The Toxic Competitive Community for Women

General Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
Highly Rated
Hello,

I've only been playing in competitive fairly recently, but I've noticed and obvious issue with how women are treated when they use their microphones. As a woman, I've recently been hesitant to even join the voice channel. It's not every game, but at the very least it is 1 out of 5 of my games. The reaction is usually anywhere from calling me horrible names to reducing me to a sexual object. I've been reporting them, but I feel like it falls on deaf ears. It makes me sad to know the only ways I can avoid getting berated is to either stay off the voice channel or have a six stack of trusted players. I just want to know if there is anything the company is trying to do to prevent the mistreatment of their female players. I know quite a few women that refuse to play competitive now, and I'm almost at that point myself. I love this game, I'm just at a loss of what to do.

I'm hopeful for a response,

Hexrgon
I feel your pain lady.
Sadly, this is a problem in just about any other game and unless the companies start to ban those people right away (a bit harsh, I know, but why in the world would you insult a woman anyway ?!?!?), there is not much to be done about that.
Literally who cares? The community is toxic for anyone who enjoys playing the game. Maybe we should discuss that instead of whining endlessly about pointless stuff like that? I think maybe getting people to accept that playing the game and wanting to play the game is a good idea.
Highly Rated
As a woman, I experienced it in different games. The best part about playing video games is that I can mute, block, and report people. So it's not really a problem for me. This is not an Overwatch problem but a people problem. People become more brave when there's no threat to them hence why you're most likely to get harassed in a video game than in public. There's really nothing we can do about this epidemic but just to not let it get to us and to continue doing what we love which is playing Overwatch.
04/18/2017 09:59 PMPosted by Hexrgon
Hello,

I've only been playing in competitive fairly recently, but I've noticed and obvious issue with how women are treated when they use their microphones. As a woman, I've recently been hesitant to even join the voice channel. It's not every game, but at the very least it is 1 out of 5 of my games. The reaction is usually anywhere from calling me horrible names to reducing me to a sexual object. I've been reporting them, but I feel like it falls on deaf ears. It makes me sad to know the only ways I can avoid getting berated is to either stay off the voice channel or have a six stack of trusted players. I just want to know if there is anything the company is trying to do to prevent the mistreatment of their female players. I know quite a few women that refuse to play competitive now, and I'm almost at that point myself. I love this game, I'm just at a loss of what to do.

I'm hopeful for a response,

Hexrgon
Grow thicker skin or just mute the people that are obvious problems. People are annoying, especially when they have the safety blanket of the internet to hide their identity. Either way everyone here gets people that are nuisances 1 out of every 5 games. It's not just you, so in short either learn to deal or stop playing.
This is unfortunately a issue in most games. I do hope that Blizzard does take action on this, it could be a great start for other gaming companies to remove these stereotypes.
I don't think that this is a pointless cause. There is an entire community of players that get verbally attacked for using their mic, that's a pretty big deal. I just want to know that if I do keep reporting these people, some good might come of it, or at least if Blizzard has some kind of plan of attack to deal with this issue.
Online gaming requires some thick skin. You should expect the worst out of people and be prepared for any toxicity. This isn't necessarily a female-specific issue either; male players also get harassed and insulted. Reporting honestly doesn't do anything (unless enough people complain about one individual) it's just a feel good button. This is just a reality you have to accept about the community, but there are a lot of decent, rational people as well.
Highly Rated
They don't harass you because you're a girl, they use the fact that you're a girl as a way to harass you. People who feel like harassing will use whatever they can against you. Accent, voice, gender, rank, etc. I know the online game environment isn't always great for women, but harassment isn't endemic to female players.

Just report and move on. I'm not going to say 'toughen up" or anything, because that would be implying toxicity is fine. But there's no efficient way to prevent it, unfortunately. When toxic players gather enough reports, they're bound to get what's coming to them at some point.

Don't let people get the best of you. Let the best of you get to people. I know this make no sense, but still don't let people get the best of you.
Jerks are going to be jerks no matter who they are targeting. They just decided female is the easiest subject to attack because they know nothing else about you.

Just like any other !@#$%^-* just block, mute, report, keep playing.
Im a female too and I see people being dicks to me maybe 1/10 games, it does happen and it sucks and boys are so quick to say that the girl is why we're losing.
but at the same time, I've seen men be really toxic to other men.

