Blizzard, is Orisa an Omnic or just a robot?

General Discussion
I'm really curious about this too... Blizzard? :D
03/02/2017 11:12 AMPosted by Darhide
Can you please confirm? I'd like to know whether or not Orisa is an actual sentient being with feelings or if she's just got an extremely advanced A.I. and is simply following her programming.

I read somewhere that the OR15s that she's based on were built in Omniums so she is presumably a sort of Omnic.
a omnic is still a robot. it's not a living ''being''
03/02/2017 11:19 AMPosted by Gluttony
She's like Bastion. Just a different kind of omnic unit.

Her creator however apparently "gave her a heart". While cheesy it's adorable. I would watch a movie about a little girl and her giant robot centaur

I fixed it for you.

Movie's already out: Big Hero 6.
Wait so what is Snowball?
Seeing as Orisa wasn't made in an Omnium she is a robot. (much like Snowball)

In the game's lore Omnics are made within Omniums; IE: Kinds Row where the payload is delivered.
The origins story says that Efi 'gave her a heart' and installed a personality module, so basically she is just as sentient as Zen or Bastion. The reason she seems very robotic is because she is newly made and still learning and developing her personality.
The OR14 were omnics designed to fight humans, later in numbani they developed the OR15 for protecting it's numbani's citizen.
I'm not sure about Osira, she uses parts of the OR15, but i think her programming is different, since efi programmed her.
I think she's more a robot than a omnic but who knows ?
From her origin story she seems to be a Omnic reprogrammed...or I guess you could view her as a robot with Omnic tech...maybe a hybrid?
OKAY! I am legit confused about what the heck she is now.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/orisa/

Taken from her story page, the first thing I notice is this:

Okay, so that should confirm that she's a robot and not an Omnic. Or at least that's what I THOUGHT!

THEN I scroll down and I see THIS:

The omnic's inexperience can cause her to be an occasional liability.
So wait? She's actually an Omnic afterall? What?

It also says that her personality is pre-programmed and refers to her as a robot again later on. So what the heck? Are you a robot or an Omnic!?

MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
In Overwatch, omnic and robot are just about interchangeable as colloquial terms (it's the equivalent of Kleenex vs. tissue paper). In this sense, people would refer to Orisa as an omnic (as they would for Zenyatta and Bastion), particularly because the model she is based on (the OR14) was originally created prior to and during the Omnic Crisis. But people would also be correct in referring to her as a robot.

Orisa is not a drone, as she possesses a complex artificial intelligence. However, at this point in her career, she's still just starting out, so she has a long way to grow as she learns more about herself and the world around her.
Thanks for the clarification!
03/02/2017 04:11 PMPosted by Michael Chu
Kleenex vs. tissue paper

so who owns the trademark? :P
In Overwatch, omnic and robot are just about interchangeable as colloquial terms (it's the equivalent of Kleenex vs. tissue paper). In this sense, people would refer to Orisa as an omnic (as they would for Zenyatta and Bastion), particularly because the model she is based on (the OR14) was originally created prior to and during the Omnic Crisis. But people would also be correct in referring to her as a robot.

Orisa is not a drone, as she possesses a complex artificial intelligence. However, at this point in her career, she's still just starting out, so she has a long way to grow as she learns more about herself and the world around her.

In other words, a baby was given access to fire arms and is expected to use them expertly and in the context of protecting the innocent, preferably with little to no collateral damage.

Ooh boy, this is gonna be fun.

so, she is the female version of Bastion as character goes. a former battle robot discovering itself and the world around it with the help of a friend. very original...
Remove Omnics.
Enough said.

so, she is the female version of Bastion as character goes. a former battle robot discovering itself and the world aroud it. very original...

are all OR15s female?

or did elf program orisa that way
03/02/2017 04:13 PMPosted by Littleman

In other words, a baby was given access to fire arms and is expected to use them expertly and in the context of protecting the innocent, preferably with little to no collateral damage.

Ooh boy, this is gonna be fun.

For me, it will be interesting if she acts like KOSMOS in Xenosaga when she's just out in the world, like killing anything or anyone even if it's allies, in order to complete her objective.
03/02/2017 04:17 PMPosted by LexRage
Remove Omnics.
Enough said.

This message has been approved and funded by Talon.
So if Omnics and robots are the same, would an Omnic rights activist accuse me of slavery for owning a Roomba?

Edit: wait, I think I get it. Not all rectangles are squares, but all squares are rectangles.