How do they build heros?

General Discussion
The reason I bring this up, most, because I like looking at game from a game design stand point. I am I genuinely interested in how Blizzard make their heroes.
Do they have the character image first?
do they start with the lore?
Or do they start with a kit idea or a role/function they want to fill?

The real reason why I ask this to not only appreciate their great work (like orisa which they did an EXCELLENT job with) but to also analyse the game and see what could be the next here and also answer the biggest question I have
"how do you make a shield base hero that is just as useful as a support that heals?"

The reason I ask this because as of right now. healing is so valuable that having a support that can't heal isn't worth it being the only support so much so it feel like those supports either need their own category (don't truly think that) or find a way that makes it so a support that can't heal can still find a place in the game.

I know there is Sym, my main girl. But she honestly feel like a defence hero, with support abilities then being an actual support.

As of right now I can't see a shield based/ non-healing support character doesn't feel like it will find a place in this game mostly because of how important healing is.
mostly because if they don't deal great damage and was like Sym pre-rework, where they gave very little defensive bonuses to all likes an only truly were good based on terrain control and the teleporter. you would usually be better with a tank or another defence or offence then that hero. Unless they have abilities that either increase survivability, or give something that is just as powerful as healing. like major crowd control or more information or even damage reduction but all these are really hard to balance with a hero before they are broken or useless.

I had a very basic idea of a non-healing hero.
you have a hero know has a passive that if some one loses health ( the white bars) it will be regenerated as a shield until they touch a health pack or get healing. This person also double the speed that shields regens.

Their other ability I haven't thought of but as of right now this would make it so it would kind of fill the role of a healer with out being actually able to heal. But I get if that can't be a thing.

I would like to know your guys thoughts on how they build heroes and also what support hero idea you guys have. Healing or not.
A giant spinning wheel
In the honor of a great hero.

One hundred percent German power!
03/07/2017 04:29 PMPosted by Flamedramon
A giant spinning wheel

That would be hilarious if they did it that way. specially with how great they are making them recently
I imagine first they imagine what would benefit the game most; what needs a new hero the most? That'll be when they decide on the kit, mostly; like "Alright, we need another tank. We need one that can be an anchor hero like Reinhardt, who can absorb damage and use a shield". Then they'd probably think about "how can this fit in the lore?".
For new support, I'd like to see another hero that balances the playing with the healing. Lucio isn't a great healer or DPS but he's got a decent balance. Ana was great at it too (she was just nerfed though) and I just think we should see something else like that. Maybe one that has an ability to absorb/block damage in some way and then throw down health packs.

This brings up another point I've always thought about: what kind of new, unique concepts will new heroes have? it seems like there's not much else they could do that'd be entirely unique.
03/07/2017 04:37 PMPosted by Jyggalag
I imagine first they imagine what would benefit the game most; what needs a new hero the most? That'll be when they decide on the kit, mostly; like "Alright, we need another tank. We need one that can be an anchor hero like Reinhardt, who can absorb damage and use a shield". Then they'd probably think about "how can this fit in the lore?".
For new support, I'd like to see another hero that balances the playing with the healing. Lucio isn't a great healer or DPS but he's got a decent balance. Ana was great at it too (she was just nerfed though) and I just think we should see something else like that. Maybe one that has an ability to absorb/block damage in some way and then throw down health packs.

This brings up another point I've always thought about: what kind of new, unique concepts will new heroes have? it seems like there's not much else they could do that'd be entirely unique.

Yeah. Lucio is ment as a survivability tool not as much as a main dog healer. if you have a coo-ordinated team or a team that stays together you will have a constant source of healing. this would be enough to keep burst down but with using his E at the right time will cause the group to feel like they have 1.5-2x the amount of hp.

But something that can drop a healing spot would be interesting, It would be like bard from League.

lucio has his place. it might not be healthy as of right now. like he doesn't see much play or he is out shined by other people. But then he ult is what counters other ults.

I would love to see some abilities like this

a projectile that creates a slow field for a time being. No freeze.
A projectile that creates a reduce damage in the area.

