Disconnections causing UNFAIR penalties after Uprising patch

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
not sure if this is the same thing, because i don't get disconnected mid-game, i just get kicked out with the "lost connection to game server" screen a minute after i start overwatch. it's only started since the uprising update. i have no way to join my friends now and play lmao...
04/21/2017 06:06 PMPosted by necroire
not sure if this is the same thing, because i don't get disconnected mid-game, i just get kicked out with the "lost connection to game server" screen a minute after i start overwatch. it's only started since the uprising update. i have no way to join my friends now and play lmao...

Can you not log on? I don't know if you're PC or not, but for me, as a console player, I take out the disk and clean the disc, which usually cleans the connection problems. Try to solve your way around it. Just try. Hopefully you'll fix it. GL dude, all tips I can give.
This started happening for me as of about a month or two ago. Whenever I disconnect (even if its a 1 second DC where all I have to do is type in my username and pass again) and then log back on to get back into the match, it just doesn't let me back into the server. It will give the map loading screen for about 10 seconds, and then just kick me and say that it failed to connect me to game server.

This never really bugged me while practicing in quick-play, but now that I am getting more into competitive it has become a HUGE issue. I get about 2 two second disconnect every 2 hours or so, that will happen at a random time between said two hours. Twice already they have occurred while in the pregame for a competitive match. It normally wouldn't be an issue, because I could log back in before the timer ran out and happily continue playing on the rest of the match. But now, I disconnect for a second, type in my info as fast as I can, and then proceed to get kicked from the server and lose 50 competitive points as well as receiving a temporary ban.

Is there a way to fix this? Or is this going to be how Overwatch is from now on?
Hundreds/Thousands of games. Not a single disconnect.

Started getting disconnected over the last three days. It's always during Hero Select, it always kicks me back to menu and says "Failure To Connect To Servers", I immediately close OW and restart it and everything works fine, but it's I guess 15 seconds is way too long. I can't rejoin the game, and I'm now classified as a leaver and can't play. It has nothing to do with anything on my end, as Discord it up the entire time without dropping at all.

Is my only option to quit playing? What broke with this new damned patch?
Since the Uprising patch, I've had increasing difficulties with seeing people's characters in-game, both enemy and friendly. Not just in Uprising, but in all play modes. It's gotten to the point where it takes up to three minutes for models to load, and even sound effects.

Furthermore, it seems to have effected my ability to load into Competitive matches, and tonight, I timed out on the loading screen. I tried to get back immediately (within five seconds of being returned to the home screen) but was locked out, and temporarily banned as a Leaver.

I have stable internet. It's not the fastest, but it should be enough to handle Overwatch, since it's 3MBS. I had good ping, even on the loading screen.

Now I know what people are going to suggest first: turn down my settings. Already done that. Minimal settings. Plus I've got 16GBs of RAM, and I've been watching my disk and memory usage in-game, so I know it's not something on my computer's end.

This only started once the event came out. But, of course, I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks they know a fix.
same whenever i play it keeps disconnects me everytime i even got penality in quick play , i stopped playing comp becuase of this issue and i think am gonna leave overwatch forever is this problem no solved quickly
BUMP 48hours and no service from blizzard.. thanks guys
'Disconnected from game server'
Had this happen 4 times today, 2 times in competetive resulting in me being suspended and twice in quickplay for testing. This was all on very short notice(within the hour) I never had this issue. All my other games that require a connection are fine, so are my drivers, my router, my internet heck everything is fine except this game. And when I tried making a support ticket it took my 20 minutes explaining everything, uploading my files and then on the submet 'something went wrong on our end' and all my data was lost (super pissed atm, sorry) so anyone had a fix for this?
04/17/2017 01:57 PMPosted by PureMourning
I was in Skirmish waiting for comp... a game was found and the character select screen was loading. The whole team got bumped back to the title screen and I loss 50 SR. WTF?

I've never had this issue since the game came out and have kick-!@# internet.

I just had exactly THE SAME issue. I expect Blizzard to roll back the SR that was unjustly taken from us.
Hey all,

Since the majority of this thread is related to feedback on the leaver system, I'm moving it to Competitive Discussion so that more of the community will see it and can contribute. Let's try to keep leaver system feedback here, and reach out to us in Tech Support for help with your connections.

