Why do D.va threads end up so damn popular

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
03/10/2017 08:55 AMPosted by DrAntagonist
Because D. Va mains are the single whiniest people on the entire planet and just keep bumping their own threads.

If you keep track of the names of every poster, it's mostly people leaving one response, and then the same <20 people leaving a hundred responses.

It's true, and when the devs answer they get even more ridiculous. This is why developers don't communicate much.

03/10/2017 08:48 AMPosted by Avian
Because both supporters and haters constantly reply to them.

Nah, it's overwhelmingly just spam by the same group of people with comments pointing out how silly it is sprinkled in now and then.
03/10/2017 08:41 AMPosted by Shamus
Seriously. There is a D.va megathread PART 8?! There are D.va threads that go past 2000 posts, Why, oh why, is D.va such a popular topic. This was all caused by a single nerf, and to be fair, she doesn't even seem that bad. but we still have an 8 part megathread talking about it.

Dedicated trolls wouldn't know what to do with themselves if these threads didn't exist. They go and create their own threads to !@#$% about D.va more often than actual genuine D.va discussions leave the mega thread.

People take the bait to counter said trolling. Some see this and take interest in the situation, and then you either have more people informed on the matter, or more people taking on the cause to troll.

It is a vicious cycle and it's what keeps D.va on the first page.
Wow, I've already racked up 20 responses and started arguments.
Becuase they took an underpowered character, buffed them into viability for the first time in their entire existance in the game, into a meta that played into their strengths, then severely nerfed her into a state that is much weaker than her pre-buff self under the notion that she herself was the cause of something when she never was. In fact, one character in particular is what made her appear so strong. Said character has also ruled the game for 6+ months and when they got nerfed, they had it reversed on the PTR within 24 hours. That character being Ana.

Both things they nerfed are the things they buffed to begin with because they considered them weak, now they are both far worse. Plus, the things they changed are things that have been the same since launch and were never an issue, instead of just lessening the buffs they gave her.

Then to top it all off, they have contradicted themselves constantly with what they say and it has made a lot of players upset, not just D.Va players, unlike what some would have you believe. This was made especially apparent with the latest statement on Ana's reversion of her nerfs.
D.va is sort of in the same place as Mercy. She's not a bad hero, and she can still do her job well, but her kit isn't really threatening. Does D.va need a little tuning? Yes. Are the vast majority of people overreacting over the nerfs? Also, yes.

If D.va was as bad as all those threads made her out to be then there wouldn't be any D.vas in competitive. But I see her every third game or so at least, and she usually does fairly well. Which is about right, considering the number of tanks and heroes in general. Honestly, Mercy is in an ok spot right now, and I still see her slightly less than D.va just because Ana and Lucio are in so many games. Teams will almost always have Rein, but that 2nd tanking spot is fair game for anyone else, so it's not like she's extinct.

People who says she's worse than before clearly don't remember launch D.va. I'm not amazing as D.va, but I'm still better at playing her now than I was before the buff/nerf roller coaster took effect. That movement increase while firing and some other things were really needed. She still needs more work, but she's not as bad as she was pre buff/nerf train.
03/10/2017 08:57 AMPosted by BigCheese
03/10/2017 08:55 AMPosted by DrAntagonist
Because D. Va mains are the single whiniest people on the entire planet and just keep bumping their own threads.

If you keep track of the names of every poster, it's mostly people leaving one response, and then the same <20 people leaving a hundred responses.

It's true, and when the devs answer they get even more ridiculous. This is why developers don't communicate much.

03/10/2017 08:48 AMPosted by Avian
Because both supporters and haters constantly reply to them.

Nah, it's overwhelmingly just spam by the same group of people with comments pointing out how silly it is sprinkled in now and then.

You've got to be my favourite anti D.Va contributor around here. You complain so much about us and our threads yet you're a key player in keeping them afloat.

I love it.
03/10/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Cyrohound
D.va is sort of in the same place as Mercy. She's not a bad hero, and she can still do her job well, but her kit isn't really threatening. Does D.va need a little tuning? Yes. Are the vast majority of people overreacting over the nerfs? Also, yes.

