This has been an issue for months...

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
...and nothing is being done about it.

EDIT: Something is being done.

Every single time I come across posts like these I die a little bit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5uc8fc/most_of_the_top_500s_arent_actually_meant_to_be/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Overwatch

We have already witnessed how the South Korean community has to deal with PC Bangs cheating. I think it is already long past the time to shed light on something that is starting to become common in the South American community.

Without further ado let's get straight to the point:

What exactly is happening here!?!?
http://imgur.com/a/4fod0
http://imgur.com/a/bVWOk
http://imgur.com/a/dEpUf
http://imgur.com/a/fm9e7
http://imgur.com/a/TtNqL

• Reddit:
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5rsffd/this_is_the_actual_mmr_system_on_south_american/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5ovdb9/blizzard_please/
    https://np.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5kwm6k/a_tribute_to_otario_a_player_who_saved_our_team/
    https://np.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5lkq6y/thanks_for_the_balanced_matchmaking_blizzard/

So what is actually happening?

Over the period of almost 2 competitive season a notorious 6 man stack has been exploiting competitive matchmaking intentionally by playing during low peak hours usually going from 2:00 AM to 8:00 AM, in order to farm win streaks. Consequently they manage to achieve top 500 with minimum effort while having the expected behavior of a gold-platinum competitive player.

So what could possibly be done about it:

• Exhibit A:
  • Ban these 6 users. The development team has access to internal data, I'm sure they will be able to tell for how long these six players were exploiting the competitive matchmaker without fear of repercussions. I'm also completely certain that the South American Overwatch community will not be missing them. The development team from Diablo 3 took this approach when a gamebreaking exploit (Red Soul Shard exploit) was discovered which allowed players to easily exploit their way up to the top of the leaderboards.
    However... this can be by far the most controversial solution given that the matchmaking system can be held responsible.

• Exhibit B:
  • Establish a threshold on competitive matchmaking to prevent matches with a 1000 SR gap. This should probably be the most straightforward solution. Although those six users will continue trying to find a workaround if they are left unchecked.

• Exhibit C:
  • Allow underdog players to vote if they want to participate a match with a huge skill gap difference. This is not the best solution, but a least it will prevent the frustration of being forced on one sided matches just to lose 1 or 2 SR.

• Exhibit D: (suggested by Audaylion)
  • Lower the CP rewards for high ranked players.
    Works on paper. However these 6 stacks farm by going on winning streaks against low SR players and climbing slowly, so this won't solve the main issue.

• Exhibit E: (suggested by Pupsik)
  • Remove win streaks.
    Same deal as previous solution. Works on paper, but won't stop those players from climbing 1 SR after stomping bronzes-silvers in a worst case scenario.

• Exhibit F:
  • Don't ban/restrict these 6 players, but instead force them to play against North Americans on NA servers during low peak hours. This won't give the developer team bad PR for banning them and I'm pretty sure the high SR North American community will gladly teach these guys how to play competitively. Making them taste their own medicine seems to be by far the best solution.

• Exhibit G: (suggested by multiple users)
  • Add a solo queue to the competitive matchmaker. Nuff said.

As you can see this has been an issue for months. And we have yet to receive an official reply to acknowledge this situation.

Oh and I almost forgot...
    You might be wondering:
    I'm a North American Overwatch player, why should I care about six players that have been exploiting competitive matchmaking if that doesn't affect me?

Answer:
    Well... South America and North America share leaderboards so there is that.

Might as well mention that one of the players taking part on this exploit represented Brazil in the Overwatch World Cup. What a shameful display.

• Tl:dr
  • The same 6 man stack has been exploiting matchmaking for months during low peak hours (2:00 AM - 8:00 AM) to stomp solo queuers and cheat their way up Top 500 without repercussions FOR MONTHS. And yet... no one at Blizzard seems to be aware of this issue.

EDIT: Jeff responded! Now let's hope competitive matchmaking does not get exploited further from the next season on.
    EDIT 2: Added more possible solutions suggested by others.
    Exhibit D.
    Lower the CP rewards for high ranked players.
    02/16/2017 10:08 AMPosted by Audaylon
    Exhibit D.
    Lower the CP rewards for high ranked players.

Works as well, however the method they use to farm SR is by going on winning streaks unfortunately :(

Yes they do win a very small amount of SR after every stomp. But they never lose a single match. A few matches later the SR winning streak boost kicks in and they can farm SR without effort.
    Exhibit E.
    Remove win streaks
    I mean.. I get that it's cheap, but you can't ban them for playing during times when no one else is on but lower levels and solo queues.
    That's why they need to either REWORK Competitive or do solo and grouped queues. that's why season 3 is realy bad right now.

