, & Reinhardt by doing so. That would leave D.va and Roadhog as the only tanks since Sombra would be a "must pick" at that point. Sombra needs a change, yes, but not a change that basically eliminates two or three tanks as a result of that change. Maybe something like less spread and slightly more damage on her primary weapon or being able to initiate a hack while in stealth, but not something as powerful as hacking through shields.
Better for her to be played as a rein counter than not to be played at all.
01/03/2017 06:44 PMPosted by Gabej
01/03/2017 06:42 PMPosted by chewbakkwa

Yeah right now Reinhardt is a must have, even over Lucio or Ana, because he's simply so useful and nobody else can fill his shoes. Fixing that (with buffs of other characters, NOT nerfs) would be a good thing.

I can agree that something needs to be done about the "must pick" for Rein in every match. Though Sombra is useful against that sort of situation, it's the only situation she is useful in currently (that was WITH the hacking shields). That answer would only cause the team that opts off Rein automatically gets the upper hand cause Sombra no longer is viable for those current metas.
01/03/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Sharksie

But this just obliterates Rein's viability as that's an easy reduction to an extremely close range bullet sponge. Sombra would benefit more from changes to her gun and camo.
01/03/2017 06:48 PMPosted by Paraka

I can agree that something needs to be done about the "must pick" for Rein in every match. Though Sombra is useful against that sort of situation, it's the only situation she is useful in currently (that was WITH the hacking shields). That answer would only cause the team that opts off Rein automatically gets the upper hand cause Sombra no longer is viable for those current metas.

So opt off Rein then! Encourage that kind of gameplay of switching. I see hundreds of posts about the stale meta, and yet everyone is so resistant about taking Rein off the must-pick tier.

Please make her hacking more viable.
You might aswell nerf her health pack denial in rreturn, but its stupid that if you hack a target which isnt easy to do, that you're still not at a significant advantage.
It doesnt even cancel every ability.
01/03/2017 06:50 PMPosted by OliverBurke
01/03/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Sharksie

But this just obliterates Rein's viability as that's an easy reduction to an extremely close range bullet sponge. Sombra would benefit more from changes to her gun and camo.

Yes, because we need more of Rein's viability so that we can move away from a stale metagame.

Yeah I agree that hacking through shields sounds way broken and considering two Reins face each other often there'd be virtually no counterplay to it. I think the only boost she needs is needing to take 30 damage to interrupt a hack. If someone can't get a hack off then they need to approach better.

That would leave D.va and Roadhog as the only tanks since Sombra would be a "must pick" at that point.

Sombra hits D.Va and Roadhog pretty hard though, especially Roadhog she just hacks him and he's left without his self healing, hook, and has the big head hurtbox meaning more bullets crit compared to say Symmetra.
it felt pretty broken to fight against it, especially as Zarya or Reinhardt.

It doesn't seem any more broken to fight against than roadhog hook or scattershot.
It's okay to have hard counterplay. Zarya is "pretty broken to fight against" as Roadhog. The same goes for Soldier as Pharah. With a cast of this size, it's pretty much impossible not to have those kinds of counters unless you homogenize the cast and make everything boring.