Leaver Penalty and You (Your Guide to Season 4)

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Highly Rated
All instances of a person leaving a competitive mode game, be they voluntary or involuntary, are punished the same

This is because regardless of why/how you leave a game the result for the remaining 5 people on your team are the same

The game also cannot differentiate between someone who loses their internet connectivity (outage, storm, land mine, etc) and someone who rage quits by unplugging their ethernet cable, so they are punished equally

There are 6 leaver penalties that occur in succession to cause a season long ban. It is your responsibility as a player to edumucate yourself as to the levels of punishment:

10 minutes
30 minutes
2 hours
8 hours
24 hours
Season Ban

Each comes with a 50 SR penalty

The game does not track "disconnects" and "purposeful leaves" separately. They are cumulative

This means if you rage quit once, lose your internet 3 times, and lose power twice in a season you get a season long ban.

DO NOT LEAVE BEFORE THE VICTORY/DEFEAT SCREEN.

You may think it's "ridiculous" or that "the game is over", but the fact of the matter is that blizzard decides when that occurs. They have decided that is when the victory/defeat screen appears

You not liking it, you ignoring it, you protesting it does not change it, and you will be punished for leaving if you violate it.

If you do not have a stable internet connection, no matter how unfair it feels, you SHOULD NOT PLAY COMP. If you do not have the self awareness to say "i am ruining the game for 11 people EVERY time my internet goes out" and trigger a season ban, the system is WORKING AS IT IS INTENDED TO

And finally, before you make a thread, before you beg and plead your innocence: You aren't and blizzard does not overturn leaver penalty punishments. Ever. If you don't believe me, go check their customer service twitter.
Gruff but entirely true. Well said.
02/27/2017 07:45 AMPosted by caracc
Gruff but entirely true. Well said.

I find that beating around the bush only exacerbates the self delusion of people who think they are being unfairly punished.
I think there are some intermittent delays before bumping you to the next level. Had zero disconnects in S1 and S2 that I can recall. Swapped to comcast and have had a couple of their infamous internet resets where nothing goes out, it just loses connection for 10 seconds and comes back.

This happened perhaps 3x over all of S3. At no point did I ever exceed the 10 minute ban / 50 SR ding. Of course, I did not roll right back into the comp queue to keep getting DC'd either.

Point is if it happens just once every few weeks, from my experience, you won't climb the punishment ladder.
02/27/2017 07:57 AMPosted by prophet
I think there are some intermittent delays before bumping you to the next level. Had zero disconnects in S1 and S2 that I can recall. Swapped to comcast and have had a couple of their infamous internet resets where nothing goes out, it just loses connection for 10 seconds and comes back.

This happened perhaps 3x over all of S3. At no point did I ever exceed the 10 minute ban / 50 SR ding. Of course, I did not roll right back into the comp queue to keep getting DC'd either.

Point is if it happens just once every few weeks, from my experience, you won't climb the punishment ladder.

There is a reset period, i believe, i'm just uncertain as to what it is, so i didn't want to give false information in that regard. Better safe than sorry imo
02/27/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Koringul
DO NOT LEAVE BEFORE THE VICTORY/DEFEAT SCREEN.

You may think it's "ridiculous" or that "the game is over", but the fact of the matter is that blizzard decides when that occurs. They have decided that is when the victory/defeat screen appears

You not liking it, you ignoring it, you protesting it does not change it, and you will be punished for leaving if you violate it.

If you do not have a stable internet connection, no matter how unfair it feels, you SHOULD NOT PLAY COMP. If you do not have the self awareness to say "i am ruining the game for 11 people EVERY time my internet goes out" and trigger a season ban, the system is WORKING AS IT IS INTENDED TO

This. This. This.
I'm sorry, but this is clearly BS. If my internet goes out, I clearly shouldn't be punished. I did nothing wrong and Blizzard will know it was an accident, so I shouldn't lose any SR.

(/s)

02/27/2017 07:58 AMPosted by Koringul
There is a reset period, i believe, i'm just uncertain as to what it is, so i didn't want to give false information in that regard. Better safe than sorry imo

Its somewhat short. I have an idiot friend who left a few times in an idiotic way. Got a 10 minute suspension both times. I believe the leaves were about a week apart, but I have no actual facts on the matter here.
What's crazy is I know people that leave games way more that what's posted above.. still no season ban =/
02/27/2017 08:06 AMPosted by SmallBanana
What's crazy is I know people that leave games way more that what's posted above.. still no season ban =/

They either aren't leaving as much as you think or are doing it far enough apart that the punishment is resetting

6 leaves is a ban unless you spread them really far apart.

This is also for competitive mode only. This system does not exist in this form for QP
Where did you get this? As I have always said Blizz is way too weak on leavers, this seems a bit more spot on. Also Jeff said they'll never remove SR for leaves because that would put the leaver where they were better than the enemy.

Anyways, I hope there is something like this coming, because right now I can leave 20 times a season and still play till the last day.
02/27/2017 08:10 AMPosted by HydroSkillet
Where did you get this? As I have always said Blizz is way too weak on leavers, this seems a bit more spot on. Also Jeff said they'll never remove SR for leaves because that would put the leaver where they were better than the enemy.

Anyways, I hope there is something like this coming, because right now I can leave 20 times a season and still play till the last day.

This is for competitive only. Not quickplay. The system already exists. It's why you see all the "why was i banned from competitive?!" posts on the forums.

Per Scott Mercer:

"I wanted to take this opportunity to briefly explain some of the systems we have in place regarding leaves and losses in competitive play, and why they're there and why they work the way they do.

When we determine someone has quit a competitive match before the first 30 seconds of game time has completed, we note that the match is now invalid and it collapses after 30 seconds. The person who left receives BOTH a loss and a leave, while everyone else can then leave without penalty or loss.

