Why do YOU smurf?

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
I have 3 accounts.

Main acct where I play my mains and try hard and duo/trio with my top tier friends 90% of the time

SoloQ account where I play my mains and try hard. This account is consistently 100-200 higher than my main.

Third account where I try new heros I'm no good with, group with B list IRL friends, don't try hard, etc. This acct is ~500 SR below my main and ~600-700 below my soloQ
I have 3 accounts on playstation. A main account which is or was high masters/ probably decayed since I don't play much. A second account to just play with my low elo friends. And my third which I honestly don't play on much which is just to practice new heros. I probably have a combined total of like 30 hours on my two smurf. I rarely use them. It's so boring playing low elos I don't get why people feel good about stomping on bad players :/ I have more fun losing at masters then I do stomping diamonds.
01/29/2017 12:18 PMPosted by MrFuture
So from my understanding, and this is just based off these other 2 posts, but for some people the true reason to smurf is mainly friend based so you can enjoy the game with your not so skilled friends( we all have atleast 1 of those), and not so much as to wreck the players at lower elo which seems to be the main thing smurfs get flack for?

That may be the intention, but the fact is the collateral damage is real for those on the opposite team when the MM system has been tricked and they lose games just so someone can play with their friends.
I will start smurfing because I like to play ranked (Quick Play sucks) and I am not going to use my smurf to !@#$ people in lower tiers, I'm gonna use it to play ranked on it when im not feeling super good. This doesn't mean I'll play ranked when I'm super tired and can't even focus so other people are %^-*ed when they have me on their team, no it means I'm gonna use the smurf when I have a "bad feeling" of starting comp with my main at that moment.
I prefer the term "alternate account" over smurf for myself. I main Lucio and sit mid/high plat but wanted to play DPS at times so I got a new account for two main reasons. One being I didn't trust my skill as DPS to not bring down my rank (as it is, my 2nd is currently low gold). The other is even when I did play Tracer a good amount and did feel comfortable playing her in a comp match people would look at my account and go harass me to go healer since I have a lot of hours as Lucio, Mercy, and Ana compared to Tracer or any other char.
Smurf implies you made a new account with the intent to play with lower skill level players, that's why I myself prefer the term alternate account for myself. I'm a garbage Mercy main who doesn't need to aim at all. I made a new account so I can play other Heroes besides Mercy and work on my aim since I know I have very bad aim. With that being said, me being GM currently as Mercy main, my alt where I play Tank/DPS sometimes I'm around Diamond/Plat.
Because I like making bronze losers mad as hell and I don't actually like the game
I have two smurfs around 3800-3900. I use them to practice dps and get up to par with grandmaster level dps players since I mainly play tanks on this account.
I smurf to either try out new heroes, or to play Mercy because her elo is broken right now, and I don't wanna risk my rank through playing it on my main. I also use it to play with lower ranked friends who can't play with me otherwise. I wouldn't say that it better represents my skill, because I play heroes I am worse at, and I play more casually.
I have a smurf now for playing with my lower rank friends (I'm Platinum atm).
And to practice some game skills with heroes I can't play well with.
For me it's actually self-improving to be able to play all heroes at a good overall skill level. But I'm still far from that, I find the controls for some heroes quite hard on PS4 tbh, but it might be just me because I don't even have this PS4 for a year yet haha
I have an alternate account because I do not get the opportunity to play other roles in my masters games. People look at my account and see I play 99% support and so I am banned from playing any other role. I could just pick the heroes anyway but then people consider that throwing and I would rather win then deal with that situation.

My alt account is nearly 3k which is probably close to what my DPS gameplay is around.
01/29/2017 12:06 PMPosted by MrFuture

If you smurf, please share why. Am I missing something?

I am trying to be a better player and am just curious if having a smurf account actually gives you a competitive edge over people without a smurf.

I started playing an additional account in season 1, but I only started doing this because I wanted to play with my younger brother without potentially hurting my personal rating. I had a lot of fun, and ultimately saw it as a way to avoid the SR anxiety I experience when I play my personal account. Since then, I have certainly smurfed on more accounts than I would like to admit, but I only ever play on them so that I can play with my real life friends. This is the best way to teach people game dynamics first hand, whereas their own aim has to be improved on their own. I only personally own two accounts. This is my solo-only account, whereas my other account was a project I started so that I could have an account solely to play with my younger brother; he is a support main, but I am fortunate to see that he is capable of playing in the upper echelons, as both accounts are now GM.
Put in layman's terms, I only smurf to play with friends or family, and I quit using it as an enjoyment tool (although it can still be quite fun) after the beginning of season 3. But I still to this day use it as a learning tool by revisiting lower tiers to practice what I already know (~low diamond to ~mid-high master are where I 'smurf'). However, I only do this in duo as there is no point for me to play solo at that elo anymore.
To directly answer your question, having an additional account(s) most certainly will give you a competitive edge. You avoid the SR anxiety that you experience with your progression account, and have a great environment to practice your aim and game awareness.