More builders. one that are more support. like one that can build mods to Health pack like reduce the respond time or double healing for allies. or things that can increase speed or stuff.

I would love to see more supports and builder
Most likely start with various amounts of concept art based around the idea of what that hero is suppose to represent

A good example would be mercy
"A healer"
"Someone who protects people"
"Angels protect people"
"Lets start with that concept and see what we can come up with"

After coming up with various amounts of concept art, they will then pick out the most interesting parts from all of the pieces made and create an "alpha build" around that.

After that, the design that works best will be improved upon and sent to the main developer, the developer would tell the team what he approves of and what can be changed, this will continue until the developer approves of the design.

(If you are working on a solo project, i would advise sending the ideas to a friend or someone with some knowledge in game development, it would help you avoid making a dull or basic character)

This is where is gets tricky

After that is done, they would then take to modelling software, create the base human,omnic,ect model then place the concept art on the model, from there they would continue to sculpt the model to fit the concept art.

After this, they would then finalize the model, making sure all kinks are ironed out and the model fits the art style of the type of game you're making

Then you need to decide on whether or not your characters clothing is going to be physics based, then implement that while you work on the clothing
(if they jump is it going to float then fall down, if they spin, will it rotate with their body)

Then you would have to move onto animation, making your own is very tricky,but super rewarding.
What is your character going to be doing.
what weapon do they have.
how do they walk/run/jump/crouch.
what are their abilities.
how will they reload
What is the reload time/animation
ect.

After that you need to try all this out in a alpha build, meaning you will need to have some kind of map created to test is, and some "bots" to try working on.

You will also need an engine to run it on.
(i would help you out here, but i have zero clues about engines, you will have to figure all that out on your own)

If all this goes smoothly, then you will then need to try out the abilities to make sure they work.

After all that, you then need to create a whole new character to make sure more than one can work on the same map.

if that works, then you need to do this at least 15 times to create a good level of variety, then you need to do all the animations for all of those different character, the you need to make sure they all work together and are balanced.

During all of this you need to be making more maps, making sure the online works
"if you have it"
Making sure all bugs are ironed out
Making sure everything is balanced
ect.
not only that, but you need to make sure it works on the specific console you want it to.
is this game play-station, Xbox, PC, All three?

You will also need to work on advertisement, seeing as this would most likely be your first ever game, i would recommend not spending a lot of money on advertisement.

just tell you friends or people on the internet about it, and hope word of mouth is a kind mistress, and let that ship sail on it's own, you can't do anything about that, except reply to people's questions and hope for positive reviews

Congrats you got past the hard part!

At this point you should have made sure if defiantly works on the console of your choice, and you may even have to strike up a business deal with that company
(good luck)

Then you get play testers to run the alpha build of the game and make sure that you take down every note of positive and negative they tell you.

then you take to the game build again and fix any large negativity/bugs/crashes

during and after all this, you should still be making some more characters/maps and making sure they work and are balanced

Advertisement should have made it's mark by now, well done,after this, hopefully a lot of people are now excited for the game, this is a good point to ask if you can get a trailer created, to increase the hype and to increase the reach of anyone who missed the alpha/beta builds

Then you release the beta build, make sure you get a lot more people involved, seeing as your game should have become more popular by the alpha build
"more characters, more maps, more stuff ect."

Once again, take down any notes of positive and negatives that people say.

You're in the home stretch, keep it up

You keep up to date with the fan base, taking down ability ideas/map ideas/change for the future

Then, whenever you feel it the correct time,(E3,PAX, or any games convention is a good time, but it's up to you)
you release it, and once again, pray the mistress is kind

big note here:
KEEP UP TO DATE WITH THE FANS
Listen to problems, respond to them, video game communities stay more happy is they feel like they can just talk to you.
If there is something broken, fix it as quickly as you can.
If a lot of people are getting upset over one thing, try to fix it.
Think about add-on content, how would it change the game, would it be balanced ect.

But, hey, for now you can relax for a bit, the game is out, your fixing and updating it, and you are now more popular for it.

you did it kid, GG

(if i missed anything, please point it out, this took way to long to type)
This is a popular question that comes up a lot! The answer is, the heroes come from a lot of different places and from all over the team, but mostly from one of three places: art, design, or story (or some combination of them).

