Comp players should be skilled with one hero from each role

General Discussion
While some may disagree, I believe that competitive players should be skilled with at least one offensive hero, one defensive hero, one tank hero and one support hero, especially at lower tiers.

While I believe that there is nothing wrong with having a "main," I do believe that there is something wrong about not being able to play roles outside of your main.

To say "I'm not good as a tank or healer (on any other role), but I'll play as one to support the team," is a noble, but it is also discouraging and may do more harm than good.

Competitive is a game mode that requires adaptation, with only one each hero available to play as each game, and in a game where balanced team composition matters, players need to be able to play all roles well enough to support the team (at least in my opinion).

I would imagine that this problem probably doesn't exist at higher tiers such as plat. and above, so, it may appear as if I am stating the obvious, but a lower tiers, this is an predominant issue (especially since you can get to level 25 with only one hero).

I am not here to tell anyone how to play, I would only like to recommend that both new and experienced learn to skillfully play as at least one hero from each role in the case that their "main," "secondary" or even "tertiary" is selected by teammate, or in the case that the team doesn't need a hero from the role that your prefer to play.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you lol It's common sense at any elo that you should be comfortable with heros from each category

I'd fully support the idea of needing a certain number of hours on a hero from each category, but that'd never happen as it's probably seen as unfair or over-doing it
For DPS i go Reaper(rip), Mccree(also rip), trying out more Sombra, Junkrat. For Tanks its Rein most of the time and Winston when running dive. supports i can play all of them well.
03/26/2017 10:46 AMPosted by QueenSaltine
I don't think anyone disagrees with you lol It's common sense at any elo that you should be comfortable with heros from each category

I'd fully support the idea of needing a certain number of hours on a hero from each category, but that'd never happen as it's probably seen as unfair or over-doing it

I know it seems like common sense, but at lower tiers (and maybe even the higher tiers), there are many players who can only play one role or who cannot play a certain role for whatever reason, and will announce so on the mic or in the chat.

I don't want to be a prude, but I find this kind of annoying because team composition is essential to competitive, and there is so sense in playing if you can't fulfill all of the roles.
What I don't understand is how a player can feel like they're ready for a competitive mode in a fps game, but not have innate mastery over the simpler characters. Rein, hog, zarya, cowboy, soldier, tracer, reaper, bastion, junkrat, widow, hanzo, lucio, ana, probably more that I can't remember at the moment, should all be like second nature to anyone who is ready to play an fps competitively.
03/26/2017 10:42 AMPosted by s1ug
I would imagine that this problem probably doesn't exist at higher tiers such as plat. and above

You would think right? Nah it exist up here too lol
I understand where you are coming from, but very few people will be equally good at each class. As long as you have 4-5 heroes you are confident with in two different classes then there should be enough options for the team to be able to make it work. I would rather play with someone who has 30+ hours on a couple characters and minimal time with others, over someone who has 5 hours on everyone. That said, if you overspecialize and only learn one character or class then that is definitely a problem. Regardless of how good you are at that role.
For higher ranks (Diamond+) everyone should be able to play at least 2-3 DPS, 2 Tanks, and 2 Healers (a main and a secondary) imo.
03/29/2017 02:51 PMPosted by Gravyleg
What I don't understand is how a player can feel like they're ready for a competitive mode in a fps game, but not have innate mastery over the simpler characters. Rein, hog, zarya, cowboy, soldier, tracer, reaper, bastion, junkrat, widow, hanzo, lucio, ana, probably more that I can't remember at the moment, should all be like second nature to anyone who is ready to play an fps competitively.

At Bronze level. You can't have that level of mastery in high ranks.
I think not only the players need to do this but the game aswell give incentive to play other roles a better tutorial more explanation on each hero. A better practice range with instead off bots actual heroes who stand there so you can understand the hitboxes and what works best instead off some dumb bots who dont offer you any real practice.

There is so much depth in overwatch and we are pretty much left do discover it for ourselves.
03/29/2017 03:16 PMPosted by VclScore

Anyone should be able to pick up any one of the heroes I mentioned and play it in their the skill bracket where they belong. How can you not when these characters are so simple and straightforward? I understand if this is your first fps, that might be asking a lot, but if that's the case, why are you even playing competitive when you've never played an fps before? It's not as if the mechanics employed by these characters are revolutionary and haven't been experienced by anyone before. It's the same fps stuff wrapped in a different package, and any one who is ready to play an fps competitively should have implicit mastery over them.
03/29/2017 03:16 PMPosted by VclScore

Anyone should be able to pick up any one of the heroes I mentioned and play it in their the skill bracket where they belong. How can you not when these characters are so simple and straightforward? I understand if this is your first fps, that might be asking a lot, but if that's the case, why are you even playing competitive when you've never played an fps before? It's not as if the mechanics employed by these characters are revolutionary and haven't been experienced by anyone before. It's the same fps stuff wrapped in a different package, and any one who is ready to play an fps competitively should have implicit mastery over them.

