What if in Mystery Heroes you keep your ultimate charge?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Highly Rated
Mystery Heroes is the standout brawl. It's a fun game mode that indirectly forces you to play outside of your comfort zone. I've learned so many little things naturally through Mystery Heroes that I would not have discovered otherwise while playing vanilla Quick Play with my usual line-up of heroes.

That being said, the only problem I've noticed is that due to losing your whole ultimate charge upon death and starting back at 0% with a random hero, you now need to adopt a much more reserved play style. No other game mode has an incentive to play conservatively, so why should this? Overwatch is built on coordination and team momentum. The ultimate abilities are the X-factors within these equations. If you were able to keep your ultimate ability charge, Mystery Heroes would be a much better experience for everyone involved.

I consider Mystery Heroes as much of a learning game mode as it is a wildly unpredictable one. By hindering the amount of ultimate abilities in this game mode, you have now hindered the player's opportunity to both work with and work around random ultimate abilities being thrown their way.

This also rewards efficient players for earning their ultimate ability charge and has one ready for them upon respawn with a random hero.

The one caveat I would leave is that if a player suicides (does not die due to another player), they now must start back at 0%. This would cease players who have earned 100% charge from killing themselves continually until they respawn as a character they desired.

I really enjoy Mystery Heroes, and I believe this would be a very welcomed change to the game mode. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.
I think one of the best skills to come from Mystery Heroes is the importance of surviving. The problem with the mode is that people just rush in to try their new characters and die quickly. I fear that would be even more rampant if ult charges could be kept (especially since a character like Sombra chargest up so fast in contrast to .e.g, a Zarya).

To me, the only real problem with Mystery Heroes is hero stacking. That makes it completely unfun.
Your idea or the alternative really, really needs to happen. Losing your ult charge makes this game mode beyond unfun if you're losing.

The only other valid alternative I've heard:
Each ult uses the same system to accrue charge, so simply keep your ult "point total" between hero spawns. Edit - More information on that here: http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Ultimate_Meter

I personally don't really care which method gets used, I just want this glaring moment of dev derp resolved.
The worst one is having your ult at full, dying, and then getting the same hero at 0%.

/sadtrombone
03/13/2017 12:14 PMPosted by Whyst
To me, the only real problem with Mystery Heroes is hero stacking. That makes it completely unfun.
yeah i hate this too, especially when it's the defending team somehow gets super lucky and ends up with like 2 Torbs, Bastion, and 3 anas (odd how often this happens) while your team, the attackers, end up with like a Sombra, Tracer, Torb, Genji, Widowmaker and a Mercy.

i think though, that as long as you get lucky enough to get the same hero between spawns then yes the Ult should stay the same as it was (i have had almost full ult charge, died, and spawned as same hero only to have no ult happen so much in that mode).
I think people should be rewarded for surviving on their character long enough to get ulti.
I'm against it. It would be abused.

Imagine a Mccree or Widow earning their Ult then killing theirselves until they get a character with a better Ult.

Honestly, I like the idea of relying less on Ulta anyways.
03/13/2017 12:22 PMPosted by nemestrinus
03/13/2017 12:14 PMPosted by Whyst
yeah i hate this too, especially when it's the defending team somehow gets super lucky and ends up with like 2 Torbs, Bastion, and 3 anas (odd how often this happens) while your team, the attackers, end up with like a Sombra, Tracer, Torb, Genji, Widowmaker and a Mercy.

i think though, that as long as you get lucky enough to get the same hero between spawns then yes the Ult should stay the same as it was (i have had almost full ult charge, died, and spawned as same hero only to have no ult happen so much in that mode).

I got Winston four times in a row once and was at 80% Ult on death all 4 times, there was much sadness.
This seems like a great way to make the game more chaotic and fun. I think its a good idea but i dont have much experience with the game mode
Step 1: Build ult as fast as possible
Step 2: Jump off cliff until you get a char with one of the overpowered ults.
Step 3: Win

Thats why you do not keep ult charges.
I get why we don't keep Ult charges, but when I've been working on my Ult charge for a minute or two as Tracer, playing safe as I can knowing full well if I die then it all goes away, and then a random stray bullet headshots me that wasn't even aimed for me from across the map, I want to die irl. Like in the very least can we add a multiplier to the ult charge so we get it a bit faster?

Cause it actually happens to me a LOT that I'll play it safe on a good character to get Ult and then I go to use it and die to my toe getting stubbed from a random Scatter Arrow launched from the enemy spawn room. Like? :/
03/13/2017 12:36 PMPosted by NaughtyOne

Except this is a horrible idea, even in theory, because each time death is a 10 second wait. So no, you are wrong.
How many of you actually read the part in the OP where it is specifically laid out that you'd lose your ult charge if you commit suicide?
03/13/2017 12:56 PMPosted by Malmström
03/13/2017 12:36 PMPosted by NaughtyOne

Except this is a horrible idea, even in theory, because each time death is a 10 second wait. So no, you are wrong.

Even so it will cause people to hold there ults for the right character selection.
Get a mercy or Tracer start and your build your ult insanely quickly, Random luck gives you Zarya next. Your putting another random aspect into a mode with to much random to it already.
Thanks for the feedback on Mystery Heroes. We were talking about it today, actually. We have some clean up that we want to do to the mode eventually. Obviously, we want to remove the "assemble your heroes" moment -- we were restricted by old tech on this but now have the ability to fix this. We also want to prevent self-inflicted eliminations from allowing you to change heroes. As for ultimates, we keep going back and forth on this one. Part of what feels so impactful about the mode is that an elimination is very meaningful... and an ultimate is more of a special occasion. But it definitely feels off to us when you roll the same hero twice and lose that ultimate charge.

We'll keep discussing it and try some things out. Hopefully, the fixes are not too far off. It's definitely not our highest priority issue, but we love the mode and know how much you guys do too. Keep the feedback coming!
Highly Rated
03/13/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Thanks for the feedback on Mystery Heroes. We were talking about it today, actually. We have some clean up that we want to do to the mode eventually. Obviously, we want to remove the "assemble your heroes" moment -- we were restricted by old tech on this but now have the ability to fix this. We also want to prevent self-inflicted eliminations from allowing you to change heroes. As for ultimates, we keep going back and forth on this one. Part of what feels so impactful about the mode is that an elimination is very meaningful... and an ultimate is more of a special occasion. But it definitely feels off to us when you roll the same hero twice and lose that ultimate charge.

We'll keep discussing it and try some things out. Hopefully, the fixes are not too far off. It's definitely not our highest priority issue, but we love the mode and know how much you guys do too. Keep the feedback coming!

Awesome!
Oh Ok Thanks Jeff
03/13/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We also want to prevent self-inflicted eliminations from allowing you to change heroes.

I'd rather someone who doesn't want to play Genji immediately dive into a pit instead of running up to the enemy team and standing there, giving them free ult charge and putting their team into a longer 5v6 disadvantage.
1 hour to response about MH but over a few months and nothing about Dva... I feel kind of ignored...