Smurfing is cheating. Stop downplaying it.

General Discussion
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next
04/10/2017 11:39 AMPosted by BauerPower24
Let's also distinguish -

An alternate account is where someone plays the game to the best of their ability and started a new account for a fresh start.

A smurf is an account created for the express purpose of beating new players and/or intentionally throw games.

I have an alternate account, so I can see how a fresh start MMR wise means to my game. But there are smurfs. Some are smurfing to get to a level where they can play with their friends again (SR gaps are too wide on their main account, for instance). But just having an account to throw games and make poor hero picks because they can is just bad form.
The problem with distinguishing them like this is that the original use of the word smurf was for an alt account and many people still use it for that. Anyways that also doesn't matter here as op's complaint is about high skill players fighting low skill players at all. So he would be just as unhappy from your alt as he would of your definition of smurf.
04/10/2017 11:40 AMPosted by ThisIsJustMe
04/10/2017 11:32 AMPosted by Knetog
I don't see a problem with smurf, they'll quickly win and raise back to where they usually play...

I think it's one of those thing that got put out to light that smurf is a thing and now many people thinks they are facing a smurf whenever their opponent is good.

The same way people spotted someone hacking and suddenly there's an hacker in all of my game!

They either raise too slow or there are TONS of smurfs right now. I had like 5 games in a row where I got wrecked with time left between 6-7 minutes... it's no fun anymore. And it was different teams on both sides for each time.

If they raise too slow it means they lose? Hence they aren't as invincible as people claim them to be?

I can understand that losing badly isn't fun but even in GM there's game where you will smash the other team and others you will get wrecked.. I'm mostly playing solo, by playing with random people, even if individually they are all good, it doesn't mean anything when it comes to team coordination which is the core part of the game.
04/10/2017 11:23 AMPosted by Poltergei
Would NFL players playing against high school kids be fair?
Analogy doesn't work, it would be more like if anything a varsity basketball player joining a pickup game of basketball at the local park. People aren't going to request the person get banned from the court because he is super good, most of the people are random and their skills vary a lot, and if they had a friend this works for the basketball analogy a lot better.
04/10/2017 11:05 AMPosted by Kezzerdrix
Is this a 10 IQ party? I dont remember sending the invites.
Your IQ is so low that you forgot you're the host.

04/10/2017 11:20 AMPosted by Kezzerdrix
The same guy, when told that 350+ upvotes means majority is asking for evidence of majority....
IT actually is not majority, and appeal to majority is a logical fallacy.

The guy cant understand that 350 upvotes in a forum where 1 downvote cancels 1 upvote means more people agree than disagree.
And you don't understand that forum goers are a small subset of the total audience.

But I am the delusional one?
You're finally on the right track.

Ill give you that I am not the wise one as I did not stick to my guns and ignore him from the start instead of arguing with him knowing that it would be like arguing with a dog that has no concept of life. I have resolved that since and ignored him and a couple others. It probably makes me a bit wiser than i was yesterday.
Classic. You have no defense so you're just going to pretend the other side isn't there while only listening to your side.
Confirmation bias.

Seriously dude, please get off of the internet.
04/10/2017 11:53 AMPosted by Goldenman
04/10/2017 11:23 AMPosted by Poltergei
Would NFL players playing against high school kids be fair?
Analogy doesn't work, it would be more like if anything a varsity basketball player joining a pickup game of basketball at the local park. People aren't going to request the person get banned from the court because he is super good, most of the people are random and their skills vary a lot, and if they had a friend this works for the basketball analogy a lot better.

the analogy is pushed to an extreme but I think a similar outcome would occur even with your analogy.
If there is always a "ringer" at the court, chances are, the lower skilled people will find something else to do or go somewhere else. if its once in a blue moon, you sort of just deal with it and laugh it off.

Its one of those things that becomes heavy over time.

A few people have had similar experiences to mine where they got crushed by smurfs 5 games in a row...thats rough man....when that happens, you just feel like maybe this game isnt worth it anymore. I havent actually played a game since that happened several days ago...it completely sucked the fun out of it for me.
okay. A lot of us hate smurfing. I know I do. But this thread is dead. Allow it to die.
this thread is exposure to bli$$ard
04/04/2017 04:39 PMPosted by DarkJMKnight
I think dealing with smurf accounts is a tough call. Is it a second account for a player, or actually a second person on the same system? How can they know?

Sure, selling additional accounts is also a bonus for them, but they don't want the game to be unplayable. Who will buy loot boxes then? :~)

Perhaps it could be added to the new Player Reporting system and the matchmaking system could take it into account somehow... Not that it would be a bannable abuse, but perhaps you get your virtual matchmaking level bumped up or something...
they could possibly use a phone number system like valve did with cs:go (this is JUST an idea :3)
04/05/2017 03:43 PMPosted by Kezzerdrix
04/05/2017 03:38 PMPosted by Shame

I'm just not dumb and bad enough to complain about stuff that makes no REAL difference.

It's just a player behind their monitor regardless of if it's account #1 or #2. Just kill them and quit being a !@#$ complainer?

