Mercy for bad players? No skill needed?

General Discussion
I don't play a lot of Mercy, in fact she's probably my least favorite hero (just isn't my style), but I wouldn't consider her "brain-dead". That would imply that anyone could just pick her up and do well, but there is a noticeable difference between good and bad Mercy players. When they fly, how often they heal everyone on their team (not just pocketing), when they switch between heal and damage, prioritizing who should be healed, when to rez, etc. She takes a lot of game sense. Never doubt a good Mercy.
Ignore what Taimbot says, he wouldn't know what legitimate skill was if it hit him in the face.
Regarding Mercy I would say that she's easy to pick up but extremely difficult to master and use effectively, good Mercy mains are a god send in a lot of situations.
I disagree, it's not a brain dead hero. OK, you don't aim as such but you need to know when to res, when to heal, who to heal etc and positioning
Mercy requires an incredible amount of skill... From her teammates.

Keeping track of Mercy's position constantly, making sure she's not in over her head, navigating to her instead of healthpacks, or navigating to healthpacks when she's busy with other teammates, and even sometimes repositioning yourself so that Mercy has an escape route available by flying to you, or waiting before going around a corner so that she can catch up. All of that requires skill with positioning, timing, spacial awareness, etc.

Mercy herself can spice up the attack dodging with flying to allies and kinda hovering, but short of picking out good hiding spots before rezzing, and not blowing the rez where it isn't needed, there's not too much there.

She takes a lot of skill, just less than 22 or 23 of the other heroes currently ingame.

This does mean, though, that at a higher level, she will be many times more effective, as your teammates will be more skilled and thus more easily able to do all the above stuff.
Mercy is exhausting to play. I'm constantly looking at everyone health trying to figure out who needs it the most while also looking at their positions so I know who to fly to next to run away from the ulting genji that popped his ult just for me.

She is not a brain dead hero. She is actually the opposite. My brain is working way harder playing her than anyone else.
Mercy is a easy to learn, hard to master hero the higher your rank is.

While Mercy excels easy time in lower elos she is a LOT harder to play once all the Genjis and Tracers have good aim and know how to dodge and deflect.

Mercy mains are not bad players, they are bad DPS because they are GOOD supports. They don't need to shoot, they need to do one thing: SURVIVE!

You try surviving with 0 damage while Genji chases you over the map and your team screams "Mercy, where is our Rez?! Need healing!".

I want to see all the complaining GMs play Mercy in every game and climb the ladder with it.
Taimou always had a personal problem with Mercy.
But he's not the only "insitution" in overwatch.
So play her and judge for yourself.

Mercy is 50% positioning, 30% awareness and 20% healing/boosting.
And those 80% non-mechanical requirements to be a great Mercy,
are not something you just pick up in a wink.
Regardless what Taimou or anyone else says.
A Mercy that lacks in one of those first departments, is more dead than alive and totally useless.
So in my eyes, the skill set needed for playing Mercy is the one with the most emphasise on positioning and awareness of all healers.
Ana has tools to compensate suboptimal positioning to some extend, Lucio has mobility and Zen has raw damage.
But Mercy's lifeline is strongly connected to those things.
Just holding LMB won't cut it.
04/24/2017 12:13 PMPosted by Shabazza

A Mercy that lacks in one of those first departments, is more dead than alive and totally useless.
So in my eyes, the skill set needed for playing Mercy is the one with the most emphasise on positioning and awareness of all healers.
Ana has tools to compensate suboptimal positioning to some extend, Lucio has mobility and Zen has raw damage.

that moment when your gold with a 41 percent win rate on mercy and you start to whip out game analysis with numbers while having no clue.. :'( feels bad man..
04/25/2017 01:38 PMPosted by Chewy
04/24/2017 12:13 PMPosted by Shabazza

that moment when your gold with a 41 percent win rate on mercy and you start to whip out game analysis with numbers while having no clue.. :'( feels bad man..
That doesnt make his argument less true.
I always fiund mercy difficult because

1. she has a target on her back. she will be the one the enemy tries to kill first.

