KILLING PEOPLE IS MANDATORY. Even if you just want to chill.

General Discussion
03/08/2017 04:08 PMPosted by Arena25
03/08/2017 04:05 PMPosted by Wonderful

BEHOLD, THIS COMMENT!

Says the dude who is probably an XP leech...

And who posts from his alt account, probably...

As I said, if you want to roleplay, go play WoW. If you can't handle the heat of combat, stay out of the kitchen called Overwatch.

Careful now, you might hurt my feelings!

Honestly though, if chill/friendly servers are the bane of your existence then simply ignore them. I pretty much burned myself out on fighting for a while, and am finding being able to talk about the game and hang around with people more fun for the time being.

Also, what gave you the notion that I would use an alt account? I'm interested.
03/08/2017 04:12 PMPosted by Wonderful

As I said, if you want to roleplay, go play WoW. If you can't handle the heat of combat, stay out of the kitchen called Overwatch.

Careful now, you might hurt my feelings!

Honestly though, if chill/friendly servers are the bane of your existence then simply ignore them. I pretty much burned myself out on fighting for a while, and am finding being able to talk about the game and hang around with people more fun for the time being.

Also, what gave you the notion that I would use an alt account? I'm interested.

Stop it me! They will find out our secret!
03/08/2017 04:11 PMPosted by StormyBear
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Lol no alt account. Also I haven't played since the new years event. I came to check the forums for Orisa news. Saw the post from Jeff and looked into it. I see no reason for the afk kick, exp leeching isn't necessary as me and my friends use to farm loot boxes in vs ai. We could relax and talk while killing. Sometimes we did custom games of hide and seek just us. I haven't been on OW in forever but still I wanted to come back. I wouldn't care about EXP farming.

I was talking to Wonderful, mate...but either way, if you can't handle the combat, stay out of Overwatch.

Edit: Wonderful, you only have 112 posts here, mate...usually, unless you have a main account like me, a 112 post account is usually an alt account.
For as long as there have been chat rooms, there have been people wanting to customize them and make them more interesting. Why not an Overwatch themed chat room?
For longer than there has been video games, people have explored characters in alternate ways, such as Fan Art, Roleplaying, and fan fiction. Why not roleplay with these Blizzard provided tools?

These things are OK, even if they don't fit my interests. There is a concern about farming XP, but thankfully there is an easy answer! We don't need to shut these people down just because they would like to explore something differently then we would like. Toggleable XP. Tie bans and AFK timer to whether XP is on or off.

Main discussion here:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753607004
03/08/2017 04:13 PMPosted by Arena25
03/08/2017 04:11 PMPosted by StormyBear
Lol no alt account. Also I haven't played since the new years event. I came to check the forums for Orisa news. Saw the post from Jeff and looked into it. I see no reason for the afk kick, exp leeching isn't necessary as me and my friends use to farm loot boxes in vs ai. We could relax and talk while killing. Sometimes we did custom games of hide and seek just us. I haven't been on OW in forever but still I wanted to come back. I wouldn't care about EXP farming.

I was talking to Wonderful, mate...but either way, if you can't handle the combat, stay out of Overwatch.

But I enjoy Mercy. Who is a healer. So healers are bad?
03/08/2017 04:13 PMPosted by Dementid
For as long as there have been chat rooms, there have been people wanting to customize them and make them more interesting. Why not an Overwatch themed chat room?
For longer than there has been video games, people have explored characters in alternate ways, such as Fan Art, Roleplaying, and fan fiction. Why not roleplay with these Blizzard provided tools?

These things are OK, even if they don't fit my interests. There is a concern about farming XP, but thankfully there is an easy answer! We don't need to shut these people down just because they would like to explore something differently then we would like. Toggleable XP. Tie bans and AFK timer to whether XP is on or off.

Main discussion here:

How about you stop linking to your thread, and stop posting from your alt account and start claiming responsibility.

