Please, fix the colorblind mode.

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
Hello, I'm Kolorblind. I'm a colorblind Bastion player and currently ranked #1 in competitive, and was the first Bastion only account to reach top 500 with Solo Q.

I'm here to beg for a fix for the colorblind mode in this game, it's awful.

I have protonopia, which means I can't see red hardly at all- it looks gray for me. Take a second to imagine how hard this game would be if the enemies didn't have outlines at all, just dark characters against a dark background.

It'd kind of suck wouldn't it? That's how it is for me, and it sucks.

"But Kolor, this game already has colorblind support! It's in the video options, Blizzard thought of everything!" Yes, I know, but those options suck. Why do they suck? Because they're filters, not colorblind modes.

Here's what a good colorblind mode would do, it would change the colors of enemies outlines, UI effects, and in game effects such as Mei's ice wall, Winston's bubble, and so on.

That would be radical, and would let me play the game correctly without walking past a widow just standing against a wall because I couldn't see her.

What does the colorblind mode in this game do? It's a filter, so it changes every single color on your screen do a different color- for example, one of the colorblind modes it called the Tritanopia mode, in theory, it makes the bad guys purple, and makes the good guys a vivid green; perfect, right?

If only; because it doesn't just change the enemies to purple, it changes all red in the ENTIRE GAME to purple- meaning outlines, UI, and the entire map. Everything. It also changes all blue to green, so the game looks like a totally radical acid trip.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/chG6kb1.jpg (credit to /u/minisusoend)

Using this mode is very disorianting and chatotic, I've used it for a few months just because using the normal mode is legit impossible for me because I can't see red. I'm forced to play like this, and I hate it. I want to see the game like it should be, I want to see the green grass and blue skies and radical skins without it being %^-*ed up by all this purple and green.

Not to mention it means I still have trouble because yeah, the bad guys are purple, but so is everything else in the map- so it's still hard as to see them.

Blizzard, you're OW development team is amazing at fixing bugs, patching up, and getting updates out all the time, so why have you ignored the colorblind support since launch?

I'm begging you, please at least tell us why you refuse to fix it.

~Kolorblind
Highly Rated
I have tritanopia, and this type of colorblindness "filter" that is in-game currently is pretty much useless. For me, it washes everything into the same colors even worse than before, eliminating any contrast or shadows. Making everything brighter, and the same two colors, is not a proper adjustment... They should test this on people who are actually colorblind! Kolorblind^^ is 100% correct in his analysis of the problem.
Highly Rated
I didn't believe you were legit till I actually looked at your account, gg on that top 500 bastion, you deserve it :). But seriously jeff, let's get this fixed, these guys deserve bether colorblind modes!!!!
i have to agree, i'm colorblind as well and the modes don't do anything for me whatsoever it really does need a rework

thanks for bringing this up my dude
Highly Rated
02/22/2017 10:40 PMPosted by ProjectAKo
Just stop being colorblind. Don't see the problem.
Yea, because being genetically born with colourblindness is a choice. Even if you have normal vision, you're blind to this topic.
I can't believe their colorblind modes dont work for this :( Im sorry and good luck.
Bumparoo
02/22/2017 10:40 PMPosted by ProjectAKo
Just stop being colorblind. Don't see the problem.

How bout you stop existing m8

Blizzard it'd be nice if you stopped ignoring legitimate concerns like this
I don't want to be a here but there are millions of disabilities in this world blizzard can't cater to everyone and just now there are people who has arachnophobia and don't want spider mech hero wtf
Important stuff, here. Definitely needs a better solution. I'd like to see this become a significant priority!

02/22/2017 11:42 PMPosted by NateBeruk
I don't want to be a here but there are millions of disabilities in this world blizzard can't cater to everyone and just now there are people who has arachnophobia and don't want spider mech hero wtf

Just because you can't help every single person in the world doesn't mean you should never help out anyone ever.
A few weeks ago when that bug existed that reset settings to their default after round 2, I found myself in a 6-man group. This meant all my teammates were shown as green, and none of them as blue. Well, as luck would have it, that setting kept resetting itself and wound't re-enable.

I couldn't see squat. The best I could do was shoot anything that moved. I'm sure for the other team it must have been hilarious, this Zenyatta trying to kill the ally Roadhog and Mercy, but yeah.

