The New Decay System

Competitive Discussion
To put in a only slight different light, some people do have priorities beyond Overwatch yes. My thing is that I have a 10 hour job and try to fit my gaming around time with my girlfriend who has been harping me for playing so much lately. The moment I wake up I get ready for work and leave, I get home and make dinner and eat with my girlfriend. Usually I try to fit a game in. This is a normal every day routine for me now. Some times I just don't have the energy or stamina to play a game or don't have the time for comp. I find that the only enjoyable version of the game is comp though so to see myself drop because I'm tired is painful. The only joy I get from the game I can't keep up with unless I want to literally lose sleep over it. To make matters harder, especially this season, a game a day is more likely to drop your SR rather than playing a set this season more than any other if you aren't mentally ready for it and even then it's 50/50 due to leavers and throwers which makes the game even more unenjoyable.

I'm not saying it's impossible to play, I'm saying it's not good for some people's mental health. I paid money for a game that I like to play in a competitive level where I can hope for at least a little competence and meet some good people on the days I'm more free. I don't want to meet people that smell of desperation on their 6th game in a row running low on stamina and not being able to playing another round to his full ability. I might end up killing him with spite or he ends up being much more toxic because he feels the pressure to raise SR instead of letting it drop or more arguments and the such. In a way, some of us will be much worse off. And the competitive will be even more toxic than it currently is.

TL;DR

I feel this is going to make toxic players more abundant and this game isn't healthy for dedicated players that already have a limited time to play.
03/23/2017 01:40 PMPosted by okilian
How many games a week do you think is fair?

Rofl, 7 games a week is nothing. If you can't do that then you don't deserve a high rank.
07/28/2017 11:12 PMPosted by Darklite
Rofl, 7 games a week is nothing. If you can't do that then you don't deserve a high rank.

There are a myriad of reasons why "7 games a week, every week, all weeks" isn't feasible.

I've covered a significant number of reasons as to why Decay is an ill-advised, harmful and unfun mechanic to have in this game:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754406173

I would find it very interesting to see how the community would react if this rule was applied to all ranks equally...
Seven games a week is a perfectly reasonable amount of games for someone that cares enough to be 'competitive'. This stops people from getting into the top ranks very early on then quitting after like 20 games so they don't risk a loss. That's certainly a strategy, but it's a lame strategy. I think decay is fine, however, as per one of your suggestions however, I think it would be fine if they only applied it to the top 500. It's just really lame seeing supposed pros at the absolute pinnacle of ranks with like 15 games under their belt.

If you want the title, you should have to defend it.
its not a chore, you don't have to play comp.

comp is for players wanting to put a little more commitment in their game.

if you don't want that, there are others who will. comp is not your personal Vs, mode; there are other people in it.
i am just not enjoying the current season ... i have fun in QP, but that doesn't stop decay. i either play comp against my will or i decay back down to the place i worked to get out of. it's lose/lose for me ...
What new decay system ?
Like to see it the rate of decay lowered

But also... make it drop you to bronze and apply to all ranks.
I like the idea of a decay system, but the current version of it here definitely has it's flaws.

1 - It's too harsh. -50 SR per day equates to 2 losses. It's almost provides incentive for throwers since they decay punishment is worse than a loss. As long as they play a game they won't care if they win or lose because regardless it still won't be as bad as the alternative.

2 - There's too many player's being effected by it currently. - https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/global

Decay is meant to act as a safe-guard to make sure the player's up at the top deserve to be there. With this many people being dragged down to 3k (25% of all players) it's totally working against the systems true intentions.

3 - 7 days is not enough. Real life happens sometimes, and there are other games out there. A 1:1 ratio is too demanding on such a short window.

My suggestion is this:

- Drop it down to -25 SR per day (the same as the average loss)
- Raise the floor to Grand Master+
- Change the system so you have a 14 day threshold instead of 7, and 1 game every 2 days instead of 1:1.
you dont need to play 7 games a week. you can just play a few games and then you have 6 days to play a few more or you can play a few and have 5 or 6 days until decay and then play 1 r 2 to push back the decay time. everyone complaining about it either doesnt deserve diamond or above or they arent even in diamond
07/29/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Poptart
you can just play a few games and then you have 6 days to play a few more
That's not how it works. You gain 1 day for every game you play, up to a cap of 7. Then you lose 1 day for every day you don't play a game.

So say I play 10 games this weekend. My decay counter will be at 6d 23h 59m after my last game Sunday night (let's say 10pm).

I don't play Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, but I get on on Thursday. When I log in, I'll have 2d #h #m. If I play 3 games Thursday night, that will increase my counter back up to 4d #h #m.

But let's say I don't play during the week, nor on that upcoming weekend either. When that Sunday at 10pm comes around, I'll lose -50 SR instantly. -50 that Monday, Tuesday, etc.

So let's say I'm decaying right now. The last game I played was on Friday 10pm last week, today is Saturday 5pm. So I've lost -50 SR for 1 day of not playing. I play 2 games tonight last one played at 10pm, that will increase my decay counter back up to 2. So I'll start to decay again on Monday at 10pm.

It's too harsh, and it is a big deal. You don't even play Comp so I'm not sure why you're in the thread anyways.
Seriously, to everybody that says "7 games a week is perfectly reasonable":

A) Are you telling me you've been playing seven days a week, every week, since the game launched, non stop?

B) That you'd still feel the same if you wanted to take a holiday, were ill, had crunch time, wanted some time off OW comp, played another game, etc etc etc.

