Why do people think Pharah is OP?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
03/26/2017 02:59 PMPosted by Powsen
03/26/2017 02:56 PMPosted by Strika10
She can be halfway across the map and still does maximum damage. To multiple enemies at once. How is that not OP?

I agree, rockets travel time is so short, I can't even react within these three full seconds. /s

It can be if you are distracted from the enemy team. Yeah, if you can focus on nothing but the Pharah, you can dodge her easily but in a team fight and her at long range, then good luck trying to dodge those rockets while also dealing with the rest of the enemy team.
03/26/2017 06:14 PMPosted by Urazz
03/26/2017 02:59 PMPosted by Powsen

I agree, rockets travel time is so short, I can't even react within these three full seconds. /s

It can be if you are distracted from the enemy team. Yeah, if you can focus on nothing but the Pharah, you can dodge her easily but in a team fight and her at long range, then good luck trying to dodge those rockets while also dealing with the rest of the enemy team.
Overwatch Basics class 101 - The art of attacking targets unaware of your position
03/26/2017 06:22 PMPosted by AKs0n
03/26/2017 06:14 PMPosted by Urazz
Overwatch Basics class 101 - The art of attacking targets unaware of your existence

But you said they're slow and avoidable, so which is it?
03/26/2017 06:24 PMPosted by Pendant
...Overwatch Basics class 101 - The art of attacking targets unaware of your existence

Overwatch Basics class 102 - the art of knowing your characters most effective range

Overwatch Basics class 102 - the art of knowing your characters most effective range

Didn't answer the question, but Ok.
She kind of forces the other team to run a S76 or McCree in order to have a chance at countering her. She can be a massive pain at the lower ranks because people don't really have the best aim.
03/26/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Pendant
03/26/2017 06:06 PMPosted by Gravyleg

A full second to fire. Not to travel to its destination. Please tell me you know the difference between velocity and fire rate or charge time.

Time is time. Or is Mei effectively stealthed to you until the projectile is actually loosed? Why do you not take the measures needed to protect yourself as soon as you spot her? Why do you give her time to line up her shot at her leisure?

Sounds like these are your own mistakes, buddy boy.

I'm not entirely sure why you're purposefully misrepresenting the facts or what, exactly, is the point you're trying to convey. Mei's icicle deals damage almost instantly after a short charge time, during which you can break line of sight. Pharah has a slowly moving rocket that fires instantly and can be consciously dodged after it's been fired.

The difference is that you have time to see the rocket and think about dodging, you don't get so see the icicle and then decide you'll dodge it. Either Mei messed up and it misses or she aimed true and it hits, there is no time to dodge. Unlike characters with hitscan or high velocity projectiles, pharah has to hope you're too bad to hit her, and too dumb to move away from the slowly moving projectile.
03/26/2017 06:42 PMPosted by Gravyleg
03/26/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Pendant

Time is time. Or is Mei effectively stealthed to you until the projectile is actually loosed? Why do you not take the measures needed to protect yourself as soon as you spot her? Why do you give her time to line up her shot at her leisure?

Sounds like these are your own mistakes, buddy boy.

I'm not entirely sure why you're purposefully misrepresenting the facts or what, exactly, is the point you're trying to convey. Mei's icicle deals damage almost instantly after a short charge time, during which you can break line of sight. Pharah has a slowly moving rocket that fires instantly and can be consciously dodged after it's been fired.

The difference is that you have time to see the rocket and think about dodging, you don't get so see the icicle and then decide you'll dodge it. Either Mei messed up and it misses or she aimed true and it hits, there is no time to dodge. Unlike characters with hitscan or high velocity projectiles, pharah has to hope you're too bad to hit her, and too dumb to move away from the slowly moving projectile.

The Pharah says, "get back."

Try it sometime.
Same problem I have with Junkrat, she can fire somewhere vaguely near you and kill you. It's annoying dying to someone that can't hit a target no matter how hard they try but just hitting the ground or wall near you is enough to kill you.
Because aiming is harrrrdddd.

No, seriously, people don't like having to look up, aim, and fire. They want an easy-mode counter where you can just press one button and magically ground/one-shot her.

I am no god-like Widow or anything close, but I have no problem countering Pharahs......Ana, Zen, and Soldier all can do it solo, or help. And almost everyone else on the roster can help in some way or another.
But again, people want easy.,
If you're not paying attention, you deserve to be killed by the rocket that was fired from across the map that took several seconds to get there. This is a competitive game. Players who are more aware and in tune with what's going on inside the game deserve to win.
03/26/2017 02:55 PMPosted by ŢheĿegend27
(I've made a post already showing my side on the argument)

I'm actually curious why people call her OP.
What is so "Overpowered" about her?

