One Mercy option that would be great to have.

General Discussion
So current Mercy has two options for her Guardian Angel target, prefer beam and simply who you are looking at. They both have their advantages, prefer target allowing you to move to people you don't have to look at, even being able to fly when target is out of line of sight, while having prefer beam target turned off lets you fly to targets other than your heal target without changing targets.

As someone who's used both extensively I feel comfortable saying prefer target tends to be superior because you don't need a target but having the option turned off is more fluid and lets you more easily acquire guardian angel targets. Neither is really better, but it does feel like the perfect solution exists somewhere between the two.

This is what I'm suggesting, and what I believe other Mercies have suggested. An option that lets Mercy fly to a target they have beam on but can't see, while also letting you fly to a target you're looking at, if you have one without dropping heal target. Not so much a prefer beam target as beam target being second priority after a visible target.

Having this option would be a great QoL addition for a lot of Mercy players, offering benefits for both without the disadvantages.
If only we had an extra button to use for this that isn't tied to an ability....
04/04/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Erras
If only we had an extra button to use for this that isn't tied to an ability....
I don't really think using Mercy's spare power button is necessary for this kind of thing. Prefer beam target already handles much of this function as is, it'd complicating it with an extra button press almost seems to defeat the point. It'd feel more organic and function more smoothly if you looking at someone while healing lets you fly to them, but not having a visual lock on someone while healing a little takes you to them.
Prefer target seems far superior for Mercies who prefer to combo with Pharah. I don't usually go Pharmercy, I'd rather combo with big tanks like D.Va because their high health and large hitboxes give me a bunch of ult charge. I use the manual targeting option, since those characters aren't too hard to target.
04/04/2017 04:07 PMPosted by DoctorLobo
Prefer target seems far superior for Mercies who prefer to combo with Pharah. I don't usually go Pharmercy, I'd rather combo with big tanks like D.Va because their high health and large hitboxes give me a bunch of ult charge. I use the manual targeting option, since those characters aren't too hard to target.
I've found it useful outside of that, but it does get a bit frustrating because I'm still so used to using Guardian Angel based on sight. This kind of option would pretty much be the best choice. The ease of use with prefer off, while being able to fly when out of line of sight.
I play with 'prefer target' off for the fluidity, but there are a lot of times where I'm dodging for my life in close quarters and wish that I could pull off the juking manuvers that I've seen from Mercies who use 'prefer target' to anchor them as they dodge all over the place.

When I actually try to play with 'prefer target' on, I either end up missing a lot of healing that I usually do by flying to a teammate while still healing another one, or get myself killed for staying in one area too long because I haven't finished healing my target.

I wish I could do both options.
Or we could do it:
Shift: Fly to an ally in your line of sight
E: Fly to the beam target
Both share the same cooldown
Plz Blizzard
Exactly! This is one of the biggest QoL changes I keep asking for! After playing 70ish hours with "prefer beam target off" I got very good at battlefield awareness and tracking team mates so that even pairing with Pharah was not an issue. However, after all that time I eventually turned it back on just because of the mobility options "prefer beam target" offers since her beam isn't nearly as strict with its targeting requirements as GA itself is, so it is much easier to save yourself from pits, get up ledges, dodge around corners etc. with it on. Especially when you are playing with randoms who don't pay enough attention to LoS and positioning...
But despite the advantages having it ALWAYS prefer the beam target doesn't feel as good while zipping between allies in a battle. Of course you get around it by simply releasing the heal before flying, but given that the heal beam takes a couple seconds to break it is nice to be able to leave it on the target as long as possible to give them as much healing as you can before moving on to the next person.
04/04/2017 04:48 PMPosted by Ajax
Exactly! This is one of the biggest QoL changes I keep asking for! After playing 70ish hours with "prefer beam target off" I got very good at battlefield awareness and tracking team mates so that even pairing with Pharah was not an issue.

However, after all that time I eventually turned it back on just because of the mobility options "prefer beam target" offers since her beam isn't nearly as strict with its targeting requirements as GA itself is, so it is much easier to save yourself from pits, get up ledges, dodge around corners etc. with it on. Especially when you are playing with randoms who don't pay enough attention to LoS and positioning...

But despite the advantages having it ALWAYS prefer the beam target doesn't feel as good while zipping between allies in a battle. Of course you get around it by simply releasing the heal before flying, but given that the heal beam takes a couple seconds to break it is nice to be able to leave it on the target as long as possible to give them as much healing as you can before moving on to the next person.

There. Now it's easier to read.
04/04/2017 04:48 PMPosted by Ajax
Exactly! This is one of the biggest QoL changes I keep asking for! After playing 70ish hours with "prefer beam target off" I got very good at battlefield awareness and tracking team mates so that even pairing with Pharah was not an issue.

However, after all that time I eventually turned it back on just because of the mobility options "prefer beam target" offers since her beam isn't nearly as strict with its targeting requirements as GA itself is, so it is much easier to save yourself from pits, get up ledges, dodge around corners etc. with it on. Especially when you are playing with randoms who don't pay enough attention to LoS and positioning...

Yeah, there's a nice fluidity to prefer beam being off, but the you clearly hinder yourself by using it by eliminating the ability to guardian angel when out of line of sight. Blinky released a new Mercy guide that details this pretty well. It opens up a lot of maneuvers that aren't possible when you require LoS.

This kind of addition wouldn't be a huge buff, currently you can use prefer beam target as if you had it off with some fast mouse movements, but it can feel a bit sloppy, having to drop heal target, guardian angel, then snap back to continue healing your former target. Something that joins the two would be a great addition that just helps the character's fluidity when evading.