If D.va was as bad as all those threads made her out to be then there wouldn't be any D.vas in competitive. But I see her every third game or so at least, and she usually does fairly well. Which is about right, considering the number of tanks and heroes in general. Honestly, Mercy is in an ok spot right now, and I still see her slightly less than D.va just because Ana and Lucio are in so many games. Teams will almost always have Rein, but that 2nd tanking spot is fair game for anyone else, so it's not like she's extinct.

People who says she's worse than before clearly don't remember launch D.va. I'm not amazing as D.va, but I'm still better at playing her now than I was before the buff/nerf roller coaster took effect.

The more you rank up the less you'll see D.va

http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/03/pc-competitive-ladder-season-4-week-1.html
Some heroes are more popular than others.

Mei was one of the least picked heroes in competitive and in pro games for about ~4 months when the game was launched. You can literally check the stats. Very few people complained, because very few people main Mei.

D.Va is one of the most popular mains, so people complain about her being weak a lot more than people complained about Mei, for example. Other really popular mains (and therefore, heroes that get a lot of attention on the forums) are Genji, Mercy, and McCree. Seems some heroes just attract "mains" more than others.

Keep in mind that, for every hero, there is a subsection of hero mains that will decry any changes, justified or not. I'm not saying it isn't justified to complain about D.Va but I am saying that in every group of mains, there's the really loud minority that will complain about any change.

When the game came out, McCree's fan-the-hammer did full bullet damage. Literally 420 damage per FTH. Instant reload with Combat Roll, 420 damage again. McCree could do ~850 damage within 2 seconds. When he was nerfed, people were shrieking on the forums like it was the !@#$ing end times.

People who says she's worse than before clearly don't remember launch D.va. I'm not amazing as D.va, but I'm still better at playing her now than I was before the buff/nerf roller coaster took effect.

See, D.Va is used for DM, that's it. Her abilities are the only balanced thing about her. If your team can carry you, as in you DM a Bastion and they kill him, then you can be "useful." Thing is, that does not happen most of the time and because of how weak her core is(HP and Guns), it does not warrant using her over any other tank because of what she lacks. She may be balanced in her abilities, which is important, but abilties alone can't make a character that useful outside of just exploiting said ability.

Imagine if Rein had his HP reduced to 200 and his hammer did 40 damage a swing. Would he still be viable? Yea, his shield is great and still does the job it's supposed to do. Does that mean you really want him on your team? Most of the time, no. It's a liability. This is basically where D.Va is now, and why many are just saying put her back to her S2 form and only give her the speed buff.

If a buff made her too strong, you revert said buff or weaken it, not heavily change a bunch of stuff that has always been the same and been essential to said character. Again, this is why so many people are upset
if dva mains could stop global warming or buff her damage by 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

they would pick the second option
If D.va was as bad as all those threads made her out to be then there wouldn't be any D.vas in competitive. But I see her every third game or so at least, and she usually does fairly well. Which is about right, considering the number of tanks and heroes in general.

Well to be fair as others have stated, D.Va is an incredibly popular character so it makes sense she still gets picked in comp. She's still somewhat viable I admit, but there are still far better tanks than her. Hell even Winston right now after his buff is a better pick. D.Va is like a situational tank where for example; if an enemy team runs Pharah, you annoy the !@#$ out of her as much as possible with DM's, boost combo, etc...

All things considered, she's still the worst tank in the game. We mostly just want her the back the way she was before the nerf and maybe get her health to 100/400 again or 300/300. I'm just pissed how with all the D.Va concerns, they still refuse to tweak her on the PTR.
03/10/2017 09:04 AMPosted by Excel

I still see D.VA alot in Masters.

03/10/2017 09:10 AMPosted by Panini
if dva mains could stop global warming or buff her damage by 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Lol
Why? To begin with she if very fun to play. She is the perfect complementary character that supports a wide range of play styles. You can play defensively and protect your back line, harass and shut down hanzos/widows, play aggressive and follow a DPS or tank into the thick of things, etc... There are many different ways to play D.Va and what makes a good D.Va is how they choose to use their kit, not their aim. Some of us just cannot play aim-dependent heroes and enjoy playing one who excels based good positioning and decision making. I'd say the fun factor accounts for ~70% of the obsession. If she wasnt fun to play she wouldn't be popular.
All things considered, she's still the worst tank in the game. We mostly just want her the back the way she was before the nerf and maybe get her health to 100/400 again or 300/300. I'm just pissed how with all the D.Va concerns, they still refuse to tweak her on the PTR.

