Map Editor for Overwatch?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
03/20/2017 03:21 PMPosted by TurtleGod
03/20/2017 03:16 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We are extremely open-minded about releasing a map editor for Overwatch someday. But because Overwatch was made with a brand new engine, this is not a small task or one which can happen any time soon. We have this on our long-term road map and believe heavily in user-made content. But there are many challenges ahead of us and it will be a very long road before our editor can be made available to the public.

i prefer high Quality maps over cheap usermade maps

ho ho boy, you my friend clearly didn't experience the joy of halo 3's map editing.
We are extremely open-minded about releasing a map editor for Overwatch someday. But because Overwatch was made with a brand new engine, this is not a small task or one which can happen any time soon. We have this on our long-term road map and believe heavily in user-made content. But there are many challenges ahead of us and it will be a very long road before our editor can be made available to the public.

Any news on saving play of the games or highlights without having to use external programs?

I have the feeling that I'm not the only one asking for this..
Blizzard made a new engine for Overwatch!? Wow, this game's development continues to amaze me. Thanks so much to the Overwatch team and the whole team at Blizzard for working so hard to make this game possible!

Ok Jeff listen....Lucio + map creator = jump maps...

This needs to become a priority, every good FPS had jump maps...

This could become a new game within Overwatch.
03/20/2017 03:26 PMPosted by LastLaugh
Any news on saving play of the games or highlights without having to use external programs?

Yes. This will be live before the end of summer. It's being worked on right now.
03/20/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Yes. This will be live before the end of summer. It's being worked on right now.

Now this is exciting!
03/11/2017 12:28 PMPosted by Kawagima
03/11/2017 11:34 AMPosted by Destroyeer
As in other games of Blizzard

Only the RTS games have map editors (Warcrafts and Starcrafts). No other game have it. Not even Heroes of the Storm, which would be the closest to a RTS from the rest of their games.
um? doom as a map editor wtf is your point here?

Edit: Its Hard not impossible don't mix up the two please.

Thanks Jeff!

ty papa Jeff
heres some lootbox money

THANK YOU a BIG THANK YOU and the entire overwatch team!
could we see purchasable icons in the near future? I've been trying to get junkrats bomb icon again since when i had it in the open beta ;-; sitting on nearly 3k credits on live
03/20/2017 03:30 PMPosted by Sandity
03/11/2017 12:28 PMPosted by Kawagima

Only the RTS games have map editors (Warcrafts and Starcrafts). No other game have it. Not even Heroes of the Storm, which would be the closest to a RTS from the rest of their games.

I think (hope) that person is referencing blizzard games. Considering the number of players who became employees by building maps for Quake 1/2/3...I trust they mean Blizzard games, like Diablo.

Thank you very much for your answer, Jeff! Now I can die peacefully :D
I did not lose hope that one day an editor maybe might appear
03/20/2017 03:30 PMPosted by Sandity
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Edit: Its Hard not impossible don't mix up the two please.

Context: He was referring to Blizzard games.

Anyone that has played DOOM better know there are map editors. I'm mucking around in an old school DOOM map editor (Doom builder 2) right now. Outdated tech in the game itself but designing maps for it is great for intermediate level designers (DOOM 2016's snapmap being great for beginners.)

As for Overwatch, I expect with the introduction of custom games, a map editor and fan made maps is pretty much a shoo-in. I expect players will have to use official resources, but they can custom build the geometry. Maybe even expect some PvE content through third party creations.
I'd love to see a map editor, some of my best memories in gaming was playing custom games in Halo 3 on forge maps with a group of friends.
03/20/2017 03:18 PMPosted by Pokono
Damm, he responded to this super old thread.

But anyways, this is good to hear!
March 11 wasnt all that long ago

but anyway not surprised its on the back burner
Jeff - What about Play of the Game 2.0? Is this coming any time soon?

Great news! But it would be cool to have a certain editor, for the preservation of matches and subsequent viewing from different angles, with slowing down and other things. Something like demos in CS. Is there any movement in this direction?

If their editor is any good (which will most likely be) user made maps will be awesome.

Reminder, moba games came alive because of their warcraft 3 editor.

I can already imagine fun custom maps for Overwatch such as a map with only pillars and lucio. Main goal being to boop off others to their death while constantly wall riding the pillars.

Or what about a zergling rush style map? Constant Reinhardt charge in different angle and you must reach the end without getting hit.

Well, I can't wait for this...

You'd be surprised what fans can create. Team Fortress 2 has over a hundred well made fan created maps, maps so good that Valve actually made a lot of them official. Not to mention with fan made maps comes fan made gamemodes.