We have heroes that one shot every 8 seconds, we have heroes who can turn invisible, we got heroes that can heal through Hanzo ultimates, and we got heroes who can do nothing yet still have aimbot (Torbjorn), and we even got a hero with aimbot.
AND
if you do the math, the new lucio can do more damage than pharah
(I understand that it requires insane accuracy and so many headshots, but it is techniquely possible)

Yes her ult does the most damage in the game, but it's so much easier to get a team kill with an ult that doesn't do much damage (graviton surge) compared to Pharah's ult.

I'm not posting this to pick a side.
I only am posting this because I want an explanation:
How is she "OP"

I seriously don't understand that side of the big argument going on here on the forums.

The only person I think needs a nerf is Symmetra, because of so many things she can techniquely shoot through walls. And maybe soldier needs a nerf because of the sheer amount of damage he can do.

And overpowered means that she is so incredibly powerful compared to everyone else, and playing her gives your team an unfair advantage.
At least that is my perception of the definition.
If you play pharah you don't automatically win.

Get good at her counters and she should be easy to deal with.

Please don't like or dislike this post, only comment.
I want an answer, a good answer to my question.

Don't say things like "She can fly!" Or "She shoots rockets!" Or "She got a team kill once!" Because so many people can get a team kill, and every hero has their own special set of abilities.

Thanks for the feedback, whoever actually doesn't dislike this and say "She's OP just 'cause"
:u

So lets take skill vs counters. A top 500 winston can kill a plat reaper, A top 500 tracer can kill a plat torb, a top 500 genji can destroy a plat symmetra, a top 500 zen can kill a plat widow, etc. Now lets cover pharah: if the pharah knows how to fly, a top 500 symmetra, reaper, junkrat ( if she can fly high enough), winston, and other med-short range heroes struggle to kill her if they are even able to touch her at all. Reaper cannot touch her at all unless pharah badly screws up for example. This is bad design- no other hero is immune to being killed by the hero they counter if they know only the basics. At higher levels, even most long range heroes like soldier & mcree suffer from this issue as pharah has no drop off and can shrug off damage from farther ranges esp with a mercy at her side.

Because they're in Bronze, Silver, perhaps low Gold.

I know it sounds condescending, but that's where a halfway decent Pharah can really shine because people tend to aim poorly in lower ranks. Once you enter the ranks where people have honed their fine muscle control and settings to reliably land their shots, Pharah is no harder to deal with than any other 200 HP target. In fact, she is often easier to kill, as she flies around in the air where there is much less to use for cover.
I can't believe someone comparing Mei's icicle with Pharah's rocket..
Perhaps Mei's need a buff where her icicle has some splash and no dropoff..
03/26/2017 07:14 PMPosted by LiveSlow

I know it sounds condescending, but that's where a halfway decent Pharah can really shine because people tend to aim poorly in lower ranks. Once you enter the ranks where people have honed their fine muscle control and settings to reliably land their shots, Pharah is no harder to deal with than any other 200 HP target. In fact, she is often easier to kill, as she flies around in the air where there is much less to use for cover.

Cover is there for Pharah to use as much as anyone (more than nearly everyone actually because she can get to anywhere she wants with her mobility) if she eschews it and chooses to freely expose herself then that's on her. Some Pharah's, however, possess neurons. Or they don't, but sometimes Mercy is there to bail them out.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Cover is there for Pharah to use as much as anyone (more than nearly everyone actually because she can get to anywhere she wants with her mobility) if she eschews it and chooses to freely expose herself then that's on her. Some Pharah's, however, possess neurons. Or they don't, but sometimes Mercy is there to bail them out.

Well, I did say this was in Bronze through Gold. It's just as likely for a Pharah to make mistakes as it is for the one shooting at her to do the same.

I guess I'm not really sure what your point is.
...Overwatch Basics class 102 - the art of knowing your characters most effective range

Didn't answer the question, but Ok.
Depends on distance which I thought I made clear. If you're staying max distance firing hail mary's then yeah. Do you think it's more effective firing from close to mid range or long range firing slow traveling projectiles?
03/26/2017 07:52 PMPosted by LiveSlow

Well, I did say this was in Bronze through Gold. It's just as likely for a Pharah to make mistakes as it is for the one shooting at her to do the same.

The point is that Pharah is problematic at all ranks, not just low ranks.
03/26/2017 06:29 PMPosted by Nameless
She kind of forces the other team to run a S76 or McCree in order to have a chance at countering her. She can be a massive pain at the lower ranks because people don't really have the best aim.
That in itself might be the biggest problem w/ Pharah. People think only 2 characters work against her. When those are just 2/10 options to select from. Which should be plenty enough. Nobody should ever just demand 1 person nullify another character while you personally ignore them. If you have long range dps or can close the gap between then use it.

The point is that Pharah is problematic at all ranks, not just low ranks.
Well... you are Platinum so you must know for certain what is what at all Ranks.