After the first 30 seconds of game time, how we handle someone leaving a competitive match changes. After determining that someone has quit, we begin a 1 minute timer. The missing player can return during that timer, but if they do not then the remaining team members are now given a choice. Depending on the match situation when the player left, that team might want to play on since they still have a chance to win. If the situation is hopeless, we don't want to force players to stick around while the other team finishes the match. So we allow the rest of the team to quit the match without a leave penalty, but they still do receive a loss.

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don't want to create an awful situation where players who think they're losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to "tactically" leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

To further discourage someone from leaving a match, competitive play has a different leave penalty system than a quick play game. Leaving won't simply reduce your XP gain, instead you can be suspended from playing competitive play. The time a player is suspended time increases on repeated leaves, and in extreme cases a player will earn a ban from competitive play for the current season. Banned players also forfeit any rewards granted at the end of the season."

Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745575028

This is also what the message is that appears when you attempt to leave a competitive game early:

https://gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/overwatch-penalty-700x319.jpg

It's giant and people ignore it, then get upset when they are punished. This message only shows up if you are attempting to leave a competitive match before it is safe to do so
02/27/2017 07:57 AMPosted by prophet

I think I read that there is a system that checks your leaves against how many games you've completed. Sort of like how you can work off the quickplay leaves, but not nearly as generous.

I had terrible internet in season 2 where I had to call the cable company 8 times and have 5 service visits before they corrected the issue, and received the 30 minute ban a few times before it bumped up to the two hour one.
02/27/2017 08:22 AMPosted by escampee

I think I read that there is a system that checks your leaves against how many games you've completed. Sort of like how you can work off the quickplay leaves, but not nearly as generous.

I had terrible internet in season 2 where I had to call the cable company 8 times and have 5 service visits before they corrected the issue, and received the 30 minute ban a few times before it bumped up to the two hour one.

The funny thing is that people LOSE THEIR !@#$ over even the 10 minute ban.

They simply cannot accept that it doesn't matter to the rest of their team that they didn't leave on purpose
For anyone complaining, there really isn't anything reasonable Blizzard can do to detect a legitimate D/C. You can unplug your ethernet cable from the back of the modem to fake a disconnect. It will look pretty much the same as if your internet in your neighborhood went down. I don't think there's any good reason to ask blizzard to diagnose each and every one to be sure.
02/27/2017 08:29 AMPosted by Fecks
For anyone complaining, there really isn't anything reasonable Blizzard can do to detect a legitimate D/C. You can unplug your ethernet cable from the back of the modem to fake a disconnect. It will look pretty much the same as if your internet in your neighborhood went down. I don't think there's any good reason to ask blizzard to diagnose each and every one to be sure.

People don't seem to understand this. Insist it should be easily detectable

Even if it were, you should still be punished. The rest of your team doesn't care why you left, they are a man down regardless.
Penalties should be based on affiliation.
    If you are grouped with the leaver the group will lose the same amount of SR considering the odds that you are grouped together primarily to grief the team, which I have experienced plenty of times. Players which have no affiliation with the group will receive a reduced SR loss.

solo queue players that leave will receive the typical penalties with the rest of the team receiving a reduced penalty.

This way may reduce the amount of griefers in the community and bring players that primarily solo queue up higher ranks.
I actually tested a theory I had on this (yes, I'm a terrible person) last season by leaving at the start so the match would cancel. Basically, you'll get the penalty, but you can work it off by playing about 10 comp matches, then you'll be hit by a 10 minute ban again if you leave, and it won't build up a penalty.
02/27/2017 08:57 AMPosted by KuKu
    If you are grouped with the leaver the group will lose the same amount of SR considering the odds that you are grouped together primarily to grief the team, which I have experienced plenty of times. Players which have no affiliation with the group will receive a reduced SR loss.

solo queue players that leave will receive the typical penalties with the rest of the team receiving a reduced penalty.

This way may reduce the amount of griefers in the community and bring players that primarily solo queue up higher ranks.

No thanks. If my buddy's internet goes out it shouldn't be on me to take one for the team. Everyone needs to be punished equally. This doesn't solve anything, it just makes people MORE toxic towards each other.

That blade cuts both ways. If i'm punished because my group member loses internet, are you prepared to be punished in solo queue when another solo queue player leaves? Because i don't think i should be punished in that scenario if i AM punished in the other you presented.
02/27/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Koringul
02/27/2017 08:57 AMPosted by KuKu

No thanks. If my buddy's internet goes out it shouldn't be on me to take one for the team. Everyone needs to be punished equally. This doesn't solve anything, it just makes people MORE toxic towards each other.

That blade cuts both ways. If i'm punished because my group member loses internet, are you prepared to be punished in solo queue when another solo queue player leaves? Because i don't think i should be punished in that scenario if i AM punished in the other you presented.

From my experiences I found most of the griefers are grouped together and I should have been more specific and say that whole group wouldn't receive the 50 SR leave penalty but only the full SR losing penalty while the players outside your group will receive the reduced SR loss
I also found that solo players that leave are the rage quitters and I did say the rest of the team will receive a reduced SR loss when a solo queue player leaves. Groups do get teamed with solo queue...
02/27/2017 09:11 AMPosted by KuKu
02/27/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Koringul

From my experiences I found most of the griefers are grouped together and I should have been more specific and say that whole group wouldn't receive the 50 SR leave penalty but only the full SR losing penalty while the players outside your group will receive the reduced SR loss
I also found that solo players that leave are the rage quitters and I did say the rest of the team will receive a reduced SR loss when a solo queue player leaves. Groups do get teamed with solo queue...

So you're basing your suggestion on broad generalizations. Understood.

Still a hard pass for me despite that sound reasoning.