German Voice of Pharah replaced without her knowledge

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
04/12/2017 01:56 PMPosted by Karlheinz
04/12/2017 12:54 PMPosted by ZSSenpai
Blizzard did this to the English VA for Mercy during the beta. It's not cool, but it's showbiz.

but then her VA sounded too old,it was justified.

The new one actually sounds better.

And can speak german/swiss german fluently,something that the other one couldn't do

Not to mention that the Beta is something different then the final game and then replacing a voice a year after the release. Changes happen all the time in a Beta, that's expected but such a major change to a character such a long time after the release, without any explanation or need?
i sense nepotism on the german team
04/12/2017 12:45 PMPosted by oHgR
I have an unrelated question: why choose dubbing over original actors that were hand-picked for the roles by the games creators?

People who rely on dubbing always baffled me. Why have "Generic german voice acrtor with no major accomplishments #43" over Terry Crews for instance? What is the deal here?

I generally prefer to watch or play everything in its original (not always english btw) because of my love for languages.

However, german voice actors are very professional and outperform a ton of subpar english or american actors on a regular basis. Their track record is worse with video games but still about as good or bad as english VAs.

Consider cultural context as well. We are familiar enough with 'murica to not miss significant context with a dub. For example, chinese cinema is very different in this regard. This is why asian->western dubs tend to suck hidden donkey punching dragon balls.

Pharah's german VA is good, i really don't get it. Sure, replace Genji's (the mere fact that german Genji mains exist is a mystery to me, do they mute the game...?) but this is a weird move.
04/12/2017 02:37 PMPosted by Karlheinz
i sense nepotism on the german team

I don't think so.

The localization department is in Versaille, France:

https://eu.battle.net/forums/de/overwatch/topic/17614292541

And what's important:
Blizzard-Mitarbeiter organisieren und begleiten dabei die Aufnahmen vom Casting bis zur Post-Production.

"Blizzard employees organise and accompany all recordings from casting to post-production."

Since some people are not sure if it's a third party decision or if (someone at) Blizzard is responsible.
I have an unrelated question: why choose dubbing over original actors that were hand-picked for the roles by the games creators?

People who rely on dubbing always baffled me. Why have "Generic german voice acrtor with no major accomplishments #43" over Terry Crews for instance? What is the deal here?

It's the same with movies- you watch a movie with a famous actors face yet ZERO of his diction, accent or voice quirks just for the "convenience" of not having to read subtitles or learning the most common language in ANY entertainment-English?

To answer your question though: I guess she was replaced because no one cares about sub-par voice actors being shuffled around.(and the uproar is because people ALWAYS lean towards what they heard first- same goes with music/covers- so it's all in your head most likely)

Because a second language will never be you main language. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger: "Get to the choppa!"
The first time I heard her new voice I immediately felt uncomfortable
04/12/2017 12:57 PMPosted by Destian
04/12/2017 12:54 PMPosted by cricri3007

I'd really love "foreign" dubbers to appear at Blizzcon or something.
Let's see what Mattew Mercer thinks of Boris Stuhlinger.

Ha! Seeing "McCrees of the world" all getting together in one place would be amazing...
I'm not your friend guy
i'm not your guy pal
i'm not your pal amigo
i'm not you amigo ect ect ect
04/12/2017 12:51 PMPosted by Destian
As a voice actor, my blood turned to ice when I read the OP.

[/quote]
Blazblue Central Fiction won't have an english voice cast at all

they were very proactive too to the point of the ragna voice actor getting everyone together to dub the sub par anime for english speakers

they were not even legitimately informed that there would be no English dub

fans found the information on the publishers twitter as they tweeted it and informed the english voice cast themselves

So the english voice actors put up a petition for english voice acting in Central Fiction hoping they could finish the series they helped start

it's seriously ridiculous
04/12/2017 06:15 PMPosted by SirRender
04/12/2017 12:51 PMPosted by Destian
As a voice actor, my blood turned to ice when I read the OP.

[/quote]

Blazblue Central Fiction won't have an english voice cast at all

they were very proactive too to the point of the ragna voice actor getting everyone together to dub the sub par anime for english speakers

they were not even legitimately informed that there would be no English dub

fans found the information on the publishers twitter as they tweeted it and informed the english voice cast themselves

So the english voice actors put up a petition for english voice acting in Central Fiction hoping they could finish the series they helped start

it's seriously ridiculous

Yeah, this is entirely too common.

Billy West, voice of Phillip Fry, Red M&M, and a hojillion other roles, was the voice of Bugs Bunny in "Space Jam" and told the story about how they actually held TWO premiers for the movie: one for the live actors, and a much, MUCH crappier one for the voice talents.

