Don't Buff Winston! Sincerely, A Winston Main.

General Discussion
03/06/2017 03:16 PMPosted by Kartney
Yes pls change a perfectly fine hero because players from gold rank are crying once again.
This forum is the reason for almost all of the problems this game has, kinda sad and funny at the same time.

Are you daft? This thread is about how Winston DOESNT need a buff.
03/06/2017 03:21 PMPosted by GoldenPants
03/06/2017 03:12 PMPosted by ZombieFX
CD on putting down bubble is OP... ~ you throw bubbles all few seconds then!
~ having the CD from 13 to... 11... THAT be enough for now.

He is not a (as ppl now put it) "anchor tank".
He does not need his bubble that frequently and shouldn't act this way.
He has to save it up for dives and other risky maneuvers.

Something blizzard agrees on. Risk reward!

You either deal in Smeconds sir or never play Winston. That cool down is closer to 18. Not 13.

Cooldown is only 18 if you dont use the barrier properly. If you drop the barrier in a position where it will not be there until it breaks, then the cool down is 18. Too many Winston players drop barriers without thinking and then complain they have to wait so long for the next one.
http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/global/mode/ranked/category/skillrating

Go through it, count all of the top rank Ana's on PC, then switch to PS4 leaderboard, and count all of the top rank Ana's. The metas are completely different. I'm not calling you bad, many heroes can be played just as good with a controller, but you're making yourself look like an idiot.
Gosh, I thought we were talking about Winston here, I didn't realize it was an Ana thread :/

I play at master level comp on PS4. Ana is in 9/10 games just like PC.

Honestly I wish people would !@#$ about this whole "you're on a different platform your opinion doesn't matter" crap. How would you feel if I said your opinion didn't matter because you played on PC?

I just proved my point that the meta for PC and console are different, there for, balancing on one platform does not mean it should be done the same way on the other.

You told me to make a real argument. I supplied actual data, then your response contains your anecdotal evidence, and you can't even comprehend what I said and start talking about an Ana meta? Jesus man, I'm speechless...
He only need his shield put back to 1000 before they nerfed it due to stacking. Maybe make the timer better too like 10 seconds. Other than that Winston is fairly ok. Although his job at dive tanking took a hit with the lack of D.Va duoing it with him.
03/06/2017 02:47 PMPosted by NiceArmor
Winston was fine once upon a time, but in the current meta he is kind of weak, I don't think his damage needs a buff so much as his survivability does though. Winston isn't really an assassin he's a disruptor, and the characters he is meant to kill (widow, genji, hanzo) he kills well enough.
Winston's weakness is how fast he dies behind enemy lines, as a disruptor, he should have a much more intimidating presence when behind enemy lines. If he has more than 1 hero on him, his barrier melts rather easily and his jump and barrier are on rather long cool downs. If barrier had more HP, and his kit had 1-2 second faster cool down all around I think it would make him much more viable without breaking him.
Maybe he could do with a clip size increase, but i think his damage is fine as is.

tl;dr, Winston should be harder to kill, not be able to kill harder.

Yea I agree. I use to think his damage was too weak but it's fine honestly. If he got buffed he'd absolutely destroy like 90% of the roster. Like I get it, you're not always gonna be able to go after the mercy and when she pops up and insta-saves someone who had like 1 hp left from you, the frustration is beyond unreal. But just calm down, switch over to the mercy if you can or leap away. That's honestly on your team for being dumb enough to let that happen anyways instead of them shooting the mercy or focusing on the thing you're distracting/killing in the first place. You can only do so much.

But yes Winston's surviveablity is super low. Especially when going after snipers because you're huge, they see you, you're always gonna be in moderate range for some headshots, and scatter arrows are basically magnetically attracted to your giant body. I don't know what OP is smoking, but an Ana with a sleep dart almost never misses a primal rage winston so um going after her in Rage mode is typically a horrible idea unless you know she just used it or you're confident you can dodge it. I mean if you CAN dodge the dart then all the more power to you bro it's your ult if you wanna risk wasting while catching some Z's have fun.

I've had games where the enemy team had a Widow, a Hanzo, an Ana, and a Symmetra and I couldn't do anything to them as Winston because they'd see me coming 1000 miles away and I wasn't getting healed properly. I'd have like half HP before I even near the widow half the time. Winston has to get focused healed pretty hard at times to be useful I feel like he needs more armor/hp or something. Anything to help this guy live.
03/05/2017 12:49 PMPosted by Auby
Buff Winston! Sincerely, A higher rank Winston Main.