2. utlity of dmg boost vs speed boost situationall while maintaning your kwn and your teams survivability.

3. finishing low healther with pistol whips.

4. ult timing and learning when and being capable of mid skirmish rezzes of 1-3 team members in order to win the skirmish and keep momentum. obtaining ult often enough to do these rezzes nearly every push.
As someone who plays Mercy a lot: As long as you're not getting focused by heros like Genji, Winston, etc. she's the easiest support to be effective with.

The problem with her is that basically 50% of her true potential come from her teammates positioning and not her own. So even when you are one of the best Mercys around, if your teammates run around behind corners and leave you alone all the time you wont be as good as you could be.
theres only a handful of things to do as mercy, heal, position, dmg boost, and rez. and if you're dead you're doing it wrong.

that leaves just 2 key things, knowing when to rez, and where to stand, often its behind the reinhardt.

so "whats the difference between a 2k mercy and a 4k mercy"

actually turning fights around with proper rezzes, namely after they grav + barrage combo. THEN using your ults.

basically what it comes down too, is mercy is the hero with the least impact on the team who wins/losses (not that theres no impact, or mercys cant do anything or they dont have their moment to shine) its just that literally everyone else can do more for the team than R after a bad situation.
Mechanical skill is the anti-thesis of thought in an FPS. The more you have to think about your aim the worse it is. Widowmaker is truly the most braindead hero - you need to be so trained in reaction and flicking that you execute without thinking. If you have to think you will be slower and miss more shots.
04/25/2017 01:38 PMPosted by Chewy

Sorry. I didn't know that my win rate with Mercy makes my arguments less valid, Mr. Masters with a whopping 44% win rate on Mercy.
Perharps I should first try to die twice as much with her - like you do - to make my statement more valuable.

I apologize for the sarcasm. But just by not being a top 500 Mercy, does not mean I don't understand what is needed to play her well.
A player that got to your rank should be very aware of this.
Mercy has a low mechanical skill requirement, as in you don't need to aim, you have relatively little to manage skill-wise. It's GA, primary, and pistol. And even then most people start off ignoring her pistol to master the other two. But that's all there really is to her mechanically, which makes her easy to pick up.

To be a GOOD Mercy, however, you need pretty strong decision making abilities, which is pretty rare believe it or not. You need to have good spacial awareness, you need to actively monitor ALL of your teammates. You need to know when to swap targets, when to damage boost, when you have the freedom to bust out your pistol, when and whom to GA to, where the enemy team is (to watch for flankers), you need to monitor enemy ults (you'd be surprised how many Mercys don't do this and then end up rezzing their team into 3 enemy ults), when/who to rez (much trickier than it seems - there are lots of factors to consider such as vicinity to respawn, how much time is remaining, how close to next checkpoint, if can only rez 2 out of 3 people, which 2 do you choose?). All of this stuff has to be made on the fly.

Sure, you COULD simply play Mercy with tunnel vision only healing tanks and then every so often turning around to see if anyone else needs healing and then rezzing as soon as a couple people die. But there's so much more to her than that to make effective decisions.

Versus someone like S76 or Pharah that really just need to point and shoot at bad guys, prioritizing healers. That's literally all they have to worry about, in addition to properly coordinating ults. Bad guy? BAD GUY! *shoots at bad guys*
Mercy is an easy hero to pick up but she is really hard to master. A good mercy can be the bane of the enemy team and a bad mercy can be ult charge for them.
04/24/2017 10:50 AMPosted by Nicolas53401
It is also known that mercy is very easy and u need no skill for her.

No.
04/24/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Bogdi0711
Mercy requires godlike positioning and communication to work.

I never got this line of thought. She does require good positioning, but so does every other character. If anything, Mercy is more forgiving because of her movement ability. If I'm playing as Ana and find myself in a bad position, I have to walk to a better one. With Mercy, I just have to find a teammate and move extremely quickly.

