State of McCree: Continually Abjured by Developers

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
McCree is fine. Pulled a penta kill with the ult last night through Rein shield.

Sites like overbuff/masteroverwatch have skewed data. Using them for anything is, kindly put, pointless. As stated by Blizzard even. Example - The actual average medium is 2300 SR and only about 10% of the playerbase reaches diamond.

I like how you bring a random IDDQD statement but fail to realize that the dude plays it non-stop on his stream especially when his soldier doesn't work.

Fan the hammer is underused because of sheep mentality in this game. I use it all the time and it secures kills. You only need 4 shots to kill a 200 HP target. I know you think that the game should aim for you but come on now...

IMO the only change McCree needs, after playing him for awhile last night is barrier damage with Deadeye, like at the moment I think it ramps 120 damage per second, maybe a multiplier could be added if a shot hits a barrier (x2/x3) so that there would be a moment where McCree can catch you off guard for good.

But his overall damage is ... he hits like a truck and is way too easy to do damage if in proper range. I find it harder to DPS as soldier due to RNG recoil and sure 76's kit more than nullifies the disadvantage with his helix rocket and heal station if !@#$ gets hairy but the truth is, gun versus gun if Soldier's helix rocket is off cooldown he'll get eaten alive by McCree even if he has healing station on his feet. The headshot does too much damage and is relatively easy to hit.

Speaking of IDDQD

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlausibleOpenCurryBudStar
https://clips.twitch.tv/ReliableAthleticDunlinCharlietheUnicorn

Talk %^-*, get hit I guess.

McCree has insane skill ceiling and everybody not seeing this is a lameass noob and needs to git gut. You could be top 500 for all I care, but if you claim McCree is bad, you're a trash.
03/31/2017 01:17 AMPosted by Sk1ppeR
McCree is fine. Pulled a penta kill with the ult last night through Rein shield.

Sites like overbuff/masteroverwatch have skewed data. Using them for anything is, kindly put, pointless. As stated by Blizzard even. Example - The actual average medium is 2300 SR and only about 10% of the playerbase reaches diamond.

I like how you bring a random IDDQD statement but fail to realize that the dude plays it non-stop on his stream especially when his soldier doesn't work.

Fan the hammer is underused because of sheep mentality in this game. I use it all the time and it secures kills. You only need 4 shots to kill a 200 HP target. I know you think that the game should aim for you but come on now...

IMO the only change McCree needs, after playing him for awhile last night is barrier damage with Deadeye, like at the moment I think it ramps 120 damage per second, maybe a multiplier could be added if a shot hits a barrier (x2/x3) so that there would be a moment where McCree can catch you off guard for good.

But his overall damage is ... he hits like a truck and is way too easy to do damage if in proper range. I find it harder to DPS as soldier due to RNG recoil and sure 76's kit more than nullifies the disadvantage with his helix rocket and heal station if !@#$ gets hairy but the truth is, gun versus gun if Soldier's helix rocket is off cooldown he'll get eaten alive by McCree even if he has healing station on his feet. The headshot does too much damage and is relatively easy to hit.

Speaking of IDDQD

McCree has insane skill ceiling and everybody not seeing this is a lameass noob and needs to git gut. You could be top 500 for all I care, but if you claim McCree is bad, you're a trash.

I don't think anyone was asking for any major buffs, merely some simple quality of life improvements.

And I personally don't think McCree is "bad", but his flashbang is a bit lackluster. You can end up spending a significant portion of your game playing bait games with Genji, yet McCree is supposed to be a counter to Genji. Other thing for me is that the time between firing his ult and getting a kill is irritating to say the least.

The fact is, how many situations do you find yourself in where you think "McCree would be a better character for me to play right now"?
03/31/2017 01:27 AMPosted by Blacklite
The fact is, how many situations do you find yourself in where you think "McCree would be a better character for me to play right now"?

You are talking to a genji main, hello? he is scared sh!tless if mccree receives a buff of any kind. Just laugh at it.

Speaking of IDDQD

I don't think anyone was asking for any major buffs, merely some simple quality of life improvements.

And I personally don't think McCree is "bad", but his flashbang is a bit lackluster. You can end up spending a significant portion of your game playing bait games with Genji, yet McCree is supposed to be a counter to Genji. Other thing for me is that the time between firing his ult and getting a kill is irritating to say the least.