The colours they've chosen are absolutely horrible. The colourblind modes aren't much better :/
I second, third, and fourth this. I'm not colorblind myself, but I'd like to play with people that can at least see properly. It's not fair to them if they're disoriented.
Man... You must really hate yourself to main Bastion.

On topic.
I'm kinda surprised that Blizzard hasnt fixed this, considered with are talking about a multi-million company, fixing something so simple as the colorblind modes shouldnt take more than a week or so.
I got hardcore protanopia, maybe if Blizzard makes it not suck here they can fix it in WoW too
My son is colorblind, please fix this.
02/22/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Kolorblind
I'm going to post this once every few days because I'm very, very desperate for an answer from Blizzard.

Hello, I'm Kolorblind. I'm a colorblind Bastion player and currently ranked #1 in competitive, and was the first Bastion only account to reach top 500 with Solo Q.

I'm here to beg for a fix for the colorblind mode in this game, it's awful.

I have protonopia, which means I can't see red hardly at all- it looks gray for me. Take a second to imagine how hard this game would be if the enemies didn't have outlines at all, just dark characters against a dark background.

It'd kind of suck wouldn't it? That's how it is for me, and it !@#$ing sucks.

"But Kolor, this game already has colorblind support! It's in the video options, Blizzard thought of everything!" Yes, I know, but those options %^-*ing suck. Why do they suck? Because they're filters, not colorblind modes.

Here's what a good colorblind mode would do, it would change the colors of enemies outlines, UI effects, and in game effects such as Mei's ice wall, Winston's bubble, and so on.

That would be radical, and would let me play the game correctly without walking past a widow just standing against a wall because I couldn't see her.

What does the colorblind mode in this game do? It's a filter, so it changes every single color on your screen do a different color- for example, one of the colorblind modes it called the Tritanopia mode, in theory, it makes the bad guys purple, and makes the good guys a vivid green; perfect, right?

If only; because it doesn't just change the enemies to purple, it changes all red in the ENTIRE GAME to purple- meaning outlines, UI, and the entire !@#$ing map. Everything. It also changes all blue to green, so the game looks like a totally radical acid trip.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/chG6kb1.jpg (credit to /u/minisusoend)

Using this mode is very disorianting and chatotic, I've used it for a few months just because using the normal mode is legit impossible for me because I can't see red. I'm forced to play like this, and I hate it. I want to see the game like it should be, I want to see the green grass and blue skies and radical skins without it being %^-*ed up by all this purple and green.

Not to mention it means I still have trouble because yeah, the bad guys are purple, but so is everything else in the map- so it's still hard as !@#$ to see them.

Blizzard, you're OW development team is %^-*ing amazing at fixing bugs, patching up !@#$, and getting updates out all the time, so why have you ignored the colorblind support since launch?

I'm begging you, please at least tell us why you refuse to fix it.

~Kolorblind

I read this post a couple days back, and dude, I think Blizzard needs to check this out. Good luck in the future and I hope you get your colourblind mode fixed. Best of Luck.
Wow that looks so up. How is all that purple and green even acceptable? Obviously when they set it up they didn't have anyone with color blindness like yours test it out
I, too, have colour blindness and can contribute that the colour blind filters are garbage. I have Tritanopia, and that filter was the hardest one to gain any sense of clarity with! I had marginal success with the protonopia filter, but seriously, Blizzard. If the filters are going to be there, we shouldn't be forced to compromise with which one is the least offensive. A full filter isn't even necessary (though nifty.) Being able to customize the UI elements that influence the colour of Allie and enemy indicators, outlines, health bars etc. Would be tremendously helpful.
I'm not colorblind, but I hope it'll get fixed. Blizzard pls. I have a funny story about colorblindness to tell though :

During my military service, one day I was making a big "warmap" (like, 4x4 meters at least) with a buddy. We were using coloured marker pens to draw on it (including red and green).
I asked my comrade to give me the green pen, he gave me the red one. "No, the green one please!" - "I just gave it to you !" - "No you didn't." "Oh yeah sorry. FYI I'm colorblind."

Luckily he didn't mess up our nice map and the captain was happy with what we did.

the end