Jeff, Reinhardt Is Ult is Inconsistent ( Video Proof )

General Discussion
03/28/2017 07:52 PMPosted by ThatBoiBuff

Im not talking about the shape... Im talking about the height hitbox is absurd and sometimes it climbs over short ledges of walls. Higher than payloads.
this isn't school, this is overwatch forums.

That's like saying Mei's Blizzard shouldn't freeze enemies over short ledges.

Mei's ult is a 3D sphere.

These things happen because it's 3D.

Loving these cone-shaped earthquakes that apparently exist. Teach me more. Are there tectonic cones involved? What's between the cones? How do such deeply rooted objects still bump into eachother and quake? Am I allowed to name my band 'tectonic cones,' or does Blizzard own a copywrite? Can a tectonic cone go inside of a traffic cone?

And what about these spherical blizzards? Do you just wander through the antarctic looking at the floating bubbles hoping you don't bump into one and freeze to death? What happens when too ice-bubbles collide? What sort of weather patterns form these? Are the warm fronts and cold fronts forming themselves into origami cranes? Do spherical blizzards have clouds snow and thunder too, or just ice?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS. THIS IS JUST THE SURFACE. PLEASE EXPLAAAAIIIIN!
The name is misleading so everyone assumes it's a 2D ground-based ult. It has nothing to do with Earthquakes and everything is in the description. What more do you need to know lol.
this is really annoying
03/28/2017 08:31 PMPosted by Exo
Today I learned that people don't understand that a hammer can hit you while it's traveling towards the ground.

Would be understandable if its point blank..but I've had my D.va ult knocked to the ground while im a distance away from him and off the ground.
https://gfycat.com/ImpartialDapperDorado

Honestly frustrating when it happens. The ult is very powerful as it is, all of the bugs supporting is just icing on the cake.
03/28/2017 08:41 PMPosted by Osho
The name is misleading so everyone assumes it's a 2D ground-based ult. It has nothing to do with Earthquakes and everything is in the description. What more do you need to know lol.

People are asking if it's balanced or op that way, not how it works...
03/28/2017 07:55 PMPosted by Rezbit
Yes. If you read the description, it says his ult is a cone.

Do you know what a cone is?

Actually, if you were to involve realism, its called EARTH SHATTER, not AIR SHATTER.

Even if a 1000 ton rock came crashing down from the sky, and you jump just a the right second, you won't feel a thing. You might feel a burst of kinetic energy, but otherwise nothing.

This includes Reinhardt's giant hammer.

If you're gonna play the realism card then based on the animation rocks would unquestionably be thrown up into the air which would knock them to the ground.
I think it could mainly use an aura or something that shows players the actual hitbox of the attack. A rework to actually make Earthshatter work like an earthquake (or anywhere near the current animation) would also be cool, but it might change the game too much. I.E. if you would follow the current animation precisely, it would go through shields.
First of all sucks obviously, but as long Reinhardt is top tier pick i aint gonna care, McCree would like to have a wordt with you btw.
People also seem to forget shockwaves here. A shockwave, in cone shape or not, will affect the area around it. So yah, maybe the graphics is just on the ground, but the shockwave would be all around it. Let's break it all down.

So, we don't have any real stats, but the heaviest weighted armor ever made was plate which came in on the high scale around 110 pounds. We'll get back to this one.

So, he's also the tallest at 7`4. That's with armor, but in the comic it shows him without armor still towering over the other guys. Going off of the approximate average height of men in the world, that is maybe 4 extra inches of armor height. Average height is 5 foot. So, judging from the comics, it's safe to assume he's about 7 foot...without armor.

So let's tackle weight. Rein is built. Especially for a 61 year old man. He has a body builder physique. So, judging from Ideal weight to height for body builders he should weigh in around 340 pounds of ROCK HARD MUSCLE! Damn.

So, we have a 7`4 man that weighs around 340 pounds with a potential 200 pound set of armor (not knowing exact here but it's def bigger then a full set of plate) and a big !@# hammer...so we need to tackle that one. Since we have nothing to really compare it to, let's choose an anvil. Middle grounds for them is about 250. And I'm sure there's some weight to the hammer's rod as well.

In total, almost 800 pounds combined. Someone much better at math at me could figure this one out, but missing a lot of information. The mass he's moving, the acceleration for starters. But, to easily move 800 pounds of weight into a force (the cause at the end by hitting the ground) would cause a massive amount of thrust of air. Enough to essentially stun anyone in that "cone" of affect in front of it.
03/28/2017 07:49 PMPosted by ThatBoiBuff
03/28/2017 07:47 PMPosted by Osho
There are some bugs associated with the ult, but stunning targets in the air is not a bug, it's an intended feature.