Your spamming of your thread advertisement annoys me, mate...you're lucky I'm not reporting you for spamming or advertising...
They don't colloquially call the FPS genre 'murder simulators' at random, you know.

Now get to killing, there's problems to solve!

Dude, have you ever played on any FPS with a community server browser (or even custom games) long-term? Non-combat servers are a staple in FPS game user communities. Even though I never visited them, there are plenty of chill out/roleplay/custom game modes in TF2 that don't require anyone to kill or be killed. Same with every other game I've played, like Halo: Custom Edition, Halo 2 custom games, or HL2:DM or GMod or Arma. There's literally a game mode in Arma III called Altis Life where the entire server is a community with jobs, money, houses, etc. and those servers can go days without anyone getting killed. Chill servers are a staple of any long-term FPS community.

I agree with the post that said, just allow server operators to turn off EXP mode.

If you can't handle the heat of combat, stay out of the kitchen called Overwatch.

Dude that's edgy as hell. "Heat of combat..."
Man this is a video game, the most hardcore thing you do is click your mouse.

And stop calling some dude out for having an "alt account" based on how much he posts. The majority of the Overwatch community doesn't even post on the forums.
03/08/2017 04:17 PMPosted by Pouncey
They don't colloquially call the FPS genre 'murder simulators' at random, you know.

Now get to killing, there's problems to solve!

Mercy. is a healer. YOU HEAL PEOPLE.
03/08/2017 04:14 PMPosted by StormyBear
03/08/2017 04:13 PMPosted by Arena25

The purpose of healers in Overwatch is to let your teammates do more killing.

That's why you don't evacuate the wounded to a medical hospital, instead you fix them up right on the spot so they don't need to find cover and can just kill more. : D

If medics in real life worked like healers in Overwatch, they would be top-priority targets and no one would question the ethics of the decision to kill a medic. If you didn't, you could never win a battle, much less a war.
03/08/2017 03:55 PMPosted by SneakySquid
Habbo hotel anyone

Habbo Hotel servers are where 4chan kids go to teamkill everyone while being really edgy, that is the opposite of a tea party server.

If you wanted tea party maps you could've said trade_ or mlp_ servers.
03/08/2017 04:20 PMPosted by Pouncey
03/08/2017 04:14 PMPosted by StormyBear

That's why you don't evacuate the wounded to a medical hospital, instead you fix them up right on the spot so they don't need to find cover and can just kill more. : D

If medics in real life worked like healers in Overwatch, they would be top-priority targets and no one would question the ethics of the decision to kill a medic. If you didn't, you could never win a battle, much less a war.

I understand, but I play Battlefiend 1 sometimes with my boyfriend, I didn't like killing, mostly because it felt off for me personally. I did kill when necessary but mostly play medic and use non lethal weapons. As close as I can get. Its just a playstyle. While overwatch is about shooting, its very much about protecting and saving too.
It seems detrimental to several legitimate game modes that people might want to try, hide and seek for instance. There seems to be no point to the afk timer from our perspective, so its probably just saving blizzard money.
03/08/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Elemeno
Jeff + the OW team,
I understand that you changed the custom server mode to no longer gain XP from skirmishes, and that makes perfect sense. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure why that feature went live.
Skirmish mode to me was more of a screwing around lounge than anything else, and gaining XP from doing nothing was just silly.
What I do not understand however, is the installation of the AFK timer for custom skirmish games. If the players are no longer receiving XP, and now the game mode can no longer be exploited, why also put on the AFK timer?
After all, it IS a custom game, and as such, the game master may have rules that don't necessarily revolve around killing each other.
I guess what it boils down to - Is killing people a REQUIREMENT in OW?

Maybe I'm missing something and someone can chime in instead of just casual downvoting and calling me a noob. Maybe their are other ways to exploit this WITHOUT having an AFK timer and I just don't know them.
And yes, I understand that their are other ways to talk to each other and not have a "tea party" server, but honestly, who cares if I have a "tea party" server? Can't I drink tea, socialize, not get XP and just NOT have an AFK timer enabled?

