McCree vs. Genji: Who takes more skill to play?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Lol @ the people saying McCree.

Genji requires huge micro management for his abilities(And that includes his passive) plus he has a projectile weapon(And that requires predicting which is even harder to master). Genji's overall damage becomes utter trash if he uses deflect wrong.

Knowing, when to use deflect, dash, left or right click, and when to wall climb is much more difficult than having good aim.

Yes, Genji is way more forgiving, but that doesn't directly mean he is easier. Those are two completely different things.
McCree is with no doubt one of the hardest heroes to play, but he is in no way harder to play than Genji.
With McCree you're basically playing with a broken kit. You have to have very good aim and know your surrounds as you can't escape well like Genji.

However with Genji you're playing with a bugged kit, while constantly on the move. Mobility with aim is very hard but with all of the inconsistencies of Genji it makes it harder.
For me personally I fine Mcree more difficult but the thing is it really depends. It's a mixture of personal skills and habits. For me genjis easier because I came from Mobas and this is my first ever Fps I've played consistently since csgo for about a month. Mcrees pure aim skill being needed is probably not even by biggest struggle with him, it's the fact that he has a huge hit box and a lack of mobility, with his ult being a suicide button adding into it. Some of this could be credited to the fact that he's under powered atm but he's still the harder character to play for me personally. It still really depends as I've seen a lot more "good" Mcrees then good genjis.
04/17/2017 10:28 AMPosted by Dismas

Genji requires huge micro management for his abilities(And that includes his passive) plus he has a projectile weapon(And that requires predicting which is even harder to master). Genji's overall damage becomes utter trash if he uses deflect wrong.

Knowing, when to use deflect, dash, left or right click, and when to wall climb is much more difficult than having good aim.

Yes, Genji is way more forgiving, but that doesn't directly mean he is easier. Those are two completely different things.
McCree is with no doubt one of the hardest heroes to play, but he is in no way harder to play than Genji.

sure dude...
as we watch every 9 year old in QP autolock Genji and do well with him because he is naturally super hard to hit and can always land shots with is spread attack. Not to mention his ult which almost always gets multiple kills unless the player is stupid enough to start it with no health.
ITT: People conflate a learning curve with skill.

Just because something is more complicated, does not mean it takes more skill. Skill is determined by how well you can make a kit work for you, and how difficult it is to make that kit work.

McCree has a crappy kit. If the player can make his difficult kit work against heroes with stronger kits, that means they are more skilled than the player with the better kit.

Genji has one of the most forgiving kits in the game. If a Genji loses to a McCree, it's because the McCree is straight up better than them. Not even by a small amount, but by a significant margin. Genji is easy to play well because his kit makes it easy.

Those of you who are equating higher mobility with higher difficulty in movement economy are just plain dumb. That's not how it works. It's the exact opposite. Torbjorn takes a lot of movement economy skill, because he moves very slowly and is easily punished for breaking cover. Genji is among the easiest, if not the easiest, movement economy heroes currently in the game.

Absolutely baffling.
04/17/2017 10:33 AMPosted by TheC
04/17/2017 10:28 AMPosted by Dismas

sure dude...
as we watch every 9 year old in QP autolock Genji and do well with him because he is naturally super hard to hit and can always land shots with is spread attack. Not to mention his ult which almost always gets multiple kills unless the player is stupid enough to start it with no health.

0 hours on Genji and 4 on McCree.. Ok.. why are you here again?
Mcree needs more skill. For 1 thing, you need nearly flawless aim to be able to take down a pharah before your team is taken out and you'd need to be very aware of your surroundings cause you're not that fast and is only second to healers as priority target. While genji you got great mobility which gives a higher chance to survive. I've played with every hero and the only one I haven't master or gotten at an average player skill is mcree.
04/17/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Dismas
04/17/2017 10:33 AMPosted by TheC
sure dude...

Because I am not a fool like you who believes you must main a hero or think time played or rank means anything. Genji is in EVERY QP match. EVERY SINGLE ONE. He does well no matter what fool is using him because his kit is the strongest/most forgiving in OW. But go ahead and try to convince others that the character with the best mobility, a long range + short range spread shot, A deflect that is the size of a barn door and auto headshots, with more moves than they have buttons assigned, with every skill he has both offensive AND defensive, the best ult in the game and a tiny tiny tiny hitbox to put the icing on the cake is harder to play than a broken kit Mccree. You can try but you are wasting your time. The playerbase knows and we dont give a F if you have 10k hours on him.
04/17/2017 07:53 AMPosted by AzureStriker
Had a small discussion with another good friend (who plays Genji) over this.

They said Genji, I said McCree. Go figure.
No matter how much we talked, we couldn't find a path down the middle.

I still believe it's McCree, due to:

- A lack of mobility, also having really loud footsteps. Roll isn't that great...
- No defensive tools that work reliably. Flashbang is... well. You know.
- An ultimate that's very underwhelming (Guns vs. Swords, eh.)
- Needing greater enemy awareness due to being very susceptible to everything.
- Needing greater map awareness to make yourself effective to where enemies can hang out.

There's my two cents.
I want to see what everyone else thinks. But please.

If you disagree with someone, do so in a kind and respectful manner. This post was made to spark a conversation, not a confrontation.

Thank you.
you are comparing mccree with bugs and genji without bugs. Lets be clear here genji also has so many bugs. His shots are harder to land than mccree. I maybe bias because i play genji but what i say are true.
McCree has a higher skill floor, Genji has a higher skill ceiling.

