The lack of developer feedback on D.Va concerns

General Discussion
1 2 3 274 Next
Highly Rated
There's been a bunch of talk about the D.Va situation over the last month or so, some good suggestions, some bad ones, some trollish banter and lots of opinions on both sides and plenty of discussion to support that the user base is experiencing an issue with this hero. The only opinion that really matters though has been sorely lacking from this discussion. I don’t expect this post to be the one that finally gets a Dev response, but at some point it would be nice to get an idea of what the Overwatch team thinks of all this D.Va talk. I feel like at this stage even non-D.Va players seem to agree she’s currently incredibly flimsy/underwhelming and there’s plenty of evidence around the forums that show this.

I started OW in December and found D.Va to be the character which best suited my play style… without knowing there was a nerf in the works I could tell immediately after the patch she was seriously lacking compared to what she was up to the end of 2016. So much so that I came to these forums (I generally avoid game forums due to trolls, been playing games way too long to buy into that anymore) and confirmed that D.Va had indeed been nerfed. Also learned about the history of in-game changes to D.Va and all that.

So my point is… Bastion gets his changes live this week, and pretty much becomes the Terminator, and within a couple days we get an official statement and update on a new alteration to balance him out a bit… why have we not seen any of this for D.Va? Even a statement saying, “We’re working on it stay tuned” or “look guys we’re leaving her as she is, we like what we’ve done and we have data that shows it is working”… just something, anything would be better than nothing.
Highly Rated
The main problem with D.Va is how fast her mech gets taken out, we've got healers all around the map taking care of others that need healing and the slim survive-ability for D.Va is unreal. I mean the fact that in combat a simple road-hog hook a shot and your team attacking at the same time can cause you to loose your mech. The fact the Rein can survive longer than her is brutal. The change in my opinion that should happen should be 300 Armor 300 Health, that to me sound like a perfect balance, you have to admit she was pretty powerful to use when she was 400 Armor 200 Health so a good balance is good, not an unplayable one.
Highly Rated
03/03/2017 10:05 AMPosted by HyperRifler
The change in my opinion that should happen should be 300 Armor 300 Health, that to me sound like a perfect balance, you have to admit she was pretty powerful to use when she was 400 Armor 200 Health so a good balance is good, not an unplayable one.

I tend to agree with the 300/300 situation, perhaps a size reduction in the crit box... not looking to get her where she was pre-nerf... just balanced properly, whatever it takes to make that happen I'm ok with. I specifically left my opinion out of the post though as at this point I just want a response as a player and the argument of why we deserve one (positive or negative) seemed like a good place to start. ;)
Highly Rated
Blizzard balances based on overall pickrate, so popular characters like D. Va, Mercy and Widowmaker are ignored because people still play them despite them being weak.
Highly Rated
I honestly don't think blizzard really cares about player feedback.
Highly Rated
Rumors say 400 armor never was a problem pre buff~
03/03/2017 10:16 AMPosted by Tyrathius
Blizzard balances based on overall pickrate, so popular characters like D. Va, Mercy and Widowmaker are ignored because people still play them despite them being weak.

I'm actually doing really well with D.Va. My stats have greatly improved over last season and I'm climbing in the ranks.
I want to see 300/300 armor and health, reduction of the crit box and small damage increase for her guns especially at midrange so they don't just tickle people. I feel like this would make her balanced and not too OP although it is a lot of changes at once so blizz would have to keep an eye on her like they are with bastion ATM
"Climbing through the ranks" at 714 SR? Was that meant to be sarcastic?

last I checked D.Va's pickrate was down 60% and dropping; if this were their logic shouldn't we have heard something from them by now?

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-02-08-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-the-meta-that-was-promised

also, if true this is something of a problem when you realize there are 5 tanks and 13 dps heros... this would lead to artificially high pick rates for 'popular' tanks because we have so few options compared to the dps class. surely this isn't how they approach the issue.
Highly Rated
Make d.va great again
Highly Rated

I'm starting to feel like you're onto something here.

