mouse and keyboard players on console

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Highly Rated
dear Blizzard.
love the game, thanks for the hard work.

I would appreciate some clarity/ statement on the use of a mouse and keyboard on console editions of your game.

having played many hours on console (over 1000 hours) it is evident that the majority of high level players are using mouse and keyboard on console. I know this as I have discussed this with many of these players.

I believe this is unfair , however I wish to ask your official stance on the matter.

I have given up and gone to PC.

Lastly if you do consider M&K on console cheating, what is being done to protect console players using a controller.

If it cant be detected, one solution maybe to hold tournaments for console,
I'm sure we would see a large drop off of said " elite players"
No it's not, it's just in your head. They just know how to aim.
They are on top 500, dont worry if you are under this rank.
01/31/2017 07:31 PMPosted by lepistole
one solution maybe to hold tournaments for console

so, the top players who want to play at tournaments have to learn to play with a controller?
Highly Rated
01/31/2017 07:33 PMPosted by AceOfFlames
01/31/2017 07:31 PMPosted by lepistole
one solution maybe to hold tournaments for console

so, the top players who want to play at tournaments have to learn to play with a controller?

He said console tournaments. Not pc tournaments.
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=47049.0

this has over 100,000 reads

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=50099.180

http://cronusmax.com/forums/showthread.php/155305-Overwatch?highlight=overwatch+settings,

over 10, 000 replies

far from a small problem
This is why I'm hesitant to get to masters. Why bother to even get there? So you can get your butt kicked by people who have a clear unfair advantage over you, a controller user?

BS, no thanks!
01/31/2017 09:50 PMPosted by ArtisticGrim
This is why I'm hesitant to get to masters. Why bother to even get there? So you can get your butt kicked by people who have a clear unfair advantage over you, a controller user?

BS, no thanks!

That's how I feel but I'm still going to try to climb. Just wish Blizzard can come out and say if XIM adapters are fair or not..
Ok, let me break it to you OP I don't want to be that guy, but when people use stuff like a Xim4 there is really no way to detect that they are using a M&K, only speculation. Is it unfair? Yes, but not everyone is using M&K. I would assume the highest concentration of M&K users would be in the higher ranks.

Just a little background, yes I own a Xim 4, and in some ways it is cheating but it sure can be fun, I don't think it's fair someone using it in competitive oriented games.
A few people on Xbox have been banned for using mouse and keyboard.
01/31/2017 10:35 PMPosted by Starlight
A few people on Xbox have been banned for using mouse and keyboard.

Yikes
01/31/2017 10:27 PMPosted by Clonedpickle
01/31/2017 09:50 PMPosted by ArtisticGrim

BS, no thanks!

That's how I feel but I'm still going to try to climb. Just wish Blizzard can come out and say if XIM adapters are fair or not..

I remember somone made a thread asking blizzard if using M&K is considered cheating. They said it isn't.....................

Really -_-
Mouse and keyboard on Consoles is still restricted to rules of a joystick, Its actually a disadvantage
As far as I'm aware it's fair. I can't find the post I'll have to dig deeper. They did reply to this question before and said it's fair.
Isn't it Sony and Microsoft's decision to determine whether people are allowed to use devices like this?
* Regardless of what Blizzard wants for their game as a company it doesn't matter. It's a matter of what Sony or Microsoft want on their consoles. A company like Blizzard can ban someone or something for editing their game if it uses "Their" code or software to modify gameplay Ie: using a players outline data to create an aim-hack. This is a clear violation of Blizzards Tos and is completely bannable. M&KB is an entirely different topic however. The reason is because the adapter that allows someone to use a M&KB is taking the signals that would normally get sent through the controller to the console and adding in a third element the Mouse and Keyboard adapter. What it is effectively doing is taking M&KB input signals and converting them into the corresponding controller inputs.

* Those inputs then get sent to the console which then relay the information to the game client you are playing in this case Overwatch. Theoretically you could spam ADADADAD with a controller however under normally circumstances a controller wouldn't be able to do this due to the way analog sticks work and deadzones. It's why you can't go faster then a controller technically could on console even though you have a M&KB you can only do what the base game will allow. Ultimately it's beyond the developers authority to ban something that isn't modifying their software. It may modify the way it is played but legally it isn't touching the game's assets or data itself. As such they lack the legal authority to execute a ban.

* Furthermore besides the initial point Sony is actually developing it's own version of the Xim to sell. So I don't ever see this changing at least on the Sony side of things. As for Microsoft I haven't a clue what they allow or don't as I don't game with their console. Ultimately everyone has their own opinion as what counts as fair or what counts as cheating. However it's up to you to decide how far you want to take your gaming experience if your satisfied with your base controller then more power to you. It's up to the individual whether or not they want to buy any accessories Ie: Xim , Scof controller , Game freak joy-stick extenders , Button press stoppers , Fighting pad. Not the developers.

/End Rant/
I think you can actually buy a mouse and keyboard for less than a new controller costs though.
Even though its an advantage over controllers and yes in some eyes it can be unfair.

However it does it stop from ranking up no it does not.
Can you still compete with them yes but not at top top level but there is still a possibility for you to reach top 500.
Are all characters depended on M+K No. Just learn those that dont depend on M+K and master them. Example like some supports or tanks.
Anyway overall using M+K means nothing because the input system is still clonky and slow on console. You just have to adapt to it.
02/02/2017 02:56 AMPosted by MasterJJ
Mouse and keyboard on Consoles is still restricted to rules of a joystick, Its actually a disadvantage
Keyboard with aim assist IS NOT A DISADVANTAGE