Story Cancelled?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
With Orisa we neither got a short or a comic. Both Sombra and Ana came with something to move the story forward. But with the last two comics just being holiday comics and Orisa's story having nothing to do with the rest of the characters, I am thinking that they don't want to continue the story.I can't help but notice that this seems to coincide with Metzen retiring.

If they don't want to continue the story or aren't planning on releasing a short or comic with every hero it would be nice to just get a statement about it, just so the I or the community don't hype ourselves up for something that won't come.
Sky is falling.
Well, Orisa's origin story does tie in with Doomfist, so it moves the story a tad bit. But there are some other things going on we have no clue about. Like what exactly Reaper and Sombra are doing in Oasis, or who Reaper's 'old friend' is there
03/06/2017 11:28 AMPosted by skabuda
Sky is falling.

Not yet, but just wondering why they have been getting sparser and sparser with story content. If they aren't planning on running one, it would be nice to just get a clear answer from them.
03/06/2017 11:38 AMPosted by Dagoneth
03/06/2017 11:28 AMPosted by skabuda
Sky is falling.

Not yet, but just wondering why they have been getting sparser and sparser with story content. If they aren't planning on running one, it would be nice to just get a clear answer from them.

You already know the story from the teasers. Genius in robotics and AI field, child from Numbani, creates a new defence Omnic with advanced AI because the old AR14's were not holding up in keeping people safe. Case in point, Doomfist attacked the AR14s at the airport.

Also in the Overwatch universe, all stories thus far have been background stories. They've said with Orisa, this is a NEW development that's happening in the present.
03/06/2017 11:26 AMPosted by Dagoneth
With Orisa we neither got a short or a comic. Both Sombra and Ana came with something to move the story forward. But with the last two comics just being holiday comics and Orisa's story having nothing to do with the rest of the characters, I am thinking that they don't want to continue the story. I can't help but notice that this seems to coincide with Metzen retiring. If they don't want to continue the story or aren't planning on releasing a short or comic with every hero it would be nice to just get a statement about it, just so the I or the community don't hype ourselves up for something that won't come.
Orisa is designed to take on Doomfist. Doomfist just attacked the airport on Numbani and now has the gauntlet. Blizzard said they were working on multiple heroes recently. There are some gaming conventions coming up. I think theres a good chance we will see a new cinematic with Doomfist in it soon, possibly another villain hero will be released soon too. Hopefully DF

The player base of OverWatch is booming, this is a cash cow theyre not going to cancel their story. They would be stupid to do so.
It would suck if they decided to no longer bother with a story.

The lore of OW is quite good!

What i'd like is for some events to just be in game events.

Like not inspired by RL events like Halloween, Christmas or New Year.

I mean they were nice to have, and definitely played them all, but some in game lore-based event like an Omnic Crisis remembrance day...
03/06/2017 11:43 AMPosted by skabuda
03/06/2017 11:38 AMPosted by Dagoneth

You already know the story from the teasers. Genius in robotics and AI field, child from Numbani, creates a new defence Omnic with advanced AI because the old AR14's were not holding up in keeping people safe. Case in point, Doomfist attacked the AR14s at the airport.

Also in the Overwatch universe, all stories thus far have been background stories. They've said with Orisa, this is a NEW development that's happening in the present.

I know, but that's so little information. We didn't even get to see Doomfist's attack on the airport, we don't even know which Dommfist it was. I am just a bit tired of the story always teasing something to come and then not delivering, like the entire Sombra ARG.
Orisa is literally the first hero to move the Overwatch story forward. It's not much, but it's the first step. Every other story point we've gotten has been background story on characters. Orisa is the first character they're using to move the world story forward. We may get a short come her actual live release, but it feels like they're working up to a big event centered around the reveal and revival of the new doomfist. Which will catapult the present day story forward.

Everything they've been doing previously has been set up, Orisa is the first character that feels like they're finally taking steps forward to tell more of the overwatch story. They have just shifted focus from telling the history of overwatch, to actually telling the present story.
03/06/2017 11:46 AMPosted by Zsskayr
It would suck if they decided to no longer bother with a story.

The lore of OW is quite good!

What i'd like is for some events to just be in game events.

Like not inspired by RL events like Halloween, Christmas or New Year.

I mean they were nice to have, and definitely played them all, but some in game lore-based event like an Omnic Crisis remembrance day...