There have been times when we've wanted to introduce a character to fill a specific gameplay space. Early on, we knew we wanted an indirect fire character to go against turrets and Bastion (enter: Junkrat), when we wanted a flying rocket launcher-using character (Pharah), or when we decided we wanted to introduce a sniper support character. Other times, characters have really come about because a really strong visual character design was dreamed up by one of the artists, like Zarya or Winston. Finally, there are characters who come out of the story, like Soldier: 76, where we wanted to have a character who could shine a light on certain parts of the narrative (in his case, he's basically at the spine of the entire history of Overwatch).

Every hero is a little different, but in general, that's the process for how they come about!
Highly Rated
03/08/2017 03:40 AMPosted by Michael Chu
This is a popular question that comes up a lot! The answer is, the heroes come from a lot of different places and from all over the team, but mostly from one of three places: art, design, or story (or some combination of them).

There have been times when we've wanted to introduce a character to fill a specific gameplay space. Early on, we knew we wanted an indirect fire character to go against turrets and Bastion (enter: Junkrat), when we wanted a flying rocket launcher-using character (Pharah), or when we decided we wanted to introduce a sniper support character. Other times, characters have really come about because a really strong visual character design was dreamed up by one of the artists, like Zarya or Winston. Finally, there are characters who come out of the story, like Soldier: 76, where we wanted to have a character who could shine a light on certain parts of the narrative (in his case, he's basically at the spine of the entire history of Overwatch).

Every hero is a little different, but in general, that's the process for how they come about!

That's pretty damn neat. I'd love to see a timeline of the order heroes were conceived.

How many/which heroes came from Titan (the original scrapped project that Overwatch evolved from)?

I would like for your new future hero a giant rampaging ostrich.
Any chance for a girl with a sword as her primary weapon and a range attack on cooldown?
03/08/2017 04:45 AMPosted by BadAnaJama
Any chance for a girl with a sword as her primary weapon and a range attack on cooldown?

I want Athena from Borderlands in Overwatch.

I've been part of a hobby group designing a cast of overwatch heroes ourselves. Melee centric characters are abominably hard to balance and I don't blame blizzard's team if they shy away from the idea.

You sure about Soldier: 76?

His kit makes him seem a lot more like you guys felt you needed a Call of Duty type character to satisfy the standard FPS guys who would otherwise complain about unusual gameplay.
03/08/2017 04:47 AMPosted by Browsey

I've been part of a hobby group designing a cast of overwatch heroes ourselves. Melee centric characters are abominably hard to balance and I don't blame blizzard's team if they shy away from the idea.

Well they managed to balance Reinhardt and he has a melee primary with ranged attack on cooldown. They could just do a girl version as a DPS or support hero.
03/08/2017 04:51 AMPosted by BadAnaJama
03/08/2017 04:47 AMPosted by Browsey

Well they managed to balance Reinhardt and he has a melee primary with ranged attack on cooldown. They could just do a girl version as a DPS or support hero.

Reinhardt works because his hammer is a secondary tool, the shield being his primary purpose. You're suggesting a potential DPS character that must rely on a melee weapon as a primary source of value, which is extremely dangerous for a multitude of reasons.

Thanks for replying.

Are there any heroes in the works that interact with Symmetra. Currently she only has two interactions and they are with Lucio and Torbjorn. Are you all going to add anymore characters who interact with her and her story. And are you going to release more non hero support. The Ana nerf (which was needed) is also a nerf to Symmetra since she doesn't heal, generally there's a solo healer; Ana or Mercy for the most part. But with the Ana nerf, now it looks like only Mercy can truly solo heal (which is good cause it puts her back in the meta) but without Mercy, having a Symmetra is hindrance to the team when it comes to healing.
03/08/2017 04:47 AMPosted by Splenectomy

I want Athena from Borderlands in Overwatch.

YES GIVE ME ATHENA FROM BORDERLANDS! AND SHE HAS GOOD MEMORIES!

quote in Torgue's voice