There aren't any overarching server issues that are causing this at the time of this posting. This isn't to say that we never have hiccups on our end, but we post on twitter and on the website's breaking news whenever we can about server problems/connection issues near us. The servers are constantly being monitored to prevent this kind of issue as much as possible. Usually after some investigation for these kinds of disconnections or failure to connect to games, we find some problem with your local configuration or the internet path between you and our servers. If you want help troubleshooting the core cause of your disconnections so that you can avoid this in the future, submit a ticket to work directly with our support, or create your own post on the Tech Support Forums.

Note that we do not reimburse ranking or remove suspensions for leaver penalties. Whether or not the problem is in your control, leaving the game for any reason affects the play experience of other players.
This post provides a bit more insight on the philosophy behind how we treat leavers in general, and why it's the penalties are the same for technical issues.
Highly Rated
Glad to see that even though its suddenly happening after the uprising patch to hundreds of people spamming this forum for the last four days its still probably somehow our fault! \o/

Who else loves being unfairly banned from competitive because it registers you as an instant quitter and wont let you rejoin no matter the cost? :D
04/22/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Drakuloth
Hey all,

Since the majority of this thread is related to feedback on the leaver system, I'm moving it to Competitive Discussion so that more of the community will see it and can contribute. Let's try to keep leaver system feedback here, and reach out to us in Tech Support for help with your connections.

There aren't any overarching server issues that are causing this at the time of this posting. This isn't to say that we never have hiccups on our end, but we post [url="https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS"]on twitter[/url] and on the website's breaking news whenever we can about server problems/connection issues near us. The servers are constantly being monitored to prevent this kind of issue as much as possible. Usually after some investigation for these kinds of disconnections or failure to connect to games, we find some problem with your local configuration or the internet path between you and our servers. If you want help troubleshooting the core cause of your disconnections so that you can avoid this in the future, [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/overwatch/907"]submit a ticket[/url] to work directly with our support, or create your own post on the [url="https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/22813880/"]Tech Support Forums[/url].

Note that we do not reimburse ranking or remove suspensions for leaver penalties. Whether or not the problem is in your control, leaving the game for any reason affects the play experience of other players.
[url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749067802#post-13"]This post[/url] provides a bit more insight on the philosophy behind how we treat leavers in general, and why it's the penalties are the same for technical issues.

First of all, thanks for the answer.

Second, this post was born as a petition to revert back to the previous
disconnection policies, but it also evolved into a general request for investigating the problems that are causing so many disconnections.

Anyway I think that you may be right when you say that it belongs more to the competitive forum (even if this system is causing problems in other matches also, not only in ranked); but then, since you moved it, let's hope that some developer from the competitive forum can listen to us.

We are unfairly punished more than a real troller or real leaver.
Same here. I got disconnected and banned only 5 mins ago. Watch this:

https://youtu.be/T0qrqYK5myY
04/17/2017 11:46 AMPosted by Klomar
Before the Uprising patch:
if you got disconnected from the server during a match, your hero just stayed ingame, doing nothing at all, but it was there. If you could get back quickly (within 1 or 2 minutes) you'd be automatically rejoining the game and retaking control of your hero. All of your stats, medals, fire points and ultimate charge were untouched. Plus, if your team in the meanwhile won the game, you won aswell. On the other hand, if you couldn't get back, you were treated as a leaver, and the game would give to you the penalty of the case. This system worked just fine and was fair.

After the patch:
if you get a disconnection from the server during a game, you are immediately treated as a leaver. Your hero disappears from the game. When you log in, you can get back into the game by clicking the rejoin button, but you gain the "status" of a leaver anyway (even if you can get back into the game in like 30 seconds).

I wholeheartedly agree. I have generally stable internet connect. It's not some low bandwidth connection from middle of nowhere USA either. I live near a major city and have 50mbps down. This however means there's occasional congestion beyond my control, and once in a while (usually in the evenings) it causes a disconnect. No big deal in the past, plop my account info back in, I'm back in game under a minute and usually have not missed anything major or game losing. And I didn't just sit on my hands and come to that assumption, I worked to clean up the connection I have at home and went through blizzards tech support post of "use google dns, stop blocking these ports, reconnect." Now I just am straight up no longer able to continue the game unless it's quickplay.

04/17/2017 11:46 AMPosted by Klomar
- in the Uprising event you cannot get back into the game. The other members of the match will finish the game without the 4th member. If you were in party with someone of them you can join the game but only as a spectator and you do not get ANYTHING for the win.

