First time placement matches

Competitive Discussion
Hiya!

Could someone explain or offer ideas on what basis players are matched with and against each other when doing placements for the very first time, so no previous seasons in ranked?
How well you perform in quick play.
04/12/2017 02:12 PMPosted by Nyx
Hiya!

Could someone explain or offer ideas on what basis players are matched with and against each other when doing placements for the very first time, so no previous seasons in ranked?

Your first sequence of placement matches are based on your hidden MMR from Quick Play.

Now, every season you play after this will take your ending SR from the previous season and subtract, typically anywhere from 100-500, and that's how you'll be placed to start the new season. I'm telling you this now to hopefully avoid another post next season that says, "OMG I went 8-2 in placement and I placed lower! Fix it, Blizz!"

I see that you're level 21 US, and level 26 EU. If you're about to start comp, please don't, it's a mistake. There's no way that someone at level 25 is fully equipped to handle playing in comp matches at a decent level. I guarantee you'll place very low, and once you do, it takes so much time and effort to claw yourself out of that hole. Many of us can tell you from experience, myself included.

Do yourself a favor and play more Quick Play. Gain some more experience and versatility before hopping into competitive, so that way you'll be better prepared and probably won't be stuck in a low skill tier. Either way, best of luck.
04/12/2017 02:24 PMPosted by Manic
04/12/2017 02:12 PMPosted by Nyx
Hiya!

Your first sequence of placement matches are based on your hidden MMR from Quick Play.

Now, every season you play after this will take your ending SR from the previous season and subtract, typically anywhere from 100-500, and that's how you'll be placed to start the new season. I'm telling you this now to hopefully avoid another post next season that says, "OMG I went 8-2 in placement and I placed lower! Fix it, Blizz!"

I see that you're level 21 US, and level 26 EU. If you're about to start comp, please don't, it's a mistake. There's no way that someone at level 25 is fully equipped to handle playing in comp matches at a decent level. I guarantee you'll place very low, and once you do, it takes so much time and effort to claw yourself out of that hole. Many of us can tell you from experience, myself included.

Do yourself a favor and play more Quick Play. Gain some more experience and versatility before hopping into competitive, so that way you'll be better prepared and probably won't be stuck in a low skill tier. Either way, best of luck.

Nyx is actually my smurf account, I'm on a much higher level on my other account, so in terms of gameplay and game sense, I'm not at the level people usually are at 25. Thanks for the answers guys, I had no idea it was based on MMR from quick play :)
Quick play is kind of the "for fun" mode.

Your MMR in QP will depend on whether you played like a tryhard those first 25 levels, or were having fun.

Kind of sucks. I would consider smurfing myself for this very reason.
A follow up question: say that I will continue quick play for several levels and go full tryhard mode (i think the first 25 levels i was just using this smurf to try out new heroes etc. so wasn't taking it seriously..), will the MMR take into account also the quick plays I play after lvl 25? I've done 1 placement match but I don't want to do anymore before I get my quick play sh*t sorted out, I need to perform better in them. So in short, can I still save the situation by continuing to play quick play but with a completely different attitude, like play to win, pick heroes I'm good with etc? And THEN do the rest 9 placement matches and increase my chances to be placed higher?
On my ps4 account i was in masters (~3850sr). I switched to pc a few weeks ago. I went full tryhard mode on my first 25 lvl. Then i completed the placements with 5-5. Got placed in gold (2456sr). Two matches later i was in plat and currently i'm in diamond. But it still feels like i'm not even close to what i'm capable of so i guess i'll be back in masters soon.
I need a lot of advice
Is there a place where you can find your quick play mmr?
02/15/2018 05:16 AMPosted by aNewAccount

Not specifically. All you can do is look at the Sr of your opposition. Over several matches should average to your Mmr.
(some outliers, like being up against diamond 4 stack and getting butchered).
I wish I had known how it worked.

I almost aim to !@#$ around in QP some times. It’s not like I don’t try to win, but %^-* like spamming junkrat and then suicide bombing a bastion (not a bad strat, but clearly also for the lulz) was how I played, often while drinking.

Thing I don’t do in comp.

I’ll never, 100% never buy an alt for a ranking reset. But I’ll be damned if it isn’t taking forever to rank up. I just can’t play that much.
02/15/2018 05:16 AMPosted by aNewAccount

MMR is always hidden in order to protect it from manipulation, and because it's probably based on fairly opaque algorithms.

Don't worry too much about it heading into placements. The first few matches are usually a crapshoot, but if you perform well you'll typically end up somewhere in the vicinity of an appropriate rank.