If I had to make a complaint, it is that they have way too many holiday events already. They have almost all major ones covered even though the game is just in its first year. I know these holiday events make them money, but they are just nice at the end of the day and bring very little to the game experience.
03/06/2017 11:55 AMPosted by HIddenArtist
Orisa is literally the first hero to move the Overwatch story forward. It's not much, but it's the first step. Every other story point we've gotten has been background story on characters. Orisa is the first character they're using to move the world story forward. We may get a short come her actual live release, but it feels like they're working up to a big event centered around the reveal and revival of the new doomfist. Which will catapult the present day story forward.

Everything they've been doing previously has been set up, Orisa is the first character that feels like they're finally taking steps forward to tell more of the overwatch story. They have just shifted focus from telling the history of overwatch, to actually telling the present story.

Why do people keep saying that they are expecting something once she has been released? Her origin story seems very wrapped up and by the timeline Doomfist seems to already have left Numbani.

And they have been telling the present story of Overwatch, what I am complaining about is that all the plot stories they have started, like with Winston's Recall and Soldier 76's quest and Sombra's conspiracy, they just keep making more and more stories with all the characters doing their separate things, meaning no one's story gets to go forward as they all have to wait their turn. Now we also have the Doomfist story coming up with the other stuff taking the backseat. I am excited for Doomfist, but I thought we would be seeing Winston again because of his connection.
03/06/2017 11:29 AMPosted by JakuNonon
Well, Orisa's origin story does tie in with Doomfist, so it moves the story a tad bit. But there are some other things going on we have no clue about. Like what exactly Reaper and Sombra are doing in Oasis, or who Reaper's 'old friend' is there

or why was Reaper following that family in the Christmas comic.
03/06/2017 12:21 PMPosted by ThunderBolt2

or why was Reaper following that family in the Christmas comic.

I think we could make a giant list of possible plot hooks that they could advance. It just seems silly that none of them seem to be going forward at any real pace.
Bumping, because I would like some answers.

Did those lines ever go to live, I have never heard them in game.
03/06/2017 01:03 PMPosted by Dagoneth

Did those lines ever go to live, I have never heard them in game.
I'm not sure, I mean, I never get Oasis in rotation...so maybe?
The short will be unrelated the Orisa. The leak was mostly correct, so I'm going to assume that the short is about Mei.

This follows a pattern. Ana didn't get a short, and her comic was released after she was, followed by Bastion's cinematic. Sombra then had her own cinematic. It could be an every other pattern for new heroes getting a short related to them. It's possible that a comic about Orisa will be released soon.
It's kinda crazy to think that it's been almost a year since the recall short and we still haven't seen any follow up on it.
03/06/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Tailand
The short will be unrelated the Orisa. The leak was mostly correct, so I'm going to assume that the short is about Mei.

This follows a pattern. Ana didn't get a short, and her comic was released after she was, followed by Bastion's cinematic. Sombra then had her own cinematic. It could be an every other pattern for new heroes getting a short related to them. It's possible that a comic about Orisa will be released soon.

Wasn't Ana's comic first comic released with her? I know she got two. But what would the comic about Orisa be about anyway? Doomfist is already gone, so maybe she teams up with Overwatch to track him down?

As for the leak, I kinda believe it as well, but I am wondering why its Mei they are focusing on, she already got the journals, which isn't much, but compared to Zenyatta, D.Va, Mercy, and Zarya, is still better than nothing. And it's already a story we know, it's strange they are still working on backstory at this point.

That said, I am still looking forward to it.
03/06/2017 01:17 PMPosted by Dagoneth
Wasn't Ana's comic first comic released with her? I know she got two. But what would the comic about Orisa be about anyway? Doomfist is already gone, so maybe she teams up with Overwatch to track him down?

As for the leak, I kinda believe it as well, but I am wondering why its Mei they are focusing on, she already got the journals, which isn't much, but compared to Zenyatta, D.Va, Mercy, and Zarya, is still better than nothing. And it's already a story we know, it's strange they are still working on backstory at this point.

That said, I am still looking forward to it.
Well, the first comic released with Ana didn't give us new information, as what Ana described in her introduction video was simply put into comic form. The comic that drove the plot forward was Old Soldiers, which was released later on, and it showed Ana and Jack meeting again after her supposed death. I guess this time Chu didn't see a need to give Orisa backstory in comic form.

I think Mei was chosen because it's going to be released around the time of LNY. The leaker did give off that impression.