Edit: i wouldn't mind waiting 2 or 3 weeks after season 3 so that they can rework the Ranking system, it's something that has been overlooked for way too long.
    02/16/2017 10:15 AMPosted by LyraTheDrunk
    I mean.. I get that it's cheap, but you can't ban them for playing during times when no one else is on but lower levels and solo queues.

Fair argument.
    However, judging by the amount of users they affected and also by the fact that they were conscious that they were exploiting the matchmaking system on multiple occasions to their advantage, I still think that is enough reason to warrant some action going by Blizzard standards on abusing exploits.

They're exploiting the matchmaking system, game exploits are bannable offenses last I checked.
    02/16/2017 10:42 AMPosted by BadHorse

They're exploiting the matchmaking system, game exploits are bannable offenses last I checked.

Can't ban top players if they are bringing in that esport cash...
    ...removing win streaks or lowering CP rewards for higher ranked players wouldn't do anything. Please.

The players just need to be banned or penalized somehow and the matchmaking system needs to force them to wait for a more even match up, even if it takes 1+ hours.
    02/16/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Floridaman

Are these specific players bringing in any of that esport cash though?
    02/16/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Floridaman
    <span class="truncated">...</span>

Gonna have to stop you right there:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5uc8fc/most_of_the_top_500s_arent_actually_meant_to_be/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Overwatch

How can you be a top esport player if all you know is stomping gold and platinum solo queuers?

Also spoiler, none of these 6 players are bringing cash to Blizzard as far as I've researched. They are just consciously exploiting the game under the radar, at the cost of pretty much every average SR gold-platinum players unfortunate enough to be paired against them.
    02/16/2017 10:45 AMPosted by ǶRa
    ...removing win streaks or lowering CP rewards for higher ranked players wouldn't do anything. Please.

The players just need to be banned or penalized somehow and the matchmaking system needs to force them to wait for a more even match up, even if it takes 1+ hours.

It's kind of funny that the people who try hard to get to the lowest rank possible will have hours long queue times, but people exploiting to get top 500 don't.
    You can't prove that these people aren't playing in the only free time they have available; and it just so happens to be at hours where they get free wins. I am all for banning people for hacking and using real exploits, but this seems pretty thin for a bannable offense. Even if they are doing this intentionally, it's lazy to just ban them instead of making Blizzard fix a broken system.
    02/16/2017 10:52 AMPosted by KingKami
    You can't prove that these people aren't playing in the only free time they have available; and it just so happens to be at hours where they get free wins. I am all for banning people for hacking and using real exploits, but this seems pretty thin for a bannable offense. Even if they are doing this intentionally, it's lazy to just ban them instead of making Blizzard fix a broken system.

This is a video game, not a court of law, you don't need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone's exploiting if it's obvious that they're exploiting. All the same, the system does need to be fixed.
    Time-of-day queue abuse has always been a problem with automated matchmakers. Most people ignore it on the belief that it eventually levels out (which is wrong), or that the effect is not big enough to matter (also wrong).

I thank you for bringing attention to this issue!
    02/16/2017 10:52 AMPosted by KingKami

I'm pretty sure internal logs can prove otherwise. Hell... they even used them to tell who was exploiting the Mei wall glitch on 3v3. I'm certain they can tell if there was a pattern of exploiting behavior on this specific 6 man stack.

In any case, under no circumstances should even be possible for you to be forced into feeding a group exploiting the current matchmaking system to begin with.

...if you don't play during low peak hours.

Then again, going straight towards banning them can be a controversial solution given that the matchmaking system can be held responsible unfortunately.
    I completely agree that the matchmaking system needs to be fixed, but banning them just because of the time of day they play is ridiculous... All Blizz needs to do is make it so that once the SR gap is big enough the system will never actually make the match. If they have to wait 2hrs before finding a match (that is a fair fight causing them to potentially lose their streak anyway) maybe they will stop playing at off hours.
    02/16/2017 11:10 AMPosted by Ajax
    I completely agree that the matchmaking system needs to be fixed, but banning them just because of the time of day they play is ridiculous... All Blizz needs to do is make it so that once the SR gap is big enough the system will never actually make the match. If they have to wait 2hrs before finding a match (that is a fair fight causing them to potentially lose their streak anyway) maybe they will stop playing at off hours.

If it was an isolated case then yes it would be ridiculous.
    However, I highly encourage you to check Reddit and see for yourself how most the South American community feels about it. Make to sure to also check how old was the first post where this 6 man group was brought to attention.

I'm fairly certain no one from SA will miss them if they got banned at least from competitive.
    Guess I'll provide another solution since this deserves more attention. I'm sure no one is willing to see more posts on Reddit regarding the same 6 stack again.

• Exibit F
  • Don't ban these 6 players, but instead force them to play against North Americans on NA servers during low peak hours. Even Seagull is aware of this 6 man stack and even mentioned on a stream to be interested in teaching those guys a lesson.
    If no one on the development team wants to take action at least allow the North American community to do something.