So a double jump genji SHOULD get stunned in mid air?

yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone

Im not talking about the shape... Im talking about the height hitbox is absurd and sometimes it climbs over short ledges of walls. Higher than payloads.

Similar to genji's deflect hitbox.

I don't think you know what cones and spheres are...
03/28/2017 07:55 PMPosted by Rezbit

Actually, if you were to involve realism, its called EARTH SHATTER, not AIR SHATTER.

Even if a 1000 ton rock came crashing down from the sky, and you jump just a the right second, you won't feel a thing. You might feel a burst of kinetic energy, but otherwise nothing.

This includes Reinhardt's giant hammer.

If a 1000-ton rock came crashing down from the sky, the crater would by miles wide and you would be dead.

Now, if we're taking complete realism, using Earthshatter on stone would cause thousands of stone shards to spear through any unarmored characters in the vicinity, leading to serious harm or death. Realism in games is a double-edged sword.

I agree it's stupid to be hit by ES when you're 4m in the air, but the ability shouldn't be counterable by jumping for goodness sake. It's an ultimate for a reason.
03/28/2017 07:47 PMPosted by Osho
Maybe you don't understand.

Reinhardt's Ult is a 3D cone, not a 2D triangle.

There are some bugs associated with the ult, but stunning targets in the air is not a bug, it's an intended feature.

The sad part is that you are right and at this point it is like arguing with a brick wall.
03/28/2017 08:12 PMPosted by Bnetplayer
In every one of the videos you posted, all the targets are well within the area of effect.

When an earthquake happens in real life, please be in the air when it happens so you can tell me if you can feel the EARTHSHATTER or not

... uhm you can't...

was this a serious statement??? lol I mean seriously...?

When was the last time you saw an airplane fall out of the sky because it was affected by an earthquake...? Just curious and asking for a friend...

I don't think you know what cones and spheres are...

some of you are arguing about the mechanics of the ability which isn't really what OP was even getting at. It's not a matter of him not understanding the difference between 2d and 3d. It's a matter of he feels it shouldn't affect those in the air, over ledges, etc.

I actually agree. I think Rein's ult has far too much range and reach when it comes to height. It should have an effect, but nowhere near as high as it currently is. No higher than say a single jump can get you, but just like Dva's ult, it should be stopped by any cover between you and the ult. That's the main problem I have with his ult honestly. Cover doesn't even break it many times and that's an issue/poor design in my opinion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone

Well, then you still fail either in SCHOOL or the OVERWATCH FORUMS to understand what a 3D projected cone looks like, and the area it covers.

When rein shatters, see that horizontal spread on the ground? See how large it is at the very end? That width is the DIAMETER of the imaginary circle at the end of the cone, and also extends ABOVE AND BELOW the beginning of this hammer point.

It DOES NOT MATTER than Genji used double jump, or triple jump, or 1000 jump, or Pharah has X amount of gas left in her jetpack, if the enemy players are within the area of effect of the cone, they will be knocked down. And I'd bet as long as 1 pixel of that character is within the cone they will be affected, which is why it sometimes looks like people are clearly out of the way, when in fact they are not.
You could be standing on a car, on a stop sign, on a kitten, it DOESN'T MATTER.

Earth shatter has a large range of 20 meters, and is fairly wide at the end [I don't have exact numbers but almost looks to be 15-20 meters wide] so the height above and below the very end of the shatter could very well extend 10 meters.

Long story short, stop arguing about it being broken, understand what a cone is, and learn to GTFO of his way when hes about to smash you.
reins ult uses a bunch of little projectiles that reach really high, if you look at it closely, when the ground shatters, you can see some light, and slow down some footage and the projectiles become obvious.

Which is why sometimes it looks like you hit someone, but they were just out of range of a projectile, IE, a small wall.
03/28/2017 07:44 PMPosted by Osho
Reinhardt's Ult is a 3D cone, not a 2D triangle.

It will stun target in the air.

Have a look at the width of the ult on the ground.

This is it's diameter.

Not sure why this is getting downvoted; he's just telling you the truth in how it works.

The graphic you see on the ground is not the only areas where you are affected by the ult. Imagine that same spot and expand the areas upward until you get something that looks like a giant wedge of cheese. If you're in that area you'll get hit by earthshatter (even if you're not standing on the ground).

It's not a bug. That's how they want it to work. If you have a problem with the mechanics then you're totally entitled to that opinion. But at least knowing how the move works will help you avoid it more in the future.