And this was pretty much the last straw this last week. Connection was misbehaving one night, I got disconnected in two different Uprising games, second time right before the end. Couldn't get back in to wrap up the game even though I reconnected quickly, and I'm sure my team lost because of that. I haven't played for a few days now and I'm pretty much not looking to get back into Overwatch if this remains the way it is, because yes, disconnects are not fun for the team, but blizzard seams to callously ignore or dismiss that it's not fun for the player either.

This post provides a bit more insight on the philosophy behind how we treat leavers in general, and why it's the penalties are the same for technical issues.

The above quote is effectively a non-answer that just reiterates this new approach of "perfect connections only" that has simply has made that problem worse. I must note, this is unique to Overwatch of the games I play. I no longer play League of Legends or CSGO, but I did not have connection issues with those games (same connection btw) minus the occasional lag spike. Certainly no disconnects minus extreme circumstances, and absolutely no insane inability to rejoin the game you were playing.

Anyways, I'm hoping at some point the Overwatch team takes a step back and cools their jets on the disconnects. Players who have connection hiccups, but make a speedy (not 10s light speed, but 60 or 120s - basically enough time to enter their credentials and reconnect) reconnection to the game should not be arbitrarily punished in this manner. I'm sure the majority of people who do reconnect quickly are really not breaking the game and totally shifting the outcome of the game. Generally a matches skill gap in the middle SR range that I'm at have a decided skill gap, and that gap is not the teams connectivity quality. Until they do get rid of this nonsense though, I'm out. Which is a shame, I really was enjoying this game.

edit: formatting
The amount of people that have disconnection problems in 2017 is astonishing.
I'm suprised blizzard haven't implement pause voting system yet..

It's easily solve most the problem above
I've been having this issue since early march and this last update has only made it worse. This is about the only game I play nowadays so I really hope there is a fix soon.
Hey all,

There aren't any overarching server issues that are causing this at the time of this posting. This isn't to say that we never have hiccups on our end, but we post [url="https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS"]on twitter[/url] and on the website's breaking news whenever we can about server problems/connection issues near us. The servers are constantly being monitored to prevent this kind of issue as much as possible. Usually after some investigation for these kinds of disconnections or failure to connect to games, we find some problem with your local configuration or the internet path between you and our servers. If you want help troubleshooting the core cause of your disconnections so that you can avoid this in the future, [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/overwatch/907"]submit a ticket[/url] to work directly with our support, or create your own post on the [url="https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/22813880/"]Tech Support Forums[/url].

[url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749067802#post-13"]This post[/url] provides a bit more insight on the philosophy behind how we treat leavers in general, and why it's the penalties are the same for technical issues.

Why are you guys unable to admit any serious fault ever? It's so frustrating. You guys must really hate us. I've lost like 100SR over this.
Hey all,

If the issue is on your end as a result of the latest patch, then yes, we should be reimbursed for our losses. This issue is out of our control, but it's entirely within Blizzard's control. Fix it, or lose players. But don't dare put the blame on us when the issue is on your end.
All other games which I play online have no issue in regards to random disconnects. When I first purchased Overwatch I had no issues at all regarding Disconnects it was not until the past few months that I have become plagued by random DCs in both Competitive and Quick Play. I have often scanned these forums regarding how to "fix" this issue however have mustered no solid solution or response to this issue. Whether I be connected to discord or not, have any other programs running or not, Overwatch still manages to Disconnect and to add insult to injury prior to this most recent patch I was able to login and re-join the match however now that opportunity is no longer given, leading to a ban or restriction as well as the loss of SR points in competitive . Overwatch a game I have sunk a solid set of hours into is kicking me out for playing the game, denying me the ability to play it in a competitive environment, deducting SR, and then discouraging playing it further with a restriction on what game mode for a specified amount of time increasing each attempt. Lastly to come on the forums to still see a lackluster response in regards to solving this issue amounting in merely an implied "it's not our problem" response through saying the problem is on our end is truly frustrating. All anyone wants to do is play the game, while this problem may seem minor if only one case was appearing, just here you have dozens of posts including this lengthy one. So please take another look, give some solid solutions to this situation and make a public response so people can see. truly at this point the problem seems to be on your end Blizzard.