Clan/Guild system in Overwatch?

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
Seems like a pretty fun idea. It could improve the quality of the game to many players. Hopefully they'll think about it this year!
Highly Rated
Needs to happen. The Devs original intention was to make Comp a pre-made 6 man team vs. another pre-made 6 man team only. They changed to make it available to smaller groups (down to single que) as a response to community feedback.

This means they know this game is not as good as it should be with disjointed, random teams. And with that in mind, you would think that they would do whatever they could to facilitate regular grouping up between players.

Like a guild/clan system.

I think it would easily be the best single thing they could do to improve the quality of the game.
Highly Rated
Yes, all the yes +1.
We would be *very* excited to work on a system like this.
Highly Rated
02/16/2017 08:34 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
<3

Thanks so much for thinking about it :)

Are you?

Awesome!

Woot!

hmm... that "*very*" seems very suspicious

what are you up to you sneaky dev ?

I would love to see this.
Absolutely 100%. Overwatch was designed with forming a stack with three or more teammates when you queue for competitive in mind; and everyone knows how difficult it is to get enough people from your friends list online. Plus Overwatch is designed much like PlanetSide2 or Guild Wars, even raiding in WoW in that regard; both games pretty much require you join an organized group to get the maximum enjoyment possible out of playing.

EDIT: The Lord Jeff has spoken! He of the holy trinity of Game Company CEOs hath ruled in favor of forming clans in Overwatch!

Oh, one way we can tie this into the lore is if our in-game "Clans" are sub-factions within the universe. Like how we officially have Overwatch, Talon, Vishkar, etc, player-made clans could represent "other" groups.
02/16/2017 08:36 AMPosted by Sultan

hmm... that "*very*" seems very suspicious

what are you up to you sneaky dev ?

Yeah, not like the first time this has come up...
YEE BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
That would be awesome. Game would feel ten times more fun+competitive to play compared what is it now (i mean that even you have full premade and you queue to a match you can be placed against full soloq team which imo is not fair.
Also i want to give my team some epic name... pls make it happen
This would be awesome.. See some clan tags under peoples names and maybe a team logo you can custom make.. Maybe outfits for the team to custom make..

I love you *very* much Jeff <3
jeff kaplan, somehow i dont believe any word of that. if you did, you would have let us known by now that something like this was in the works. i eagerly await a clan/guild system for many months, because playing alone most of the time gets boring. sometimes i find a good team in randoms, and we stick around together for a few matches thx to that option uve built in, but thats its limit.

other than meeting random people we deem worthy of befriending, there is no solid way of meeting groups of people to play with.

if you could actually make a clan/guild system, so you can just say in clan chat "anyone wanna team up?", instead of saying that such an idea would "exite" you, then that would be lovely.
I posted this in a similar thread:

I agree with what others said about team based functionality. They apparently have some thoughts related to it with the upcoming OW League even though we know no details yet. I think the game could blow up (in a good way) if they would incorporate Teams into the seasons. Seasons could then have a greater meaning.

1. Clan(Teams :whatever you want to call them) Set at the beginning(preseason placement), 6 person team with maybe 2 alternates. Individual ranks and team rankings determine your team's placement into a team tier . Maybe 3 tiers Alpha, Beta, Capa.
2. You team Plays the season in your assigned tier. You could build on this with top X teams have a playoffs and then you could have an actual Team Champion for each tier at the end of a season. Not that much different than third party sites that run similar competitions (Old school TWL,CAL or current MGL,etc) BUT built into the game. It could be so much bigger and you keep everything in house. Could have Season champ sprays and other items for placing etc. I think they are missing out on big opportunity

3. Current competitive could remain either for solo que or even as is.

"would" or "are"?