-Shield CD now activates when it is laid down.
-Shield health now displayed the same way that Orisa's is.
-Enemies shooting Winston during his ult don't gain ult charge.

I agree with the first two at least. The third one I just don't see them doing.

But I think his shield cooldown should start ON ACTIVATION and not after bursting the bubble. If Orisa gets her cooldown started as soon as the shield is dropped, why not Winston.

I also agree on the shield health meter. Such a GREAT QOL addition to a shield user that Reinhardt has always enjoyed and now Orisa has. Winston needs it too. You need to know when it's time to jump away.

Outside of that, I think he's pretty good. The shield cooldown was always my main point of contention with Winston. His damage being AoE and a total squishy killer with no aim needed is still fairly strong. He's weak in the tank meta against the tanks, but he's great if he gets the jump on the healers that facilitate the tank meta.
Also I would just like to point out that the only people who think Winston is fine are the ones who either got focused/pocket healed during the majority of their Winston gameplay or they've been on the receiving end of Winston kills and are just super salty. Like that's it. That's literally it.

Yea maybe you were fine because the Ana/Mercy knew you'd be dead in 10 seconds of not being watched so they babysat you all game, but trust me if you hadn't gotten heal carried you wouldn't be anywhere near fine.
03/05/2017 12:54 PMPosted by ohmybob
03/05/2017 12:49 PMPosted by Auby
Buff Winston! Sincerely, A higher rank Winston Main.

-Shield CD now activates when it is laid down.
-Shield health now displayed the same way that Orisa's is.
-Enemies shooting Winston during his ult don't gain ult charge.

Bad

- Shield can be canceled by pressing E to start the CD timer over
- Status effects don't work on Winston while ulted

That's all he needs

- Winston can now push bastion even in sentry mode
I am also a Winston main and I agree with everything being said in the first post. Increasing the cool down on his jump pack will truly kill the monkey. The only thing that should be looked at is the cool down on his barrier, everything else is fine. Was there any talks of nerfing Winston's jump pack as told in the original post? I hope not :(
03/06/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Alowynn
03/06/2017 03:16 PMPosted by Kartney
Yes pls change a perfectly fine hero because players from gold rank are crying once again.
This forum is the reason for almost all of the problems this game has, kinda sad and funny at the same time.

I wanted to quote that one answer but forgot it seems.
03/06/2017 04:20 PMPosted by Kartney
03/06/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Alowynn

I wanted to quote that one answer but forgot it seems.
Well, glad to hear that wasn't directed towards me. I was like.... okkkayy...
I don't need to buff Winston ^^ Just let me see his barrier's HP, either on the UI like Rein or in the barrier like Orisa. I only need that.

And i completely agree with you, Winston is fine in the hand of capable players.
Buff winstons shield

Problem solved
I see what you're saying, but I want this so bad
03/06/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Crypticarts
03/06/2017 03:21 PMPosted by GoldenPants

You either deal in Smeconds sir or never play Winston. That cool down is closer to 18. Not 13.

Cooldown is only 18 if you dont use the barrier properly. If you drop the barrier in a position where it will not be there until it breaks, then the cool down is 18. Too many Winston players drop barriers without thinking and then complain they have to wait so long for the next one.

This only applies when the enemies are somehow determined to destroy the bubble. If they're smart enough, they'll just run away from the bubble and Winston.
I think the latest PTR change to Winston worth a try.
Damage buff isn't necessary though, but increasing his ammo size might be.
Latest nerf to Ana also can have some impacts, as those instant 100hp was too powerful before (I don't get why they nerf her damage though, I think her problem is the 100% healing block, which should be reduced to 50%).
They're buffing winstons, and good thing to.
Too bad that buff to Zenyatta's discord orb didn't end up going through.
The change to his barrier CD is super helpful and i personally am very greatful..

Heres my thoughts on ol WInny.. He doesnt need a damage buff at this time. The only thing i could see helping him is a larger ammo count. With the increased healing done by all the healers it is taking longer to kill people. Which is fine, however, when you have to reload twice to kill a 200 hp hero (Mercy, lucio), thats an issue.

Otherwise Winston is in a great place. The change to the CD on his barrier is something i have personally been asking for, for months. Thank you Blizzard.