To lay a couple of ground rules, there is a difference between people that play additional accounts, and people that are !@#$%^-s -- to put it bluntly. The moment you purposely lose games to derank, or choose obviously poor choice heroes (ie. widowmaker against winston + genji + tracer), you're no longer self improving unless you have absolute certainty that you can obtain dominance over the enemy team. However, you're free to live by whatever code you want, as no one can truly force you to do anything. Just lots of frowns.
Bought a smurf to play with friends that i couldn't Q with because of too big SR gap. Some times i used it to play comp with different heros that i would normaly play on my main.
I wonder how these smurfs would feel about this being a 'victimless crime' if Bronze players like me could queue for Diamond-GM games just 'for fun.' The result would be the same (forcing unavoidable losses on others)...although I would argue that smurfing is actually worse.

A Bronze playing their heart out would still negatively impact their team at higher tiers, although they may be some nominal use.

A smurf, by necessity, deliberately tanks games and underperforms or outright feeds in order to drop rating and stay in lower tiers.

It's a helpless feeling being paired with one (or more) people who are dead set on delivering you a loss. It's almost equally frustrating to be set againt those same people a few games later who are now playing at their best and stomping your team.

Playing an 'alternate account' to try new heroes is one thing (might I recommend quickpkay?), but tanking games to get (and stay in)a lower tier is ruining the experience of other people.

If it were up to me...the Overwatch team would take a zero tolerance policy to this practice. If I ran around the golf course knocking clubs out of people's hands or kicking their balls of the green, I'd never be allowed back in. If I intentionally threw tournaments to get placed in a lower tier of players, I would be a pariah and universally despised by every other player and thrown out, never to return.

We shouldn't allow the anonymity of the internet to make this kind of selfish behavior acceptable. This community is what we make it.
Someone I'm seeing is brand new to the game, I'm pretty high rank. I play my smurf to help her learn.

Friends can't queue with me because I'm usually in masters or at least 3400, and quick play doesn't offer cohesion unless you're a 6 stack. I use my smurf to play with them in a competitive environment, because I could not otherwise.

In addition to this, I am a Lucio/dva main. My mechanics aren't top tier. If I pick dps, I'll quickly fall to mid diamond or worse. This gives me a chance to practice my off role without damaging my/others ranks.

And last but not least, I wanted to prove to anyone who believes in "elo hell" that it is easy to climb solo queue if you deserve it.
04/16/2017 09:57 AMPosted by Sunstreak
I wonder how these smurfs would feel about this being a 'victimless crime' if Bronze players like me could queue for Diamond-GM games just 'for fun.' The result would be the same (forcing unavoidable losses on others)...although I would argue that smurfing is actually worse.

A Bronze playing their heart out would still negatively impact their team at higher tiers, although they may be some nominal use.

A smurf, by necessity, deliberately tanks games and underperforms or outright feeds in order to drop rating and stay in lower tiers.

It's a helpless feeling being paired with one (or more) people who are dead set on delivering you a loss. It's almost equally frustrating to be set againt those same people a few games later who are now playing at their best and stomping your team.

Playing an 'alternate account' to try new heroes is one thing (might I recommend quickpkay?), but tanking games to get (and stay in)a lower tier is ruining the experience of other people.

If it were up to me...the Overwatch team would take a zero tolerance policy to this practice. If I ran around the golf course knocking clubs out of people's hands or kicking their balls of the green, I'd never be allowed back in. If I intentionally threw tournaments to get placed in a lower tier of players, I would be a pariah and universally despised by every other player and thrown out, never to return.

We shouldn't allow the anonymity of the internet to make this kind of selfish behavior acceptable. This community is what we make it.

No one will ever get placed in bronze if his main is diamond or above, it's impossible.
I made a second account recently as an experiment to see how I'll place (and whether it's any easier to climb) without the baggage of having started this game at launch as a non-FPS player and maining support the whole way through. I have no intention whatsoever of artificially keeping my rank low (and if my hypothesis is correct I should surpass my main account pretty quickly), so I don't really know if this counts as a "smurf."

I have maxed out in mid or high gold every single competitive season, and I know I'm a significantly better player now than I was three months ago, let alone in S1.

So I'm gonna solo queue with the new account and see what happens. Hopefully I'll have some useful data re: the support SR problem from it, too.
01/29/2017 12:44 PMPosted by NemCe
Blizzard thanks all of you for buying the game. Now buy it again!
I use it to guard higher ranks. When I see a mercy main gold season 3 trying to climb into GM, it's my duty to prevent it from happening.
04/16/2017 09:57 AMPosted by Sunstreak

Don't worry there's plenty of !@#$ters in GM+. When they provide solo que it will clear up most of that. People won't throw to get to bronze because why solo que bronze if you're a good player? Stomping bronze or diamonds is the same thing.

Don't worry, there's enough scum in GM to go around. You know that hanzo main in gm with no games played before season 4 isn't new to the game.