Back at it again with the addressing sexual harassment

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Agree there is 100% a problem esp in comp matches the first thing that happens if a female sounding voice pipes up its almost inevitable something awful is going to be said to them and I think it's really naïve for people who don't experience it 24/7 to say it's not a problem. And to say that other people have it worse like the gentleman above astutely pointed out but that doesn't mean we can't do something to fix an issue that is totally tangible? There is a toxic environment for women in this game and I don't get why everyone is so quick to shut them down. Consider empathy for once?
My maid is cleaning my bathroom, so I can't take a shower
When I do, the water starts getting cold after an hour
I couldn't order off the breakfast menu, cause I slept in till two
Then I filled up on bread, didn't leave any room for tiramisu
Oh no, there's a pixel out in the corner of my laptop screen
I don't have any bills in my wallet small enough for the vending machine
Some idiot just called me up on the phone, what!? Don't they know how to text? OMG!
I got
First world, first world problems
(First world problems)
(First world problems)
I bought too many groceries for my refrigerator
Forgot my gardener's name, I'll have to ask him later
Tried to fast forward commercials, can't , I'm watching live TV
I'm pretty sure the cookies in this airport lounge ain't gluten-free
My barista didn't even bother to make a design in the foam on the top of my vanilla latte
(First world problems)
(First world problems)
Can't remember which car I drove to the mall
My Sonicare won't recharge, now I gotta brush my teeth like a neanderathal
The thread count on these cotton sheets has got me itching
My house is so big, I can't get WiFi in the kitchen
Uh, I had to buy something I didn't even need just so I could qualify for free shipping on Amazon
(First world problems)
(First world problems)
(First world problems)
(First world problems)
(Laughing)
04/17/2017 08:25 AMPosted by NASTYDAD
Agree there is 100% a problem esp in comp matches the first thing that happens if a female sounding voice pipes up its almost inevitable something awful is going to be said to them and I think it's really naïve for people who don't experience it 24/7 to say it's not a problem. And to say that other people have it worse like the gentleman above astutely pointed out but that doesn't mean we can't do something to fix an issue that is totally tangible? There is a toxic environment for women in this game and I don't get why everyone is so quick to shut them down. Consider empathy for once?

It's not that there is a lack of empathy. It's that there is a disdain for acting like it's something special to be treated badly by anonymous jerks on internet.

Men get treated badly too. Not because of their plumbing, but for other reasons beyond their control as well. Nobody feels the need to act like it's "special" and needs special treatment.

So that's why it's important to call BS on whiny victim girls that want to pretend they need special treatment to protect them. They don't. They can deal with it through the avenues the rest of us use. And no videogame company needs to make special rules for it. Being a jerk in-game to other players is a punishable offense, period. Doesn't matter if it's because she has a !@#$%^ or he has a funny voice or he sucks at the game.
04/17/2017 08:07 AMPosted by DreadyBear
It happens people are jerks don't act like this is new or even a thing that's going to go away also don't act like your the only one it's just such a selfish thing to think male or female

I never said I was the only one. Men also get sexually harassed and its inappropriate. I can only speak as a female though.

Why not do something about instead of just accepting it as the norm?
Sexual Harassment...Panda
04/17/2017 08:05 AMPosted by HarleyQ
Fight me behind a 7/11 Jeff Overwatch Kaplan. Square up and face the truth that theres a problem.

????
I've been playing since beta, played with several females, and I have yet to encounter a situation where one of them get harassed. stop with the lies. It may happen a few times but it's very rare.
04/17/2017 08:04 AMPosted by HarleyQ
So having played a good amount of competitive Ive dealt with the problem of sexual harassment. I'll define sexual harassment below.

sex·u·al ha·rass·ment
noun
harassment (typically of a woman) in a workplace, or other professional or social situation, involving the making of unwanted sexual advances or obscene remarks.
A lot of people say "Just mute them!" What if theres an important call out that I miss? Its not just them being "grill gamer" its sexual, down right creepy, and if said to a minor illegal.

My post was deleted but I'll say it again, no one wants to play a game were there constantly sexually harassed for an entire game without stopping. Give us a notification that you looked at our report! That something happened, that this person was punished in some way.

It feels like youre neglecting female fans of your game, like the only thing I could do to have something done is record what has happened and submit it to the police.

