I Admit Defeat; I can't enjoy OW anymore

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 13 Next
There's something def wrong with the game in the sense that the SoloQ experience can be very bad, and go from bad to atrocious.

Definitevily something has to be done, Jeff said on reddit that you can't really control human nature, but Jeff, you can by having harsher penalties and bans for people that throws and trolls.

That's why I have 2 accounts, one for SoloQ and one for my main where I 2 and 3 stacks with trusty friends,

It shouldn't be like that, I get to fully enjoy the game because I simply don't care when I play my smurf, about the trolls, and toxic I DO get on my smurf, I keep playing and carry on, I have fun even on SoloQ because of this, its a smurf and it doesn't tag me as a bad player because I had a bad day and I lost 400 SR because a string of bad luck/throwers,/trolls

I could see that someone just playing with a main account and having to SoloQ all the time would get tyred, exhausted, and I "kinda" get the point of the OP:

But the game is mostly balanced, the maps are insteresting. Sure, We've only had 2 maps in a year, and even if updates are Free, the game sells enough lootbox to warrant quicker updates on that regard.

But we've also had events, mini games like junkenstein revenge and Such: I got my money's worth a LONG long time ago. And my friend list is as active as ever, I even have friends who just bought the game.

See you OP Not everything is as black as you think it is.
03/22/2017 06:32 AMPosted by ParagonFury
Overwatch is a great game....*IF* you have friends on to consistently play with and distract you from all the game's issues.

FYI, it's just as bad in a group. It's still frustrating for all of the same reasons but now you can yell at your friends or loved ones rather than random people! Fun!

The most annoying thing about Overwatch is that in some ways it's really close to being great, but there's a number of obvious changes that they just refuse to implement. For example, as far back as beta people were asking for a HUD element showing the HP, ult status, and alive / dead status of your team. This would be a MASSIVE boon in terms of coordinating your attacks with pub groups. We even actually got such an interface element with Junkenstien's Revenge, but they never implemented it into the main game.

And yes, character balance and matchmaking have been consistently terrible since launch. It's basically always been the case that you play a very specific lineup or lose for free, and if you have a single very bad player you also lose for free. The game has zero ability to recognize whether or not any individual player played well beyond win / loss so when people throw away a game like this it's insanely frustrating.

especially because of the focus on abilities and less on mechanical skill (ever notice how almost always the characters that can dominate through pure mechanical skill - McCree, Genji and Widow for example - get nerfed consistently but those who rely on abilities/are easy to use don't get touched or even buffed - IE: S76, Roadhog etc.?) for many characters.

i don't agree the game is not fun anymore but i agree with this i don't know how they see the heroes but what they doing is controlling the META and i don't like that its more fun when everyone have there own strategy not follow what is hot i can understand that in a game like LOL that have 100 champion and make 30 is this season must pick but in overwatch i cant understand that with only 24 heroes
I fully admit; I was SUPER, EXTRAORDINARILY, UNBELIEVABLY HYPED for Overwatch. It looked amazing, it was from Blizzard and it was a shooter. I thought it would be a sure-fire hit.

Was super ecstatic when I got into the beta. Played the hell out of it, made Youtube vids for the Beta stuff like that. Unfortunately wasn't able to afford the CE when it came out, but I convinced several people to drop the $60 to get the game when it came out.

First two items I ordered when Blizzcon started where my Ana and S76 shirts; was super sad when I couldn't get an Onion Plush.

But now, almost a year since the game's launch and more than a year of playing for me (since I was in Beta) I can honestly say;

Overwatch been one of the *worst* gaming experiences I've had. I thought my friends were just being stubborn or crazy when they stopped playing a couple months after the game came out; I realize now they may have just been prescient.

Especially since being made to play solo, I've seen all the problems this game has had up close and personal; and I feel like if it weren't being carried by excellent art design and Blizzard's name, you would've found Overwatch in the bargain bin less than 4 months after it's launch and it wouldn't even see it on Twitch's scroll.

Poor map design, bad character balance, exceptionally poor competitive balance (poorly telegraph attacks, attacks not matching their effects, abilities having nonsensical interactions etc.), very poor matchmaking.

The game is hard to enjoy even casually, as its so focused on it's design as a "team" game and competitive that it inhibits the things that typically make a game fun for casual.

It also combines the worst aspects of shooters *and* MOBAs - the ability to solo carry, yet somehow 1 terrible person can also cause 5 great players to lose - especially because of the focus on abilities and less on mechanical skill (ever notice how almost always the characters that can dominate through pure mechanical skill - McCree, Genji and Widow for example - get nerfed consistently but those who rely on abilities/are easy to use don't get touched or even buffed - IE: S76, Roadhog etc.?) for many characters.

I feel like a few of the Youtubers who have tried solo'ing it and made videos about it (UnitLost and Muselk come to mind) share the similar sentiment that I do;

Overwatch is a great game....*IF* you have friends on to consistently play with and distract you from all the game's issues. When forced to play it solo, or with no one distracting you from the game's issues (or if they are playing with you, noticing them too) the appeal of the game starts to quickly lose it's luster, if not outright fall apart (the same thing, I believe, that is happening to WoW incidentally, but that is another topic).

Without that, Overwatch quickly proves...less than it appears to be.
couldn't have said it better myself, although i'll try to toil away at this game until there's a decent balance and (imo) content pool.
To each there own. I'm the only one of my friends who still plays it. I've played since open beta and enjoy it to this day. I personally love it because it feels like there are so many ways I can improve at the game. So many characters that all interact in different ways with each other and the map. I really like learning all the different strategies.

That's just my opinion though. I can totally imagine the feeling of being in a rut. It's not a good one and it's good you're getting yourself out of it. I wish you best of luck wherever you end up.
I haven't played for at least a month, and I too was rabid about the game.