I as well used to be really toxic and would defend myself but now when in ranked i'll really only talk if its needed, for call outs and asking for help if im support. except tonight I told some guys to simmer down (2 of them where super tilted and toxic to each other)

after talking stern to them we ended up winning and there was zero toxicity towards me. but ho boy did they really go at each other. This is not new to overwatch though. I used to play a lot of WoW and that is where I learned that people are really harsh to women. They made me push so hard when raiding and they used to claim I was getting carried in rbgs. It happens but you just gotta deal.
First, let me say "good for you" for standing up for yourself. Report the little boys, who are afraid they'll get girl cooties, for the misogynist trolls they are. That said, the gender of the target only changes the tactics used to bully, not the message being sent.

I've heard some of the voice comm trolling/toxicity my 23 y.o. daughter has had to wade through in Comp. She's pretty good at making a stinging comeback remark if she doesn't feel like letting it roll off her back. But I realize not everyone is built the same way; I'm not built to put up with that. The plethora of self-appointed team captains, random ragers and generally angry strangers, who don't have to fear a punch in the grill for what comes out of their mouth, drove me out of Competitive by mid-season 3.

I'm afraid that Competitive mode brings out both the best and worst in people. You'll probably make more friends in Comp, but you'll definitely meet more raging jerks, as well. I'd much rather stick to QP and Arcade, where no one talks at all, than listen to that crap.

I'm sure Blizzard would love to prevent the mistreatment of all their players, but there's only so much they can do. Certainly, monitoring tens of thousands of concurrent games simultaneously is beyond their capability. They rely on good people reporting bad behavior to point out to them which people they need to keep an eye on.

Best of luck to you.
It's not really a gendered issue. This happens to anyone who sounds different. Gay, high-pitched, have a speaking problem/stutter, whatever; you get toxicity for it. I'm a gay dude. In no way do I sound even remotely straight. I've been harassed a bunch for it, both sexually and nonsexually.

The only thing you can do is report, mute, block, and move on.

Edit
Am I getting thumbed down because I dared to challenge the notion that online sexual harassment is a gendered problem? Because it isn't. If that's hard for you to swallow, I don't know what to tell you.
04/18/2017 10:06 PMPosted by GoldEXP
Literally who cares? The community is toxic for anyone who enjoys playing the game. Maybe we should discuss that instead of whining endlessly about pointless stuff like that? I think maybe getting people to accept that playing the game and wanting to play the game is a good idea.

Did you just disagree with a WOMAN? ON THE INTERNET???? Prepare to drown in a sea of red thumbs.
04/18/2017 10:04 PMPosted by MEDUSA
I feel your pain lady.
Sadly, this is a problem in just about any other game and unless the companies start to ban those people right away (a bit harsh, I know, but why in the world would you insult a woman anyway ?!?!?), there is not much to be done about that.

*Tips fedora*
M'lady.

More like, why would you ever insult your own team mate at ALL not just ladies, jeez. I hate this behaviour in my matches, super toxic and aggressive players should be punished in my opinion.
I wish some hot female Over Watch player would reduce me to a sexy object. Then do emote push-ups on top of me :) Perferably Widow Maker I think :)
04/18/2017 10:06 PMPosted by GoldEXP
online gaming communities are toxic yeah, but you're delusional if you think women don't experience toxic behavior exponentially worse. women talk in the mics, and suddenly their gender gets put on the spotlight which rarely happens as a guy (unless their voices are high pitched, i guess)
I see a lot of people saying to grow thicker skin and to continue report/mute/blocking. I know that if I would like to continue playing for right now that's how it has to be, but I would like to think that things will hopefully be different in the future. Knowing Blizzard and how they like to be at the forefront of the gaming community, I would hope that they have some sort of plan to change the way things are now.
Just gonna repost this every time this thread is made.

*round starts*
"Hey guys girl gamer here XD"
"k"
"Maybe you didn't hear me, I said i'm a GIRL GAMER XPPPP"
"Yeah...hey Junkrat would you mind switching to Pharah? We're having some trouble here"
"OMG I can't believe the !@#$ you're giving me for being a Girl Gamer™"

Been playing vidya since shareware doom on my first black and white pc, and this is generally the extent I've ever seen of women getting %^-* while in games. In 3000 hours of TF2 it was almost always just guys being pathetic and all asking for her to add them to friends etc. Which is annoying/borderline harassment in it's own right, but it seems like this all always gets blown out of proportion.

And after 11 years of WoW, the only difference I've seen between men and women (if any) is preferential treatment to females (or men pretending to be females for some !@#$ed up reason).

If every time someone called me a mean name I came to this forum and started a new thread about it, I would have to start paying Blizz for server space.