Maybe your time is worthless and maybe your initial view of the game is the toxic view people just despise (IE: the guy who just wants frags...plays solitaire and ignores everyone else in a team based online game)

But for the rest of us....we dont like spending 5 games in a row getting murdered by some grandmaster genji smurf where we might get 10 kills if lucky in those 5 games, never touch an objective and waste about 40-50 mins of our time doing literally nothing but watching a 600pounds sumo wrestler sitting on a baby.

its unfun. We play games for fun. Guess what...many quit over !@#$ like that....im sure you dont give a crap because the only person who is important to you is you but here is the part that affects you/...the more of us leave the more time you have to wait in queue for a game.
If Blizzard dont want to do anything (cause they get $)well to bad for them.
Theyl just lost people. and anyway the matchmaking is already stupid so.
04/11/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Lily
If Blizzard dont want to do anything (cause they get $)well to bad for them.
Theyl just lost people. and anyway the matchmaking is already stupid so.

Cant disagree that they wont be motivated to make drastic changes but there is always hope for smaller changes that may have a positive impact.
So if I started playing Overwatch on another platform, would that be cheating?
04/11/2017 07:10 AMPosted by Psychosaki
So if I started playing Overwatch on another platform, would that be cheating?

Nope
which some people are doing and called smurfs for it im sure.

Blizz needs to implement a transfer option which not only would help prevent the skill reset and help matchmaking but also help you share skins / progress cross platform.
04/04/2017 03:34 PMPosted by Kezzerdrix
Its a plague in game now. Its especially worse in QP or arcade because the matchmaker will pair you vs a smurf level 20 with an actual level 20 player on your team.

My last 5 games were ruined by smurfs.
its a freaking plague worse than aimbots have ever been. it completely wrecks the matchmaking and any chance for MAYBE a fair game once in a while. The game was bad enough with snowball wins before but this is just taking it to a new level.

At which point do you take control of your game and take action?

Apologies. I have been gone so I have not read every post in this thread. But I will give you some thoughts.

I think there are two separate concepts:

1) Smurfing. I would define this as an experienced player buying a second account to reset their account progress and internal matchmaking rating (MMR)

2) Boosting. This is behavior some players engage in in Competitive Play where one player is more skilled than their partner and attempts to "carry" the lower skilled player to a higher skill tier.

Boosting is bad and we are very actively working on preventing and punishing this behavior. Rules like the 500 SR differential in Comp above Diamond exist because of Boosting. There is nothing about Boosting that is acceptable and we want you to know that we are taking great efforts to minimize the impact on "fair" players.

Smurfing -- and I know this isn't what you want to hear -- isn't really that big of an issue. For example, a few weeks ago one of the Pro Overwatch players created a smurf account and was streaming from it. We were able to watch his MMR internally and compare it against his "main" account. Within 15 games, the MMR's were equal. I know there is a very bad perception of Smurfing. But the reality is, skilled players are moved rapidly out of lower skill situations.

I've also personally witnessed a few cases of players assuming someone is smurfing when they are not. One of the people I play with is highly skilled. He played a ton in the beta. He works on the Heroes of the Storm team and plays Heroes most nights. But occasionally he comes and plays OW with us because he really enjoys the game. As a result, he is way lower level than we are. Most of us are 3-5 stars... and he is about level 30. Every time we group with him, someone accuses him of being a smurf. But he's not.

Anyway, we will always monitor deviant behavior and if we feel like there is behavior occurring that hurts honest, fair players, we will take action. We are definitely working on the boosting issue.
04/11/2017 08:27 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Its a plague in game now. Its especially worse in QP or arcade because the matchmaker will pair you vs a smurf level 20 with an actual level 20 player on your team.

its a freaking plague worse than aimbots have ever been. it completely wrecks the matchmaking and any chance for MAYBE a fair game once in a while. The game was bad enough with snowball wins before but this is just taking it to a new level.

Apologies. I have been gone so I have not read every post in this thread. But I will give you some thoughts.

1) Smurfing. I would define this as an experienced player buying a second account to reset their account progress and internal matchmaking rating (MMR)

2) Boosting. This is behavior some players engage in in Competitive Play where one player is more skilled than their partner and attempts to "carry" the lower skilled player to a higher skill tier.

Boosting is bad and we are very actively working on preventing and punishing this behavior. Rules like the 500 SR differential in Comp above Diamond exist because of Boosting. There is nothing about Boosting that is acceptable and we want you to know that we are taking great efforts to minimize the impact on "fair" players.

Smurfing -- and I know this isn't what you want to hear -- isn't really that big of an issue. For example, a few weeks ago one of the Pro Overwatch players created a smurf account and was streaming from it. We were able to watch his MMR internally and compare it against his "main" account. Within 15 games, the MMR's were equal. I know there is a very bad perception of Smurfing. But the reality is, skilled players are moved rapidly out of lower skill situations.

I've also personally witnessed a few cases of players assuming someone is smurfing when they are not. One of the people I play with is highly skilled. He played a ton in the beta. He works on the Heroes of the Storm team and plays Heroes most nights. But occasionally he comes and plays OW with us because he really enjoys the game. As a result, he is way lower level than we are. Most of us are 3-5 stars... and he is about level 30. Every time we group with him, someone accuses him of being a smurf. But he's not.

Anyway, we will always monitor deviant behavior and if we feel like there is behavior occurring that hurts honest, fair players, we will take action. We are definitely working on the boosting issue.
I love you

thanks for the response Jeff!

Oh thank God we got a post on this, like sincerely.
Love it. Thanks

Exactly my thoughts, Jeff! Thank you for that anecdote, thank you for your research into such matters and thank you for your response! Let's get Tracer in a bikini skin, too! Wooooooo! ♥♥♥