For me it's the incessant nerfs and buffs. You can never nail a character down, because they're just going to be tweaked or even completely reworked before you know it. It's ridiculous; like it's still in beta or something.

The slow map and game mode turnout is frustrating as well, but that wasn't near enough to push me away. The constant character alterations however ...
Honestly I feel the same way.

I barely play the game at this point, if anything I play it once a week to stop decay. I don't even know why I'm playing competitive to begin with, I'm a casual player at best..
It's called burnout bro. Take a break.

I'm sorry but your attack against Blizzard is the same attitude I see concerning literally EVERY game after it's year mark. We humans just naturally find ways to hate things after doing them for a while.
03/22/2017 06:35 AMPosted by Ktenologist
Sorry you feel that way about it OP. But some of us are strong enough to not give up so easily.

Lol so what you are saying is that you are able to trudge on? This isn't like hiking a mountain where you feel accomplished for hard work, there's no reward for "not giving up". Lol if you aren't having fun don't force yourself to keep playing.
I agree with OP in general and I want to add something.
One simple rule: if you bring 6 random people and somehow call them "team", they will not play as the team properly because of you did that.
You can call a "team" 6 people that are training together, know another one, know how to fulfill their roles. That can be called a team. Like in football.
This is all moba's problem, and OW has no differences in that meaning.
"Overwatch been one of the *worst* gaming experiences I've had."
Really? You must be new to gaming.

Guess you never played ET on the Atari 2600 or dozens of crappy NES, Genesis, SNES, PS 1,2,3,4, xbone, pc games.

Please take your hyperbole somewhere else.

Buh, bye!
This thread did it for me:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753517436#post-1

The director of this game cares about getting a fat bonus check, not making the players happy. Their priorities are all sorts of jacked up.
For me, it's more the fact that what made Overwatch its own unique thing, the whole switching and countering heroes, kind of backfired.

While it's really fun to be able to pick up any hero whenever you feel bored with some other, sometimes you really just want to play your main or something "off-meta" (like Widow) without being hard countered and trash talked. I often feel like I can't make a difference because the huge emphasis on team play. Even just as much as 1 person not doing their part (take a dc for example, you instantly know that you are going to lose when that happens). Many people just aren't being co-operative enough.

For example, back when I played WoW I could play my off-meta Combat Rogue and make it work for me. I could sometimes hard carry battlegrounds (granted this wasn't ranked or anything) and I miss being able to do that. I realize some people can make it work and climb but I consider those in a whole other league than me. >_>
03/22/2017 06:37 AMPosted by LtLatency
Team based game requires team work??? Shocking

Your great
I don't have friends. Anyone who adds me doesn't actually play with me again because of time differences. I have to solo queue. I lose constantly. I get called trash by everyone. I know I'd be above platinum if I could actually have a team. I have inactive party members and Genjis in the distance and I have to always play healer and always play tank and yeah. I have to play quickmatch all of the time because competitive gets me screamed at for literally everything. I'm a woman but no one believes I know who counters who and so when I request someone counter someone and recommend who can do it, everyone ignores me because I'm a woman. This game isn't fun for a solo queuer. I'm alone, I'm bored, I'm incredibly frustrated, and I'm regretting purchasing the game. Why would I want to feel like an idiot, be scored for it, because others are hateful.
Orisa is the only reason I still play this game.
yet somehow 1 terrible person can also cause 5 great players to lose - especially because of the focus on abilities and less on mechanical skill (ever notice how almost always the characters that can dominate through pure mechanical skill - McCree, Genji and Widow for example - get nerfed consistently but those who rely on abilities/are easy to use don't get touched or even buffed - IE: S76, Roadhog etc.?) for many characters.

Agree
03/22/2017 09:54 AMPosted by Threads
I don't have friends. Anyone who adds me doesn't actually play with me again because of time differences. I have to solo queue. I lose constantly. I get called trash by everyone. I know I'd be above platinum if I could actually have a team. I have inactive party members and Genjis in the distance and I have to always play healer and always play tank and yeah. I have to play quickmatch all of the time because competitive gets me screamed at for literally everything. I'm a woman but no one believes I know who counters who and so when I request someone counter someone and recommend who can do it, everyone ignores me because I'm a woman. This game isn't fun for a solo queuer. I'm alone, I'm bored, I'm incredibly frustrated, and I'm regretting purchasing the game. Why would I want to feel like an idiot, be scored for it, because others are hateful.

This is pretty much my experiance, too. I quit around christmas, but I still love the game enough to browse these forums and watch streams. :|
Well this is one the best games to play with friends ever. But when i play alone? Meh, if i didnt have friends to play with, this game would be long ago gone from house.
03/22/2017 09:52 AMPosted by mindghosts
For me, it's more the fact that what made Overwatch its own unique thing, the whole switching and countering heroes, kind of backfired.

While it's really fun to be able to pick up any hero whenever you feel bored with some other, sometimes you really just want to play your main or something "off-meta" (like Widow) without being hard countered and trash talked. I often feel like I can't make a difference because the huge emphasis on team play.

FYI, I made a thread about this back in beta, noting that this was probably going to be the #1 problem with the game.

It was kind of clear that it was a problem from dev talks about the game. They were always talking about all of these cool features they were trying out... but they had to remove them because they made people reluctant to switch characters. (One example, at one point you gained exp by playing characters and that was how you got cosmetics, rather than getting them randomly. This is clearly way better because this way cosmetics actually mean something). It never occurred to them that the way most people want to play the game is just to pick a character that they like or feel like playing and stick with it for a while. The entire time the game has been out they've been trying to fight human nature and it just ends up frustrating most people.