As far as communication goes, telling a teammate to come to a ledge to give you LOS or something isn't that difficult. I can't really think of much other communication Mercy has to do that other characters don't (ult charge, if they're being attacked, enemy callouts, etc.).

Mercy definitely isn't a 'no skill' hero, but she does have a lower skill ceiling than most other characters.
Mercy is easy as hell to pick up, and probably the only character that can be well-played with one hand thumbing a macbook trackpad. Most people will figure out all that her controls have to offer in fewer than 5 games.

Now not dying, ironically, gets pretty damn hard after a while and I agree that it takes a complete different skillset to pull off a good Mercy compared to let's say McCree or Winston, but people will go on and on about mad positioning and Illuminati levels of game sense acting like it's a big secret only the Mercy Freemasons are capable of knowing about.

Positioning and game sense are things that can be applied to every single character, and knowledge of these two separates the bad players from the good ones, and aiming isn't even accounted for yet.

From one masochist Mercy main to the others:
We're not special, everyone has an internal sense of ult usage, everyone knows if a choke is constantly exploding that you shouldn't walk forward, everyone knows if an enemy is low you should shoot them instead of waving goodbye, everyone knows if you're a high value target you shouldn't expose yourself for too long.

There is little to Mercy that other people aren't worrying about themselves. The things that are unique to Mercy are pretty trivial, too.

When should I damage boost?
When they're not getting pounded

Should I follow this staggered teammate into a 2v6?
You wouldn't even do that as Reinhardt.

When should I bug off and hide?
When that barely charged Zarya is way too confident

And knowing when to res is as easy as counting to and from 6, or checking if your immediate area is up in flames.

Now, let's drop the mentality that playing Mercy is walking 5 mentally incompetent dogs around on our fancy yellow leash and everything is harder than DPS or Tank roles. Different job, different skills is a one-way argument apparently

tl;dr

Easy controls? Yes

Is it super easy to distinguish a bad mercy from a good one? and does positioning and game sense play a big part of that? Absolutely

Are you special? No

Did I come off as an #%*@!#@##!*? Yes
04/26/2017 12:42 PMPosted by Ambulance
Mercy is easy as hell to pick up, and probably the only character that can be well-played with one hand thumbing a macbook trackpad. Most people will figure out all that her controls have to offer in fewer than 5 games.

Now not dying, ironically, gets pretty damn hard after a while and I agree that it takes a complete different skillset to pull off a good Mercy compared to let's say McCree or Winston, but people will go on and on about mad positioning and Illuminati levels of game sense acting like it's a big secret only the Mercy Freemasons are capable of knowing about.

Positioning and game sense are things that can be applied to every single character, and knowledge of these two separates the bad players from the good ones, and aiming isn't even accounted for yet.

From one masochist Mercy main to the others:
We're not special, everyone has an internal sense of ult usage, everyone knows if a choke is constantly exploding that you shouldn't walk forward, everyone knows if an enemy is low you should shoot them instead of waving goodbye, everyone knows if you're a high value target you shouldn't expose yourself for too long.

There is little to Mercy that other people aren't worrying about themselves. The things that are unique to Mercy are pretty trivial, too.

When should I damage boost?
When they're not getting pounded

Should I follow this staggered teammate into a 2v6?
You wouldn't even do that as Reinhardt.

When should I bug off and hide?
When that barely charged Zarya is way too confident

And knowing when to res is as easy as counting to and from 6, or checking if your immediate area is up in flames.

Now, let's drop the mentality that playing Mercy is walking 5 mentally incompetent dogs around on our fancy yellow leash and everything is harder than DPS or Tank roles. Different job, different skills is a one-way argument apparently

tl;dr

Easy controls? Yes

Is it super easy to distinguish a bad mercy from a good one? and does positioning and game sense play a big part of that? Absolutely

Are you special? No

Did I come off as an #%*@!#@##!*? Yes
So I am not special? (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