This comment is so dumb I don't even know how to respond.
Yeah, 2-3 from each class would be great.

Plenty of times it has paid off to be confident with a few heroes from each class so I can adapt to the situation.
03/29/2017 03:14 PMPosted by VclScore
For higher ranks (Diamond+) everyone should be able to play at least 2-3 DPS, 2 Tanks, and 2 Healers (a main and a secondary) imo.
Not really, the higher people get the more they generally specialize into one - two heroes or one role. The same reason a lot of Masters and Grandmasters smurf to play other roles. The skills and knowledge needed to play any of the main roles don't really translate well to the others. Likewise mastering one style of offense in Hitscan or Projectile doesn't really translate well either.

The lower you are the easier it is to swap to another role and fulfill that role but in general you're going to be lackluster outside of your element. Most high level "flex" players usually only play 3 - 4 heroes themselves.
Unfortunately the idea is innately flawed (according to blizzard's own logic of tips and hero categories being merely suggestions).

I need to be skilled at a defense hero. But they are all trash. Why do I need to be gud at a defense hero if I'll never pick one?
I'm skilled at a support! Great! But wait -- that doesn't mean I know how to heal.
And so on...
My Hero Roster in order of "confidence":

- Solder 76 (Hate to admit it, he's my "best", but I hate playing him...)
- Lucio
- Ana
- Tracer
- McCree
- Reinhardt (I have problems hitting shatters. I think I'm okay with everything else on him, as long as my support understands that I am a very aggressive Rein player)
- Zenyatta
- Mei
- Winston
- Zarya (I'm working on her again)

Honestly, if your list doesn't look like that, and you're not like a GM level one trick pony, you don't belong in comp.

Being aware of their abilities, is one thing, but having them "mapped" in your head to thoughtless reactions is another.

I know every ability that every character has, I know their audio cues, I know their silhouettes, their footstep sounds, what their shots look like etc etc.

Doesn't mean I can pull a hook combo with hog without having to think about it. Hook, step, fire, melee. It's simple, but it's not automatic because I don't play him much.

Now Junkrat and Zarya, their actions are automatic for me. If I walk around a corner as Junk and come face-to-face with someone, they've got a nade in their face and we're both airborne from my conc mine before they can even blink.

I've recently started using Ana in QP if it looks like nobody else is going to go healer. My win rate with her is poor and I only have 8 hours on her so far, so I'm not ready to use her in comp. If it's needed, sure I'll try, and I'll damn well try my best, but it might not do us much good. I can't yet automatically sleep-dart a flanker or a nano-ult Genji. But given time I'll get there.

So what you call "innate mastery" is more than a couple of hours of farting around in quickplay, at least it is for me. And flipping between 13 different characters like you listed, with vastly different playstyles and responses to threats, is not something I can do instantly.

I made the conscious decision to diversify not just characters but archetypes so I can be relatively useful in any team, rather than just learning Soldier, McCree and Tracer, then grizzling when we have no tank.

But I'd rather play 2, 3, maybe 4 characters well, than 13, 18, 24 of them averagely.
I'm not that good at offense or defense but if I have to il go reaper/soldier most of the time il go Reinhardt Winston or lucio
Expecting the playerbase to be adequate in that many roles is absolutely unrealistic when most people can't communicate, aim, or look up and shoot the Pharah. 3 heroes in any role + non-PTR lucio is about as much as one can reasonably expect.
03/26/2017 10:42 AMPosted by s1ug
While some may disagree, I believe that competitive players should be skilled with at least one offensive hero, one defensive hero, one tank hero and one support hero, especially at lower tiers.

While I believe that there is nothing wrong with having a "main," I do believe that there is something wrong about not being able to play roles outside of your main.

To say "I'm not good as a tank or healer (on any other role), but I'll play as one to support the team," is a noble, but it is also discouraging and may do more harm than good.

Competitive is a game mode that requires adaptation, with only one each hero available to play as each game, and in a game where balanced team composition matters, players need to be able to play all roles well enough to support the team (at least in my opinion).

I would imagine that this problem probably doesn't exist at higher tiers such as plat. and above, so, it may appear as if I am stating the obvious, but a lower tiers, this is an predominant issue (especially since you can get to level 25 with only one hero).

I am not here to tell anyone how to play, I would only like to recommend that both new and experienced learn to skillfully play as at least one hero from each role in the case that their "main," "secondary" or even "tertiary" is selected by teammate, or in the case that the team doesn't need a hero from the role that your prefer to play.

I agree with this. For offense I'm good with Tracer & 76. For defense I'm good with Hanzo & Mei. For tank I'm good with Reing, Hog, Zarya. For healer I'm good with Ana & Zen