Removed for inactivity

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
01/26/2017 08:10 AMPosted by rurubecky
I have only ever seen a warning in chat.

Timeout should be extended esp in comp and the requirement to do damage in addition to moving should be removed.

I get leavers and afks are an issue but sometimes a person just needs a quick moment. So I say ease off a bit.

No "quick moments" that's BS in comp

Maybe in qp or arcade, but not in ranked

Damage requirement is good - keeps people from putting a weight on a key and running into a corner or actively wasting time in a useless part of the map
Technically if people wanted to throw all they would have to do is walk forward and deal 1 damage every 3 minutes not really a hard thing to do.

There are entirely too many threads with you making snarky, thoughtless replies.

You can get removed for defending. That's stupid. Granted, the entire mode isn't very well thought out, but the OP has a valid concern.

I disagree. Snarky yes, thoughtless no. I think you just don't like me.

Not many will with your knee-jerk posts. Read the thread, you don't even know what you're talking about. Thoughtless is the best way to describe them. Please stop spamming with this useless stuff. Thanks.
01/26/2017 08:18 AMPosted by BigCheese

I disagree. Snarky yes, thoughtless no. I think you just don't like me.

Not many will with your knee-jerk posts. Read the thread, you don't even know what you're talking about. Thoughtless is the best way to describe them. Please stop spamming with this useless stuff. Thanks.

Again, i don't mind. It's not a requirement. I'll keep posting how i see fit. Report me if you think you have a case for stopping me from sharing my opinion. You don't. Thanks.
01/26/2017 08:17 AMPosted by TheEqualizer
Technically if people wanted to throw all they would have to do is walk forward and deal 1 damage every 3 minutes not really a hard thing to do.

That's not how CTF works sometimes. If you can get removed while executing a viable strategy (defending lol), something's wrong.
01/26/2017 08:07 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
01/26/2017 07:42 AMPosted by Homer
This should be disabled in capture the flag.

I was on Symmetra, guarding my team's flag. I was on an aggressive team so most of the action took place far from my flag. Without warning I found myself "removed for inactivity" with around 3 minutes left in the game.

If you insist on leaving the activity timer in capture the flag, could you at least have the time reset if you are within 10m of the flag.

A warning across the middle of the screen would also be nice.

You should have received a warning before being removed from that match. If the warning did not display, then there is a bug on our end that we need to fix. The warning displays at the top center of the screen.

Jeff, don't you think that combat AFK timer should go?

Just another example:

Bastion camping on Anubis point B. Usually I set up in a corner where no sniper, Pharah or Genji can reach me directly. If my team is doing good this means I may not be involved in a fight for some minutes.

Your combat AFK timer forces me to expose Bastion to damage, just to avoid being kicked, though I want him to be the backup, when someone breaks through to point B.

Feels like the game is bossing me around.
01/26/2017 08:10 AMPosted by athenafox

I had the same thing happen to me, and I got a warning, but I was moving, I was replacing turrets, I was throwing shields, and I'd dropped my shield generator and I was still removed for inactivity just because I wasn't taking damage or getting kills.

I should also say this was right after a round where we'd had a Junkrat sitting in spawn hurting himself with his grenades and he didn't get removed even though he was making it a 5 v 6 so it was extra insulting to have that happen.

This would absolutely be a bug. I don't suppose you have a video of the incident? It would help us figure out what went wrong.
I can't see this as a problem... I mean... you have to stand perfectly still in order for it to kick in... Just move a little bit, run a small timed route around your own base. Be moving at all times, flow... like water....
01/26/2017 08:24 AMPosted by Qwicked
I can't see this as a problem... I mean... you have to stand perfectly still in order for it to kick in... Just move a little bit, run a small timed route around your own base. Be moving at all times, flow... like water....

Nope, there is a separate AFK timer that checks if you are engaged in combat. Dealing damage, healing others.
01/26/2017 08:23 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

I had the same thing happen to me, and I got a warning, but I was moving, I was replacing turrets, I was throwing shields, and I'd dropped my shield generator and I was still removed for inactivity just because I wasn't taking damage or getting kills.