Voice talents being treated poorly is some kind of tradition at this point, I guess...
Blizzard please help your german Community.
The only thing we want is a statement why Ghadel Ghadah Al Akel baseless replaced....

Thank you!
I do voice acting too and i think Blizzard should answer this.
The old voice was perfect, the new one sounds like my grandma when she is totally bored !!!
Am i only one who enjoyed the change? Old Phara was so nervous and uncomfortable to hear in long game sessions, i was really tired of her. And now i feel fresh air, that does not distract from game and does not annoy me.
Not cool, but we don't know any details. Might be her management f*cking up to secure a new deal. There's always a middle-man, Blizzard surely doesn't record all the different language VOs in their own studio. I don't play with the German dub on although I am German. Nothing beats the original voice actors.
04/12/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Destian
Voice talents being treated poorly is some kind of tradition at this point, I guess...

Unfortunately, it is. Most people have no respect for voice actors. You know why crappy dubs are so common even in big budget productions? Because the prevailing attitude is "It's just talking into a microphone. Anyone can do that. It's not like it takes talent or anything. Just get whoever's cheapest."

It sucks, because VA work is no less important to productions than the work of live actors, but sadly this the way people feel about it.
04/12/2017 12:58 PMPosted by Zane

Germans are fond of dubbing. It's called "having a different culture".. maybe you should try and wrap your mind around that. Your comments may not be intentionally rude, but it comes across as extremely crass and degrading towards other cultures and people.

What? Not to detract from the rest of the post, which I agree with, but in what world are "Germans fond of dubbing"? Most people I know watch everything in the original language, and have a particular dislike of dubbing. There was even an article in SPIEGEL the other day that talked about how one of their authors was regularly looked at strange for saying she likes dubbing. It's the exception, not the rule.
04/13/2017 01:25 AMPosted by Packrat
04/12/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Destian

Unfortunately, it is. Most people have no respect for voice actors. You know why crappy dubs are so common even in big budget productions? Because the prevailing attitude is "It's just talking into a microphone. Anyone can do that. It's not like it takes talent or anything. Just get whoever's cheapest."

It sucks, because VA work is no less important to productions than the work of live actors, but sadly this the way people feel about it.

I'd argue that Voice Acting work is harder because with very few exceptions (MoCap setups like The Last of Us), the actor has convey every emotion with only their voice. They can't rely on body language or facial expressions to help convey emotions like on screen actors can. It's 100% in the voice and even more difficult, Voice Actors will often times record their lines completely separate from the other talent so unlike on screen actors who can work off of each other to improve their performances, often times Voice Actors have to imagine the scene in their head and have no other talent to work together with.
04/13/2017 01:33 AMPosted by gfhds
04/12/2017 12:58 PMPosted by Zane

Germans are fond of dubbing. It's called "having a different culture".. maybe you should try and wrap your mind around that. Your comments may not be intentionally rude, but it comes across as extremely crass and degrading towards other cultures and people.

What? Not to detract from the rest of the post, which I agree with, but in what world are "Germans fond of dubbing"? Most people I know watch everything in the original language, and have a particular dislike of dubbing. There was even an article in SPIEGEL the other day that talked about how one of their authors was regularly looked at strange for saying she likes dubbing. It's the exception, not the rule.

You shouldn't forget that SPIEGEL Online is one of the biggest German news outlets and therefore pretty international. They are journalists that have to do with the english language on a daily basis. But SPON is the exception, not the rule. The average German is not working in an international environment, nor does every German speak, read and hear english (or other languages) so fluent that they consume media in the original language. I think it's not wrong to say that there is an elitistic, puristic group of people but they are not the majority of the consumers of books, games or tv shows. Not to mention that there is a whole lot of people in between like myself, who watch Game of Thrones in English but i.e. Durarara!! in German.

Maybe it's not right to say that Germans are fond of dubbing in general but Germans are fond of their voices. When the voice of Mulder in the new X-Files series changed it resulted in an outcry. As Disney changed the voice of Ariel in The Little Mermaid and the movie was shown last year on TV (saying it will feature the original voice), tons of Germans expressed their anger on all forms of media. It was a huge !@#$storm, considering how quiet the German usually is in regards to what happens in the TV.
I really hope that Jeff sees this, even if he is not directly involved with the german VA
German voices are a nightmare.
Tried once Tracer...
Shutdown client
Installed English

Solltest du auch.
04/13/2017 03:41 AMPosted by ZombieFX
German voices are a nightmare.
Tried once Tracer...
Shutdown client
Installed English

Solltest du auch.
So, because you can't enjoy the german dub, nobody else should?
I'm totally fine with people not liking the german version of the game, but you're just being a douche right now.