Yeah, if there's zero XP for Skirmish (there shouldn't be) I do not see the point of AFK timer for Skirmish.

I mean, I will never, ever, ever join any of those absolutely ridiculous "high school RP" games crap (I mean seriously people? grow the eff up. jesus bloody christ)......

But w/e, if there's no exploit with it involved, and people want to play 'second life' in OW cause their first life sucks that bad, bloody let em, right?

Seems like removing XP from Skirmish solves that particular problem. Now they're just using simple tricks to try and get around AFK on "real modes" instead anyways.

If you can come up with a good detection system for AFK for those regular modes, and leave no XP on skirmish, I think that's the best solution... otherwise, honestly I won't complain 1 lick about losing XP on custom matches. Frankly the damned list is too cluttered with garbage to care about looking for anything worthwhile as it is.
03/08/2017 04:28 PMPosted by HolyMonkey
It seems detrimental to several legitimate game modes that people might want to try, hide and seek for instance. There seems to be no point to the afk timer from our perspective, so its probably just saving blizzard money.

Should you get XP for playing "hide and seek" though?

I mean really?

I think they should just have some kind of XP earned threshhold requirement to reward any XP at end of match.

Seems like that might fix the issue pretty handily.
03/08/2017 04:16 PMPosted by Arena25
03/08/2017 04:13 PMPosted by Dementid

Main discussion here:

How about you stop linking to your thread, and stop posting from your alt account and start claiming responsibility.

Your spamming of your thread advertisement annoys me, mate...you're lucky I'm not reporting you for spamming or advertising...

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend. I figured that by organizing thoughts on that change, it may lead to a better way for the developers to see thoughts on the matter. I'm not sure what you mean about an alt account though? Again, a million apologies if I've inconvenienced you or otherwise damaged your day, my intentions were only those of benevolence.

Perhaps I can offer you this olive branch of peace in the form of a delightful smiley. :D
03/08/2017 04:23 PMPosted by StormyBear
03/08/2017 04:20 PMPosted by Pouncey

I understand, but I play Battlefiend 1 sometimes with my boyfriend, I didn't like killing, mostly because it felt off for me personally. I did kill when necessary but mostly play medic and use non lethal weapons. As close as I can get. Its just a playstyle. While overwatch is about shooting, its very much about protecting and saving too.

Hm.

Well, I dunno.

Somehow, killing humans always felt right in video games.
It's not good for the game from a dev stand point. It skews the game data that the devs use for changes. Things like pickrate, avg match time, avg time on a specific game type, etc. They can't ignore just the "lounge" servers. It would be too time consuming to pick those apart. They would have to ignore/separate custom games as a whole, which is unfair for the people who are creative/serious with their custom games.

I don't think people understand just how many statistics the dev team looks at and uses. Neither do they understand that it DOES indirectly hurt other players in the long run. If you're not going to play the game as intended, don't play the game.
03/08/2017 04:41 PMPosted by WackoJack
It's not good for the game from a dev stand point. It skews the game data that the devs use for changes. Things like pickrate, avg match time, avg time on a specific game type, etc. They can't ignore just the "lounge" servers. It would be too time consuming to pick those apart. They would have to ignore/separate custom games as a whole, which is unfair for the people who are creative/serious with their custom games.

I don't think people understand just how many statistics the dev team looks at and uses. Neither do they understand that it DOES indirectly hurt other players in the long run. If you're not going to play the game as intended, don't play the game.

I think the idea of an XP toggle for Custom Games would resolve part of this. People could still play games in unintended ways, and Blizzard could ignore games that turn off XP. Thoughts?
03/08/2017 04:23 PMPosted by StormyBear
but I play Battlefiend 1 sometimes with my boyfriend, I didn't like killing, mostly because it felt off for me personally.

This is confusing to me... it's just a game. You're not actually killing people, it's just a high tech version of capturing pawns in chess or w/e.