Mercy and now (again) D.VA are always to be seen ingame despite arguably being the least favorable picks in their respective cathegories.
Because they have a huge fanbase und are generally fun to play.

Which I guess is fine. It never bothered me that D.VA wasn't as strong, she was fun as hell to play (and also has symmetrical guns, which helped me a lot in the beginning ;) ).

Thing is D.VA is no longer fun. With no character am I as painfully aware of my own mortality. If there isn't an ana pocketing me (mercy is not good enough). I'm not looking for openings to attack or harass. I'm hugging healthpacks and lay suppressive fire orisa style, because anything else will just result my mech to pop. I feel more lethal as baby D.VA.
03/03/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Eruraviel

It really wasn't. Most "DPS" were 76 then. Her crit box meant he could burn through 400 armor and 200 health in 17 rounds. 35 x 12 = 420. 180 health left. 40 x 5 = 200, MEKA's a goner.

400 health and 200 armor? 35 x 6 = 210, 390 remaining health. 40 x 10 = 400, MEKA's a goner.

ONE BULLET. That's all 200 more armor amounted to. Armor has more impact towards shotguns and machine pistols with her crit box the way it is, and only marginally so.
03/03/2017 11:03 AMPosted by Hartayke
"Climbing through the ranks" at 714 SR? Was that meant to be sarcastic?

Rank isn't everything. I, like many people, had a lot of bad luck with matching last year, and losses were harsher than wins were beneficial.

With that said, go to MasterOverwatch and look me up. I'm on the leaderboard lists for several stats. So, yeah, if you think rank is everything, then you might not understand the teamwork issue.
Clarification: for D.Va.

Also, I just started playing this year and began comp in February. So it shouldn't be surprising that I could actually be better than my rank.
03/03/2017 11:22 AMPosted by Littleman
03/03/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Eruraviel

It really wasn't. Most "DPS" were 76 then. Her crit box meant he could burn through 400 armor and 200 health in 17 rounds. 35 x 12 = 420. 180 health left. 40 x 5 = 200, MEKA's a goner.

400 health and 200 armor? 35 x 6 = 210, 390 remaining health. 40 x 10 = 400, MEKA's a goner.

ONE BULLET. That's all 200 more armor amounted to. Armor has more impact towards shotguns and machine pistols with her crit box the way it is, and only marginally so.

All it did was open up the whole roster to counter her :/

i dont get the point of having her as a tank.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

All it did was open up the whole roster to counter her :/

i dont get the point of having her as a tank.

Mathematically, the whole roster kind of already did. It's not hard to hit a 300ehp blimp that can barely move with weapons that have an even more stunted effective range than Roadhog's shotgun.

And all of this for infinite ammo.
If I'm being honest with you, I think it's because they don't quite know what to do yet. She kinda thinly straddles op and weak because he kit has the potential to be devastating depending on how much she gets to use it. Unfortunately when she's op, she replaces dps characters more than the off tanks, and she's clearly not an anchor tank.

Since nobody wants triple tank again, I suspect they're really thinking about DVA. I actually think there's a lot of promise for pairing tanks with Orisa, especially on payload. Orisa can hold the payload very well while dva contests the high ground more. I think they'll fix dva, but it really does take more thought given how much damage she has and how mobile she is.

She's truly not terrible diving with Winston and genji and Tracer, but I do agree she needs a bit more.
I've come to enjoy the new dva and have learned to use her defense matrix more strategically. considering the amount of time you inevitably play as baby dva though, I'd love to see her have an ability of her own, maybe something similar to mcree's flashbang to help her escape, idk.
You are asking the devs to admit that when people asked, "Why are you nerfing D'va to weaker than she was when you buffed her for being weak?" and they responded "No no, it's fine" that they were wrong.

That simply won't happen.