I used to say the same thing about Sombra, but they just gave Sombra some buffs. I made a thread titled "Roadhog gets tweaked 3 times in a row, Sombra gets nothing" or something similar. Turns out Blizz was ready to update Sombra the week after I made that post, but I had no idea the update was coming. It could've been that they were playing with Sombra's numbers internally for quite awhile.

Realistically, Blizzard probably has changes coming for D.Va, you just don't see it because the changes get announced pretty much when they're ready to go live on PTR. It could be that they've been working on D.Va for some time now. In fact, I'd say it's likely.

Also, D.Va is in a relatively decent position compared to some other heroes who are much worse off, like Sombra and Reaper.
03/10/2017 08:49 AMPosted by TankHunter
According to Blizzard D.Va was the #3 most picked hero.

D.Va's existence has even started a entire group of women activists trying to help improve the situation for women in gaming in Korea, to allow a future gamer like D.Va to emerge.

Suffice it to say, her fanbase is incredibly large and incredibly passionate.

To make matters worse is that she was finally made viable then nerfed as a scapegoat for Blizzard's favorite, Ana. Blizzard has even gone and said many contradictive and down right incorrect and/or insulting statements.

So one can say that Blizzard has been helping feed a fire of their own creation.

Nicely done.
Because in the current state, D.Va NEEDS a pocket healer to be able to do anything. That isn't fun.
03/10/2017 09:15 AMPosted by Corpro
03/10/2017 09:04 AMPosted by Excel

I still see D.VA alot in Masters.

03/10/2017 09:10 AMPosted by Panini

Lol

She's 18% pick rate for tanks at masters. You might have some amazing luck. But the stats are there - for Season 4 week 1 general public competitive stats she drops off the more you rank up. Not to nag, but did you look over the stats site?
There is a new comic and hero and yet are Dva and Ana the most popular.

The reason why those posts are made:
-D'va got a massive nerf a few months ago which crippled her a lot.
-The devs has openly admit that they rather replace her with a new mech hero than fixing her.
-A different character got her nerf reverted because "We don't want to swing her balance too wildly within a single patch.". D'va mains want the same treatment and feel like there is some kind of favorism.
-And there is also the fact that they feel ignored. They're on part 8 already and still no reaction from Blizzard.

Those threads has supports from:
-Dva mains. (Obviously)
-Those who want or don't want Ana be nerfed.
-Mains who feel the same. (McCree mains)
03/10/2017 09:16 AMPosted by Picard
Why? To begin with she if very fun to play. She is the perfect complementary character that supports a wide range of play styles. You can play defensively and protect your back line, harass and shut down hanzos/widows, play aggressive and follow a DPS or tank into the thick of things, etc... There are many different ways to play D.Va and what makes a good D.Va is how they choose to use their kit, not their aim. Some of us just cannot play aim-dependent heroes and enjoy playing one who excels based good positioning and decision making. I'd say the fun factor accounts for ~70% of the obsession. If she wasnt fun to play she wouldn't be popular.

You can't even harass Hanzo/Widow anymore because they're usually in the backlines of their team and with your health and big !@# crit box, it's bye bye mech. Sure, you could DM to prevent crit shots, but then you need to let go of it to shoot which leaves you vulnerable. Before the nerf, she'd at least have a chance to do that and survive, but now it dropped significantly.

She doesn't have many play styles anymore. Like Geoff said, you can still do her normal role before the nerf, but it won't be as effective. Right now DM bot D.Va is the most useful D.Va.
03/10/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Shamus
Wow, I've already racked up 20 responses and started arguments.

I've said some time ago: "Merely mentioning D.VA attracts fanboys and haters who will start bickering at each other".
Throw Ana in the middle of that and you'll see it get even worse. And if a blue post comes up, that's when the world burns.