YOURE RESPONSIBLE IF ILLEGAL ACTIONS HAPPENING IN YOUR GAME

Sexual harassment is something that can only occur if you are being physically touched (like being slappe don the butt) and it has to occur MULTIPLE times to qualify as harassment, or a singular time with undeniable intent to make you feel unsafe and fearful.

With the exception of Stalking combined with threatening sexual comments, like i'll !***@!!@ you, etc, there isn't really a case where sexual harassment has come from just words that you don't like, which is why the definition you are talking about is not a legal one.

You are referencing H.R. (human resources) type definition for the workplace. But it has no legal power, and most of the time no company power unless they choose to enforce it. But the worst it can do to you is get you fired.
04/17/2017 08:10 AMPosted by Gio
Why are you still insisting on the sexual part? We are all harassed on the internet and we don't like it.

because the harassment is literally explicitly sexual due to gender you dunder!@#$. big difference between someone saying "you're %^-* garbage you noob uninstall" and "i'm going to threaten to physically sexually assault you specifically because of your perceived gender. i'm going to be disgusting and say things specifically to make you, a person i believe to be a girl, uncomfortable and upset, BECAUSE you are a girl and for no other reason."
but haha it's just Jokes welcome to the internet amirite xd
not like there are real people behind these remarks on both ends
04/17/2017 08:37 AMPosted by HarleyQ
04/17/2017 08:07 AMPosted by DreadyBear
It happens people are jerks don't act like this is new or even a thing that's going to go away also don't act like your the only one it's just such a selfish thing to think male or female

Why not do something about instead of just accepting it as the norm?

They did. They gave you the ability to mute and block whoever you want. They also give you the option to find people to play with instead of solo queuing and getting placed with toxic players.
04/17/2017 08:40 AMPosted by EliaTheBoss
I've been playing since beta, played with several females, and I have yet to encounter a situation where one of them get harassed. stop with the lies. It may happen a few times but it's very rare.

No, it DOES happen quite often.

But you know, it also happens that girls get treated BETTER than guys because they are girls. For as many times as there are nerds being "mean" to a teammate just because she's a girl, there are also lots of times when they get treated better. They aren't called out for sucking on DPS. They aren't ripped for narrowly missing that key rez or heal. They aren't berated for dying solo when the team was coming back from spawn. ETC ETC.

Them's the breaks. You don't hear any complaints from these chicks when they are getting positives from their gender instead of negatives.
Being a chic on mic, only thing i get "harassed" with is with friend requests and party invites. I don't actually ever remember running into someone who has genuinely said sexually harassing things to me in-game. If anything, guys are WAY nicer to me when they find out I'm a girl..
04/17/2017 08:40 AMPosted by EliaTheBoss

If youre playing with them in a group theyre less likely to be harassed because men respect men more, its just a fact.

When I solo queueing it happens far more often. What reason would I have to lie about it? Ive had it happen to me at least once a night and hear about it happening to my friends almost every day they play comp.
We are all harassed equally on the internet hell, even people will bring up and question the sexuality of others by calling them gay and such, get used to it. I was Desensitized to all of it from constant exposure from any competitive game, its gonna have trash talk of all kinds just to try get under your skin. Get over it and grow thicker skin and a backbone like everyone else. If you can't handle it then Overwatch isn't your game or you are too stubborn to hit mute.
04/17/2017 08:39 AMPosted by NotMcCree
Fight me behind a 7/11 Jeff Overwatch Kaplan. Square up and face the truth that theres a problem.

????

I wanna fight Jeff Kaplan my dude
If your thread was deleted, you're only getting in trouble by bringing up "Hey my thread was deleted!" here.
04/17/2017 08:08 AMPosted by AdderallGirl

Oh a troll who is a harley quinn wannabe.

Enjoy your forum vacation ❤️

Wow I like a comic book character oh no

nice edgy name btw
04/17/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Hound
04/17/2017 08:04 AMPosted by HarleyQ
It feels like youre neglecting female fans of your game, like the only thing I could do to have something done is record what has happened and submit it to the police.

That's absurd...

Quit trying to over exaggerate things, it's A GAME.

Its a game being played by real people. Very real people are saying it to very real people.
04/17/2017 08:53 AMPosted by HarleyQ
04/17/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Hound

That's absurd...

Quit trying to over exaggerate things, it's A GAME.

Its a game being played by real people. Very real people are saying it to very real people.

Then you report them like any other !@#$%^-* in this game.

You got the thinnest skin. Block and report, or you're just a troll.