Is it possible to get out of Gold

Competitive Discussion
I don't think it's actually possible to get out of gold. So I am a tracer main who has top 500 stats on tracer who always communicates and swaps when things go wrong. I know at least 2 heroes in every category but i know 3 in dps. I consistently get gold medals every game and encourage people.

You are probably asking yourself, why can't this player get out of gold? I will tell you. So you know the classic 40 40 20. Well for me it is 0 50 50. If you check my career profile you will see that i have come painfully close to platinum. The reason my 40 40 20 is so fked up is because gold is so mixed it's not even funny. You have the people who are really good and should be in high plat- Diamond.

Then you have the people who are just so bad that they should have never gotten into gold and got boosted into gold. And then gold is prime for throwers and trolls cause they are salty they did not get into diamond in placement.

So what happens with me is as you see 50% of the games I carry because the team is slightly below average. The other 50 is when i got placed with throwers or some of the worst players I have ever seen.

If there is any secret trick I don't know please do respond i am just so desperate you don't even know. Honestly I just don't know what to do at this point.

(btw the reason i was so close because i just would not get 40 sr for a win)
I've personally felt your struggle when I placed low silver and was forced to solo queue all the way from there and am now in low-mid plat. My biggest tip would be to duo queue, as it generally seems to be the most efficient. But with the current ranking system, your best shot is to get lucky with teammates and get on a large win streak (which is what got me from mid gold to plat). Good luck!
02/18/2017 01:32 PMPosted by SpiralK
I don't think it's actually possible to get out of gold. So I am a tracer main who has top 500 stats on tracer who always communicates and swaps when things go wrong. I know at least 2 heroes in every category but i know 3 in dps. I consistently get gold medals every game and encourage people.

You are probably asking yourself, why can't this player get out of gold? I will tell you. So you know the classic 40 40 20. Well for me it is 0 50 50. If you check my career profile you will see that i have come painfully close to platinum. The reason my 40 40 20 is so fked up is because gold is so mixed it's not even funny. You have the people who are really good and should be in high plat- Diamond.

Then you have the people who are just so bad that they should have never gotten into gold and got boosted into gold. And then gold is prime for throwers and trolls cause they are salty they did not get into diamond in placement.

So what happens with me is as you see 50% of the games I carry because the team is slightly below average. The other 50 is when i got placed with throwers or some of the worst players I have ever seen.

If there is any secret trick I don't know please do respond i am just so desperate you don't even know. Honestly I just don't know what to do at this point.

I made it from 1600 (where i was placed s3) to Masters, so yeah, it's very possible. And your top 500 stats are based on where you are placed at this moment, do you actually think your tracer stats would be that good if you were playing against Grand Masters? I think not..
Try carrying with a tank like zarya in brain dead Elo. You can kill a ton of people as tracer but that doesn't stop your teammates from dying. Need to help keep the dummies alive
Yes, all 3 seasons I got from gold to Plat (first 2 seasons I played in my husband account), its hard but not impossible in soloque. Easier with friends who knows how to play.

I tried saying the same, and I was told, "Stop blaming your teammates and GIT GUD". I wish these damn GMs would get forced to support some of the abysmally awful players in gold right now.
primarily solo queued from 2200 placement to 2801 season high. It's possible. Focus on you and being well rounded. My weakest attribute is mechanically I have a ways to go to improve. My strongest asset is understanding how to properly play overall. Counter picks, who is best for what situation, target prioritization, grouping up. My game sense.

It's difficult to self evaluate but you need to be honest with yourself. And get comfortable (notice I didn't say "good") playing multiple heroes from each column. Good luck next season.
I went from low silver to plat solo queue
02/18/2017 01:59 PMPosted by Amanamunos
I went from low silver to plat solo queue

I did the same I went from 1600 to now I'm pretty much floating around 2600 all the time.
I have a friend who mains tracer too, he told me he was trapped at 2700 and no matter how good he would play there was no way to get to diamond so I decided to spectate some of his play and coach him.

First thing I see when he played tracer was doing 180 degree turns to blink back...

I was like, you know you can just press S key and blink while still shooting and looking at the enemy? mind you he was 2700!

My point is, you tell us you are so much better than gold people but probably you are just as good as they are and that's why you can't get out of there.

If you want I can spectate you and coach you and help you with your mistakes and hopefully that way you can get up in ranks.
I don't think it's actually possible to get out of gold.

