MMR reset

Competitive Discussion
MMR should be a representation of a certain time period like the last 30 days, or 60, 90, whatever, not your whole career.

I had minimal FPS experience before OW. My friends had tons. I do not know exactly how MMR is calculated, but I do know how my games go:

SoloQ comp is a crap shoot with good teams, bad teams, leavers, trolls, smurfs on both sides.

Group comp feels right. Games are realistic, but challenging for the most part.

SoloQ QP is a joke. I destroy everyone. I believe this is because my MMR is still very low. I know people play off main in QP, but so do I.

Group QP is just random.

I'm no pro, but I have improved. However, it feels like my MMR is not catching up.
Once I stopped crying and being a moron I realized it was time for me to play my best in solo q and get gains.

Once I approached comp with a beginners mindset I basically only win and no longer become tilted in a loss. I have ascended from silver into plat.
04/14/2017 06:44 AMPosted by Withering
04/14/2017 03:26 AMPosted by pr1mus

there are no cases of high ranked players stuck at low rank, you are "stuck" because you aren't good enough to climb.

everyone deals with this, it's not an a good argument for MMR reset.

again, everyone deals with this, incompetence isn't a thing that is mutually exclusive to just one portion of the player base.

yeah, because Overwatch updates are a big factor whether someone gets stuck in elo hell.

it depends how much of the point the attacking team captures, if they never even touched the point, then yeah; they probably DESERVE to lose, how is it unfair for a team that plays objectively worse to lose the game?

lmao

Example A: A grandmaster afraid to loose his rank

Or you know, maybe he worked his !@# off to climb to that point and sees that it's counter productive to reset every season. You imply that getting to GM is easy and all about luck, yet you can't even hit Diamond (which IMO is the rank where people JUST begin to not have the aim and game sense if 5 year olds).
It's usually not mechanical skill holding people back. It's attitude and mental awareness. Positivity goes a long way and working within your team is super important. Just keep working on that and you will win more
04/14/2017 03:11 AMPosted by putka
04/14/2017 01:44 AMPosted by Withering
Some players literally get stuck where they are, even if they drastically improve

Nope.

Resetting won't help you climb higher, you're delusional.

A full reset would just result in months-long ridiculous matchmaking with bronzes and GMs in the same games.

You're not stuck, you have no place in higher SR. You also don't need to climb. There's absolutely no reason for it. It's not a progression system.

What do you mean by "bronzes and GM's in the same game"? If you really are a GM player you will be matched with GM players after placements.
I don't know about a complete wipe of MMR, but a more "up to date" MMR being used to place you would be nice. If you've been playing since release and your play from last May when you maybe weren't as good at the game is still affecting your MMR, well that just simply shouldn't be the case. You shouldn't need to buy a "smurf" account to update your MMR. I know Jeff said they were watching a Pro streamer play on a smurf and his MMR went right back to the same level as his main, but I doubt very much that that pro player played at a different level back in May.

Anecdotally, I have made quite a few mechanical changes to my sensitivity, key bindings, etc. throughout the months. Its helped me get mechanically better. My accuracy percentages in QP have been a lot higher than my average the last few months, but my average stays so low because I don't play quickplay nearly as much as I used to at launch.

I think an MMR update to the last 100 hours played, or the last 6 months played, whichever "fills up" first, would be great when doing placements.
04/14/2017 01:44 AMPosted by Withering
Some players literally get stuck where they are, even if they drastically improve

Nope.

A full reset would just result in months-long ridiculous matchmaking with bronzes and GMs in the same games.

You're not stuck, you have no place in higher SR. You also don't need to climb. There's absolutely no reason for it. It's not a progression system.

No idea why you're being thumbed down. This was exactly the problem in season 2, with the middle ranks swelled causing imbalanced, unfun matches. Resetting SR/MMR will just cause months of frustration. The system has calibrated players and taken in so much data to assure its close to accurate. Why throw all that away?

If you're better than your rank, you will climb in time. I've been around the same rank for a few months now, and that's because I belong here. I'm not going to complain about the matchmaking system just because I "feel" like I deserve GM
04/14/2017 12:48 PMPosted by DDoc

Nope.

No idea why you're being thumbed down. This was exactly the problem in season 2, with the middle ranks swelled causing imbalanced, unfun matches. Resetting SR/MMR will just cause months of frustration. The system has calibrated players and taken in so much data to assure its close to accurate. Why throw all that away?

If you're better than your rank, you will climb in time. I've been around the same rank for a few months now, and that's because I belong here. I'm not going to complain about the matchmaking system just because I "feel" like I deserve GM

Probably because it's not exactly true. This has been proven false by people buying a new account, and getting a way higher SR than the main account. This has happened many times and I believe is the reason for the influx of what people are calling "smurfs".
04/14/2017 12:52 PMPosted by Zaximus

Probably because it's not exactly true. This has been proven false by people buying a new account, and getting a way higher SR than the main account. This has happened many times and I believe is the reason for the influx of what people are calling "smurfs".

The reason people on fresh accounts place higher than their original is because of how easy it is to artificially inflate your MMR on a fresh account, given enough time those people will probably fall back down to their original rank or close to it (within 100 SR)
The current matchmaker is not even working properly half the time with determined rank, you expect it to WORK with non-determined rank?
Talk about dreaming, hmm...
04/14/2017 12:52 PMPosted by Zaximus

And if those players that buy new accounts play consistently on it, they'll get sent right back down where they belong. Just cause after you play your placements and you get placed higher than your main account it doesn't mean the system is flawed. Guranteed every single one of those players will tank right back down. There is so many of these !@#$ posts of people saying they feel like they should be "x" rank but they're stuck in silver on this forum. If you truly belong at the rank you claim you should be, then you'll climb. It literally doesn't get any simpler then that.