I should also say this was right after a round where we'd had a Junkrat sitting in spawn hurting himself with his grenades and he didn't get removed even though he was making it a 5 v 6 so it was extra insulting to have that happen.

This would absolutely be a bug. I don't suppose you have a video of the incident? It would help us figure out what went wrong.

I don't, but I'll try to do some recording today and see if I can recreate what happened again.

So you say someone camping at the flag to protect it is bad gameplay such as setting up a teleporter to kill your teammates?

If you're standing there so long without doing anything that you trigger the tertiary AFK kick?

Yes

You are literally not participating in the match

I mean, why do we have National Security? We are not at war... they are doing nothing... right?

Yeah, that's as stupid as what you are saying. Guarding the flag is a very important task, you should not get kicked out like that.

The current timer is too short. Sometimes you can even get kicked while preparing to flank if you take too long. And in the practice range, you literally have to try out the sprays and the menu options right next to a bot or you get kicked out.
01/26/2017 08:23 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

somewhat similarly I was kicked but immediately rejoined only to be kicked immediately again and get the penalty for leaving 2 games and got suspended for 2 hours ( had no prior offenses) Sorry I didnt save video.....I knew I should of.
I had the same problem on Route 66. We were defending and the enemy team had all left, until only 1 of them was left. I sat down on the payload while my team kept exchanging emotes and having fun while the timer ran down. I did not move, but I did turn the camera around a bit. Then, suddently, without any warning, I was kicked "due to inactivity" without any warning. This happened on PS4. I got kicked, did not get a temporary ban but I lost SR while the rest of my team got the win...
01/26/2017 08:28 AMPosted by Wyrmheart

If you're standing there so long without doing anything that you trigger the tertiary AFK kick?

Yes

You are literally not participating in the match

I mean, why do we have National Security? We are not at war... they are doing nothing... right?

Yeah, that's as stupid as what you are saying. Guarding the flag is a very important task, you should not get kicked out like that.

The current timer is too short. Sometimes you can even get kicked while preparing to flank if you take too long. And in the practice range, you literally have to try out the sprays and the menu options right next to a bot or you get kicked out.

If you're sitting back camping the flag when it's clear the other team isn't able to penetrate the rest of your team's effort, to the point you're sitting there long enough to trigger the tertiary AFK kick, there is no reason for you to be there.

I am not saying that guarding the flag is unnecessary. I'm saying read the situation, otherwise the match is already 5v6. It takes multiple minutes of non engagement to trigger that particular kick.
01/26/2017 07:59 AMPosted by Gozer
01/26/2017 07:52 AMPosted by Koringul

Then stop camping for minutes at a time.

It is still up to the player how they want to play a mode like CTF effectively, isn't it?

Yeah and that's why half the games end in a draw.
01/26/2017 08:32 AMPosted by OffsideRush
01/26/2017 07:59 AMPosted by Gozer

It is still up to the player how they want to play a mode like CTF effectively, isn't it?

Yeah and that's why half the games end in a draw.

Exactly.

People want to be able to camp for 5 minutes without actually interacting with the enemy team AND they want to complain about the game drawing too often

Pick one. You can't have both.
01/26/2017 08:11 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Ok, we'll look into the message display.
thank you, perhaps better placement would help. Like the message when someone leaves you can't miss that one.
01/26/2017 08:17 AMPosted by TheEqualizer

It's even easier. If you don't want to be kicked, leave base because that's the shortest AFK timer. When outside move/shoot at least every 25 secs. After about 2 minutes the combat AFK timer will chime in. Just jump off a cliff, rinse and repeat.
01/26/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Sombra
ive never gotten any warning other than a tiny yellow text taht is hard to read

can confirm

I've never once seen any other kind of afk boot warning.
01/26/2017 08:34 AMPosted by Goodgame
01/26/2017 08:11 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Ok, we'll look into the message display.
thank you, perhaps better placement would help. Like the message when someone leaves you can't miss that one.

They could also add a numerical counter when this gets its own message frame. HotS at least tells you that you will be kicked if you don't participate within the next 45 seconds.