Counter doesn't automatically mean you should be able to kill the said character with your hand tied behind your back and this is what this community wants.

As someone who's been playing Genji for over 100 hours and fought my fair share of battles with Winston, yes, it's definitely a HUGE mind game. And I don't have much room for error if I intend to get out of that fight alive.

Same with Genji vs McCree and tracer versus mccree. Tracer will eat you alive if you miss the headshot after flashbang, but if she's close enough you can actually fan the hammer even if she's midair.

I don't know what's with the mindset of this forum that counters should be able to utterly destroy their "countees. Like ... how often do you see Pharah completely !@#$ting on 76 and McCree combined? Because I see that a lot. Pharmercy + zarya and a pharah that can aim can completely stomp hitscan players. Is Pharah OP? No. Not every Pharah can pull this off.

And about the ult, I've always found it exciting, but you can't just press Q and expect people to die off like they would if you press Q on a Reaper for example. Landing good 2-3 kills is easy on the cowboy. Sometimes that's all you need to snowball a fight. Sure you might not get PoTG for it but are you the type of person that cares about PoTG anyway?

03/31/2017 01:38 AMPosted by iSinner

You are talking to a genji main, hello? he is scared sh!tless if mccree receives a buff of any kind. Just laugh at it.

Genji main? You might want to check out my last 2 seasons before talking random bull!@#$ like you usually do.
I only play McCree in competitive. So , #fixhercowboy.

I ll be here for McCree all time..
Lurked on these threads before, but it's time I showed some support.

#fixhercowboy

You know what's funny? If you go on the competitive-themed subreddits for Overwatch and ask for McCree tips, you'll almost always get told to not even bother with Fan the Hammer or Deadeye. It's almost as if the game has evolved to the point where those abilities aren't useful anymore.
03/31/2017 01:45 AMPosted by Rhodium

#fixhercowboy

You know what's funny? If you go on the competitive-themed subreddits for Overwatch and ask for McCree tips, you'll almost always get told to not even bother with Fan the Hammer or Deadeye. It's almost as if the game has evolved to the point where those abilities aren't useful anymore.

Doesn't mean they are correct. It's the same thing with Pharah. She wasn't being played at all because "hurr durr pros shoot her down faster than a fly", give it few months, Blizzard even buffed soldier and what happens next? Pharah shows up in tournaments completely !@#$ting on the said competitive-themed fools.

And 3 months ago most people would of have you ask for Pharah buffs, and look at the forums now that people learned to play Pharah, especially around her counters. Pharah QQ thread every day.

When it comes to Overwatch I've noticed that the popular opinion is usually the bad opinion. Minus the bastion nerf. That one was on point, hand down, though I feel like they overdid it a bit. He's back to being a non-factor.

I play a lot together with a McCree main friend and before each match we always set up a 1v1 on ecopoint skirmish and we duke it out McCree vs Genji and whatnot. You'll be surprised how close those games are.
03/31/2017 01:50 AMPosted by Sk1ppeR
03/31/2017 01:45 AMPosted by Rhodium

#fixhercowboy

Doesn't mean they are correct. It's the same thing with Pharah. She wasn't being played at all because "hurr durr pros shoot her down faster than a fly", give it few months, Blizzard even buffed soldier and what happens next? Pharah shows up in tournaments completely !@#$ting on the said competitive-themed fools.

And 3 months ago most people would of have you ask for Pharah buffs, and look at the forums now that people learned to play Pharah, especially around her counters. Pharah QQ thread every day.

When it comes to Overwatch I've noticed that the popular opinion is usually the bad opinion. Minus the bastion nerf. That one was on point, hand down, though I feel like they overdid it a bit. He's back to being a non-factor.

I play a lot together with a McCree main friend and before each match we always set up a 1v1 on ecopoint skirmish and we duke it out McCree vs Genji and whatnot. You'll be surprised how close those games are.

Fair points, but it's worth also pointing out that in your IDDQD clips, he doesn't bother using those skills either.
MCCREE REWORK IDEAS

Heres an idea for a new ultimate:

McCree loads one revolver drum of golden bullets that deal twice the damage of his normal bullets (maybe set on a timer like Tactical Visor so you can't hold on to them forever), have no damage drop off and can pierce shields/barriers (they only pierce, not destroy them!) but only deal normal damage if they do.