C) That you think it's OK to have Decay affect people who aren't even on a leaderboard?

D) Realised it didn't address any of the issues it was built to counter?

Seriously, if I told every QP player only that they'd have to play seven games a week or they'd start losing levels this forum would have burnt down by now. That's exactly how Decay feels for comp... :(
03/23/2017 05:22 AMPosted by Strangelove
Playing a game shouldn't become a chore for anyone at any rank. I'm not even affected by it but its unfair to mandate some of the best players to be forced to play or suffer the consequences of losing. Now for some players the new system may not be an issue but from what I can tell the vast majority of players have an issue with it. Blizzard really needs to reconsider a new system that can still challenge the very best players and not turn the game into a chore.

The problem is as was with the Elo system in MTG and other games. It starts to promote you not playing the game to in fact keep your rating intact.

Decay, is one method (not the only) to do this. I have seen and know people who did well in their placements and then play as few games as possible to keep their "higher" rank as bragging rights. People I known for years, who shouldn't be rated so high.
Seriously, to everybody that says "7 games a week is perfectly reasonable":

A) Are you telling me you've been playing seven days a week, every week, since the game launched, non stop?
7 games a week can be done in one day, first off, not 7 days a week every week since launch.

B) That you'd still feel the same if you wanted to take a holiday, were ill, had crunch time, wanted some time off OW comp, played another game, etc etc etc.
The decay is not severe, and even if you did you should easily be able to pull yourself up because the rating system is based on "personal skill". Major Holiday weeks should be exempted for their respective servers.

C) That you think it's OK to have Decay affect people who aren't even on a leaderboard?
I think there shouldn't be a special ruleset for the top players. It should affect all.

D) Realised it didn't address any of the issues it was built to counter?
It does counter inactivity to keep an improperly placed rank. (This Account was Diamond in S2 btw due to placements)

Seriously, if I told every QP player only that they'd have to play seven games a week or they'd start losing levels this forum would have burnt down by now. That's exactly how Decay feels for comp... :(

Levels doesn't mean skill level and you know it.

It's too harsh, and it is a big deal. You don't even play Comp so I'm not sure why you're in the thread anyways.

I just gained 78 points on a single win on a different account. 50 rating isn't severe unless you are barely holding ground
07/28/2017 11:12 PMPosted by Darklite

So you're pretty much saying that to get a high rank, you need to play often. Clearly from what you just said, you're saying no matter how good or bad you are, you get a diamond+ by playing over 7 games a week.

You're a moron, enjoy gold.
03/23/2017 04:20 PMPosted by FlyEaglesFly
My only request would be a counter so I can keep track. Did I play 3 games or 4 yesterday? Hell if I can remember. If you want to require a number, count it for me. Is it rolling every seven days or does it reset on tuesday like a lot of blizzard stuff does?

There is a counter, right click the competitive icon. Nub :P
03/23/2017 01:40 PMPosted by okilian
How many games a week do you think is fair?

like 5 games
03/23/2017 11:37 AMPosted by HammsammicH
03/23/2017 10:23 AMPosted by Bisquicks

It may not be hard for people with time like you but I'm an engineering student ant playing 7 games per week is almost impossible for me. From school, to the gym and then home to do homework for 3 hours straight. There is ABSOLUTELY no time to fit in 7 games unless I play all day for one of my days off that I can't afford because there's other things to do, not to mention that I don't need any more stress on top of that either. Competitive can be stressful especially if you have a toxic team, and I don't need 7 games worth of stress that I need to add on to my stressful schooling regimen as well. People have lives and Blizzard needs to understand that. If they reduced it to something like 3 games per week that is more manageable. Let's compromise here guys!

since your in school you understand, that you dont have time for everything. IMHO, the least thing you should be worried aobut in school is OW.

the operative word here is " competition" just like any sport it requires commetent. you dont join a school sport and not show up? if you dont have time for it. that woud be stupid. then you can reasonably expect a competitive system to wait on you.

all competitve games from T-ball to the superbowl have prime requsites for play.

i dont undrerstand your disconnect, unlesss you dont think you are playing with other REAL people?

OW is not some enigma pool of captive players for your personal enjoyment.

they want competitve to be real/logical for the E-sport side. where thier are rules, just like any other organization that holds events/games.

7 games, is a very low requirement by any measure.

the real problem is, playing means loosing. saying you dont have time for 7 games is a troll, or you REALLY dont have time, which means the problem is on your end.

bloody holiday excuse....thats a good one mate.

It's not like the whole community is waiting, or you have a team that you're holding back. It's based around you, your SR.
Levels doesn't mean skill level and you know it.

I just gained 78 points on a single win on a different account. 50 rating isn't severe unless you are barely holding ground

No it doesn't, but it does mean something people care about, which is the point I'm trying to make. Comp players care about their level, and sometimes not being able to play doesn't immediately equate to "you clearly don't care about it enough".

And again, yeah sure you get tons of SR when you start playing again, but depending on how much you've decayed, it could be quite a grind. An extra grind you might not feel like doing on top of the regular grind you'd have to do anyway to improve.

But let's ignore all that. There's also the fact while your SR drops, your MMR stays the same. So you are still being matched with players where your MMR was before you decayed - so what exactly is the point of it?

There's also the case that if you are a 4200 GM and decay down to 3000, you can actually group up with a gold/plat player. You can bring a plat/gold player to GM games, and/or bring GM player(s) to gold/plat games. It doesn't work either way.

As it is, and as I've explained in my thread, this system is just full of holes right now.