McCree's skill is largely based off of your ability to aim. That's the one thing that can make you more awesome at playing him. If you have godlike aim (which isn't easy at all), he's a beast. His kit and mobility are sorely lacking, but if you stick with your team you have a much higher chance of success.

Genji, on the other hand, plays much differently. High mobility, great kit, tiny hitbox. But, he usually has to dive right into the middle of the enemy team to get anything done, which requires a good sense of when is the best time to dive. He also spends a lot of his time away from his healers, so map knowledge is a must. Mastery of his abilities also takes time to learn, and you have to continue playing him to hold on to that skill. I used to be an effective Genji (though not great at him), but I stopped playing him for several months and can't do anything with him now. And I'm even worse at McCree.

- A lack of mobility, also having really loud footsteps. Roll isn't that great...
- Needing greater map awareness to make yourself effective to where enemies can hang out.

There's my two cents.

If you disagree with someone, do so in a kind and respectful manner. This post was made to spark a conversation, not a confrontation.

Thank you.

Genji by far, McCree only takes mechanical skill and little to none game sense compared to other heroes

Genji on the other hand take a lot of game sense and mechanical skill, easily top three hardest heroes to master next to sombra and Ana
04/17/2017 10:46 AMPosted by GiantAxe

There's my two cents.

Thank you.

Genji by far, McCree only takes mechanical skill and little to none game sense compared to other heroes

Genji on the other hand take a lot of game sense and mechanical skill, easily top three hardest heroes to master next to sombra and Ana

'Genji requires game sense'

Spamming I need healing and picking the fifth dps slot as Genji is not game sense
04/17/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Time
ITT: People conflate a learning curve with skill.

Just because something is more complicated, does not mean it takes more skill. Skill is determined by how well you can make a kit work for you, and how difficult it is to make that kit work.

McCree has a crappy kit. If the player can make his difficult kit work against heroes with stronger kits, that means they are more skilled than the player with the better kit.

Genji has one of the most forgiving kits in the game. If a Genji loses to a McCree, it's because the McCree is straight up better than them. Not even by a small amount, but by a significant margin. Genji is easy to play well because his kit makes it easy.

Those of you who are equating higher mobility with higher difficulty in movement economy are just plain dumb. That's not how it works. It's the exact opposite. Torbjorn takes a lot of movement economy skill, because he moves very slowly and is easily punished for breaking cover. Genji is among the easiest, if not the easiest, movement economy heroes currently in the game.

Absolutely baffling.

This is pretty much it. To have the same impact on the game a McCree will simply have to be more skilled because his kit is garbage and necessitates a high level of mechanical skill and positioning. There is no forgiveness with him whatsoever. You either hit your shots or you die.
04/17/2017 10:42 AMPosted by TheC
04/17/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Dismas

Because I am not a fool like you who believes you must main a hero or think time played or rank means anything. Genji is in EVERY QP match. EVERY SINGLE ONE. He does well no matter what fool is using him because his kit is the strongest/most forgiving in OW. But go ahead and try to convince others that the character with the best mobility, a long range + short range spread shot, A deflect that is the size of a barn door and auto headshots, with more moves than they have buttons assigned, with every skill he has both offensive AND defensive, the best ult in the game and a tiny tiny tiny hitbox to put the icing on the cake is harder to play than a broken kit Mccree. You can try but you are wasting your time. The playerbase knows and we dont give a F if you have 10k hours on him.

Spotted the salty kid who thinks he knows something better with no experience.
Genji's mechanic is hard to learn and to master. However, while McCree's mechanic is less difficult, he needs to be taken care so much more than Genji.

Low mobility, no sustain, perfect accuracy, no way to deal melee attack.

I think it is McCree.
04/17/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Time

Absolutely baffling.

i think what you wrote is baffling. sure genji has a lot of movement options, but with increased movement comes decreased damage because he becomes a lot less accurate with his shots, which are projectiles. mccree's accuracy is always fairly high because he has limited movement, and can place himself at a safe distance to attack at all times.

mccree's kit isn't !@#$. he has flashbang, which can kill genji without much skill needed. he has roll to maintain his high dps. he has high noon to pick off single or multiple targets from a distance. let's not forget his left click. even with all of genji's movement, it's not useful versus a mccree because his left click is accurate, unlike soldier or tracer for instance.

if a genji wants to kill a mccree, he has to outplay the mccree, not the other way around. you have to consider where genji is most effective. he's most effective right in your face. mccree will always have his flashbang up because there's never a reason for him to use it from his optimal range. if a mccree doesn't fall for the deflect, the genji has to retreat, otherwise he'll die. this is the same respect a genji must do with roadhog.
There's not much more to say here but...

When was the last time you saw a McCree wiping out an enemy team?
Anyone gonna respond rather than downvoting it? I would like to know what you have for points that i made.
04/17/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Dismas
04/17/2017 10:42 AMPosted by TheC

Spotted the salty kid who thinks he knows something better with no experience.

Look. I know its difficult for you to understand because you like Genji. Here, let me spell it out for you big guy.
I dont like Genji. I dont like Mccree. I have no bias unlike you. They both suck balls to me, that is why I dont play either. But i do play against them and against them often. ESPECIALLY GENJI. I play against him more than ANY OTHER HERO and it is not even close. that is my exp concerning Genji. A vast store of exp as usually i am the one relegated to dealing with him as he flips around the payload with my whole team shooting right through him.
Next time that 9 year old autolocks Genji before you can and he gets POTG you can think about me laughing at your ludicrous notion of him being harder to play than Mccree.
Raw aim mechanical skill its McCree. Micro management of decision making, its Genji.