At some point, you'll get good enough that it's a triviality.

So I am a tracer main who has top 500 stats on tracer who always communicates and swaps when things go wrong.

Numbers, like medals, don't matter. They're pretty to look at, but that's about it. If Overbuff had its way I'd practically be Top 500, but I very well know that's not where I belong.

gold is so mixed it's not even funny.

You'll find that at every tier, at least up to and including Master. People have their off-days, or some times you just end up on a team with 6 Ana mains - good players that get pushed into roles they aren't too comfortable with, which leads to poor team chemistry.

You'll also come across people who got super boosted or deranked because streaks are kind of stupid. They'll find their way back to where they actually belong, but for the time being, they're in your games. On the other hand, you'll find those people in enemy teams as well. In the long run, it'll balance out.

So what happens with me is as you see 50% of the games I carry because the team is slightly below average.

Why can't you carry the remaining 50% of games? You can't realistically do such a thing, but trying to find ways to do so might end up tipping a few more games in your favor and eventually lead you out of Gold.

Overwatch is an extremely chaotic game. It takes very little to change the course of an entire match.

The other 50 is when i got placed with throwers

This is particularly problematic at the moment due to the season ending, and I definitely hope Blizzard does something about it (Jeff said they were working on it, a couple weeks ago). Enemy teams get those people too, though.

The same annoying tip most would give you: focus on improving on yourself regardless of the external factors and give yourself enough time to do so. Trolls and flaws in the MMR system may slow you down, but won't completely stop you from getting out of Gold - nevermind that you can't do anything about them either way, and that they exist at all levels.

I'd also highly recommend adding good players in your friends list and duo queuing here and there. Helps mitigate the amount of trolls you'll get on your team.
02/18/2017 02:08 PMPosted by SuperTeN

First thing I see when he played tracer was doing 180 degree turns to blink back...

I was like, you know you can just press S key and blink while still shooting and looking at the enemy? mind you he was 2700!

><
I climbed out of Plat by 6 stacking for a night for like 6 hours and got into high diamond. If you find 5 other players that are in your situation, it can be extremely easy to climb in 6 stack.
You have 14 hours on Tracer at 48% win rate and your next most used character is McCree at 2 hours. Perhaps you don't swap out enough to counter the enemy Pharah?

A good Tracer would absolutely wreck us Gold level players and have no trouble ranking up. (I feel no shame calling myself a Gold level player, although I have been lucky enough to just break Plat in S2 and S3)

You may well be a Platinum or even Diamond level Tracer, but not good enough to consistantly carry yourself out of Gold. I suspect the main reason for this is that your team composition will not be ideal as you lock onto DPS, and chances are another two of your team mates main DPS will do the same, and even if one changes to another role they may be out of their comfort zone.

Season 3 (mainly solo q) I have mainly filled in to make the team composition work and allow others to play their better characters and roles. It is easy to guess what I end up playing the most - Tank or healer class.

Rein - 35 hours at 55% Win %
Lucio - 33 hours at 63% Win %. I have 2 X the amount of wins vs losses
Usually both I end up with Gold objective time.

I acknowledge I often get carried by my DPS team mates, but I need to play well so they can do their jobs well.
02/18/2017 01:55 PMPosted by BauerPower24

I tried saying the same, and I was told, "Stop blaming your teammates and GIT GUD". I wish these damn GMs would get forced to support some of the abysmally awful players in gold right now.

I carried my way out of Silver. If I can do it, anyone can. Unless of course, you were just meant to be in Gold, which in that case, you will stay in gold :)
Yes. I went from like 2300 SR to 2835 high in a month, get better.

The secret is to try to see how delusional you are that you think you "carry" every time you win and its trolls/throwers/leavers every time you lose.
I had a problem getting out of gold too. What I did was solo queue until I got matched with a team that completely obliterated the opposing team. After the match we all joined as a group and six queued up to plat with a big win streak. I probably got really lucky and this might not always work because 6 queues can be rough but if you get matched with the right people, might not be a bad idea to add them and try to climb together.
There is an incredibly high variability in the matchmaker results, so that's why you see both "OMG CLIMBING IS E Z" and "OMG I CANT CLIMB YO" posts.

Both are happening to people. All I can say is keep playing and focus on getting better. More games is the only statistically viable way to lower your variance and approach your "true" SSR.

Good luck.
After the patch add bastion.