Minimap in Overwatch - Good or Bad?

General Discussion
I was gonna post this on reddit but all i see are highlight videos so im just gonna post this here,

Minimap in Overwatch would it be good or bad?
The maps aren't large enough to constitute adding it.
We deliberately avoided adding a minimap. In games like CoD, HotS and LoL the minimap becomes an absolutely crucial, strategic advantage for those who divide their time looking at it. We also wanted to reserve "enemy awareness" moments for certain hero abilities like Widowmaker's ultimate or Hanzo's Sonar Arrow.

We do plan to add a spectator map for a better esports viewing experience. But philosophically we were opposed to adding a minimap to the HUD for gameplay reasons.
Highly Rated
A minimap reaviling the enemy location would be a nice ultimate for a hero
Mini maps will turn the game into chaos where luck will be more important that skills!
A spectator map is just going to get abused on a second monitor.
Would completely destroy flanking heroes like Reaper (who is already pretty underwhelming), Sombra, Tracer, Genji, and really anyone who tries to flank at all.
02/17/2017 09:07 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We deliberately avoided adding a minimap. In games like CoD, HotS and LoL the minimap becomes an absolutely crucial, strategic advantage for those who divide their time looking at it. We also wanted to reserve "enemy awareness" moments for certain hero abilities like Widowmaker's ultimate or Hanzo's Sonar Arrow.

We do plan to add a spectator map for a better esports viewing experience. But philosophically we were opposed to adding a minimap to the HUD for gameplay reasons.

what about seeing our own teammates/teleporter/hacked health packs through walls? anything you guys can share about that?
02/17/2017 09:19 AMPosted by Jessicka

You can't spectate competitive though, so I'm guessing this would just be for the custom games. I watch quite a lot of pro Overwatch and it would be really nice to have a minimap at times
It would probably only be available for custom games, hence why he mentioned Esports, which is only done in custom games
Jeff, I think you should rethink your reasons for not adding a minimap. I think it would greatly improve everyone's awareness and coordination. Especially tanks such as reinhardt who do not have rear view mirrors to see the locations of their team mates.

+1

I agree, I don't think a mini map would fit in with the core of this game/gameplay.
02/17/2017 09:22 AMPosted by BT160919
It would probably only be available for custom games, hence why he mentioned Esports, which is only done in custom games

I would like clarity on this. I don't want it to be a thing to have second accounts to get a map for a tactical advantage.
02/17/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Jessicka
02/17/2017 09:22 AMPosted by BT160919
...It would probably only be available for custom games, hence why he mentioned Esports, which is only done in custom games

I would like clarity on this. I don't want it to be a thing to have second accounts to get a map for a tactical advantage.

You can't spectate comp games.

WHY do you say this EVERY time?

This is true in MOBAs because they show enemies. So don't show them? The only reason I'd want a minimap is to know exactly where my team is.

You exaggerate the minimap every time you talk about it, as if we'd have to check it every second to spot enemies. Well, don't show enemies on it. So simple.

Good to know Jeff,

Is this the same reason why you don't show the heroes icons/health/ult stats on the hud? I find it annoying to have to tab in the middle of gameplay, kind of ruins the immersion
02/17/2017 09:21 AMPosted by BlackZio

what about seeing our own teammates/teleporter/hacked health packs through walls? anything you guys can share about that?

Agree, that would help encourage teamplay and grouping up a lot more, which is namely the most effective way to play this game, but gets forgotten often.

Smart decision. To be honest mini-maps are a distraction to me in general in FPS type games (Except Battlefield, because those maps are HUGE) as it is easy to navigate in them anyways if you know the map.

Nice to know the logic behind the decision and it's solid.
02/17/2017 08:57 AMPosted by Dags
I was gonna post this on reddit but all i see are highlight videos so im just gonna post this here,

Minimap in Overwatch would it be good or bad?

I only want a minimap in OW that displays where allies are but leaves enemies off of the map (even if they are in sight of you/your team)