Deadeye will always suck if every new tank gets some sort of shield/barrier, I think this could be a great alternative.

About his other abbilities:
Remove fan the hammer or flashbang (or both), instead give him a bottle of whiskey. Hold right click = Drinks out of the bottle and recovers 100 hp
Press right click = Throws the bottle (with low end lag) and can shoot it whilst it's in the air to make it blow up, dealing aoe damage. The bottle flies relatively slow so that McCree can shoot it before it collides with something, if it does it'll just break and won't do anything. This also prevents players from setting up "bottle traps" where you throw a bottle somewhere in the corner and wait until someone walks past and then blow it up. Both healing and the "molotov" should be tied to the same cooldown so that if you use one of them, you can't use the other one, you have to decide which one to use depending on the situation.

#fixhercowboy
inb4 Blizzard announcing McCree Buff tomorrow as a part of april jokes because they like McCree being a joke due to his name not being Roadhog, Soldier76 or Ana.
April fools patch notes will include buff for McCree, D.Va and Reaper + ultimate fixes for Mei(disappearing by death) and Genji (sometimes hits not counting)
I'm watching almost every IDDQD's streams, of course he is doing well with McCree,he's simply better than 90% of the guys he's facing.
Even without any abilities (no flash,no combar roll,no ult) he'd still dominate most of the games lol.
But if you ask him if McCree needs some tweaks he'll say yes,he does.

Now at equal skills, S76 is still a better pick, no matter what.
AKM,which is one of the best McCree switched to S76.
03/31/2017 02:03 AMPosted by Rhodium
03/31/2017 01:50 AMPosted by Sk1ppeR

Fair points, but it's worth also pointing out that in your IDDQD clips, he doesn't bother using those skills either.

So what are you suggesting? Nerfing the left click so FotH becomes prefered close fight option? Because buffing the damage of it would just turn McCree into a huge tank buster (as he was on launch). Even now 2 FoTHs leave hog really low, and he has 200 HP more than Zarya. And IDDQD uses his combat roll and flashbang quite often. As you can see he fights at max range and whenever he gets close he tosses the flashbang.
03/31/2017 02:27 AMPosted by iSinner
03/31/2017 01:38 AMPosted by Sk1ppeR
Genji main? You might want to check out my last 2 seasons before talking random bull!@#$ like you usually do.

Last time i read your posts was about that time, so no wonder i'm not current with your hero choices. Let's see... oh, so you main the meta heroes, and genji is just after them? and is still most played in QP, wow what a surprise!

It is nice to know that you have been sucking meta's dik quite consistently, and regularly. It is also interesting to know that your idiocy is not tied to bias, you are just idiot by nature. Who would have thought.

Okay, you may now go back to ignore trash bin, cheers love!

When all else fails - ad hominem ;) amirite?
03/30/2017 06:42 PMPosted by NotMcCree
McCree feels as if he has been set up for failure.

Yep. They already said they are open to removing heroes from the roster. McCree is that hero.
What do you think about current damage fall off? The problem I run into is even if you see a flanker coming from a mile away, it is very difficult to do significant damage until they get up close.

Would raising minimum damage from 20 -> 35 be too much of a buff?
03/31/2017 03:10 AMPosted by Met
What do you think about current damage fall off? The problem I run into is even if you see a flanker coming from a mile away, it is very difficult to do significant damage until they get up close.

Definitely not.

20 is way too low, 3 headshots should kill any 200 HP character,no matter the range.
03/31/2017 03:13 AMPosted by Lgtmr
03/31/2017 03:10 AMPosted by Met

Definitely not.

20 is way too low, 3 headshots should kill any 200 HP character,no matter the range.

I think the double range range nerf was too much (they nerfed min damage and damage fall off distance). If they had nerfed one or the other, he would probably be fine.
http://imgur.com/a/KEPJE

Except that, you missed the part where I openly agree that he is not wildly underpowered. Please, plug your toaster in and take a warm bath with it.
03/31/2017 04:52 AMPosted by NotMcCree

Except that, you missed the part where I openly agree that he is not wildly underpowered. Please, plug your toaster in and take a warm bath with it.

He can't forget his fresh cup of bleach in the morning.